THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Joe Thomas injured?

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

That's what The Plain Dealer's Dennis Manoloff wants to know:

Having watched Thomas on tape all season, it is obvious something is missing. The Colts' Dwight Freeney was correct when he said Thomas's upright posture makes him vulnerable to the bull rush. But it's more than that. Thomas does not appear to be as light on his feet as he was as a rookie who made the Pro Bowl. Nor has he dominated an end from start to finish in any game, as he did several times last season. Could something be bothering him physically?

First, off it's important to note that Steinbach's been dealing with injuries all season, which may be part of the reason why Thomas hasn't looked as solid. And if it's a sophomore slump, another '07 rookie LT, Tony Ugoh, has had even bigger troubles than Thomas this year.

But it's still a little disconcerting to hear that our blindside protector is having a down year. I wonder if OL coach Steve Marshall, whose last NFL job was coaching the Texans' awful o-line, is somehow to blame for this.

That's what The Plain Dealer's Dennis Manoloff wants to know:

First, off it's important to note that Steinbach's been dealing with injuries all season, which may be part of the reason why Thomas hasn't looked as solid. And if it's a sophomore slump, another '07 rookie LT, Tony Ugoh, has had even bigger troubles than Thomas this year.

But it's still a little disconcerting to hear that our blindside protector is having a down year. I wonder if OL coach Steve Marshall, whose last NFL job was coaching the Texans' awful o-line, is somehow to blame for this.

I think your last sentence says it all. We need a TOTAL housecleaning...Bring in a Coach with a winning history (Cowher or Marty) & assistants who weren't tied to losers. The current Browns are (as a team) very POOR fundamentally & I blame the coaching staff....A solid fundamental team doesn't have to be fancy to win. It may sound silly, but maybe Joe brought solid fundamentals from College with him that were still in place last year, but this year they have slipped without being addressed.

Just my thought as to a possibility.

Mike

Guest ATENEARS

Good Topic ... It's been obvious that something is much different and it's about time someone from the local press has even mentioned it (besides a passing back-handed comment from Livingston & Shaw).

I've come so close to calling out Thomas here, but didn't want to be accused of just "creating topics for hit counts".

he's been Joe-Average this season and I am beginning to doubt that we will ever have a dominate running game behind him.

He's still a staple to build around, but also needs built-up (or coached up).

I think we were really spoiled last year, it is not often a rookie LT comes in and dominates like Joe did. He has been playing above average this year, just not out of his mind like last year. Last year was a perfect storm offensively, right now we are suffering from injuries and QB play coming back down to earth.

Even with the recent struggles of the line it is a damn site better than the garbage we trotted out there 1999-2006.

Archived