THE BROWNS BOARD

Lombardi: Haden struggled in camp

shepwrite

Mike Lombardi tossed off a note that he's been told that Joe Haden struggled in camp and didn't show the speed necessary for the position in the NFL. Yikes. Hope it's total bullshit...

But then again, I hated the pick. A corner at #7 better be cleaner than clean with no holes in his game whatsoever. Mangini seemed to be less than psyched about him and warbled like a nervous politician under investigation. "He did some good things, some bad things... about where we'd expect him to be at this point."

Again... yikes.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea yikes!!!!!! A rookie struggling at mini-camp.........Jesus, they havent even learned the plays yet of course he's gonna struggle.

Lombardi says his source's are other coaches around the league........what other coaches are at our practices instead of being at there own???

Lacks speed??????? what he run a 4.4 40, and is said to look faster on film...

Yea yikes!!!!!! A rookie struggling at mini-camp.........Jesus, they havent even learned the plays yet of course he's gonna struggle.

Florio says his source's are other coaches around the league........what other coaches are at our practices instead of being at there own???

Lacks speed??????? what he run a 4.4 40, and is said to look faster on film...

Speed was his biggest issue going in to the draft and many didn't feel he'd have the chops to play corner in the nfl but was better suited for the safety position. It's not at all surprising to hear this and had the Browns not taken him at 7 he probably would have skated damn close to the 2nd round. I'd say the same if he were drafted by a different team.

Mike Lombardi tossed off a note that he's been told that Joe Haden struggled in camp and didn't show the speed necessary for the position in the NFL. Yikes. Hope it's total bullshit...

But then again, I hated the pick. A corner at #7 better be cleaner than clean with no holes in his game whatsoever. Mangini seemed to be less than psyched about him and warbled like a nervous politician under investigation. "He did some good things, some bad things... about where we'd expect him to be at this point."

Again... yikes.

Lombardi has no credibility. I find it interesting that only those who disliked the pick are the ones jumping all over this article. Mangini has come out with quotes saying that Haden is doing well.

Damn relax everyone...we haven't even hit training camp yet. I have a feeling Haden will be FINE. Remember how bad Alex Mack was doing in training camp last year? Remember all the laps he had to run? He played a hell of a rookie season. Lets make judgements on Joe Haden after we've seen him in AT LEAST some preseason action.

So xxxxing pumped for training camp to begin

-b lowe

Shepwrite - of course you thought it was a bad pick, there's a like a huge thread started by you saying how much you hate Colt McCoy too. Just makes me wonder if you actually like anyone on the Browns roster...

Homo - you would have said the same thing about anyone the Browns drafted, and if Haden would have went to the Steelers you would have been wetting yourself.

I heard Maurkice Pouncey would have slipped to the 6th round if the Steelers didn't draft him, he's so awful omg, terrible, I hate him!!!!!!!!!!

Shepwrite - of course you thought it was a bad pick, there's a like a huge thread started by you saying how much you hate Colt McCoy too. Just makes me wonder if you actually like anyone on the Browns roster...

Homo - you would have said the same thing about anyone the Browns drafted, and if Haden would have went to the Steelers you would have been wetting yourself.

I heard Maurkice Pouncey would have slipped to the 6th round if the Steelers didn't draft him, he's so awful omg, terrible, I hate him!!!!!!!!!!

Lombardi has no credibility? He's one of the few on TV that has a credible stance on everything football and he's only reporting what he was TOLD FYI. FeartheROO try not to shit the bed tonight first and foremost. Secondly the Steelers didn't have a lot of interest in Haden based on everything I read leading up to the draft. They too didn't like his speed and actually wanted Earl Thomas. Thomas was obviously drafted before their selection so Maurkice Pouncey was the next highest on the draft board. I would not have been happy with the Haden selection because I didn't feel he was any better than Kyle Wilson and Wilson went substantially later to the Jets. Wilson on the other hand has better size and speed and should do big things in New York. Soooooo no I don't bash the Browns just to Bash the Browns and when I do it's warranted. I'll send you some charmin wipes, just don't eat em okay?

