THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Draft Thread

WPB Dawg Fan

@ balllpeen: yeah, taylor mays, al davis' new dreamchild. i think he can have a polamolu/taylor/reed-esque career, too, but doubt that we'll get him since oakland's likely to pick before we will. he's got the speed and ferocity that make for a new-generation NFL stud.

and while eight is a bit high for a safety, taylor went five to washington in 2004. one of the reasons we don't think mays should go that high is because he's not being asked to do enough at USC. all they have him do is play center field, and he can do so much more than that if given the chance.

had cribbs played any defense in college, i'd agree. i just don't know if he'd have started too late to make an impact in the NFL. chris gamble played some corner in college after being a wideout, but he's really only coming into his own as a corner now in his career. cribbs is much more of a hitter, though.

however, after thinking about the impact that patrick willis had on san fran's 3-4, i'd be happy with either mays or curry if curry turns out to be a willis-type player, someone who can do pretty much everything, which it looks like he can.

since i'm not the owner, i say buy that draft pick. fine by me. however, i think the most we can get for DA at this point is a four, K2 a second, likely a third, but you have to remember that the saints gave up a second and a fifth for shockey. it's like what happened last year with DTs; once the going rate is established, it's pretty much what teams stick to.

that's the most i can see us getting for winslow; his injury history really hurts his trade value. and i still think we only trade ihm if rucker turns out to be a viable player. otherwise, with heiden likely to hit a severe downslope in his career soon, we'd be without an answer at TE, and that's just one more hole we don't need.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many premium guys and too many needs for Davis to take Mays. If Cleveland wants him over a ILB he will be there.

Might depend on who the new coach is and what scheme. Also, if the new coach decides to resign Jones.

i'd like to think so, bu crazy al has gone DB at least four times in the first since 2001, and that number may even be six. i did the research before but have no memory.

let's hope he falls in love with michael crabtree.

I was going to say the same thing....and davis has put a premium on defensive backfield players since way back when...he has even made comments that they are the most important component of a defense...and in some way I agree....and the NFL is starting to agree....corners and safeties regularly go high in the draft where in the past you could get good players in the 2nd-3rd round.

now...if you don't get them by the early 2nd round, you are going with a shot in the dark.

I think damajuki brought him up before, so I'll note that Notre Dame free safety David Bruton has been invited to the Senior Bowl.

As of now, nfldraftscout projects that Bruton will be taken in Round 5. They compare him to former Buckeye Nate Salley, who's currently a backup for the Carolina Panthers.

Good memory, Al. Thanks for the mention though all I really did is ask you pro's what you've heard on him.

He'll be an interesting name to follow. I think he's a bit under the radar because of ND's defensive woes in the past but he and the D were actually decent this year. It was the offense that really failed the D and the team.

I think he may have enough speed to stick in the NFL and he definitely can hit. He's a bigger safety, I believe. Could be someone for us to keep an eye on for a developmental safety on Day Two.

i'd like to think so, bu crazy al has gone DB at least four times in the first since 2001, and that number may even be six. i did the research before but have no memory.

let's hope he falls in love with michael crabtree.

Al loves those stretch the field WRs. Maybe he would take Edwards and we could get Crabtree.

Guest Aloysius

PFW's Nolan Nawrocki has a good writeup on this year's top LB prospects:

LB class might be best in years

Here are a few of the more notable profiles:

Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

6-1 3/4, 250, 4.61

A thickly built, strong, physical, hard-hitting ’backer with the size, instincts and overall athletic ability to line up at any position in a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. Curry’s value in large part stems from his versatility, as few linebackers possess the skill set to be effective at any position in either system. Might not have the overall length desired in a rush linebacker but has been extremely productive playing over the tight end, and his strength at the point of attack and ability to shed blockers is rare. With knuckle-breaking hand strength, he ragdolls blockers and plays a big man’s game with power. The most complete ’backer to come out in a long time, Curry has few deficiencies in his game and easily could fit into the top five. Scouts love his physical skill set.

Rey Maualuga, USC

6-2e, 250e, 4.7e

A true “Mike” linebacker with terrific strength at the point of attack, Maualuga still gets out of position too often and takes some questionable angles. When he has a clean window, he can strike with the authority of a small truck and level ballcarriers. However, he is tight in the hips, does not change direction cleanly and could be restricted on third downs, limiting his overall value. Durability and overall character still need closer examination, and perhaps the biggest question scouts will want answered is whether he can be more than a two-down, “Mike” ’backer in the NFL. A strong tackler with good overall instincts, Maualuga should contribute readily in the pros if he can stay focused.

Clint Sintim, Virginia

6-2 3⁄8, 250, 4.7e

Playing the same position at which Shawne Merriman excelled at Maryland, Sintim has been a force coming off the edge and has the experience rushing the passer to transition easily to the highly desired rush LB spot in a 3-4 front. Leading the nation in sacks from the LB position, Sintim has shown he can stick his hand in the dirt or drop into coverage. Having shed weight and shown better hand use and burst off the edge this season, he plays physically and also could be effective playing inside. However, he’ll warrant the most interest for his pass-rush ability and should fit into the first round.

