THE BROWNS BOARD

World Cup

Anyone watching the world cup? I haven't missed a game. I know US soccer doesn't match up, but these games are at a different level, pretty exciting. The US v. England match was a damn good game.

I'll watch some of the games- caught all of the US- England match. As to the US not matching up- probably not this year, but as I predicted long ago with all the youth leagues, we're catching up fast. We'll know we've arrived when we get a US born certified Superstar, and it's going to happen eventually.

RE: that US game yesterday- I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. :)

Unfortunately soccer is now probably about sixth on the general US population's radar- behind Football, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, and hockey. The beer companies will never support soccer like they do football, because of the lack of timeouts to pitch their products. And let's face it, unless you can appreciate the precision guys play at on the world cup level, the average US fan considers soccer monumentally boring. Not to the rest of the world, as the World Cup final dwarfs the Super Bowl in viewership.

I'll watch some of the games- caught all of the US- England match. As to the US not matching up- probably not this year, but as I predicted long ago with all the youth leagues, we're catching up fast. We'll know we've arrived when we get a US born certified Superstar, and it's going to happen eventually.

RE: that US game yesterday- I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. :)

Unfortunately soccer is now probably about sixth on the general US population's radar- behind Football, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, and hockey. The beer companies will never support soccer like they do football, because of the lack of timeouts to pitch their products. And let's face it, unless you can appreciate the precision guys play at on the world cup level, the average US fan considers soccer monumentally boring. Not to the rest of the world, as the World Cup final dwarfs the Super Bowl in viewership.

Which begs the question, why is Manchester United the most valuable team with zero commercials during play?

p.s. I've been on the pitch at Old Trafford myself and it is a glorious scene. You can almost feel the history. Just being there makes you feel proud to be a soccer fan.

It was the refs first World Cup game, but you have to make a better call than that.

I don't give a shit. Then he shouldn't of been officiating.

Trust me when the refs in soccer make a mistake they don't treat it lightly in Europe and South America. Not like the guy who made the mistake with the Perfect Game a couple weeks ago. From my days at Elland Road, refs who f*ck up like this is a huge deal. This guy will not be the ref for another World Cup game.

Worst xxxxing ref ever. We were robbed of a win. If we don't make it out of the group, it's gonna haunt us for four years. I don't know how you see a US foul and no Slovenian fouls on that one. Such a load of bullshit. Did he call offsides or what? xxxx that guy. I hope he dies of cancer.

Anywho, that asshole aside, win and we're in.

I don't give a shit. Then he shouldn't of been officiating.

Trust me when the refs in soccer make a mistake they don't treat it lightly in Europe and South America. Not like the guy who made the mistake with the Perfect Game a couple weeks ago. From my days at Elland Road, refs who f*ck up like this is a huge deal. This guy will not be the ref for another World Cup game.

Basically, that was the late night report from ESPN.

Awesome game !

to anyone who missed the game - We had a fair goal disallowed foentr the SECOND time in the tournam and we scored a goal 2 mins before the game ended to make it through to the next round !

WOW !

Yea I didn't mind this call as much. This is a mistake that can be made with off sides. This time no one was getting mugged and tackled and the call goes on US.

IMHO, a nice run - assuming this hasn't already been a nice run - might be what is needed to bring The World Cup to prominence among US residents.

That would be the 'top down' compliment to the 'bottom up' role played by local recreation league, high school, etc. leagues.

I don't believe the 'bottom up' approach, alone, will ever do it.

Didn't see it, but I am glad "we" won.

Gip, that goal was the equivalent of a two out bottom of the ninth home run, or a TD on the last play of the game. And that goal means "we" as a country have finally arrived on the world stage.

It's not just a "glad to be here" thing. We have higher expectations now.

Yep.....think Byner scoring the TD rather than fumbling at the 1.

That is what happened when we were watching, everyone was jumping up pounding fists and smacking hi 5s, I just sat there and wanted to punch that sissy Slaughter in the face more missing his block and our trip to the big show.

IMHO, a nice run - assuming this hasn't already been a nice run - might be what is needed to bring The World Cup to prominence among US residents.

That would be the 'top down' compliment to the 'bottom up' role played by local recreation league, high school, etc. leagues.

I don't believe the 'bottom up' approach, alone, will ever do it.

I think there was a really good take on cleveland.com about soccer- at least now the sport is getting as much recognition in the USA as the Olympics. Everybody seems to be watching.

BTW, don't want to get too far ahead, but the United States got a real favorable draw in the knockout stage. If they can get by Ghana, and probably Uruguay, they wouldn't have to play Brazil until the semifinals.

I wasn't a soccer fan before the cup, but I have really enjoyed watching the game, I learned a lot the last 2 weeks about it. I think all those guys really earn their money playing 45 minutes plus at a time.

soccer.jpg

I really wish to move this thread.

My reason here!

Yea I can't explain it. Growing up in another country provided me with a great experience on why soccer is a great sport. Playing soccer gave be the edge when I played basketball.

I bet you are now going to tell me that NASCAR takes more athletic ability then soccer.

There are so many things wrong with this website, I don't know where to start. I didn't know Die Hard can put together websites.

I understand why you would take a shot at our kind of football but they are just worlds apart and can't be compared - a sport that has billions of followers can't be dismissed out of hand. Anyway, I just watched England get spanked by the Germans so I don't want to watch another "soccer" game for at least 4 years.

C'mon you Browns!!!!!

Archived