THE BROWNS BOARD

Ref Admits Steelers Got Gift Super Bowl

Riffer X

Most sensible Steeler fans that I know realized that their team received quite a few gifts in that game and that it most definitely helped determine the outcome of the game. It doesn't make the Steelers any less deserving IMO. It is part of the game. Bad calls happen. They just happened a lot in that SB and the vast majority went the Steelers' way.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most sensible Steeler fans that I know realized that their team received quite a few gifts in that game and that it most definitely helped determine the outcome of the game. It doesn't make the Steelers any less deserving IMO. It is part of the game. Bad calls happen. They just happened a lot in that SB and the vast majority went the Steelers' way.

The calls went both ways that game. I can't tell you how many times I've been through this same song and dance in the past and quite frankly I'm tired of arguing about it. I broke the entire game down at one point and poor calls certainly hit both teams. One fact remains in my opinion and that's if the outcome was in some way reversed. Everyone would be bitching about the missed calls in the Steelers favor and not the other way around. The bottom line is the better team won that game and over came A LOT of poor calls leading up to the Super Bowl. What goes around comes around. Levy should be ashamed of himself for bringing it up this far gone. If he had such a issue with his calls he should have brought it up immediately and made it known he felt he made a few mistakes. I guess with the Steelers off season he figured he should just take the opportunity to pile it on and rid himself of some guilt.

The calls went both ways that game. I can't tell you how many times I've been through this same song and dance in the past and quite frankly I'm tired of arguing about it. I broke the entire game down at one point and poor calls certainly hit both teams. One fact remains in my opinion and that's if the outcome was in some way reversed. Everyone would be bitching about the missed calls in the Steelers favor and not the other way around. The bottom line is the better team won that game and over came A LOT of poor calls leading up to the Super Bowl. What goes around comes around. Levy should be ashamed of himself for bringing it up this far gone. If he had such a issue with his calls he should have brought it up immediately and made it known he felt he made a few mistakes. I guess with the Steelers off season he figured he should just take the opportunity to pile it on and rid himself of some guilt.

It's funny, no other fan outside of Steeler fans agree with you. How do you explain that every other fan out there plus the ref in the game saying that Seattle got hosed? Even a few Steeler fans that I know realized that they benefited from poor officiating.

It's funny, no other fan outside of Steeler fans agree with you. How do you explain that every other fan out there plus the ref in the game saying that Seattle got hosed? Even a few Steeler fans that I know realized that they benefited from poor officiating.

And what fan experience do you have exactly outside of your own city? Everyone outside Pittsburgh thinks "X" but how many different walks of fandom have you encountered? Obviously Cleveland thinks the fix was in because Cleveland hates Pittsburgh. The Seahawks cry because it was their team that lost. Ravens fans, Bengal fans can all be lumped in to category one. What other fans have you encountered to confirm your assumption? I'd wager not many and after that game SOOOOO many people broke down game tape and in just about every instance calls were shown that went BOTH ways. The game was not officiated perfectly but how many games are? The Jackson pass interference call was a blatant push off IN THE END ZONE. James Harrison was being held almost the ENTIRE game. Hell that man gets held every game and it's rarely called, maybe one of the bigger officiating travesty's in the NFL.

You all HAVE to be kidding with this sh.it. It's one thing to hate Pittsburgh it's something completely different when you hate in irrational fashion. All you hear are the bitter bobbies of the world crying about that game. You never hear the other side of the argument because no one outside of Pittsburgh cares to argue the other side. If we're being honest how many other fan bases hate the Steelers? It's certainly more than those that hate the Browns. Sooooooo you shouldn't be surprised when you hear more about Seattle choking and losing that game, WHICH IS WHAT THEY DID. Time management on the Seahawks part was TERRIBLE, absolutely terrible and penalties or not they still would have lost that game. THe calls would have "impacted the game" as in the Seahawks may have scored once more but "would have had impact" doesn't say "would have won" and that's the bottom line. They still WOULD HAVE lost.

the last one was a clear forward pass. lets not forget the non-ejection of Roid Harrison. Plus they were stull using HGH then.

