THE BROWNS BOARD

Sources: Browns eye Schottenheimer for 2009

DTBH

I have always liked Marty. The key question is what to do with Savage. By the way, great comment by Dan Fouts after Cribbs launched a 50 yard pass to Edwards who appeared to come down with the ball in-bounds, but was called out. No challenge from the Browns. Fouts: "What do you have to lose in challenging the play, someone is a sleep on the Browns sideline." Prophetic statement of the 08 Browns.

Marty got a raw deal here first time around.

We HAVE talent, problem is we have no discipline or direction.

Marty is the RIGHT guy to bring in and whip things into shape.

If Marty comes there will be quite a few guys not invited to camp. He is a no nonsense guy and won't put up with guys like S. Smith. I don't believe he will put up with Winslow's crap either. He would keep Chud who was with him in SD, but I hope he doesn't bring back that "bend but don't break defense".

If Marty comes, I would want to see strong coordinators. That seemed to help him be effective in SD: he was the big picture guy, but gave Cameron and Phillips enough control that he couldnt ruin a game by abandoning the passing game completely in the 4th quarter or going to the prevent with 15 minutes to go.

I wonder how Wade would feel about coaching under Marty again.

i've been reading alot about Marty's first stint here. He truly was a psycho that put his interests ahead that of the team. i have not read about his time at KC, Wash or SD. If he is not a psycho, then i'm guessing he'd still be with one of those teams.

i'm guessing that the word is out that you would be crazy to hire Marty.

Guest ATENEARS
i've been reading alot about Marty's first stint here. He truly was a psycho that put his interests ahead that of the team. i have not read about his time at KC, Wash or SD. If he is not a psycho, then i'm guessing he'd still be with one of those teams.

i'm guessing that the word is out that you would be crazy to hire Marty.

I roomed with Tim Manoa's cousin down at Kent. Manoa first of all hardy spoke, and when he did he didn't want to talk about football ... but if anything I can remember about his time with the Browns, it was that he thought Marty was an asshole for a coach.

We liked picking his brain more about playing for Joe pa at PSU.

I say 'no' to Marty ... do your homework Lerner and find a real leader that will live on the North Coast sideline for many moons to come. No more flash-in-the-pan band aid fixes that you think you can sell to the fans - just get the right guy.

I roomed with Tim Manoa's cousin down at Kent. Manoa first of all hardy spoke, and when he did he didn't want to talk about football ... but if anything I can remember about his time with the Browns, it was that he thought Marty was an asshole for a coach.

I say 'no' to Marty ... do your homework Lerner and find a real leader that will live on the North Coast sideline for many moons to come. No more flash-in-the-pan band aid fixes that you think you can sell to the fans - just get the right guy.

That's what they need. A coach that won't put up with the stupid stuff and get in there face. RAC mister nice guy routine just hasn't worked. LT loved playing for Marty and was mad when they fired him. Marty would be a great hire.

That's what they need. A coach that won't put up with the stupid stuff and get in there face. RAC mister nice guy routine just hasn't worked. LT loved playing for Marty and was mad when they fired him. Marty would be a great hire.

Im with you guys...we have had a coach that is everyones friends...i want one that is the biggest pain in the ass and rides them out of town if they cant take it...coughlin same story..look where they are?..once the team starts winning and buys into the philopsophy its on...and about the bend but dont break d ??..come on...id prefer that then the broken product we have marched out the last decade...

I am one of the few that thinks marty would win quicker than cowher..

my take on marty is that, since he's likely to keep chud as our OC, the only thing that matters is if he'll bring in an aggressive or passive DC. if he brings in an aggressive guy, i'm all for it, especially if wade phillips gets fired in dallas. the two have worked together before and wade is an excellent DC.

if he brings in a two-gap, passive guy, though, i'm decidedly against it.

Boo-xxxxing-hoo.

AS HMFIC, Marty isn't there to be your buddy. He's there to win games, and he's damn good at doing it.

That's our problem - our players want a friend, not a coach. If Marty OR Cowher, about half of these guys will be gone. Good xxxxing riddance I say. Bunch of quitters and losers.

Young, inspiring yet unproven coaches work MUCH better for teams that ALREADY HAVE a winning environment ESTABLISHED. That's the case with Tomlin in Pittsburgh and Harbaugh in Baltimore. Sean Payton made a turn around in New Orleans, but that had more to do with Drew Brees and Reggie Bush than anything else.

We need a winning enviroment here, and a proven guy with a system that works and who isn't just taking guesses on the fly will probably be our best bet. Marty may be the guy.

marvin lewis won't be marty's DC for two reasons: first, cinci isn't gonna fire him. second, marty runs a 3-4 and lewis runs a 4-3/cover 2. they're not compatible defenses.

it only works in pittsburgh because tomlin's the HC and he working with an experienced mastermind in lebeau who's willing to learn anything he can to stay ahead of the game.

but the DC has to know the ins and outs of whatever scheme he's going to run exceptionally well or you end up with an unimaginative D like we have this year.

marvin lewis won't be marty's DC for two reasons: first, cinci isn't gonna fire him. second, marty runs a 3-4 and lewis runs a 4-3/cover 2. they're not compatible defenses.

it only works in pittsburgh because tomlin's the HC and he working with an experienced mastermind in lebeau who's willing to learn anything he can to stay ahead of the game.

but the DC has to know the ins and outs of whatever scheme he's going to run exceptionally well or you end up with an unimaginative D like we have this year.

Marty ran a 4-3 Cover 2 when he was in Cleveland and also when he was in Washington. SD was the first time he ran a 3-4 and that was because of Phillips, not Marty. He fits the system to the players and not the players to a system.

i did not know that. i thought marty was a 3-4 guy. kinda makes me like him a little bit less.

however, he probably ran a straight 4-3 the first time in cleveland b/c the cover 2 as we know it is the brainchild of tony dungy and monte kiffin from their time together in tampa.

it would be interesting to see what system marty thinks are guys are best suited for, though.

Lerner needs to bring someone in that knows the ropes in both a GM and HC positions.. at least until a strong foundation is formed and rebuilt and the upper management and coordinators alike learn how to play under a structured organization that only a few guys can bring to this failsauce club im all for marty or cowher no more 4 year failed training courses for clueless nitwits like crennel..

Some of you guys are amazing to think that the browns can bring in another coordinator project and fix this mess i dont care how brilliant they are no coordinator can become a great head coach in cleveland until it is all restructured because we have no structure we have no trademark anymore we have no owner or president to restore or make an identity we need real coaches and real management people to build this team right so great coordinators can rightfuly inherit the job when marty or cowher leave..we do not need another bunch of on the job training goofs it just doesnt work we need to rebuild upper management first and work on down...

10 years of these wretched experiments is enough..

Archived