Guys really. Draft picks especially they top 3 choices are half chance. Apparently Holmgren and the gang liked what they saw of the kid at Florida, the combine, and the individual work outs. So Lombardi's fat ass can shut what they call the xxxx up and have another donut. Let these guys play the game and go from there. It'll be much less stressful if you all as Mike Singletary said "Just keep watching, that's all I can tell you. Just keep watching and we'll go from there."

Speed was his biggest issue going in to the draft and many didn't feel he'd have the chops to play corner in the nfl but was better suited for the safety position. It's not at all surprising to hear this and had the Browns not taken him at 7 he probably would have skated damn close to the 2nd round. I'd say the same if he were drafted by a different team.

It was reported he had a bad hamstring but he ran at the combine anyway, he ran a 4.39 at his pro-day. Watch some film, he doesnt lack speed.

Guys really. Draft picks especially they top 3 choices are half chance. Apparently Holmgren and the gang liked what they saw of the kid at Florida, the combine, and the individual work outs. So Lombardi's fat ass can shut what they call the xxxx up and have another donut. Let these guys play the game and go from there. It'll be much less stressful if you all as Mike Singletary said "Just keep watching, that's all I can tell you. Just keep watching and we'll go from there."

However it's also important to acknowledge the propensity for NFL draft picks to bust, especially those coming out of the draft with question marks character related or skill related. He came from a big program where he excelled. He's also a tactician but speed kills in the NFL and if you can't be counted one in one on one coverage you become a liability. He could very well become a liability. HOWEVER he's also a rookie and that's obviously something everyone should take in to consideration. Lombardi is just doing his job and reporting what he was told and saw. There are people here calling for Haden to start opposite Wright and this may indicate he's in no way shape or form prepared to do so when the season begins. You can say "fvck his fat ass" but when it all bolis down he doesn't a pretty damn good job considering the company he keeps in his profession. He always does a great job with the draft just like Mike Mayock. It's a slow time right now but it would be foolish to just cast off what he says because you don't want to hear it.

It was reported he had a bad hamstring but he ran at the combine anyway, he ran a 4.39 at his pro-day. Watch some film, he doesnt lack speed.

Even before the combine there was worry. I agree there is game speed and practice speed and it's still WAY early to discuss anything of this nature. Training camp hasn't even started. Slow points of the off season dredge up reports of this nature.

Lombardi has no credibility? He's one of the few on TV that has a credible stance on everything football and he's only reporting what he was TOLD FYI.

Sorry, maybe he has credibility with other teams but out of the 10,000 article's he wrote on the Browns since Mangini's been here.....he's been dead wrong on about 95% of them

Jesus shep.....you forgot that lombardis sources were "coaches around the league".....like they know anything about browns camp. You're latching onto this to validate your opinion, which you've posted 100 xxxxing times. We get it, you wanted the pickle....we know, stop acting the broken record.

Now, lombardi has absolutely no insiders in the browns.....so he has no credibility when it comes to our team. He was a terrible talent evaluator, which is evident by the shape the teams he left are in. Once he gets real sources or talks to someone in the browns, then ill listen. Until then, he's just trying to get his name in print.

However it's also important to acknowledge the propensity for NFL draft picks to bust, especially those coming out of the draft with question marks character related or skill related. He came from a big program where he excelled. He's also a tactician but speed kills in the NFL and if you can't be counted one in one on one coverage you become a liability. He could very well become a liability. HOWEVER he's also a rookie and that's obviously something everyone should take in to consideration. Lombardi is just doing his job and reporting what he was told and saw. There are people here calling for Haden to start opposite Wright and this may indicate he's in no way shape or form prepared to do so when the season begins. You can say "fvck his fat ass" but when it all bolis down he doesn't a pretty damn good job considering the company he keeps in his profession. He always does a great job with the draft just like Mike Mayock. It's a slow time right now but it would be foolish to just cast off what he says because you don't want to hear it.

