THE BROWNS BOARD

Happy Birthday to me.

Chris.

Indians catcher Carlos Santana was hurt in a home plate collision with Red Sox rookie Ryan Kalish in the bottom of the 7th of tonight’s game in Boston. Santana was carted off the field with his entire left leg wrapped in a large orange air cast. It was a gruesome injury and appeared as if his knee and ankle were bent back and rolled over by Kalish, who was called out on an amazing throw from Shin-Soo Choo. Remarkably, Santana held on to the ball during the collision. Will Carroll, injury expert and Baseball Prospectus writer, initially surmised that the leg was broken and spotted swelling and deformation instantly, as training staffs for both clubs cut open his pants and worked on the knee right at home plate. Matt Underwood informed us that Santana was still in the trainer’s room and in good spirits, joking around with Fausto Carmona and Andy Marte. It’s a near certainty that Santana’s season is over and hopefully that is the extent of the long-term damage.

As part of my birthday festivities I scheduled a trip to see my brother in Boston and catch a couple Tribe games at Fenway. I'm leaving tomorrow, so at least I didn't have to witness that. I'm pretty sure I would've found my way to the top of the Green Monster and ended it right there. But I will be there for the next two games and hopefully will grab some pictures.

And as the Tribe board's eternal optimist, I have to say I'm looking for any piece of trivia, stat, story, anything that would cheer me up enough to get some kind of enjoyment out of these next two games. Feel free to send anything my way.

It's just baseball....it's just baseball....it's just baseball....

Not a bad couple of games at Fenway. Saw the "brawl," and the 9-1 drubbing. Marson, Nix, and Marte leading the way against the Sox in Fenway. Pretty funny to watch, I must say.

Some pix...

4871630721_4a4cba9c27_b.jpg

4871631803_b4b71eba2a_b.jpg

An old friend

4872241246_1c4d785c83_b.jpg

Seats in dead center, Beckett vs Choo.

4871635557_3d91a26f4f_b.jpg

View of the scuffle. I like the picture because it shows Jensen Lewis, the one guy who was fined AND suspended, on the pitcher's mound just watching.

4872246228_47377c8591_b.jpg

Game 2 with view of the Monster

4872248338_835ae7da4b_b.jpg

MAsteRSON warming up before the game.

4871641285_2dd2e84201_b.jpg

Sandy and Victor. Ah, memories...

4872251252_36ba4cdf17_b.jpg

First pitch, Lester v. Donald

4872252864_4c202eb546_b.jpg

Masterson v Ellsbury

4871647505_79003759bc_b.jpg

Victor trade, before and after.

Not bad overall. I wasn't sure I could handle life without Carlos, but it was a good time.

Archived