THE BROWNS BOARD

Despicable Me Review

Despicable Me

Universal

PG 95 min

I actually held out little hope that I’d love this one for a couple reasons. First I didn’t like the look of the animation from the trailers and I’m getting bored with 3D.

Second is the fact that I think the bland Steve Carell is might be even more overrated than Will Ferrell.

As it turned out DESPICABLE ME is my surprise of the season.

The story is this; two international criminals, Gru and Vector (Carell and Jason Segel) vie for the slot at the top of the criminal world by competing to actually steal the moon.

It looks like Vector has the inside track when Gru hatches a zany plan using three adopted orphans as unwitting cohorts.

At face value it’s just another mean guy who turns soft when saddled with the responsibility of parenthood but it goes way beyond the synopsis.

First off, Carell (as Gru) pulls a funny faux European accent for this character that fits perfectly. I didn’t think he had it in him. Actually all the voices are well done. The producers wisely went with memorable characterizations rather than name recognition. Good idea. Even his minions, those little yellow guys in overalls and goggles are great. The little buggers steal almost every scene they’re in.

I liked the animation too. None of the characters vehicles or sets are run of the mill, yet they seem almost real in a bizarre way. They’re all quirky and interesting enough to keep you interested, just like the plot itself.

On top of it all DESPICABLE ME is both funny and touching. It may not pull on the heartstrings as hard as the mega hit TOY STORY 3 but you’ll surely get that aw shucks feeling at the end. Too bad they both came out so close together. It’s rare to have two such high quality animated features in the same season.

A-

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Despicable Me

Universal

PG 95 min

I actually held out little hope that I’d love this one for a couple reasons. First I didn’t like the look of the animation from the trailers and I’m getting bored with 3D.

Second is the fact that I think the bland Steve Carell is might be even more overrated than Will Ferrell.

As it turned out DESPICABLE ME is my surprise of the season.

The story is this; two international criminals, Gru and Vector (Carell and Jason Segel) vie for the slot at the top of the criminal world by competing to actually steal the moon.

It looks like Vector has the inside track when Gru hatches a zany plan using three adopted orphans as unwitting cohorts.

At face value it’s just another mean guy who turns soft when saddled with the responsibility of parenthood but it goes way beyond the synopsis.

First off, Carell (as Gru) pulls a funny faux European accent for this character that fits perfectly. I didn’t think he had it in him. Actually all the voices are well done. The producers wisely went with memorable characterizations rather than name recognition. Good idea. Even his minions, those little yellow guys in overalls and goggles are great. The little buggers steal almost every scene they’re in.

I liked the animation too. None of the characters vehicles or sets are run of the mill, yet they seem almost real in a bizarre way. They’re all quirky and interesting enough to keep you interested, just like the plot itself.

On top of it all DESPICABLE ME is both funny and touching. It may not pull on the heartstrings as hard as the mega hit TOY STORY 3 but you’ll surely get that aw shucks feeling at the end. Too bad they both came out so close together. It’s rare to have two such high quality animated features in the same season.

A-

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Itsss sooo flufffffyyyyy!

Archived