THE BROWNS BOARD

The earliest I ever felt like talking about the draft.

calfoxwc

FIRST ROUND

I left out Curry because I think he'll be gone before the Browns pick...

LB, James

Laurinaitis,Ohio State Laurinaitis won the Butkis Award in 2007 and could have been a top ten pick if he would have entered the 2008 NFL Draft.

DT, B. J. Raji, Boston College Raji is a monster at 6' 1" 325 pounds and already has five sacks this year. A great nose guard prospect that creates havoc on the inside.

RB, Chris (Beenie) Wells, Ohio State (JR) Wells (6' 1" 225 lbs/ 4.46 speed) has all the talent in the world and might go much higher than this.

CB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State I was surprised Jenkins didn't enter the 2008 NFL Draft, where he would have been a top 20 selection. Jenkins is the top rated cornerback entering the 2008 season.

OG, Duke Robinson, Oklahoma A mammoth (6' 4" 335 lbs) road grader who is light on his feet and can pull very well.

(surely he would be a better RT than Shaffer. My neice has a horse that would be a better RT than Shaffer....

********************************************************************************

SECOND ROUND (TRADE EDWARDS FOR AN EXTRA SECOND ROUND PICK) (okay, or a firstwhatever)

WR, Brian Robiskie, Ohio State Robiskie should be one of the top senior receivers available for the 2009 NFL Draft. He is the son of former NFL player and current coach Terry Robiskie. He may go in the first round, though.

******* sentimental favorite, he needs to be a Cleveland Brown:

OLB, Clay Mathews, USC A pass rushing terror that is having a great year. His father played 13 years in the NFL as a linebacker. Has the size (6' 4" 244 lbs) to play in a 3-4 defense.

DE, Connor Barwin, (6' 4" 250 lbs) linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

OT, Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina

CB, Coye Francies, San Jose State Francies has nice size (6' 1" 186 lbs) and NFL scouts are just raving about this kids man to man cover skills.

CB, Domonique Johnson, Jackson State Johnson has nice size (6' 2" 190 lbs) and blazing speed (4.39). NFL scouts are just raving about this kids man to man cover skills.

Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech (3-4 end - 6'2 - 293 lbs.)

********************************************************************************

THIRD ROUND (we don't have third round pick? Trade ANDERSON)

OG, Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech prototype size at 6' 6" 335 pounds.

C/OT, Max Unger, Oregon Unger has decent size, (6' 5" 308 lbs), is extremely athletic, but needs to get into the weight room, best position might be tackle.

Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State

Mark Parson, CB, Ohio

Xavier Fulton, OT, Illinois

Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon

Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State

Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame

Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech (3-4 end)

Since I went to college with Jack Lambert, I watched him like a hawk

at games. I always wanted a taller, rangey, smart buttkickin lb.

I would love to have the Browns get a 3rd rounder with Anderson,

and get this kid.

so, my Jack Lambert pick of this draft is:

Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin

Height: 6-6 DE Rank: 8

Weight: 251 Overall Rank: 82

Year: Sr 40 Time: 4.66

Top 4 teams likely targeting Matt Shaughnessy.

Team # Drafts %

Chicago Bears, Pick 79 1 16.7

New England Patriots, Pick 52 1 16.7

Dallas Cowboys, Pick 73 1 16.7

Indianapolis Colts, Pick 57 1 16.7

Matt Shaughnessy Scouting Report by BadgerNation

Pros: Quick, tall, athletic defensive end prospect. Very disruptive on passing situations, always seems around the ball on running plays. Can play a 4-3 end in a cover-2 defense, or a 3-4 edge rusher. Team leader and positive influence.

Cons: Slightly undersized, needs to bulk up. He will need to work on technique and upper-body strength to face elite NFL tackles.

Overall: A great pass-rusher and solid hybrid DE/LB prospect. A hard worker and a team leader.

Guest ATENEARS

Laurinaitis should have entered the draft last year, I will be really surprised if he is even taken in Round-one this season. i pray that we don't go anywhere near him.

Brian Robiskie will more than likely drop down do to the fact we havn't thrown the ball that often since Pryor became QB. not to say he is a bad receiver, he isnt he is a good route runner and and knows the game. his father taught him well.

Laurinaitis - I think Stan is right. After this past year, he isn't an A.J. Hawk.

if Jenkins is there, I'd have to take him, I think.

