THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp

ATENEARS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was there and saw that rookie Reindeer from Waterloo, my god is that kid huge. I saw him nex to the other line men and he dwarfs most of them.

yeah- the kid got a write up in the Plain Dealer. "The Big Reindeer" In the picture, he makes the 6'3" Trusnic look like a dwarf.

But it's not all about size in the NFL- for an offensive lineman, technique does matter. It will be real interesting what the Browns do with the kid and how fast he can develop- he was playing on the equivalent of a Division III football program- for one year, a far cry from the NFL. In a perfect world, the Browns will be able to stash him on the practice squad, but if he shows fast track in the preseason, the Browns may have to hold a roster spot for him.

It's a tough balancing act between looking a bit at the future with a guy like Reindeer and looking at the here and now.

Keeping him might cost a spot for a James Davis because runningback seems to be a area with a log jam. In the end it is harder to find top OL prospects over RB, DB,and say linebacker.

Maybe we roll the dice and keep only 2 TE's...

I really wish the NFL would alter the practice squad rules and allow 1-2 practice squad players to be "franchised" so to speak. They would be ineligible to be plucked by other teams and would be paid say 75% of NFL rookie minimum. These players could only be held in this state for 1 year. Then it is keep them or cut them loose.

I think the NFL needs to have a bit more involvement in developing it's own talent, and part of that is being able to hold on to some of that talent.

It's a tough balancing act between looking a bit at the future with a guy like Reindeer and looking at the here and now.

Keeping him might cost a spot for a James Davis because runningback seems to be a area with a log jam. In the end it is harder to find top OL prospects over RB, DB,and say linebacker.

Maybe we roll the dice and keep only 2 TE's...

Man, I love all of this jockeying for position.

I really wish the NFL would alter the practice squad rules and allow 1-2 practice squad players to be "franchised" so to speak. They would be ineligible to be plucked by other teams and would be paid say 75% of NFL rookie minimum. These players could only be held in this state for 1 year. Then it is keep them or cut them loose.

I think the NFL needs to have a bit more involvement in developing it's own talent, and part of that is being able to hold on to some of that talent.

All sports need to do a better job at keeping developing players. However, you have to love the roster limits in football and they jockeying as you described above.

It sucks halfway through the season, but is a big part of the 'game' at this hour.

Man, I love all of this jockeying for position.

All sports need to do a better job at keeping developing players. However, you have to love the roster limits in football and they jockeying as you described above.

It sucks halfway through the season, but is a big part of the 'game' at this hour.

It does make for some tough decisions.

Archived