THE BROWNS BOARD

Ref Admits Steelers Got Gift Super Bowl

Riffer X

NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The veteran official began an annual rules interpretation session with the Seattle media on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.

Leavy says he "kicked two calls in the fourth quarter" and "impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that."

The veteran official of 15 NFL seasons says the game "left me with a lot of sleepless nights" and that "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

This week is the first time since that game that Leavy has been in Seattle with the Seahawks.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seah...syndication=rss

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making mistakes =/= intentionally handing the game to the Steelers.

Good God, folks, let's move on at some point. Not only does bringing up a Super Bowl that happened half a decade ago make it look like Browns fans have clearly given up thinking that our team is relevant, but the whole "the refs were on the take" nonsense just makes us look idiotic and paranoid. It's like any other conspiracy theory--if there was something to be discovered, it would have surfaced by now. The refs blew calls in the game, and that's bad enough; no need to gild the lily by making it into a nefarious plot that nobody else (outside of the sports talk radio crowds in Seattle and Cleveland) is dumb enough to buy into.

Dennis

When they first posted the article on ESPN.com, about 90% of the people that commented said, it was the worst Super Bowl they'd ever seen, Pittsburgh never deserved to win, or it was fixed. The only people sticking up for the ref, were? you guessed it Steelers fans. It's not just us...

I've just never seen anything like that game, and hopefully never will again. It's no coincidence that every time Seattle got within the redzone they got flagged. When they scored? they got flagged. That game was an embarrassment to the NFL.

Again, though, "bad calls" doesn't mean "fixed game." Neither does 90% of people commenting on a message board thinking that the game was fixed.

Give me some evidence other than "It really makes you wonder...," and I'll be happy to re-consider my opinion. Fixing the most widely watched, heavily-betted sporting event in the United States can't be that easy.

How big a conspiracy are we talking here? Dan Rooney and the refs? The league office? The head of NFL officiating? All of the other teams in the league? The television networks? The gaming industry? I mean, Rooney and the individual refs would be the simplest* conspiracy, but none of the other interested parties could figure out something was going on? That's clearly not the case, since some guy in a bar watching the game said, "Hey, this thing's fixed!" So now all of those interested parties not only know about it, but have decided amongst themselves to cover it up. I ask you--and please think about the fact that no conspiracies stay secret when more than two people are involved--what is the likelihood that of all of the people who would know about this--the Rooneys, the referees, the people in the refs' lives who would notice a sudden influx of cash, people's bankers, friends of friends, etc.--how is it that five years on the only evidence is a badly-refereed game and a bunch of "Well, you KNOW Rooney paid off the refs!!!!" posts online?

*Although still crazy

Dennis

Again, though, "bad calls" doesn't mean "fixed game." Neither does 90% of people commenting on a message board thinking that the game was fixed.

Give me some evidence other than "It really makes you wonder...," and I'll be happy to re-consider my opinion. Fixing the most widely watched, heavily-betted sporting event in the United States can't be that easy.

How big a conspiracy are we talking here? Dan Rooney and the refs? The league office? The head of NFL officiating? All of the other teams in the league? The television networks? The gaming industry? I mean, Rooney and the individual refs would be the simplest* conspiracy, but none of the other interested parties could figure out something was going on? That's clearly not the case, since some guy in a bar watching the game said, "Hey, this thing's fixed!" So now all of those interested parties not only know about it, but have decided amongst themselves to cover it up. I ask you--and please think about the fact that no conspiracies stay secret when more than two people are involved--what is the likelihood that of all of the people who would know about this--the Rooneys, the referees, the people in the refs' lives who would notice a sudden influx of cash, people's bankers, friends of friends, etc.--how is it that five years on the only evidence is a badly-refereed game and a bunch of "Well, you KNOW Rooney paid off the refs!!!!" posts online?

*Although still crazy

Dennis

You wouldn't know any better than anyone else, considering you're not an NFL insider either, only the referee(s) truly knows what happened, and what his/their intentions were.

The Rooney's are carefully packaging the Lombardi and express delivering it to the shefags as we speak along with a letter of retraction.

In other news, the stains will be awarded this years SB title based on legislation enacted by liberal congressmen in a redistribution of wealth campaign.

Regards....

... an'at

That was a bizarre postseason. First the refs screw the steelers in the colts game with Polamalu's interception that was overrruled, and then the refs embarrass themselves and the seahawks by their officiating in the superbowl. I think maybe Rooney didn't like the way they tried to hand the AFCC to the Colts and upped the ante for the superbowl with a bigger bribe.