In the second, I'd be looking at

Robiskie, Mathews or Shaughnessy, Reynolds or Walker.

Robiskie is a smart player, fast, and he really catches the ball. (see ya Braylon, don't let the door hit ya...)

Now I wish we had 4 second round picks. dammit.

Laurinaitis should have entered the draft last year, I will be really surprised if he is even taken in Round-one this season. i pray that we don't go anywhere near him.

last year he had a terrible time covering TE's This year he has done a Great Job at it.

FIRST ROUND

I left out Curry because I think he'll be gone before the Browns pick...

LB, James

Laurinaitis,Ohio State Laurinaitis won the Butkis Award in 2007 and could have been a top ten pick if he would have entered the 2008 NFL Draft.

DT, B. J. Raji, Boston College Raji is a monster at 6' 1" 325 pounds and already has five sacks this year. A great nose guard prospect that creates havoc on the inside.

RB, Chris (Beenie) Wells, Ohio State (JR) Wells (6' 1" 225 lbs/ 4.46 speed) has all the talent in the world and might go much higher than this.

CB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State I was surprised Jenkins didn't enter the 2008 NFL Draft, where he would have been a top 20 selection. Jenkins is the top rated cornerback entering the 2008 season.

OG, Duke Robinson, Oklahoma A mammoth (6' 4" 335 lbs) road grader who is light on his feet and can pull very well.

(surely he would be a better RT than Shaffer. My neice has a horse that would be a better RT than Shaffer....

SECOND ROUND (TRADE EDWARDS FOR AN EXTRA SECOND ROUND PICK) (okay, or a firstwhatever)

WR, Brian Robiskie, Ohio State Robiskie should be one of the top senior receivers available for the 2009 NFL Draft. He is the son of former NFL player and current coach Terry Robiskie. He may go in the first round, though.

******* sentimental favorite, he needs to be a Cleveland Brown:

OLB, Clay Mathews, USC A pass rushing terror that is having a great year. His father played 13 years in the NFL as a linebacker. Has the size (6' 4" 244 lbs) to play in a 3-4 defense.

DE, Connor Barwin, (6' 4" 250 lbs) linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

OT, Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina

CB, Coye Francies, San Jose State Francies has nice size (6' 1" 186 lbs) and NFL scouts are just raving about this kids man to man cover skills.

CB, Domonique Johnson, Jackson State Johnson has nice size (6' 2" 190 lbs) and blazing speed (4.39). NFL scouts are just raving about this kids man to man cover skills.

Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech (3-4 end - 6'2 - 293 lbs.)

THIRD ROUND (we don't have third round pick? Trade ANDERSON)

OG, Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech prototype size at 6' 6" 335 pounds.

C/OT, Max Unger, Oregon Unger has decent size, (6' 5" 308 lbs), is extremely athletic, but needs to get into the weight room, best position might be tackle.

Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State

Mark Parson, CB, Ohio

Xavier Fulton, OT, Illinois

Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon

Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State

Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame

Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech (3-4 end)

Since I went to college with Jack Lambert, I watched him like a hawk

at games. I always wanted a taller, rangey, smart buttkickin lb.

I would love to have the Browns get a 3rd rounder with Anderson,

and get this kid.

so, my Jack Lambert pick of this draft is:

Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin

Height: 6-6 DE Rank: 8

Weight: 251 Overall Rank: 82

Year: Sr 40 Time: 4.66

Top 4 teams likely targeting Matt Shaughnessy.

Team # Drafts %

Chicago Bears, Pick 79 1 16.7

New England Patriots, Pick 52 1 16.7

Dallas Cowboys, Pick 73 1 16.7

Indianapolis Colts, Pick 57 1 16.7

Matt Shaughnessy Scouting Report by BadgerNation

Pros: Quick, tall, athletic defensive end prospect. Very disruptive on passing situations, always seems around the ball on running plays. Can play a 4-3 end in a cover-2 defense, or a 3-4 edge rusher. Team leader and positive influence.

Cons: Slightly undersized, needs to bulk up. He will need to work on technique and upper-body strength to face elite NFL tackles.

