THE BROWNS BOARD

You should be watching.

Chris.

So with the mysterious absence of a certain regular poster here, and the laziness of myself, the Tribe board here has become pretty stale.

But, mainly due to watching Carlos Santana, and seeing certain things unfolding, I can't contain my Tribe joy any longer. Here's a post about why you should be excited about the Cleveland Indians...and specifically what to be excited about.

Part I

Disclaimer

Ignore the record. This year is all about player development. The record looks really bad, but the season up to this point has still been dominated by players like Austin Kearns, Russell Branyan, Mark Grudzielanek, Anderson Hernandez, Lou Marson, Trevor Crowe and Shelley Duncan. And who cares about any of them. They weren't brought in to help us contend.

Don't concern yourself with the 'firesale' that will probably/hopefully signal the end of Kerry Wood, Jhonny Peralta, Austin Kearns and maybe Jake Westbrook in Cleveland.

2010 is the year of rebuilding. By the end of the month we'll start seeing what the next few years will look like.

So with that....

Part II

The Players

choo.jpg

Name: Shin-Soo Choo

Story: Stolen from Seattle, got a near full-time gig in Right Field in 2008, has been our best hitter ever since.

Why he's awesome: He's a rock. Consistent. Hits for power and average. Cannon arm. Great baserunner. Just an all-around star. And his name is fun to say.

How he's doing: Started off a little slow for his standards, but has picked it up since Santana's arrival. Sporting a .285 avg (.389 OBP) with 13 homers and 12 steals.

The future: With the exodus of CC, Lee and Victor, and the presumed departure of Sizemore, Choo is the headliner of the next core and will be hitting in the middle of our order for the foreseeable future.

Video:

Choo homers off Bronson Arroyo

Choo homers off Bronson Arroyo again

and again

...and again

fausto.jpg

Name: Fausto Carmona

Story: Burst onto the scene in 2007 after a failed relief role in '06, almost won the Cy Young and carried us through the ALDS.

Why he's awesome: The 19 wins in '07. Starring in one of the most memorable games in Tribe history (the bug game, of course). And now he's back to being the ace of our staff.

How he's doing: 7 wins and a 3.86 ERA. Most importantly he's regaining his command, not walking hitters and going deeper into games.

The future: One of the only long-term contracts on the team, if he keeps producing, he's here through 2014 and should stay at the top of the rotation.

Video:

Fausto pitches a complete game against Washington

carlos.png

Name: Carlos Santana

Story: Acquired from the Dodgers for bearded 3rd baseman. Came into the season as one of the top prospects in all of baseball. Has never stopped hitting.

Why he's awesome: The most exciting player to come around in a while. He's a pure hitter. Average, power, plate discipline. Smooth. The total package. And he can run. And he's a switch hitting catcher whose idol is Victor Martinez.

How he's doing: .333 avg, 1.144 OPS in the 19 games since he's been called up. More walks than K's. As many doubles (9) as K's. Electrifying.

The future: Our organization's crown jewel. Firmly planted in the middle of the order.

Video:

Carlos hits his first career home run

Shows off his arm

Crushes one from the right side

And settles for two

Unfortunately they had no highlights of his baserunning. He can move.

perez.jpg

Name: Chris Perez

Story: Acquired from St. Louis for old bum. One of the few Major League-ready prospects we've added, almost instantly dubbed 'closer of the future'.

Why he's awesome: He's fat, bearded and has a mullet. He throws in the mid-90s with a good slider. He's what closers are supposed to be.

How he's doing 2.90 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, his K's are lower than usual, but so are what's thought to be his biggest problem - the walks.

The future: Should be the closer by the end of the month, and will stay there for a long time.

Video:

Perez finishes the ol' 3-4-1

And shows off his heat and his slider striking out a few Royals

masterson.jpg

Name: Justin Masterson

Story: Acquired from Boston in Victor Martinez trade. Converted from a relief role to be a starter.

Why he's awesome: He was born in Jamaica and grew up in Ohio. He's bald, has a funky delivery, throws hard and strikes a lot of guys out.