Again, though, "bad calls" doesn't mean "fixed game."...

Give me some evidence other than "It really makes you wonder...," and I'll be happy to re-consider my opinion....

That game was fixed. I taped it and watched the whole thing a number of times in the weeks and months of the aftermath later. Some plays & sequences over and over and in slow motion to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. "Two bad calls" in the 4th quarter doesn't even begin to describe the officiating bias in that game. In addition to the big, glaring bad calls, there were a multitude of little things like bad ball spots for the Seahawks and uncalled penalties on the Steelers, etc. all game long that most people don't notice or talk about now. Cumulatively, it can be seen that the Seahawks simply were not to be allowed to win that game. The Steelers were to be given such a huge compettive advantage in the officiating department, that it would be next to impossible for the Seahawks (or any other NFL team for that matter) to overcome. I lost an enormous amount of respect for the NFL that day. Not just as a Seahawks fan, but as a football fan in general.

Good God, folks, let's move on at some point. Not only does bringing up a Super Bowl that happened half a decade ago make it look like Browns fans have clearly given up thinking that our team is relevant, but the whole "the refs were on the take" nonsense just makes us look idiotic and paranoid. It's like any other conspiracy theory--if there was something to be discovered, it would have surfaced by now. The refs blew calls in the game, and that's bad enough; no need to gild the lily by making it into a nefarious plot that nobody else (outside of the sports talk radio crowds in Seattle and Cleveland) is dumb enough to buy into.

Dennis

intelligent and well written. money is a VERY easy thing to track (especially the amount of money needed to bribe a ref) and the NFL employs former secret service and FBI members to it's internal security. not to mention corporate accountants and auditors. that $$$ would have shown up quick as a jack rabbit taking a shit.

not to mention that come on guys, the rooney's aren't even in the top 50% of the league's owners in terms of overall wealth.

if you were gonna look for a team that had the loot to buy a title it would be someone like the cowboys.

Dennis

Hmmm.....you don't find this to be an issue? Regardless of when it happened it has now been substantiated what everybody thought for years leading up to this. Regardless of how or why it went down, a ref just owned up to the fact he botched the game. Remember when the league went out of it's way to justify the piss poor calls afterward?

This is very relevant and it doesn't matter who the teams were or when it originally went down. The facts are a team got hosed in the biggest game in team sports and the ref just owned up to it 4 years later.

Mistakes will happen but Pittsburgh won the game nonetheless. If the ref came out and said "I took the money" then we'd have a controversy.

It seems fishy to an outsider <_<, but there is no conspiracy here.

yeah, a steelers fan would say that :P we will see how you guys do this year.

I will always believe in the football gods. You can see it happening in Denver right now. When a team or player does things the wrong way, they get bitten. Pittsburgh has been skating along for a while now and with Big Ben and his hungry hands, the karma is about to get flipped around. That entire playoff run for them that year was handed to them by the stripes.

God, I hate Pittsburgh!

RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The veteran official began an annual rules interpretation session with the Seattle media on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.

Leavy says he "kicked two calls in the fourth quarter" and "impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that."

The veteran official of 15 NFL seasons says the game "left me with a lot of sleepless nights" and that "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

This week is the first time since that game that Leavy has been in Seattle with the Seahawks.

There were terrible calls that went both ways that game. TERRIBLE calls and plenty of TERRIBLE calls leading up to the Super Bowl. Get over it, bad calls happen and the better team always wins. Period. I sure as sh.it don't lose sleep at night over Super Bowl XL and the "lowly Steelers" returned two Super Bowls later for another one. If the game were reversed and the Steelers lost everyone would be talking about the calls that impacted the game the other way around. The end. Old news and funny this is being brought up in the midst of Browns training camp. Don't you have anything better to talk about? I just hope everyone is ready to get murdered week 6. It should put quite a bit to rest and I can't wait.

yeah, a steelers fan would say that :P we will see how you guys do this year.

lol should I say the same? What do you want to bet the Steelers have a winning season and make a deep run in the playoffs? Big Ben is going to get 4 games and I can't say I'd be shocked if he gets less. Returning every defensive starter and adding a few matured 2nd year guys. Apparently Ziggy Hood is a man possessed and our rookie Emmanuel Sanders is absolutely lighting up training camp so much so that he may end up in the slot. Lawrence Timmons is also going to put his mark on the league and in my opinion may be the best blitzing middle LB in the league. He's essentially Troy Polamalu at the second level.