Overall: A great pass-rusher and solid hybrid DE/LB prospect. A hard worker and a team leader.

hey cal i like your thinking let'S DRAFT A LEFT TACKLE IN ALL SEVEN ROUNDS THAT WOULD MAKE IT ALL WONDERFUL................YOU BEING A GENIUS ON FOOTBALL SHOULD AGREE LEFT TACKLES ARE THE KEY TO WINNING

Rich - Malcolm Jenkins is a cb. He plays for Ohio State. That's a state university that is in Columbus, Ohio.

A cornerback is not a left tackle.

Ohio is the state east of Indiana, west of New York and PA, well, and WV.

Ohio is the state north of Kentucky and WV, and south of Lake Erie, except for part

in the northwest corner, that's south of Michigan.

A right tackle is not a left tackle. A right tackle plays on the opposite end.

Don't keep being confused on that, despite the fact that the left tackle also

plays on the opposite end from the right tackle.

And a tackle is not fishing gear. It's a position on the offensive line in football.

Unless you're fishing.

I hope I helped you get grip on things, Rich. @@

Guest Aloysius

When did nfldraftdog become everyone's favorite draft site?

Their prospect summaries aren't very helpful, and their latest mock is pretty terrible.

I wouldn't base my round projections off of that mock.

Yeah, Al, a good number of their "picks" don't seem to make sense to me. Especially for the Browns.

You get a better idea bigtime by reading up on a lot of mocks.

Francies was at Oregon State for a couple years but was kicked off the team by coach Mike Riley. He had a run-in with the law, something involving possession of a hand gun.

Seriously how can 5 of your top 7 be either Ohio State players or Clay Mathews' son?

BTW Clay Mathews has another son who plays for the oregon quacks.

We dont even know what the new regime (if theres gonna be a new regime)will want the team to look like so its hard to call until lerner moves his soccer loving ass and gets something done..

As for the current regime if they stay they just keep the team basicly the same and trade our drafts for more worthless leftovers...and hope against all odds they can get another rogers..

Okay, Lum. I'll answer your question.

You see, the names mentioned are not in order, but they are listed in groups per draft round.

Inadvertently, Clay Mathews just happened to be second on the list.

Clay Mathews is listed on http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/...0_prospects.htm

as being the #55 of the top one hundred players.

That doesn't mean he's a lock for the 2nd round, but some mocks have him there.

Besides, I SAID he was the sentimental favorite.

And, the Ohio State players are bigtime mentioned in the top 10/15 picks in the first round in a ton of mocks.

Guest Aloysius
Francies was at Oregon State for a couple years but was kicked off the team by coach Mike Riley. He had a run-in with the law, something involving possession of a hand gun.

Thanks for the info, Lum.

Any thoughts on Keenan Lewis? If we go CB in Round 2, he could possibly be one of our targets.

I'm particularly interested in how well he's been tackling this year. Has he been playing well in run support?

cmac & the ghost of ONB, feel free to respond as well.

Didn't read the thread, much, BigBrownsFan, right?

Here: Laurinaitis - "I think Stan is right. After this past year, he isn't an A.J. Hawk."

That's what I said to Stan.

Stan originally said Laurinaitis should have come out last year, and that he'd be surprised if he went in the first round...

, T agreed. Nobody said they wanted Laurinaitis.

There are no colored blinders.

He is listed high, surprising very, very high.

He's a lb. But I didn't list Curry because he is said in some circles to be

souring toward the top of the list.

Laurinitis is a good player. But not high in the first round I don't think.

That's why I said I'd take Malcolm. Malcolm isn't Laurinitis.

geez. BTW, I have read that Maualuga is a terrific talent, but

not very vocal. Not a leader. I prefer a vocal leader.

Offhand, he sounds like a super lb, who would yank off his helmet at the end of a game and let the other team have time to

win with a field goal.... and he's only 6'2". I like a taller middle lb.

He's also tight-hipped...

Rey Maualuga, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

Middle Linebacker

6”2’ / 260 lbs.

Senior

Strengths: Hard hitter, sheds blocks well, good instincts

Weakness: not vocal, tight hipped, temperamental

By: John L. Clarke

As you can see from the accolades below (and the numerous videos on YouTube) Rey Maualuga is a terror at the middle linebacker spot. He reminds me of another MLB named Ray (although obviously spelled differently), as in Ray Lewis. Although Lewis was much more of a vocal leader and all around a better athlete, Maualuga has that rare ability to dissect plays within seconds and deliver jarring hits.