Once again a valid point. But I like Mike Mayock because he's one of the few that is objective. Lombardi on the other hand is not. He loves the bandwagon and changes his opinion constantly. Some way some how I think Haden can contribute based on what I've seen of him at Florida. I live in Georgia so I see a lot of SEC games. He may not be the guy opposite to Eric Wright but there are places he can contribute. Like I said these draft picks are half chance and that's with any team. I guess in a way Lombardi is doing his job but I don't put a great deal of stock in what he says or what his sources say.

I try to stay out of debates concerning Gator players since I am a long time Gator season ticket holder and get accused of being a homer.

If Hayden busts...or just plays pretty good but isn't considered a really good corner...it won't be because of speed. It's well documented the kid had a leg problem and probably shouldn't have run at the combine.

He played plenty of press coverage against top SEC receivers who usually have a reputation of being pretty speedy themselves.

Is he Deion Sanders fast?? No, so I am sure there a few receivers in the league who might make him back up 3-4 steps.

What he does have is exceptional quickness and the ability to change direction and stick to his guy...along with solid 4.4 speed....closer to 4.3 something than 4.5 something.

He was the top corner prospect in HS. He was the top corner prospect in college(ok, I know both are debatable....but you get my point )....there is no reason he won't be a top corner in the league.

And for Robo...Pouncey was a heck of a pick...center or guard, he will dominate for 10 years.

Again... yikes.

It almost sounds like you're rooting for the kid to fail.

When I saw Lombardi's take on Haden posted yesterday on Waiting For Next Year, I immediately thought to myself, "I wonder how soon Shep will have this posted on the board."

Look, we all know you don't like the pick, Shep. Duly noted and certainly a fair argument at this point.

However, a few things. Lombardi doesn't know squat about the Cleveland Browns. The guy is a well-documented anti-Mangini stooge. If Mike Florio is president of the anti-Mangini club, Lombardi is second banana. Lombardi certainly isn't getting any of this kind of "news" out of someone in Berea. Also, Haden can just flat out play football whether he's doing it with 4.3 or 4.4 speed. He will be fine and will impress with his physical style of play and coverage skills. He's a first-round talent and the Browns needed help in the secondary and couldn't trade back. Bingo, there's your pick. Our most glaring weakness on defense last year (8th in pressuring the passer/29th against the pass) has become at the very least reliable.

I love this board but not at this time of year <sigh>

We don't know anything about the real Joe yet. It's almost like some of you want him to be a bust to prove yourselves correct. I say give the kid his chance rather than use third hand observations and rumour to call a rookie who hasn't stepped on the field yet a bust. I'll take Ballpeen's view for now, at least he's seen the kid in action to make his comments.

he got drafted by the browns.

of course he's a bust.

TUESDAY, JULY 20, 2010

http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/2010/07/mik...n-whos-too.html

Mike Lombardi vs. Joe Haden: Who's Too Slow for What?

We've said before that we should probably never expect Mike Lombardi to write reasonably about any Browns player, manager, or presumptive draftee as long as Eric Mangini is coaching the team, and hope it will be soon enough that Lombardi can write something about the Browns and everybody can ignore it. But until then, here's Lombardi's latest, this time on Joe Haden:

"According to coaches around the league, Browns first-round pick Joe Haden has not been very impressive in camps and might not have enough speed to play corner. Maybe all that talk about some in the organization wanted to take Kyle Wilson over Haden was true."

We should probably start with the obvious question: What are "coaches around the league" doing at Browns camp? Did Mangini invite them? Did he send out tapes? If so, he's come along way from Spygate.

Wait! Spies! There could be spies in Browns camp who are glad to tell coaches around the league about their own team's specific weaknesses. It might even be a Browns coach who wants the team to do poorly ... so ... he can ... lose his job?