How does it feel to be a mouth breather? When it's humid out do you stay inside full time? And as far as Harrison is concerned I'm assuming you're referring to the "unnecessary roughness" on that one block? Check the game tape a few minutes before when the mental midget on the cardinals was throwing himself at Harrison's legs. In addition and the last I checked you continue playing until the final whistle. Harrison was just making sure leg diver was blocked lol.

You have to look at like this too Robo: Your a STEELER FAN, how objectively are you looking at it?

I completely agree BUT it is what it is and if anyone took the time to break down the tape you'd see the Seahawks still would have lost that game. The time management in particular at the end of that game was god awful. It's not like Pittsburgh won by 3 points and say the Seahawks did score before Hasselbeck through that INT after the hold. Pittsburgh still would have gotten the ball back and they still would have had the lead. It's all sour grapes at this point and Levy should be ashamed of himself for bringing it up this late in the life cycle. He could have came out immediately after the game but no he waits until he's in front of Seahawks fans several years later and "drops the bomb" to save some face. I guess he just figured he'd pile it on the already troublesome off season and that he'd fly under the radar. The people complaining about STeeler championships are all butt hurt. If it isn't HGH or anabolics, it's blown calls and something else. All of which more often than not trickles out from good ol Cleveland.

Next election Gallop should just poll Cleveland because it's CLEAR the opinion of the Cleveland Browns fan base is representative of the entire United States. Why waste your time with the other 49.

I hope that someday the true stooler fans will get a true, honest championship out of their team. They've been waiting almost a century. Only the Cubs have made their fans wait longer.

Do you take pride in being a individual of diminished mental capacity? It sure seems like it's something you've worked hard for and that alone is a astonishing feat. Working to appear mentally diminished.

The first honest, non-cheating Stooler championship is going to take awhile, though. They suck, and they need to rebuild their team to win in a non-cheating manner rather than a cheating one.

I wonder what execuse they're going to use when the Browns make them look like a high school team twice this year?

I wonder what execuse they're going to use when the Browns make them look like a high school team twice this year?

I'm wondering the inverse. It should be hilarious.

Mistakes will happen but Pittsburgh won the game nonetheless. If the ref came out and said "I took the money" then we'd have a controversy.

It seems fishy to an outsider <_<, but there is no conspiracy here.

I see it basically like the 1985 World Series where Ump Don Denkinger blew a call that allowed KC to win a game:

It was a mistake by the ref/ump;

The ref/ump owed up to the mistake;

Mistakes do happen when you have humam beings making judgment calls;

Too bad for the Seahawks but there is nothing to do about it now except to hand it down to historical lore;

If the Seahawks had played better then one or two ref's bad calls wouldn't have had such an impact on the game;

Nothing is going to change the result.

Carry On

(note the attempt at poetic styling)

Now those are sour grapes. Seattle fans have a beef, Arizona fans do not. All of those plays were borderline at best. If that is the best evidence that a Cardinal fan can come up with then they really don't have a leg to stand on.

I can see where, if those calls had gone in the Cardinals favor that the Steelers would not have had much to complain about.

However, if you took every play in a game, Super Bowl or not, and allowed the game to be refereed using slow motion replay, there would probably be a penalty called in like 100 plays of a game, or you could have probably 25% of penalties that are called reversed.

Next election Gallop should just poll Cleveland because it's CLEAR the opinion of the Cleveland Browns fan base is representative of the entire United States. Why waste your time with the other 49.

All in all, that is not a bad idea, except you would probably have as much difference of opinion in that polling sample as you do amongst the other 300 some million Americans.