Maualuga would probably have been the 1st MLB/ILB taken in the 2008 NFL Draft, most likely supplanting Jerod Mayo, whom was selected with the 10th pick. Although Mayo is more of an athlete and a more vocal leader, he does not have Maualuga instincts…something that you cannot teach. Durability is also something that separate Maualuga from other hard hitting linebackers. Deciding to stay for his senior year will more than likely improve his draft stock, similar to ex-teammate Keith Rivers. Although he is a machine, learning how to deal with the media (more important than you think) and improve his overall athleticism (i.e. more interceptions) is something that is better practiced in college than in the pros.

He reminds me of another Trojan linebacker, whom also wore #58, Lofa Tatupu in a lot of ways. Both are hard hitting, instinctive middle linebackers that offenses game plan around and running backs run away from. Can Maualuga become another former Trojan that makes an impact? I think so.

He had small off the field incidents that I do not think will affect him in the long run. He also seemed to take steps every season and is becoming more mature as he grows into a dominating presence in the middle. If he can control his emotions, without losing his ferocity and get better in man to man coverage, he is going to making many trips to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii…a place he

Sure, let's go draft every Ohio State Suckeye we can get.

Take off the colored blinders, please..... Laurinitis sucks. He wont do anything in the NFL, mark it down.

Give me Spikes or Maualuga or over that overhyped machine.

I agree. The Bucknuts are WAY overrated.

Mark Parson from Ohio would be a great choice for the Browns. I go to Ohio and have been able to see him play. He's the real deal IMO. He would be a solid 3rd round+ pick.

I also think Maualuga would be the spark we need on D.

Guest Aloysius

Cal, BigBrownsFan was confused because you copy & pasted from nfldraftdog without making clear where the info was coming from.

And you should really stop quoting this stuff. Not to be a dick, but I don't get where this guy's coming from.

Comparing Rey Rey to Lofa Tatupu? Rey's 6'2", 260; Lofa's under 6' and maybe 240 soaking wet. Also, Rey's an incredible athlete with possible coachability issues, while Lofa gets the most of out of his marginal athleticism (4.83 40) through film study and instincts.

And "whom was selected with the 10th pick" doesn't sound right to me. I'll send it up to Dennis for booth review.

Any thoughts on Keenan Lewis? If we go CB in Round 2, he could possibly be one of our targets.

Both of Oregon State's corners are seniors and both are 4 year starters. I didn't realize one was a prospect and one wasn't. Both are pretty good but Lewis has stayed healthier. I don't recall many tackles of RBs.

Here is an article about them from the school newspaper.

http://media.barometer.orst.edu/media/stor...o-3528521.shtml

Guest Aloysius

Thanks, Lums. Those two corners have a serious bromance going on.

0tr9p267.jpg

The guys at nfldraftscout compare Lewis to Corey Webster (Giants) and project that he'll be selected in Round 2.

They compare Hughes to Torrie Cox (Tampa), and project that he'll be taken in the Round 5-6 range.

(Webster is a tall starting-caliber corner, whereas Cox is primarily a special teams guy)

Guest Aloysius

The AP released their All ACC team yesterday.

Their first team defense is pretty impressive. Other than Tauiliili and Goddard, they're all starting-caliber guys who could be on our target list in this year's draft:

DE: Everette Brown, Florida State - athletic DE-OLB prospect; a stronger version of Kam Wimbley. With a good Combine workout, he could surge up draft boards.

DT: B.J. Raji, Boston College - big NT who's been compared to Casey Hampton. Unless past character issues kill his stock, he should be taken in Round 1.

DT: Vance Walker, Georgia Tech - solid 3-4 DE prospect; nfldraftscout projects him to be a 5th Round pick, but I think he'll go higher than that.

DE: Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech - gifted athlete who hasn't yet put it all together. May be too tall (listed at 6'7") to play 3-4 OLB, but he could be an interesting prospect if he slides to Round 2.

LB: Mark Herzlich, Boston College - announced that he won't be declaring for the draft. If he changes his mind, he'll be one of the top 3-4 OLB prospects.

LB: Michael Tauiliili, Duke

LB: Aaron Curry, Wake Forest - I kinda like this player...

CB: Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest - ball-hawk with an elite CB's confidence. He also brings value as a returner, but I'm concerned about his size (5'9", 190). If those size concerns drop him to Round 2, he'd be a solid value pick.

