THE BROWNS BOARD

Defensive Rookie of the Year

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

It should be very interesting to see who wins DROTY this year. Unlike the past two season, there isn't a 150+ tackle linebacker guaranteed to win the award. And even at positions where there seems to be some good talent, like cornerback, no one really stands out from the pack.

Here are some possible candidates for the award (FYI - I don't really think Alex Hall has a chance to win it):

Linebackers:

• Jerod Mayo (Round 1) - 83 TT, 4 STF, 0 SK, 0 FF

• Curtis Lofton (Round 2) - 80 TT, 2 TF, 1 SK, 1 FF
Pass-rushers:

• Chris Long (Round 1) - 35 TT, 4.0 SK, 1 FF

• Cliff Avril (Round 3) - 17 TT, 4.0 SK, 3 FF

• Alex Hall (Round 7) - 25 TT, 3.0 SK, 2 FF
DT's:

• Glenn Dorsey (Round 1): 36 TT, 1.0 SK, 1 FF

• Sedrick Ellis (Round 1): 23 TT, 2.0 SK, 0 FF

• Jason Jones (Round 2): 22 TT, 1.5 SK, 0 FF

• Kendall Langford (Round 3): 26 TT, 2.0 SK, 0 FF

• Pat Sims (Round 3): 28 TT, 1.0 SK, 0 FF
Corners:

• Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Round 1): 33 TT, 3 INT, 15 PD

• Aqib Talib (Round 1): 18 TT, 3 INT, 7 PD

• Leodis McKelvin (Round 1): 21 TT, 2 INT, 3 PD

• Antoine Cason (Round 1): 57 TT, 1 INT, 5 PD

• Brandon Carr (Round 5): 61 TT, 2 INT, 6 PD
Safeties:

• Chris Horton (Round 7): 65 TT, 1 SK, 3 INT, 5 PD

• Charles Godfrey (Round 3): 47 TT, 1 SK, 1 INT, 3 PD
My guess is that Chris Horton wins it. Not only does he have a great story (four picks from Mr. Irrelevant to starting safety his rookie season), but his hard-hitting, Sean Taylor-esque play has contributed to the Redskins having the 7th best pass defense in the league.

It probably won't be a unanimous vote, but I think Horton beats out Mayo & Cromartie to win the award.

Guest Aloysius

It just seems like a particularly weak class to me. I can come up with 7 guys from the '07 draft class who had rookie years comparable or better than Horton's:

• Patrick Willis (Round 1) [DROTY]

• Darrelle Revis (Round 1)

• Leon Hall (Round 1)

• Jon Beason (Round 1)

• Aaron Ross (Round 1)

• David Harris (Round 2)

• Tanard Jackson (Round 4)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Round 1): 33 TT, 3 INT, 15 PD

Lots of tackles, nice INT numbers, and 15 PD's.

This kid is going to be good, and with the attention he is getting and the fact that he is improving over the course of the season, I think he trumps Horton, who has may be sitting out this Sunday with an injury.

Whatever happened to Beau "Patrick Starfish" Bell - the heralded LB of the stains future? I see he gets a tackle every other game, yinz not playing him much?

Dude what is the point of you traveling around the boards on the net? What is this, the 15th board you've been on tonight? Put the beer down and pick up some weights and get in shape. Your fatass is sucking the blood from your brain.

I swear, I feel the need to stand at the top of the gene pool with a gallon of clorox.

Dude what is the point of you traveling around the boards on the net? What is this, the 15th board you've been on tonight? Put the beer down and pick up some weights and get in shape. Your fatass is sucking the blood from your brain.

I swear, I feel the need to stand at the top of the gene pool with a gallon of clorox.

... says the poster with nearly 5,800 posts.

Regards

.... an'at

Guest Aloysius

Where's Bruce Davis?

I could get trashing Beau Bell if he'd been a 1st Round pick, but it's just silly to be mocking a mid-round guy for having 3 tackles in the games he played specials in, especially when your 3rd Round pick hasn't even notched a single tackle in his five outings on specials.

And before you say, "Well, there's plenty of talent ahead of B. Davis," let me know if he got a chance to play defense in Week 10 when LaMarr Woodley was out. Seriously, I'd like to know.

I'm guessing not, considering how he got thrown around like a rag doll in the preseason games. The only time I heard good things about him was when he matched up against Tony Hills in practice. And that's not saying much, considering how Hills seemed to make it his personal mission to get Dennis Dixon killed during the preseason games.

Where's Bruce Davis?

I could get trashing Beau Bell if he'd been a 1st Round pick, but it's just silly to be mocking a mid-round guy for having 3 tackles in the games he played specials in, especially when your 3rd Round pick hasn't even notched a single tackle in his five outings on specials.

And before you say, "Well, there's plenty of talent ahead of B. Davis," let me know if he got a chance to play defense in Week 10 when LaMarr Woodley was out. Seriously, I'd like to know.

I'm guessing not, considering how he got thrown around like a rag doll in the preseason games. The only time I heard good things about him was when he matched up against Tony Hills in practice. And that's not saying much, considering how Hills seemed to make it his personal mission to get Dennis Dixon killed during the preseason games.

maybe we should be asking where is all of PS 3rd round picks or his second day draft picks in the past 4 years?

you make a valid point on bell

Excuse SChuck, he's not a football fan so he doesn't know that Bell has been injured for half the season. And he's yet to understand the difference between a Browns fan on a Browns board and a Steeler fan on a Browns board.

So address the question instead of getting pissy, DD.

Where's Beau?

Are you asking me why our 4th round LB is not DROY? Are you this dense? It is a thread about DROY you moron, of course I am getting pissy. Your post was not about football, it was about busting balls, which you only want to do. Have a football take or STFU.

Where's Bruce Davis?

a] I have no idea where Davis is - I wondered that myself so much that I posted that question on Steeler forums, and nobody had an answer.

b] Nobody on Steeler forums projected Davis to have any kind of significant impact this year like Bell was projected to here, hence my question.

c] No doubt, stains fans are the densest in the NFL. Yinz can't even answer this simple questions after 2 or 3 tries. DNA level C all the way.

Regards

..... an'at

Guest Aloysius

Monthly winners thus far:

• September: Chris Horton

• October: Jerod Mayo

• November: Leodis McKelvin
I think DRC needs an amazing December to win the award.

No question he started off the month well: last week, he notched 5 tackles and returned a pick 99 yards for a TD.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
I'd take note that six straight linebackers have won the award.

Yep. And Mike Mayock says Curry is a faster, more athletic version of the guy who won it this year (Mayo). Todd McShay disagrees - he says Curry is more like the guy who won it last year (P. Willis).

I think Curry wins it next year.

Archived