How he's doing: After a rough start, he's starting to look like a true starter. He's 3-2 with a 3.51 ERA over his last 6 starts. Big question is if he can continue to get lefties out.

The future: He has the size and the stuff to be a good starter, all he needs is the consistency, especially against left handed hitters. If all goes well, he's the number 2 or 3 starter moving forward.

Video"

Masterson two-hits the Red Sox in a complete game shutout

mitch.jpg

Name: Mitch Talbot

Story: Acquired from Tampa Bay for a guy we were going to cut anyway.

Why he's awesome: An underdog. He was sent out of Tampa to make room for the more heralded prospects. People groaned when he was all we got for Shoppach. He's a lefty without much velocity or any electrifying breaking balls, but he's got good command, a good changeup and a great mentality on the mound.

How he's doing: Leads the team in wins (8) and is still sporting a sub-4 ERA. Pitches deep into games and has had some gems.

The future: Could be a coup getting him for Kelly Shoppach. No one should think he can keep up his current pace, but he should be at least solid starter down the road.

Video:

Talbot pitches a complete game against the White Sox.

laporta.jpg

Name: Matt LaPorta

Story: The "close to big league ready" bat we got for CC. One of the organiztion's top prospects with a great minor league resume.

Why he's awesome: Clean up hitter. Power. He's big, strong and he has the credentials. And he's handsome and loves God.

How he's doing: Started the year off slow, was sent to the minors to regain his confidence, crushed the ball there, and he's crushed the ball since returning to Cleveland.

The future: It's been a rough road for LaPorta so far in the bigs. He's been bounced between positions, benched too often, and been back and forth from the minors. Still, he has cleanup potential and if the recent power surge is real, should be yet another middle of the order slugger.

Video:

LaPorta hits a bomb just left of the deep center field

And a bomb to the Tribe bullpen

And a bomb to the Q

(All in consecutive days)

Part III

Honorable Mention

Name: Asdrubal Cabrera

Story: Stolen from Mariners. Became a late-season hero in '07, faded in '08, then became a slick fielding, .300 hitting shortstop in '09.

Why he's awesome: Funny name. Goofy haircut. Omar's number. Good defense, top of the order style hitting.

How he's doing: Before Jhonny broke his arm, he was hitting .287. Should be back in a month or so.

The future: A 24 year old vet for this team, another piece in the next core. Should be entrenched at short in the years to come. Could bat anywhere in the lineup (besides the middle).

Name: Grady Sizemore

Story: Baseball's Brady Quinn. But with talent. And attraction towards females. Ok, maybe Brady Quinn is a bad comparison.

Why he's awesome: Even screaming girls know why Grady's awesome.

How he's doing: Presumably never got fully healthy. Was batting .211 before being shut down for the year for some knee surgery.

The future: Under contract through 2012. The team's success will probably dictate how long he stays.

Part IV

The qualifications

Small sample size.

Don't care. I like this team. Go Tribe.

And Happy 4th of July weekend everyone.

So with the mysterious absence of a certain regular poster here, and the laziness of myself, the Tribe board here has become pretty stale.

That post was all sorts of awesome.

Just in case I'm the absent guy, here's a link to additional awesomeness. Click play on that sucker and just marvel at greatness:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06...ra-pitches.html

Beanpot

That post was all sorts of awesome.

Just in case I'm the absent guy, here's a link to additional awesomeness. Click play on that sucker and just marvel at greatness:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06...ra-pitches.html

Beanpot

That you would be. And excellent link.

It seems like there was more posting going on last year, and I'm not really sure why. I guess the trades started happening pretty early which generated enough controversy. But considering how much Jeremy Sowers and Carl Pavano and Tomo Ohka and Jose Veras and bad Fausto and bad Rafael Perez and such was going on...not the most fun season.

This year every time I see who's starting (with the exception of Westbrook I suppose) I think "I have to see that." Fausto, Mitch and Masterson are fun to watch. Laffey might be getting there. I hope I get to see Choo and Santana hit back to back for a very long time (unfortunately Choo's injury is supposedly more serious than 'day-to-day'). LaPorta's been on fire (until today). Donald's a scrapper. Hafner and Peralta have been decent enough. Hopefully Brantley can get rolling.