CB: Victor Harris, Virginia Tech - tough, physical CB, but his long-speed (4.56 40) leaves much to be desired. May be best off in a Tampa 2 system.

S: Trimane Goddard, North Carolina (105)

S: Michael Hamlin, Clemson - big safety (6'3", 206) with some durability and long-speed concerns. nfldraftscout compares him to Brodney Pool & projects he'll be a 3rd Round pick.

I didn't know Raji had any character issues...

but Vance Walker is a beast, and I think he will go in the 2nd/3rd round.

Everette Brown is outstanding, but he hasn't decided to enter the NFL draft yet....

(he allegedly runs a 4.5??? He may work his way up into the first round... here's some info on him:

Will FSU defensive end Everette Brown stay or will he go?

Talk surrounds Brown about entering NFL Draft

By Corey Clark

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

He says he hasn't thought about it. That he's been so focused on his junior season that he hasn't even contemplated whether he'll have a senior one.

But others have done it for him.

"It's brought to my attention all the time," said Florida State defensive end Everette Brown with a smile. "I get the fan mail and e-mails. Some of my teammates bring it to my attention, some of my family members. I just tell them, 'That's what it says on paper today. But it might say something totally different tomorrow.'"

Or it might not.

Almost all of the mock drafts that matter have Brown going in the first round of April's NFL Draft.

It seems like every week he has three or more sacks — and that's been three games out of the last five — his name continues to rise up the charts.

So much so that it would surprise no one if Saturday's game against Florida was his last one in Doak Campbell Stadium.

"When the time comes, the decision will be put on the table," said Brown, who will graduate in December with a degree in sociology. "As of right now, I'm just really focusing on the team and what's at stake. We have a great opportunity to finish strong here at the end of the season."

The transformation of the North Carolina native into a possible first-round NFL draft pick started his junior year of high school. After fancying himself a basketball star for most of his life, the 6-foot-4 Brown realized during his third year at Beddingfield High that his future was brighter in that other sport.

So the guy who once scored 32 points in a high school basketball game started focusing more on his football possibilities.

It was a good choice.

While recording 120 tackles and 16 sacks his last season at Beddingfield, he was recruited by many of the top programs in the country before signing with Florida State.

Though he showed immense potential almost immediately, Brown redshirted his first year on campus. Then he had productive — but not incredible — freshman and sophomore seasons for the Seminoles, totaling 9½ sacks combined his first two years.

Then came 2008.

Brown, who leads the nation in tackles-for-loss with 20½ and is second in the nation in sacks with 12½, has been practically unblockable all season.

Just ask his teammate, All-American guard candidate Rodney Hudson, who was moved to tackle for a short time in the spring and went up against Brown every day in practice.

"He's quick and strong," Hudson said. "He's not just a speed rusher. He'll beat you inside, too . . . and when you expect a bull rush, then he spins and you're like, 'Oh, where'd he go?' And he's gone."

Just ask another teammate, fellow defensive end Neefy Moffett, who studies Brown's moves every week on film and in practice.

"I feel he's the best defensive end in the country," Moffett said. "He's that mismatch on the field. Wherever he plays - whether he's on the end, I honestly believe he could go play a little corner — he just has everything you need in a football player."

Just ask his defensive coordinator, Mickey Andrews, who said Brown might be having one of the best seasons by a defensive end in the history of the program.

"He has a great burst," Andrews said. "He gets off the ball really well. He gets a good jump. Running a 4.5 (40-yard dash) doesn't hurt him. We have backs who don't do that — defensive backs . . . He got stronger this summer, really worked on his strength, and I think you see a more determined player right now than you did last year, too. That is a very strong compliment for him."

The former basketball player now bench-presses 500 pounds, which means he now has numerous ways to make an offensive lineman look silly. He can speed rush past them, he can bull-rush them into the quarterback, or he could use a lightning-quick spin move that leaves them blocking air.

"On the basketball court, I was a big spinner," Brown said. "I used to think I was Magic Johnson."

Saturday might be the last time Florida State fans see that magical spin move at Doak Campbell Stadium. But with his remarkable junior season, Everette Brown has already left a legacy in Tallahassee. No matter how many more games he plays for the Seminoles.