Things are going to get ugly for Steeler opponents this year and I find the doom and gloom here hilarious. Are we taking bets?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... Human officiasl ?? EVERY Game dude Every game you will find mistakes. . AND it goes both ways...

I will always believe in the football gods. You can see it happening in Denver right now. When a team or player does things the wrong way, they get bitten. Pittsburgh has been skating along for a while now and with Big Ben and his hungry hands, the karma is about to get flipped around. That entire playoff run for them that year was handed to them by the stripes.

God, I hate Pittsburgh!

Bitter little woman.

God, I hate Pittsburgh!

Quite the opposite but it's not worth discussing. The most notable and one that was already brought up in this thread. The polamalu interception against the Colts which was over turned and a fair number of other heinously blown calls. The "crying game" in Cleveland is all a part of coping with mediocrity. I get it but it's also getting old and carries very little weight. Yet most still parade it around like it's gospel. You say it so much you actually start believing it and last I checked repeating the same behavior without yielding different results is the definition of insanity. Should we diagnose the Cleveland fan base medically insane?

There were terrible calls that went both ways that game. TERRIBLE calls and plenty of TERRIBLE calls leading up to the Super Bowl. Get over it, bad calls happen and the better team always wins. Period. I sure as sh.it don't lose sleep at night over Super Bowl XL and the "lowly Steelers" returned two Super Bowls later for another one. If the game were reversed and the Steelers lost everyone would be talking about the calls that impacted the game the other way around. The end. Old news and funny this is being brought up in the midst of Browns training camp. Don't you have anything better to talk about? I just hope everyone is ready to get murdered week 6. It should put quite a bit to rest and I can't wait.
'

So in the Post-season that was "FIXED" to get The Steeler the Title... an Official Decided that Troy fumbled on that Turnover play ??? Ya , That makes sense. You`re a bunch of 11 yr old Girls LOLOLOL...

QUOTE (Brownsfan_Althaus @ Aug 7 2010, 01:13 PM)

yeah, a steelers fan would say that we will see how you guys do this year.

Probably better than the Browns have done over the last 12 yrds or so....

We were 10-6 in 07 and pissburgh went 9-7 last season so there goes that theory.

We were 10-6 in 07 and pissburgh went 9-7 last season so there goes that theory.

Lol what? Rationalize this post for me or are you really this Retarded? Pittsburgh also finished 10-6 but were first in the division that year and lost to the Jags in the Wild card. Where exactly does the Browns record in 07 have any bearing on A. His comment. B. The Steelers record this past season?

Are you sure you aren't autistic?

LOL HoMotron.... Plus those TWO Seasons represent some kind of "Trend" ?? Speeeedyd I would stay out of the Business world if I were You. Keep on Flipping Burgers dude.

That game was fixed. I taped it and watched the whole thing a number of times in the weeks and months of the aftermath later. Some plays & sequences over and over and in slow motion to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. "Two bad calls" in the 4th quarter doesn't even begin to describe the officiating bias in that game. In addition to the big, glaring bad calls, there were a multitude of little things like bad ball spots for the Seahawks and uncalled penalties on the Steelers, etc. all game long that most people don't notice or talk about now. Cumulatively, it can be seen that the Seahawks simply were not to be allowed to win that game. The Steelers were to be given such a huge compettive advantage in the officiating department, that it would be next to impossible for the Seahawks (or any other NFL team for that matter) to overcome. I lost an enormous amount of respect for the NFL that day. Not just as a Seahawks fan, but as a football fan in general.

I also have that game on DVD....Remember Stevens fumbled that was ruled imcomplete?

If you are giving the ref credibility that he admitted he made two wrong calls in just the 4th, then you are giving him credibility that since he didn't regret calls in the first 3 quarters they were all the correct calls....You can't have it both ways.

I also have that game on DVD....Remember Stevens fumbled that was ruled imcomplete?

If you are giving the ref credibility that he admitted he made two wrong calls in just the 4th, then you are giving him credibility that since he didn't regret calls in the first 3 quarters they were all the correct calls....You can't have it both ways.

Sure he can ...he is Bitter. Cant see a Freaking thing past the GREEN Light that continually Flashes in his dome while watching Pittsburgh Steelers Football. Bitter Fruit ...sour Grape... Green-eyed Monster , you name it. They ALL Deny it but its like the Nose on a Lying Pinocchio`s face. You cant miss it. look ... You can see it , right ? But they cant ... Sad but true.

Archived