THE BROWNS BOARD

Peralta traded to Tigers

Peralta dealt to the Tigers for Class A lefty

By Anthony Castrovince/MLB.com

The Indians have dealt veteran third baseman Jhonny Peralta and cash to the Tigers for Class A left-hander Giovanni Soto.

Peralta joins an injury depleted Tigers team looking to get back into the thick of the AL Central race. The Tigers lost Brandon Inge to a broken bone in his hand.

Peralta is making $4.6 million this season. No word yet on how much of his remaining contract the Indians are picking up.

Peralta batted .246 with 23 doubles, seven homers and 43 RBIs for the Tribe this year. He is a career .264 hitter over eight seasons with the Tribe. He made the move from shortstop to third base last year.

Soto, 19, has spent this season with Class A West Michigan, going 6-6 with a 2.61 ERA in 16 starts. He has struck out 76 and walked 25 in 82 2/3 innings and hasn't allowed more than three earned runs in any of his 16 starts.

Soto is headed to Class A Lake County.

Luis Valbuena has been called up from Triple-A Columbus to take Peralta's active roster spot.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20..._tigers_fo.html

According to the always spot on Hoynes, it'll be Marte. Who was also traded to the Tigers: With Marte traded, #Indians call up Luis Valbuena from Class AAA Columbus. Andy Marte starts at third tonight. http://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/19775638133

Beanpot

I wish that wasnt a misprint, why dont they bring Hodges up

According to the always spot on Hoynes, it'll be Marte. Who was also traded to the Tigers: With Marte traded, #Indians call up Luis Valbuena from Class AAA Columbus. Andy Marte starts at third tonight. http://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/19775638133

Beanpot

Let's hope that's a (very) short term thing. Let's see one of the kids get a shot.

Also, he doesn't have the draft pedigree so who knows if his stats are legit, but it's pretty crazy that Soto might be a better pitcher than any of the guys Arizona gets for Dan Haren.

19 years old with a 2.10 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 7.9 K/9 through 22 starts between Rookie and low A-ball for his career. He's a long way off obviously, but wow.

Some Soto things from Baseball Prospectus (via LGT commenters)

Giovany Soto, LHP, Tigers (Low-A West Michigan): 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K. Fantastic command and good secondary pitches; if velocity projects like some scouts think it will, he could turn into something.

Giovanni Soto, LHP, Tigers (Low-A West Michigan): 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Doesn’t get out of the upper-80s (yet), but young, projectable and has quality secondary pitches and command.

“He’s 85-88 mph and throwing four pitches with a curve, slider, and change—none of them are really good right now, but you can’t eliminate any of them, either. I hate projecting velocity, but this is the kind of guy you look for when doing it.”

At 6'3, 155....he should definitely have a few more MPH in him down the road.

Yeah, this trade is ridiculously more interesting than I would've imagined.

look out Sizemore, Hafner, and Choo...just a matter of time til you guys are gone too

why? why does Shapiro do such stupid crap? Just when our team is starting to look like a winner, he gets rid of Jhonny. Okay so he's not been doing too great this season, but who will take his place? Valbuena and Marte? yeah it's always good to have those .100 hitters in our lineup. How can this trade get better? we got a A pitcher. Not AA, not AAA but SINGLE A! AMAZING!!!!! how can this trade get better? Soto has a 6-6 record! amazing for single A, you know when a guy is 6-6 in A ball, he will dominate in the majors.

thanks Shapiro, hope you like losing and getting spanked by the Yankees tonight. Glad Marte will go 0-4 and keep that .100 average going strong. We are Cleveland fans, we don't have time for waiting and rebuilding every other year. Give us a winner now!

Peralta has a .264 career batting average and is batting .246 this year, not hard to replace. Jared Godert's in Columbus batting .304 with 17 homeruns in 45 games with a .669 SLG and 1.049 OPS.

I would have gave Peralta away for nothing to get a look at somebody else, instead we get a prospect with some upside. You should no better than to look at records, 6-6 means nothing. He has a 2.10 ERA, thats dominating.

How can you possibly be that upset over Peralta being traded, he's horrible.

Peralta has a .264 career batting average and is batting .246 this year, not hard to replace. Jared Godert's in Columbus batting .304 with 17 homeruns in 45 games with a .669 SLG and 1.049 OPS.

I would have gave Peralta away for nothing to get a look at somebody else, instead we get a prospect with some upside. You should no better than to look at records, 6-6 means nothing. He has a 2.10 ERA, thats dominating.

I guess I'm more made about seeing Marte in the lineup again haha as I wrote that he had runners on 2nd and 3rd and nothing again. I just don't understand what these guys see in him, has not impressed me at all since '06

I guess I'm more made about seeing Marte in the lineup again haha as I wrote that he had runners on 2nd and 3rd and nothing again. I just don't understand what these guys see in him, has not impressed me at all since '06

I don't want to see anymore of him either, like Chris said hopefully its temporary

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

07/28/10 10:05 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- Jhonny Peralta was once the heir to Indians legend Omar Vizquel's throne at shortstop.

Fast-forward five years, and Peralta was deemed expendable trade bait by a rebuilding Tribe team that no longer had use for his offensive inconsistency or bloated contract.

The Indians dealt Peralta to the division-rival Tigers shortly before Wednesday's game against the Yankees, and they also sent cash to complete the deal, offsetting the remainder of Peralta's $4.6 million salary. In return, the Tribe received a 19-year-old Class A left-hander named Giovanni Soto and the opportunity to give playing time to younger options.