Steelers Shrug Off Bill Leavy's Super Bowl Mea Culpa

LATROBE, Pa. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy may have come clean about mistakes he and his crew made during the Super Bowl four years ago, but it doesn't change the outcome and it certainly doesn't change the way the Pittsburgh Steelers feel about their victory over the Seahawks in that game.

"I'm not giving my ring back," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said Monday between practices at Steelers training camp. "You can' t change history. You can't go back in the record book just because a referee made some bad calls. I'm sorry that he said it, but there's nothing we can do. We can't turn back time."

Working practice at Seahawks camp last week, Leavy told the Seattle media that he regretted some calls that were made in that game and felt bad that they impacted the outcome.

"I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better," Leavy told reporters. "I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn't good enough."

Seahawks players took the comments in stride, and Steelers players who were on that championship-winning team were asked about Leavy's admission Monday.

"If he really feels that way and it's really bothering him, then I genuinely feel bad for him," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He's an official and I have nothing bad to say about him. I thought he called a great game."

Ward didn't necessarily agree with that. He just took the stance that there's nothing anybody can do about officiating calls, and there's no point in dwelling on them.

"He made some bad calls both ways," Ward said. "You just have to overcome. We never make excuses for referees making bad calls. We move on."

No surprise that the Steelers, who won their fifth Super Bowl that year and their sixth three years later, can take that stance. It must still be a little bit harder to swallow for the Seahawks, for whom that was the only Super Bowl appearance in team history. But here at Steelers camp, there wasn't a lot anybody could do about it but shrug and smile.

+ -------------------------------------------------------------- +

Highlighted 2 sentences so that Steeler fans can realize the impact of the error.

Now those are sour grapes. Seattle fans have a beef, Arizona fans do not. All of those plays were borderline at best. If that is the best evidence that a Cardinal fan can come up with then they really don't have a leg to stand on.

I have to go with the Cardinals fan on this one. Those are all penalties that were not called. However there are penalties on many plays during a game that aren't called. On the run back I think the problem was that as the play continued downfield the refs kept getting in a worse position to make the correct calls. For example I cannot see how they could have seen Warner being held. But yes I do believe that the pizza delivery guy should keep delivering pizzas and not attempt to become a future NFL referee.

Steelers Shrug Off Bill Leavy's Super Bowl Mea Culpa

LATROBE, Pa. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy may have come clean about mistakes he and his crew made during the Super Bowl four years ago, but it doesn't change the outcome and it certainly doesn't change the way the Pittsburgh Steelers feel about their victory over the Seahawks in that game.

"I'm not giving my ring back," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said Monday between practices at Steelers training camp. "You can' t change history. You can't go back in the record book just because a referee made some bad calls. I'm sorry that he said it, but there's nothing we can do. We can't turn back time."

Working practice at Seahawks camp last week, Leavy told the Seattle media that he regretted some calls that were made in that game and felt bad that they impacted the outcome.

"I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better," Leavy told reporters. "I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn't good enough."

Seahawks players took the comments in stride, and Steelers players who were on that championship-winning team were asked about Leavy's admission Monday.

"If he really feels that way and it's really bothering him, then I genuinely feel bad for him," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He's an official and I have nothing bad to say about him. I thought he called a great game."

Ward didn't necessarily agree with that. He just took the stance that there's nothing anybody can do about officiating calls, and there's no point in dwelling on them.

"He made some bad calls both ways," Ward said. "You just have to overcome. We never make excuses for referees making bad calls. We move on."

No surprise that the Steelers, who won their fifth Super Bowl that year and their sixth three years later, can take that stance. It must still be a little bit harder to swallow for the Seahawks, for whom that was the only Super Bowl appearance in team history. But here at Steelers camp, there wasn't a lot anybody could do about it but shrug and smile.

+ -------------------------------------------------------------- +

Highlighted 2 sentences so that Steeler fans can realize the impact of the error.

Impact of the error? The Seahawks would have lost by less points.

I have to go with the Cardinals fan on this one. Those are all penalties that were not called. However there are penalties on many plays during a game that aren't called. On the run back I think the problem was that as the play continued downfield the refs kept getting in a worse position to make the correct calls. For example I cannot see how they could have seen Warner being held. But yes I do believe that the pizza delivery guy should keep delivering pizzas and not attempt to become a future NFL referee.

And how many calls weren't made in the Steelers favor. It goes both ways and to think it doesn't is truly delusional. James Harrison was held on the regular all of last season and held plenty during that game. Penalties happen and plays that should be penalties happen. You can't expect the refs to catch everything and they are payed to be as objective as possible. Games are won and lost on the field BY THE TEAMS. I could go back and argue Tomlin's first season when 3 of our LB's were being held and David Garrard scrambled up the middle of the field in to field goal range. If the holds had been called Pittsburgh likely would have won the game. However there were plenty of plays before hand left on the field where Pittsburgh could have and should have capitalized. The Steelers just didn't play well enough and neither did the Seahawks in XL or the Cards.

It's all a bunch of cry baby BS.

It sucks to be a realist and try to argue with homers from either side. I'm done because no matter what, you are not going to change anyone's mind. Homers are always going to mangle what they see to fit their agenda.

I'm also a realist but everyone from their respective fan base is some sort of homer. A realist for example would know the Steelers aren't going to fall on their face this season. However you are correct everyone has their owned agenda some are just more skewed and clouded than others. It's pretty much a constant overcast on this message board.

No matter what anyone says, The Hawks were screwed by arguably the worst officiated Super Bowl in history. You CANT F!CKING DENY THAT JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!

So justify it either way you want, its not going to change anything. The Hawks COULD HAVE been super bowl champs... This guy lets it keep him up at night still TO THIS DAY.... If his calls were only minor mistakes Im sure that level of guilt and sorrow would be something he would be going through.

Next, who cares?

Steelers fans know how big of a screw job it was, that's why they're so defensive.

Theres nothing more that we can do, we all know the truth... There's just different perspectives and then there's the Pittspukers homers that will refuse to see any wrongdoing and the Browns Backers that will cry foul and blame Rooney and his league associations for it.

The truth is: This game was a close contest of very high calibur teams that ended with questions because of the negative calls that "directly impacted" the final outcome.

Now lets talk 2010 and how the Brownies are going to bring it to AFCN like never before since our return to the league....

WOOF WOOF!

The Seahawks likely still would have lost. Please attempt to prove otherwise. We all know the truth? What's the truth that the calls impacted the game but did not decide the game? That's the truth. The Seahawks lost by more than a touchdown, they lost by 11 points which is a TD with a two point conversion and a field goal. The Calls did not take 11 points from the Seattle Seahawks, period. Let's say the Seahawks score once and simply put up 7, the Steelers get the ball back and don't go in to clock kill mode.

I'm also a realist but everyone from their respective fan base is some sort of homer. A realist for example would know the Steelers aren't going to fall on their face this season. However you are correct everyone has their owned agenda some are just more skewed and clouded than others. It's pretty much a constant overcast on this message board.

Dont argue with them... they are xxxxING with you man... Laughing thier heads off , you grabbed the bait and Ran like Forrest Gump. The Trick is to respond a couple times and Let it go. Its like Chasing the wind Bro. and look at the Juvenile Mother Fers... Get their rocks of Going into my account and Changing my name ??? Losers and Jackasses. Hmmm.. figures.

Dont argue with them... they are xxxxING with you man... Laughing thier heads off , you grabbed the bait and Ran like Forrest Gump. The Trick is to respond a couple times and Let it go. Its like Chasing the wind Bro. and look at the Juvenile Mother Fers... Get their rocks of Going into my account and Changing my name ??? Losers and Jackasses. Hmmm.. figures.

It is pretty creative man, BUNSofSTEEL, thats funny stuff. Just enjoy it and it will go away next year.

Archived