"When I arrived here, I wanted to be great," he said. "I looked at the guys, the consensus All-Americans on the wall in the locker room; I just looked at all the history that was around here. . .. In coming here, that was the same kind of success and impact that I wanted to have."

What Can Brown Do For You?

Everette Brown (Al Messerschmidt/Getty) By Chris Steuber

Scout.com NFL Draft Analyst

Posted Nov 26, 2008

After leading Florida State in sacks as a sophomore last season, Everette Brown had some lofty expectations to live up to entering the 2008 season. Brown got off to a slow start, and some had written him off. But over the last month, he's been the most feared defender in the nation. Scout.com's Chris Steuber profiles Brown and fills you in on the impact he can have at the next level.

Don’t blink, because it will be over before it begins. His first step should be illegal; it isn’t fair to a 300-plus pound offensive tackle, who realizes he has no chance of defending against the speed, strength and relentlessness, as well as the devastating spin move the defender possesses.

The quarterback’s eyes widen and pan to the left. He knows that the security he needs is lacking, and he is about three seconds away from being pummeled into the ground. In a final attempt to motivate the left side of the line, he yells, “Ninety nine, ninety nine… set, go.”

Over the last five weeks, the fear has heightened, and the best pass rushing defensive end in college football, Florida State’s Everette Brown, has delivered. In games against Virginia Tech, Clemson and Maryland, the 6-foot-4, 252-pound Brown amassed 15 tackles, 11.5 for a loss and 9.5 sacks.

A major reason for the turn around is that Brown is capitalizing on the one-on-one matchups he’s seen recently. Brown struggled at the beginning of the year, as he was being double teamed and chipped when he came off the line. In recent weeks, teams have been challenging Brown and singling him up more often off the edge, and he’s been making them regret their decision.

Prior to this recent statistical avalanche, Brown only managed 11 tackles, seven for a loss and three sacks in the Seminoles first six games. With one game remaining against rival Florida on Saturday, Brown has 33 tackles, 20.5 for a loss and 12.5 sacks.

Last year, Brown started eight games at left defensive end and one game at right defensive end and collected a team-high 6.5 sacks. He also finished second on the team with 11.5 tackles for a loss (Geno Hayes finished first with 17.5). He was officially moved to the right side before the 2008 season.

After a promising sophomore season, Brown got off to a slow start as a junior, but is finishing strong.

Elsa/Getty

Brown is an athletic, dynamic rush end who plays with a high motor and has tremendous quickness. He has an elite first step and a few signature moves that allow him to get up field. He’s deceptively strong, featuring a 480-pound bench press, and uses quickness and strength to his advantage. He uses his hands effectively, demonstrates good balance and coordination, and transitions well with the action. He’s relentless and is a terror in the backfield. He’s a high character guy with a no-nonsense attitude and is a tremendous leader.

As dominating as Brown can be; he’s a streaky performer who will disappear for a game and re-emerge the next week. He has to adjust to double teams and play to his strengths. He has to be more effective defending the run and shed blocks consistently. He has the ability to be a special talent at the next level, but it will be up to him to work at his craft and become a better all around player.

A month ago, the thought of Brown leaving Florida State and being tempted by NFL millions was a 50-50 proposition. Not because he wanted to stay another year to earn his degree; he will graduate in December, but his production didn’t live up to the hype through the first half of the season, and he was overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage. But after the month he’s put together and the progress he’s made, Brown is ready for the next level and will ultimately beat out Texas’ Brian Orakpo and Georgia Tech’s Michael Johnson for the right to be the first defensive end selected in the 2009 NFL Draft.

A member of the Pro Football Writers of America and the Football Writers Association of America, Chris Steuber has provided his analysis of the NFL and NFL Draft prospects on the web and on the radio since 1999. Steuber’s features are published across the Scout.com network and on FoxSports.com. If you wish to contact Chris Steuber, email him at: csteuber@scout.com.

BTW, Al, why list Michael Johnson like he's going to be one of the top all around lb's ? That's bs:

He doesn't have the intensity or the strength to be a Cleveland Brown. After all these years, the last thing

the Browns need is a lb who plays when $$$$ is on the line, and underachieves like crazy.

Here's more on him: (maybe you'd like to tell us he plays like a mad dog in a meat market?)

Michael Johnson, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

Defensive End

6' 6" 258 lbs.

