THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp

ATENEARS

#40 Peyton Hillis takes a handoff and burst through the line during 7-on-7 drills at Sunday's Browns Training Camp practice.

Not sure if this is good or bad. Great offensively, but sucks balls Defensively as one of our smaller DB's would have had to stop this load head-on.

Someone made a good block inside. Have you had chance to watch Mack at all? I'm expecting a big year from him too, he was really coming on as the season progressed last year.

Zombo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was she there to talk to Mangini about when McCoy may get his chance?

She was there to do training camp daily. and by that i mean, sit there and smile while jim donovan talks.

Someone made a good block inside. Have you had chance to watch Mack at all? I'm expecting a big year from him too, he was really coming on as the season progressed last year.

Zombo

I personally didn't key on Mack. I have the following video though that I noticed he got deep into the second tier with his blocking though:

Opps, my bad. Maybe in the above video that is Steinbach pushing his guy deep. It looks like Mack though had stood up Rubin and neutralized him anyway.

In any regard, the Oline is looking tough. Steinbach looks great the more I see of him and Thomas the better it gets. Mack can't be too far behind those road graders.

Somebody just got man handled on that block.

That's #70 Brian Sanford, DL 6'-2" 280-lbs Rookie from Temple.

Almost Directly above me was a camera on a man lift, that block is gonna look sick from an overhead shot.

With that said, I'll do some reporting how fit players look,

I think you've found your niche.

What excited you more, Joe Thomas' calves or Carlton Mitchell's lean physique?

Zombo

Neither, Colt McCoys hair is what keeps me coming back.

You are admiring his hair and saying he'll be starting soon .... I feel like I'm in a time machine to 2009 and your name is Shep.

Zombo

Joe Haden is tiny, but looks fast. As I stated, I didn't see a lot of him, but the kid looks like a burner.

Something to keep in mind: Haden isn't the tallest corner (5'10 3/4"), but he's got very long arms (32 3/4"). That's a big help when matching up with bigger receivers, which he was exceptionally good at doing in college.

You are admiring his hair and saying he'll be starting soon .... I feel like I'm in a time machine to 2009 and your name is Shep.

Zombo

Well, Colt McCoy did score a 25 on his Wonderlic Test, compared to only 12 for Seneca Wallace ....

Well, Colt McCoy did score a 25 on his Wonderlic Test, compared to only 12 for Seneca Wallace ....

Well, Seneca Walace has played in the league for seven years, and was just signed by the guy that drafted him and coached him all those years ago, so he can't be too stupid regardless of how he did on a personnel test in 2003.

Glad McCoy got a 25, that'll come in handy. Brady Q got a 28 then shit his pants when he saw an NFL pass rush.

Zombo

Something to keep in mind: Haden isn't the tallest corner (5'10 3/4"), but he's got very long arms (32 3/4"). That's a big help when matching up with bigger receivers, which he was exceptionally good at doing in college.

Alo, does Joe Haden use his hands a lot and do a lot of grabbing? He seemed to have that characteristic in everything he did at camp, whether it was in coverage or punt blocking. Much bordered on holding.

I'm excited to be able to attend today's afternoon session, I drove 1,367 miles to get here :D

Awesome ... hope you enjoy. When you enter through the Beech Street gate, stay to the left and go as far down as you can. There is no telling which field they will practice on, but that always seems to be my best viewing area.

I'm excited to be able to attend today's afternoon session, I drove 1,367 miles to get here :D

One of the media guys tweeted this, it might help to get a good spot

"Training Camp tip 4 fans: look 4 the camera towers around 1 of the 4 fields. That's the field team 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 drills 2 be on"

Alo, does Joe Haden use his hands a lot and do a lot of grabbing? He seemed to have that characteristic in everything he did at camp, whether it was in coverage or punt blocking. Much bordered on holding.

He's definitely an aggressive, physical dude. He pushes guys around and uses the sideline as another defender. Plus, he could get away with more contact playing on the college level.

One of the few negatives I noticed in the '09 tape was that Haden was less effective when covering the slot. He appeared to be more tentative and didn't resort to his normal physical style. Sheldon Brown's know to be a very good at covering the slot, so I wouldn't be surprised if Haden lines up outside against three-wide sets.

Maybe Haden will need to tone down the contact and grabbing, but I like that he matches up well against bigger, physical guys. He absolutely shut down Bama WR Julio Jones (6'4", 210) in the SEC Championship Game.

Eric Wright's a very good corner, but he's repeatedly struggled to match up with the Hines Wards of the world. Hopefully, Haden will have more success.

Thanks for the tips :D

Personally I'm no expert but some of the highlights in my books were when:

-Abe Elam leveled Eric wright when he was taunting him in a drill.

-Colt McCoy seemed to complete every pass in the drills.

-Joe Haden got beat by josh cribbs on a comeback route but otherwise looked like the most athletic corner.

-James Davis had great speed and his cuts are very on point.

-Marcus Bernard was a force, making a few plays in the backfield.

I would post more but my brain is fogged a bit, I'll be back in a few days.

Oh, does anyone know any more info on a scrimmage this Saturday?

-Joe Haden got beat by josh cribbs on a comeback route but otherwise looked like the most athletic corner.

Yeah, it's 1PM at the stadium- free admission.

James Davis does look good. For those of you old enough, he reminds me of Greg Pruitt.

I like Bernard a lot. He never gets driven back, everything is forward momentum.

He's definitely an aggressive, physical dude. He pushes guys around and uses the sideline as another defender. Plus, he could get away with more contact playing on the college level.

One of the few negatives I noticed in the '09 tape was that Haden was less effective when covering the slot. He appeared to be more tentative and didn't resort to his normal physical style. Sheldon Brown's know to be a very good at covering the slot, so I wouldn't be surprised if Haden lines up outside against three-wide sets.

Maybe Haden will need to tone down the contact and grabbing, but I like that he matches up well against bigger, physical guys. He absolutely shut down Bama WR Julio Jones (6'4", 210) in the SEC Championship Game.

Eric Wright's a very good corner, but he's repeatedly struggled to match up with the Hines Wards of the world. Hopefully, Haden will have more success.

Thanks Alo, good stuff and something to focus on through this month and into the early part of the season.

I think I have some more video of him around here, but its more of the same touchy feelly stuff. I hope these Refs in camp will curb the use of the hands if it is in violation, prior to it being a problem on Sundays.

Zombo

Got to admit, that was funny!!! can't wait to see you two at it come November.

Haden's freakishly admirable talents were highlighted in a thread just after Draft day - he did some TV programme showing what his effective cover radius and interception tipping range was and it was incredible. He could be 4 inches taller and not be any better if he didn;t have the reach and instinct that he seems to play with.

Archived