And the bullpen has been good. The one year we don't need a good bullpen, of course. But it's been pretty good. Chris Perez is "favorite player" material.

Just a fun team to watch. Now if only we can get Peralta, Crowe, Kearns and Nix/Hernandez out of the lineup.

Just got back from the game.

LaPorta hits his 4th home run in the past week....and appears to shatter his face.

So, no Grady, no Cabrera, no Choo. Maybe no LaPorta? Haven't heard how serious it is yet.

I guess everyone can just re-open this thread next season.

Well, watching the Indians was fun for a few days at least.

12-1 is bad enough. A fan falling from the 2nd deck to the lower bowl trying to catch a foul ball is something else.

As Castro said on Twitter...

Drama follows this Tribe team. D. Huff hit in head by A-Rod liner, Galarraga's imperfect perfect game, fan falls out of stands. What's next?

I'm glad I sat this one out.

Dollar dog night tomorrow. Small victories....

I tell ya i like this rebuilding team alot better than the one we just sold. Back in 2002-4 we were horrible no pitching, no defense, and no offense. At least these guys show glimps of stardum at time. I'm not saying we are a shoe in next year, but the front office told us getting rid of victor, lee, cc, ect. is the way to get a shot at playoffs every 4-6 years.textbook medium market team. I trust the group of men running the indians they know what they are doing (even know its not to likeing of fans).

Thats why the indians are and have been the best run team in cleveland.

Yep, my only real concern is the Lee trade. I like Donald, but either Carrasco or Knapp will have to turn into a good starter for that trade to have been any kind of success.

One thing that's hard to argue about is that this management doesn't half-ass it...

CC was gone at the end of '08, he had to be traded. Victor had been showing signs of wear and tear, and the team knew his still being here wouldn't affect this year's level of contention (or lack thereof). He wasn't going to be re-signed with the team's current finances AND the presence of Carlos Santana, might as well trade him at peak value.

I think Lee should've been traded too, but again, the guys we got for him still haven't shown much reason for optimism. Too early to tell though.

And even though fans consider the team a joke for the "firesales"...it's hard to argue with the results of trading everyone who doesn't have a future here, especially when it's already netted us a cornerstone player (Santana) and another huge piece (Chris Perez)...with some more guys (mainly Jess Todd) still showing potential. Keep the trades coming.

Next up for excitement...Jared Goedert (so long Peralta), Jess Todd (Wood) and Carlos Carrasco (Westbrook).

Yep, my only real concern is the Lee trade. I like Donald, but either Carrasco or Knapp will have to turn into a good starter for that trade to have been any kind of success.

One thing that's hard to argue about is that this management doesn't half-ass it...

CC was gone at the end of '08, he had to be traded. Victor had been showing signs of wear and tear, and the team knew his still being here wouldn't affect this year's level of contention (or lack thereof). He wasn't going to be re-signed with the team's current finances AND the presence of Carlos Santana, might as well trade him at peak value.

I think Lee should've been traded too, but again, the guys we got for him still haven't shown much reason for optimism. Too early to tell though.

And even though fans consider the team a joke for the "firesales"...it's hard to argue with the results of trading everyone who doesn't have a future here, especially when it's already netted us a cornerstone player (Santana) and another huge piece (Chris Perez)...with some more guys (mainly Jess Todd) still showing potential. Keep the trades coming.

Next up for excitement...Jared Goedert (so long Peralta), Jess Todd (Wood) and Carlos Carrasco (Westbrook).

good knowlege of player personnel almost forgot about Goedert and Todd. But I don't think anyone is going to give anything for Westbrook right now. But he's doing a pretty decent job in the ace roll, it would be easy to compile a pretty shitty record. Especially when your always going up against the other teams ace with a young team all around.

I also like this jason Nix cat. Hopefully he is one of those guys that find their home after a few rough years in the bigs.

Archived