THE BROWNS BOARD

Chemistry

Guest Guest_CIMO._*

Guest Guest_CIMO._*

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20..._vs_knicks.html

After the game nearly the entire Cavs team stayed in the shower area for an hour. They were leaning against walls, sitting on counters and enjoying adult beverages all in towels. They were talking, making fun of each other, hanging out. It may seem like normal locker room behavior, but it isn't. Maybe these guys go hang out with each other in groups after the games at restaurants or their houses. But in my six years covering the Cavs I'd never seen that after a game. You have to preface everything you say about these Cavs with 'it's still early,' but I have not seen chemistry like this before. The season is long, trying times are certainly ahead, but the team is more than just winning, they are enjoying doing it with each other."

Good to hear from someone closer to the inside. A lot of us have been talking about this...the Cavs clearly aren't an all-star team like the Celtics, but man do they look good as a team. Something my Dallas-fan friends somehow can't understand. Sure, Kidd is a future hall of famer (not that that means anything in 2008/09), and on pure talent I would probably take Howard and Terry over anyone on our team not named LeBron. But they can't play like LeBron's supporting cast.

I can at least say this is definitely the most fun I've had watching the Cavs since '03 (not counting playoff runs).

I'm very interested about how that chemistry reacts of they go through a tough spell and lose a few games. Chemistry is running at an all time high, but of course winning every game by 93 points helps that a ton.

It's not how many they win or win in a row, it's how they react when they lose. I've always loved that saying.

After the game nearly the entire Cavs team stayed in the shower area for an hour. They were leaning against walls, sitting on counters and enjoying adult beverages all in towels.

I don't know, it sounds a bit strange to me...sort of like a San Francisco bathhouse.

But the guys are playing good ball. Ferry has done a good job of putting some key parts together.

He should get serious consideration for exec of the year.

I think Ben Wallace has a great year, and he makes teams respect inside the paint. Yeah he doesn't score, but between Williams and James, is there really much "ball time" left for another scorer?

I think Delonte West plays harder then anybody else on the cavs, that guy is 100% hustle all game long. I don't care if he doesn't score 20 points every game, but he has all the little things that helps a team stay in the game in the thick of things!

Last night was GREAT proof that there are good basketball players on this team not named Lebron... most notably Mo, Delonte, Boobie, Z, and Varajeo. And Hickson is a comer, too.

As supporting casts go, I think this one is very good.

We absolutely need to move Wally, though. Not sure who we'll go after, but Sasha is perfectly fine at the fourth quard spot, especially on defense (never thought I'd say that, but it's true). I'd move Wally and Wallace for Marcus Camby and start printing Finals tickets.

Z, Camby, Lebron, Williams, and West with Boobie, Andy, and Hickson off the bench? Perfect. Dead solid perfect. Camby does everything Wallace does... and scores 15 a game.

Doesn't really make any sense for the Clippers, they still have all kinds of huge contracts on that team. I would love to get Camby though. I just looked up some other guys who could be dealt for Wally's expiring deal...

Gerald Wallace would be great (and Charlotte is ready to give him up for bargain prices), but his contract (about $10M/year) goes through 2012.

Mike Miller we've talked about before. Contract expires in 2010, good shooter, good passer (4.4 apg). Minnesota probably won't exactly be a buyer at the deadline either. I could really see this happening as a low risk move as Miller is pretty much just an improved version of Wally, and he comes off the books at the best time. Minny has some good role players to make salaries match too.

John Salmons (19.2 ppg, 50% FG, 42% 3pt, 80% FT) could be a steal....making about $6M but contract goes to the summer of 2011. Kings are currently 5-16 so they could be had at the deadline...maybe throw in Mikki Moore (expires in 2010) and give them a draft pick?

I don't know. Those were the best options I could find right now, and I wouldn't even mind hanging onto Wally just to keep our 2010 cap room right. For the first time maybe ever I actually have faith in the Cavs GM to make the right move.

As supporting casts go, I think this one is very good.

Not as good as many fools may think. Once again, LeBron's supporting cast proved to be faulty tonight.

LeBron single-handedly carried this team all night against a good team in a hostile environment. In the final moments, LeBron got a rebound, went the distance of the floor, drew a (of course) triple-team, found a wide open teammate, and watched that teammate brick the ball. Then LeBron heroically snagged the rebound over two Atlanta Hawks, found ANOTHER teammate with ANOTHER wide open shot, and ANOTHER brick resulted.

This supporting cast is average. Not "very good." Just because he finally has a few teammates who can inbound the ball, dribble, execute a play, defend, and make a play does not make them a great supporting cast. It makes them an average NBA supporting cast, and just goes to show how much of a joke the cast has been in past years with the likes of Eric Snow and Damon Jones.

It's just one game, I understand that. But you can't tell me for once second that if that was Fisher, Farmar, Vujacic, Radmonovic, or Odom, they wouldn't have made BOTH of those shots. Even though Bryant never would have made the plays to make those things happen anyway.

Once again, LeBron draws multiple defenders and can't rely on his teammates to help out. Nothing new. This game better have been more of a fluke than the truth or else we can say goodbye to LeBron in 2010.

This supporting cast did not go from average to good. They went from nearly pathetic to average.

They are very good for role players. I've said from the start this is a high lottery team without LeBron, but they do a great job as his sidekicks. You're right though that they look great by default thanks to the Jones/Hughes/Gooden etc years. I guess it's all about the smart play now. Nowhere near as many dumb shots, bad passes, stupid dribble moves...

That said, LeBron isn't a guy I want shooting the last second 3. And Mo and Delonte are both under 40% from 3 both for the season and their careers. Even Gibson is only hitting 31% this year. I hate the knock on LeBron everyone uses, saying they'd rather have Kobe take the last shot so Kobe is the better player. But still, if LeBron's not going to shoot it...he needs a Paxson or Kerr (45-50% 3 shooters) ready to do the job.

If we could get a guy like Kapono or Anthony Parker or Chris Quinn, some true sniper, we'd be in great shape.

Guest Masters
Not as good as many fools may think. Once again, LeBron's supporting cast proved to be faulty tonight.

LeBron single-handedly carried this team all night against a good team in a hostile environment. In the final moments, LeBron got a rebound, went the distance of the floor, drew a (of course) triple-team, found a wide open teammate, and watched that teammate brick the ball. Then LeBron heroically snagged the rebound over two Atlanta Hawks, found ANOTHER teammate with ANOTHER wide open shot, and ANOTHER brick resulted.

This supporting cast is average. Not "very good." Just because he finally has a few teammates who can inbound the ball, dribble, execute a play, defend, and make a play does not make them a great supporting cast. It makes them an average NBA supporting cast, and just goes to show how much of a joke the cast has been in past years with the likes of Eric Snow and Damon Jones.

It's just one game, I understand that. But you can't tell me for once second that if that was Fisher, Farmar, Vujacic, Radmonovic, or Odom, they wouldn't have made BOTH of those shots. Even though Bryant never would have made the plays to make those things happen anyway.

Once again, LeBron draws multiple defenders and can't rely on his teammates to help out. Nothing new. This game better have been more of a fluke than the truth or else we can say goodbye to LeBron in 2010.

This supporting cast did not go from average to good. They went from nearly pathetic to average.

Huh?!?!?!!?!?!?

God, where to start.

Mo put up 26 points last night. West and Varejao gave 11. Mind you only 2 of those guys are part of the normal starting lineup. Yeah, that is no support from the supporting cast :rolleyes:

If you follow basketball and this team this year, what hurt CLE last night was not having Z. That is a loss of another 14pts expected a game and 8 rebounds.

CLE for the first time in a long time this season lost the rebound battle. And they had an off night shooting.

If you think Fisher, Farmar, Vujacic, Radmonovic, or Odom make both of those missed 3's, you don't watch the Lakers either. Fisher hasn't hit a clutch shot since the mirical shot when Shaq was still with the Lakers. Where were those clutch guys in last years finals (and when have Farmar, Vujacic, Radmonovic, or Oden ever been clutch)? Oh yeah, they didn't show up. CLE and ATL put up more of a fight against the Celtics than the Lakers did.

You can hate on Lebron and the supporting cast all you want, but to date this year, they have shown up. Last night was playing back to back while missing a key part of the team in Z. But the supporting cast on this team is on par with the top teams in the league.

Feel free to take a one game sampling to judge the supporting cast. All the while ignoring the other 20 games where the supporting cast has been hitting those open shots.

Guest Masters
They are very good for role players. I've said from the start this is a high lottery team without LeBron, but they do a great job as his sidekicks. You're right though that they look great by default thanks to the Jones/Hughes/Gooden etc years. I guess it's all about the smart play now. Nowhere near as many dumb shots, bad passes, stupid dribble moves...

That said, LeBron isn't a guy I want shooting the last second 3. And Mo and Delonte are both under 40% from 3 both for the season and their careers. Even Gibson is only hitting 31% this year. I hate the knock on LeBron everyone uses, saying they'd rather have Kobe take the last shot so Kobe is the better player. But still, if LeBron's not going to shoot it...he needs a Paxson or Kerr (45-50% 3 shooters) ready to do the job.

If we could get a guy like Kapono or Anthony Parker or Chris Quinn, some true sniper, we'd be in great shape.

CLE had Kapono and let him go (never understand that move).

West is just shy of 40% this year from beyond the arc and on pace for a career year behind the line. Boobie is certainly off this year.

But let's be honest, games should never come down to needing a last second 3 to tie the game. Missing Z in back to back games is gonna have its effect on both ends of the court and in rebounding, which is what hurt CLE last night.

Folks, it's 24 games into a 82 game schedule. Only in CLE after an 11 game winning streak and the supporting cast playing great all through it (James wasn't even playing in 4th quarters and CLE's average margin of victor was over 15pts) do the fans quickly assume the worst. Tell me again how the supporting cast is not that good, and CLE was doing what only 3 teams in history have ever done (winning by that much over 11 games in a season).

Archived