Mark Herzlich, Boston College (Jr.)

6-4e, 240e, 4.7e

A miniature version of former NFL LB Bill Romanowski, Herzlich is expected to remain in school and could benefit from another year of seasoning. Somewhat mechanical and robotic in his movement, yet athletic enough to make plays to the sideline, “Little Romo” plays smart, with good technique and hand use and gets the most out of his ability. Somewhat similar to Patriots LB Mike Vrabel with the length and power desired to rush the passer, Herzlich could project outside in a 3-4 front. Leading the team in tackles from the SLB position, Herzlich’s motor, intensity and playing demeanor project well to the pro game.

Sintim would be a good one but it would be touchy if we wanted to get him at the top of round 2...and it would be way too early to take him in round 1...the kid from BC might be a good option if we go RB or CB in round 1.

I somehow think RB might come in to the mix in round 1. Both Moreno and Wells are going to go near our slot.

The ideal for us is for 1 of the two top backs to be drafted before we pick...a team with their eyes on one might offer up a 2nd for us to drop 4-5 slots and swap positions in round 4.

Lots of options.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Interesting piece of info from PFW:

We hear there’s a lot of sentiment from the Seahawks’ fan base for the team to draft USC junior S Taylor Mays. Safety appears to be an increasingly pressing need for Seattle, considering how much FS Brian Russell has regressed this season, and Mays is a local high school product.

wouldn't surprise me. their defense has always been abysmal, and jim mora, jr., who's going to be the HC when the walrus leaves after this year, came up as a DB coach and would likely love someone of mays' talents.

as long as whoever's picking in front of us doesn't take curry, i'll be okay with it. oj atogwe is a free agent this year and is a great option, definitely someone worth looking into as a replacement/complement to jones/pool.

just watched him play after samoth brought him up in another thread. dude had a pick and seven solo tackles but couldn't prevent a game-winning 46-yard TD catch (though there were two other rams in the area who also didn't stop it).

had a decent game for a terrible team, something that no one's doing in cleveland right now. definitely worth a look.

while i don't believe that otogwe is an upgrade over a healthy jones, he'd be a great addition to the team. jones has been inconsistent this year because he's been recovering from injury, and even though he's been healthy enough to play, he hasn't been able to be as effective as he possibly can be this year. next year, provided he's not injured again, should show a return to form.

at some point, a coach will use a safety as the mike linebacker in a 3-4 scheme in passing situations, especially if the safety is decent in coverage (especially zone) and can really hit. bringing in otogwe would allow us to do that and still have two quality safeties over the top. the only problem is that it might displace d'qwell, but we could run a 2-4-5 as a 2-3-6 with rogers and williams up front flanked by wimbley and hall with d'qwell and jones as the 2 ILBs in obvious passing situations and bot be too hurt by running plays.

after that ramble, thanks for bringing him up in the first place. dude can play.

Guest Aloysius
Illinois junior cornerback Vontae Davis, who has been projected as a possible first-round pick, announced Monday that he will enter next year’s NFL draft. A three-year starter for Illinois, Davis led Big Ten Conference cornerbacks this season with 78 tackles along with two interceptions. The two-time first-team All-Big Ten pick is the younger brother of San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis. “It has been a goal of mine for a long time to have the opportunity to play in the NFL,” Davis said. “I thank (Illinois) Coach (Ron) Zook and all my teammates at Illinois who have helped me get to this place. “Because I was able to get on the field early at Illinois and because Coach Zook believed in me so much, I think I am ready for the new challenge that professional football brings.”

Guest Aloysius

I'm glad you're considering coming aboard, D'Qwimbley ;)

I don't know if you can access espn360 (it depends on your ISP). But if you can, I recommend checking out the replay of Wake Forest's game against Florida State (09/20). In that game, Curry played a little more inside in Wake's modified 3-4 look, and he did a very good job sifting through the trash and making plays behind the line of scrimmage.

At the end of the day, he had an interception, a recovered fumble, and at least one tackle for loss.

The only hole I see in his game is the one Mike Mayock pointed out: at times, he can get too excited and miss making a big play. It's a concern, but it's also something that I notice even more when I watch Maualuga play.

Guest Aloysius

The NCAA has granted Texas receiver Jordan Shipley a special sixth year of eligibility, so he won't be available in this year's draft.

Kind of a disappointment: Shipley seemed like a possible mid-round receiving option for us. He looks like he could be a very good NFL slot receiver.

In addition to that, he brings value as a returner and all-around special teams demon.

You have to love Shipley after watching that.

Guest Aloysius
Orange defensive tackle Arthur Jones will return to Syracuse for his senior season. A 2008 All-BIG EAST First Team selection, Jones ranks sixth on the Orange record list for tackles for loss (31.5) and 13th on the career list for tackles by a defensive lineman (125).

“I want to finish what I started and leave Syracuse a winner,” Jones said. “It is about this program and getting it turned around. We have a great team coming back. I really believe we can get this going in the right direction.”

Also, Duke DT-DE Vince Oghobaase announced that he's returning to school for his senior year.

Both were considered possible Day One 3-4 DE prospects.

Archived