Luis Valbuena was promoted from Triple-A Columbus to take Peralta's roster spot, and Andy Marte took Peralta's spot in the starting lineup against the Yanks. Jayson Nix is also on hand and will likely receive significant at-bats at third. And at some point, the Indians are also expected to take a look at Jared Goedert, who has been torching Triple-A pitching for the past two months.

"We wanted to take a look at some of our internal alternatives [at third base] for next year, because we think they can help us this year, too," general manager Mark Shapiro said. "We had come to the decision we weren't going to pick up [Peralta's] option for next year. We had multiple guys that we viewed as potential alternatives that we wanted to take a look at."

Peralta joins an injury-depleted Tigers team looking to get back into the thick of the American League Central race. The Tigers lost third baseman Brandon Inge to a broken bone in his left hand that will sideline him for at least another two weeks. Upon Inge's return, Peralta could see some time at shortstop for Detroit.

Shortstop ceased to be Peralta's domain here in 2009, when Asdrubal Cabrera took over. Long criticized for his lack of range at short, Peralta moved to the hot corner. But his bat, which once had the Indians believing him to be a core player, continued to sag.

"He's a guy who signed here as a teenager and came through our system, replaced a legend -- a potential Hall of Famer at shortstop -- and did it extremely well," Shapiro said. "Having grown up [in Baltimore] watching a succession of guys struggle to replace Brooks Robinson, I know how difficult that is. [Peralta] contributed to playoff run [in 2007] and was an outstanding professional and class individual. [Trading him] is an emotional moment."

But Shapiro had no emotion in admitting that by turning to their alternatives, the Indians can likely achieve production similar to what they were getting from Peralta.

Peralta, 28, batted .246 with 23 doubles, seven homers and 43 RBIs for the Tribe this year. Over eight seasons with the Indians, he hit .264 with 103 homers and 456 RBIs in 923 games. Cleveland signed him to a long-term extension after his first full season in 2005, when he hit .292 with 24 homers and 78 RBIs. But Peralta hit .254 with a .690 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) in '09 and never got on track this season.

Because the Indians had no plans to exercise Peralta's $7 million option for 2011 (an option that is now worth $7.25 million as a result of the trade), it made sense to seek out offers for him. The Tigers had a need, and the Indians pounced.

They pounced because Nix looked solid in a two-week stint as the regular at second base, and they believe Nix, who became a utility player when Cabrera returned from injury and Jason Donald moved to second, can make a successful transition to third.

They pounced because Valbuena has produced since his demotion to Columbus last month, batting .313 with six homers and 20 RBIs in 25 games.

They pounced because they want to see what Marte -- a former highly touted prospect gone astray -- can do with more at-bats.

And they pounced because Goedert is batting .304 with a 1.049 OPS through 45 games at Columbus and, at some point, will be worthy of a look at this level. Behind him, former No. 1 Draft pick Lonnie Chisenhall looms at Double-A Akron.

They also pounced because of Soto, who has spent this season with Class A West Michigan, going 6-6 with a 2.61 ERA in 16 starts. He has struck out 76 and walked 25 in 82 2/3 innings and hasn't allowed more than three earned runs in any of his 16 starts.

Soto, listed at 6-foot-4, is headed to Class A Lake County. He owns a career Minor League record of 10-6 with a 2.10 ERA and one save in 29 appearances, including 22 starts. The Carolina, Puerto Rico, native was a 21st-round pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft.

"He's a lanky, projectable left-handed starter," Shapiro said. "There's definitely some projection involved. It's a tall, wiry frame. The velocity is not 'plus' right now, but he's got a good cutter and good feel for a curveball and changeup, as well."

Moving Peralta clearly wasn't about moving money, because the Indians will pay the remainder of his 2010 salary, with the exception of the prorated portion of the Major League minimum.

This was a move that, in the short term, was about seeing what other legit options exist at third base. More details about the plan at third are expected after manager Manny Acta has some discussions with Nix, Marte and Valbuena.

"We have a strategy for which guy is going to play the most," Shapiro said. "We'll be more explicit about strategy the next couple days."

look out Sizemore, Hafner, and Choo...just a matter of time til you guys are gone too

Ah, if only.

Jhonny's fall from grace was pretty legendary, really. He was a beast in 2005 and came up big in the playoffs in '07. Even '08 wasn't half bad. Wonder what his problem has been.

I blame Wedge.

and hes 19. the tigers prob reached for jhonny since they are in dire need of 3b. Dont worry about the indians front office, they are acually the franchise in cleveland that knows what they are doing. Simply don't have the resources to keep a winning team on the field every year. But with there farm leagues, scouting, player development, and the way they do business in the mlb, they ensure us that we are in contention every 4-6 years. Which in cleveland where most seasons are over before they start, personally i'll take that

And for the Indians, that's one run on, let's see...one hit? That's all we had, one goddamn hit? [Monty: You can't say "goddamn" on the air!] Don't worry; nobody's listening anyway.

It's okay we have a new 6-6 single-A pitcher...at least the Lake Erie Captains will be mediocre...

Anyone see how Jhonny did in his first game with the Tigers? 2 homers already, how's the pitcher doing we got? oh still in single-A? good move Shapiro, good move!

what will you say when JP goes in one of his usual 3 for 40 slump with 20 or so Ks.

Low Class-A Lake County (15-19 in second half) – Visiting Lake County topped South Bend 5-2…Newly acquired LHP Giovanni Soto (7-6, 2.57 ERA) limited the Silver Hawks to one run on one hit while striking out seven to earn his first win in the Indians organization since being traded for Jhonny Peralta Thursday

Record might start to show performance of this NINETEEN yr old now that he's in a good farm league.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived