THE BROWNS BOARD

Rolling Stone's 20 Greatest Songs of All Time

Chicopee John

Always a matter of taste and opinion, but here it is.

Let the debates begin

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/sns-r...07.photogallery

FWIW, my opine:

Don't like: (But I do like a ton of Beatle's songs)

#3 Imagine

#8 Hey Jude

#20 Let It Be

Don't get it:

#6 Good Vibrations

#17 Purple Haze

VERY Weak:

#9 Smells Like Teen Spirit

#15 London Calling

VERY Weak:

#15 London Calling

Dude both these bands changed music. IMO these should of been higher.

Don't get it:

#6 Good Vibrations

Broke serious ground on recording and harmonizing techniques. Great song. The Beatles heard what the Beach Boys were doing and mimicked their style. They were in awe with this album.

Great list, as hard as this would be I don't see any issues with this. Love every single song on this list.

IMO, Let it Be is the best Beatles album (except for The Long and Winding Road). There is always a song by my favorites that I don't like.

Maybe one thing I would change is one of the Chuck Berry songs or "I wanna hold your hand" for this:

I saw The Clash at the Hartford Agora, K.

I liked what they did. I just think that London Calling is ranked too high - TOP 10 ALL TIME? I just happen to believe not.

PS I like a lot of Beachboy's stuff just don't get the #6 ranking.

IMHO, there should have been / could have been many 1950's songs - other than by Berry or Elvis - that had huge impacts on R&R. There are easily 20 such songs that could make the all time Top 10.

I saw The Clash at the Hartford Agora, K.

I liked what they did. I just think that London Calling is ranked too high - TOP 10 ALL TIME? I just happen to believe not.

PS I like a lot of Beachboy's stuff just don't get the #6 ranking.

IMHO, there should have been / could have been many 1950's songs - other than by Berry or Elvis - that had huge impacts on R&R. There are easily 20 such songs that could make the all time Top 10.

I disagree, but that is why we are here. The #6 ranking for the Beach Boys is a perfect spot. I think with this being subjective, Rolling Stone had to appease the Rock and Roll community.

I agree with the Elvis and Berry opinion. To be honest I think Elvis was over rated. Mr Cash should of been on the list for sure, switching out one of Berry's songs. I could think of 50 songs that I like better, but for what it's worth they did a great job. And this is coming from someone who lost any respect I had for Rolling Stone when they started putting Britney Spears on the cover.

I disagree, but that is why we are here. The #6 ranking for the Beach Boys is a perfect spot. I think with this being subjective, Rolling Stone had to appease the Rock and Roll community.

I agree with the Elvis and Berry opinion. To be honest I think Elvis was over rated. Mr Cash should of been on the list for sure, switching out one of Berry's songs. I could think of 50 songs that I like better, but for what it's worth they did a great job. And this is coming from someone who lost any respect I had for Rolling Stone when they started putting Britney Spears on the cover.

If nothing else, a GREAT conversation starter!

Just remember, these are the opinions of said group of people. I wouldn't pick a lot of them. I prefer Doors, Simon and Garfunkel, Blue Oyster Cult, Rolling Stones, etc. Some I agree with though. I like a lot of Beach Boys, and dislike some. Same with the Beatles. Interesting though.

FWIW, my opine:

Don't like: (But I do like a ton of Beatle's songs)

#3 Imagine

#8 Hey Jude

#20 Let It Be

Don't get it:

#6 Good Vibrations

#17 Purple Haze

VERY Weak:

#15 London Calling

IMHO the Beatles and Stones are over-represented. Looks like they picked a list of earthshaking songs that changed the course of music- well they missed a few. If you're going to pick one Hendrix song- Purple Haze is it- hell JH was so technically ahead of his time it took 15 years (Stevie Ray Vaughn) before anyone even dared to cover one of his songs- I really don't count Clapton doing "Little Wing' on Layla as a cover because it's so different. (BTW, Hendrix's live version of....... Johnny B.Good- YouTube ...... [[that made the list as the original from Chuck Berry]] shows how Chuck would have wanted to play guitar in his wet dreams). There's lots of Beach Boys songs I'd prefer over Good Vibrations. If you want to pick anthems- like Springsteen's "Born to Run", then where's Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild"? Ditto, even though I personally can't stand him- um, where's Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? If you're going to give a nod to the Metal Crowd I'll vote for Metallica's "Enter Sandman". Glaring omissions in my book? No Pink Floyd, Eagles, or Fleetwood Mac. "Comfortably Numb", "Desperado", and "The Chain" could have easily rated. Oldies? "Unchained Melody" anyone?

The problem is 40's just way too small a number from the tens (or hundreds) of thousands of songs that have come out over the last 60 years. And a lot of it has to do with personal taste. Fer instance, I'm not overly fond of Bob Marley, The Clash, U2, or Linkin Park- to each their own.

Gimme Shelter should have at least been in the teens instead of #38.

Light My Fire should not be in there.

Yesterday should probably be in the top 5.

I would probably switch the positions of Yesterday and Like a Rolling Stone.

I'd probably add a few more Bob Marley songs, yes Steppenwolf's two big ones, also Sweet Child O' Mine by GNR, Desperado and Take it Easy by the Eagles.

Growing up in England. This is my favorite song of all time (mind you 1992). If you think this song suck listen to the second link. Just give it a chance I love the shit you guys love. Don't take the piss. Just listen.

Mind John Squire is the best guitarist since Hendrix.

Or one of my favs. Just listen to the guitar. If anyone for me, listen to this song all the way though.

Always a matter of taste and opinion, but here it is.

Let the debates begin

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/sns-r...07.photogallery

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about the 40 Greatest Rolling Stones songs of all time, not Rolling Stones 40 greatest hits of all time.

Now lets seem them come up with the 40 best by Mick and the boys.

Well, Rolling Stone Magazine always has been about Pop Music. So why shouldn't the Pop Tart be on its cover sometime?

Growing up in England. This is my favorite song of all time (mind you 1992). If you think this song suck listen to the second link. Just give it a chance I love the shit you guys love. Don't take the piss. Just listen.

Mind John Squire is the best guitarist since Hendrix.

Or one of my favs. Just listen to the guitar. If anyone for me, listen to this song all the way though.

that first song sounds a little like hell yea just not as heavy

I think the definition of pop has changed over time there boss.

Maybe, or maybe it is just your personal perception of what pop/rock is that has changed. The best Rock n' Roll Band at all times was the quintessential Pop act. (yes, I mean The Beatles).

No way. Complete different rhythm, timing and chord structure. At least for sure in the verse.

Its a good rock song. Don't know that you have to categorize it, "sounds like Hendrix, sounds like X, sounds like Y, sounds like Z". It is what it is.

Archived