THE BROWNS BOARD

Winslow's Season Ended?

WPB Dawg Fan

It sounds like Winslow may be done for the season:

Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow injures left ankle, will undergo MRI Monday

Monday, December 01, 2008

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Browns tight end Kellen Winslow suffered a left ankle injury on the first play of the second half and didn't return. He left the locker room in a walking boot.

He will undergo an MRI scan today to determine the extent of the damage. After the game, Winslow was limping badly around his locker area and had crutches available. He walked out in the boot instead, and receiver Donté Stallworth walked with him to make sure he was OK.

"You guys will know soon enough," said Winslow.

Winslow caught three passes for 15 yards in the first half. With fellow tight end Darnell Dinkins already inactive with a high ankle sprain, rookie Martin Rucker saw his first action of the season and caught a 9-yard pass over the middle in the fourth quarter for a first down.

Rucker had been inactive for all but one of the previous 11 games. Though active, he did not play against Jacksonville. Now it appears the rookie will get a chance to show what he can do in the final four games.

Winslow usually says something to the effect "don't worry, I will be there"....not "you will know soon enough". That to me sounds like his season is over....or at least that HE expects it to be. Add in the fact we are now down to Dorsey at QB and he may not be pushing to get back any time soon.

Just another reason for us to think about trading him this off-season. He has been a good (to great) player, and tough as nails...but he is also ALWAYS injured and will likely start his decline in the very near future. He will likely garner us more in a trade this off-season than at any point in the future....so gotta say he is gone.

It sounds like Winslow may be done for the season:

Winslow usually says something to the effect "don't worry, I will be there"....not "you will know soon enough". That to me sounds like his season is over....or at least that HE expects it to be. Add in the fact we are now down to Dorsey at QB and he may not be pushing to get back any time soon.

Just another reason for us to think about trading him this off-season. He has been a good (to great) player, and tough as nails...but he is also ALWAYS injured and will likely start his decline in the very near future. He will likely garner us more in a trade this off-season than at any point in the future....so gotta say he is gone.

As much as I like K2, hes gotta go. He has had injury problems his whole career. Hes still one tough sob, but he lost a few steps. Lets unload him while he is still worth something.

I think his career is over, at least with the Browns. The guy has been injured so many times already. Its a pity. I think if the stupid motorcycle accident, and subsequent staph infections had not occurred, he could have been a great one, maybe as good as his father even. We will never know.

post-80-1228160956_thumb.jpg

Winslow's season is over........oh my we lose a slow big mouthed whiner crubaby who makes penalties and plays hard..........OH MY HOW CAN THE Browns RECOVER IN THE NEXT TEN DECADES

If Rucker steps in and does well, does Phil deserve some credit?

If Wright and B-mac continue on the A team, Quinn pans out, and Rucker can replace Winslow... I'm not sure Phil is doing such a bad job. He got the better of the S. Rogers deal. I'm starting to think he can make a case for himself, with his main blunder being not trading DA at peak value, but he can also say "I told you we needed two QB's, and excuse me for not predicting a need for three".

Hmm..., not sure if Phil doesn't have a case to make that with the right coaching, things could have been OK, and he at least did well enough to keep his job.

Sounds great! Get rid of one of our best, established players and hope a Savage draft choice will fill his shoes. :rolleyes:

If this was Belichick/Pioli drafting, maybe. But I'd hesitate giving up a player of Winslow's calibre (even if he is a shell of his former self) and bank on an unknown quantity, ESPECIALLY since we'll be most likely starting a young, inexperienced QB who'll need someone to check down to.

Trading Winslow is an awful idea, people.

Guest ATENEARS

If Winslow is done for the year (again), in his five seasons since being drafted he will have only competed in 10 of the 24 games we've had here in December & January since his arrival.

He has averaged 4.3 receptions for 45.8 yards and NO TD's in those ten games. He has never scored in December & January.

He was a first round pick, 6th overall.

A TE that can't make it to the cold weather games? No wonder we have no identity.

heiden's career is almost over. as soon as he starts slowing down, he's no longer a viable threat in the passing game, which will mean teams know we're running the ball when we bring him in, just like they know we're passing when we bring K2 in.

i'm not going to advocate trading winslow yet. we need to find out what rucker can do first. but, if rucker can play, it'll make trading winslow look a lot easier. if we can get multiple picks for a guy who's only on the field half the season, it'll definitely be something the front office has to consider, especially if he doesn't particularly want to stay.

heiden's career is almost over. as soon as he starts slowing down, he's no longer a viable threat in the passing game, which will mean teams know we're running the ball when we bring him in, just like they know we're passing when we bring K2 in.

i'm not going to advocate trading winslow yet. we need to find out what rucker can do first. but, if rucker can play, it'll make trading winslow look a lot easier. if we can get multiple picks for a guy who's only on the field half the season, it'll definitely be something the front office has to consider, especially if he doesn't particularly want to stay.

i agree with heidens career being almost over, but at least they can split time and the kid can learn the offence for a while.

I have to agree with the op we need to trade k2 while the getting is good rucker looks promising from what little we have got to see and heiden is looking old and ragged out now its to much for him to play most downs game in and game out...

Big deal. I would accept any offer for him. He has never been a 'part of the team'.

Its always been about Kellen. Maybe next time he has his genitals peirced and contracts a staff infection he can cry to his new boss. BYE BYE

Of course it's all about Kellen-he's the entire team!! It's no wonder they lost yesterday--who the heck was DA gonna throw it to? Braylon "EDWARD SCISSORHANDS"?? "DON'T" Stallworth?

Cleveland has held him back his entire career here, if he wants to leave it's no wonder. You better hope he doesn't though, cuz he won't forget and then every time the Browns play him I bet he'll score like 5 TD's against them. So they better keep him.

And what's this about his genitals? You scooped that one, I've never heard anything about that.

Exactly how has cleveland "held him back"?

Did they buy that motorcycle for him which he turned into a career wrecker?

I give the guy props, he's fought through a lot, but lets cut the shit. This kid has made his own path with his stupid decisions.

Well first off they had him playing special teams instead of starting in '05 which in turn broke his leg. While I'll agree the motorcycle injury sucked, it was Cleveland's staph that kept him away so long, not the offseason injury. He would have been back in time if it weren't for that.

Kellen Winslow Jr. is ten times the player his dad was. He just hasn't had the opportunity to show it.

Of course it's all about Kellen-he's the entire team!! It's no wonder they lost yesterday--who the heck was DA gonna throw it to? braylon "EDWARD SCISSORHANDS"?? "DON'T" stallworth?

Cleveland has held him back his entire career here, if he wants to leave it's no wonder. You better hope he doesn't though, cuz he won't forget and then every time the Browns play him I bet he'll score like 5 TD's against them. So we better keep him.

And what's this about his genitals? You scooped that one, I've never heard anything about that.

It sounds like your the leader of his fan club, i'm just sayin.

Sounds great! Get rid of one of our best, established players and hope a Savage draft choice will fill his shoes. :rolleyes:

If this was Belichick/Pioli drafting, maybe. But I'd hesitate giving up a player of Winslow's calibre (even if he is a shell of his former self) and bank on an unknown quantity, ESPECIALLY since we'll be most likely starting a young, inexperienced QB who'll need someone to check down to.

Trading Winslow is an awful idea, people.

What exactly has he done for us that is so great?

He wasn't even on the field for us when we beat the New York Giants.

This entire city needs to stop falling in love with people who are playmakers in name only.

Archived