Wait. Really, who could it be? They say Haden is competing with Eric Wright for a starting job. Maybe it's Eric Wright who's talking to coaches around the league?

Wait. It's mini-camp. They're not even rushing the passer yet. They're not even in full pads. How much can we really know about a rookie cornerback after mini-camp?

OK, too many questions here, so let's back up and review what we do know.

We know that Mike Lombardi was calling for Eric Mangini to be fired as Browns head coach only half-way through last season, and in doing so displayed a massive disrespect for facts, logic, and journalistic integrity.

We know that before Lombardi was fired from his position as a Raiders personnel guy and before Mangini took the head coaching job with the Jets, Lombardi once took a trip to interview Mangini for Oakland's defensive coordinator position. Its safe to assume that Mangini rejected an offer by the Raiders. It's also safe to speculate that Lombardi might have thought he could have gotten back into the league if "the right guy" was hired in Cleveland.

We know (well, I know, and you will know after you read this) that Lombardi emailed me last season and said among other things that, "it is my right to not like [Mangini], and not have to justify my sources to you," and that "Mangini will blow the [2010 draft], there is no doubt in my mind."*

We know that some three weeks before the 2010 draft, before the pre-draft smoke got thick and Haden was still the presumptive choice for the Browns, Lombardi "was hearing" that Joe Haden "wasn't a top ten pick."

We know after completion of the 2010 draft's first round, it was immediately floated that there was a split in Browns camp between Haden and eventual Jets' first-round pick Kyle Wilson. Again, who would leak this kind of information if it was true is anyone's guess.

So let's connect the dots. A former NFL personnel exec who can no longer find a job in the league now writes a widely-read column based largely on anonymous sourcing. This columnist has demonstrated and confessed an unmistakable intent to exercise "his right not to like Eric Mangini," and has invested his credibility in the conclusion that Mangini isn't fit to be an NFL head coach. This columnist no doubt knows that if fans are irrationally impatient about anything, it's draft picks, and when Joe Haden looks to be Eric Mangini's presumptive choice as a first round pick, this columnist starts "hearing" that Haden won't be any good. The Browns end up choosing Haden, sparking unfounded rumors that Kyle Wilson was the guy they really wanted. It soon becomes clear that with Sheldon Brown and Eric Wright around, the Browns have the flexibility to bring Haden along relatively slowly, thus giving cover to anyone who wants to inflame fan impatience and bring a head coach down by taking unfounded shots at the rookie cornerback. ("Hey, the first-rounder isn't starting! What's wrong with him? What's wrong with this organization?!")

Now Mike Lombardi is, amazingly, "hearing from coaches around the league" that Haden was "not very impressive in camps and might not have the speed to play corner," and wondering if "maybe all that talk about some in the organization wanted to take Kyle Wilson over Haden was true."

If anybody's "too slow" here, it certainly doesn't seem to be Haden. Do you think this guy would have a job if his last name wasn't Lombardi? No relation, by the way. Thankfully.

Meanwhile, everyone else seems to think that Haden is doing just fine.

That's all for now. Back with more later. Hope everyone's Tuesday gets off to a decent start in the meantime.

----------

*Here's another line from a Lombardi email to me (all in a back-and-forth regarding his aforementioned Mangini hit-job at National Football Post):

"You have no clue, I have spent over 23 years in the NFL. Where did you learn the game? Can you get anyone from the NFL to return your calls?"

I meant to email Lombardi to tell him that I didn't need to spend 23 years in the NFL or be able to get anyone from the NFL to return my calls to go 10-1 against the spread with my playoff picks (while he was flailing away with his picks on Simmons' podcast) but I never got around to it, which is a huge bummer.

lombardi is just like savage...

they just want paychecks in the nfl, and they will snivel and bs forever to get them.

meanwhile, this browns fo and coachin staff FREAKIN REALLY KNOW FOOTBALL.

Archived