Georgia Tech

Senior

Strengths: Athleticism, explosiveness, Burst

Weakness: Consistency, durability, run support

Scouting report by Daryl Breault

Date: 10 November 2009

Michael Johnson is nearly the complete package when looking for a pass rusher. His explosion and burst is arguably the best in college football. He has great size and can add a few more pounds without it affecting his speed. He has a higher ceiling then any other senior DE and maybe more so than some of the top rated juniors. He can be an absolute terror for opposing tackles. He may have been a third round pick last year if he had come out. So why do I think Michael Johnson will never amount to anything?

Coming into 2008 Johnson had started exactly one career game and had only 10 sacks. He has been nothing more than a pass rushing specialist, and an inconsistent one at that. Pass rush specialists are 4th round picks not potential 1st round picks and definitely not the #2 ranked senior DE in the country. A first round label on him is a joke and a bad one.

Johnson is finally putting some of his talent together and having a very good season. He’s starting, finally, and has 11 TFL and 5 sacks so far. Things are coming together for him at the opportune time. Where was he for the first three years of his college career though? With his blend of size, speed and athleticism, Johnson should have been one of the most dominating defenders in the country, and yet he wasn’t even the best defender on his own team. Is all that potential really worth a 1st round pick?

It seems to me Johnson is putting it together at the opportune time, just in time to get a big fat NFL contract. Every year there are pros and college players alike who can see dollar signs and suddenly their game goes to a new level. Then they get paid and they crash. It happens every year, and every time we roll out the “he played for a new contract” spiel as a warning sign and yet it happens over and over again. The NFL will continue to take chances on the players with immense potential and once in a while it works, but the majority of the time it fails miserably.

Johnson may very well just be a late bloomer and this year is a sign of greater things to come but it’s tough to overlook three years of unmotivated play for one decent season of play. It’s more likely that Johnson is playing for that big contract. I would not spend anything higher than a 3rd rounder on him.

It goes without question that Johnson is one of the most athletically gifted college players in quite some time. Few players can equal his astounding burst off the ball and his ability to hit with force and cause fumbles. He projects as a hybrid end/LB type with the potential to be dominating at either. He has long arms to keep defenders at bay, changes directions effortlessly and closes faster than anyone I’ve ever seen.

At his size, his lack of strength is worrisome. He’s tall and lanky and at 6’ 6”, OT will find it easy to get under his shoulder pads if they get there hands on him. His long arms help, but he doesn’t have the strength to fight off blocks and once someone get’s their hands on him, he’s usually done. His height will help him bat down a lot of balls. It’s tough to project him as anything more than a pass rush specialist until he adds some serious muscle and learns some new tricks. He is so explosive that he is out of the play before he has a time to react to the ball. He has to learn when to use his speed and when to hold his gap, backs have far too much success running in his direction, a major reason he has not been a regular starter before this year.

He is improving in some aspects of his game, namely against the run, but this year will not be enough for me to put him in the first two rounds. So far he is all potential and spending a 1st round pick is too great a gamble to see if he will ever reach it. There’s too many warning signs telling me that the light came on as soon as those dollar signs got closer to reality and that it might not stay on afterwards. He has had injury problems in the past, but he has shown the mental toughness to play through his numerous injuries this year, if he stays healthy he is one of those guys that could end up as a much better pro than a college player.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, the story about Brown running a 4.5 40 got mentioned here.

Raji didn't play last year due to academic issues. Not sure if that qualifies as a full-blown character issue, but it certainly raises a red flag.

Guest Aloysius
BTW, Al, why list Michael Johnson like he's going to be one of the top all around lb's ? That's bs:

He doesn't have the intensity or the strength to be a Cleveland Brown. After all these years, the last thing

the Browns need is a lb who plays when $$$$ is on the line, and underachieves like crazy.

Here's what I actually wrote:

DE: Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech - gifted athlete who hasn't yet put it all together. May be too tall (listed at 6'7") to play 3-4 OLB, but he could be an interesting prospect if he slides to Round 2.

I mentioned him because he was named first-team all-ACC, not because I'm particularly enamored with his play.

At this point, he's a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 defense, and he may be too tall to play linebacker. Still, he's a physical freak who may become a great player with a couple years of good coaching.

2719764045_a0bb1c3062.jpg

He wouldn't be my top choice in Round Two, but he'd be part of the conversation. In saying that, I'm disagreeing with the many mocks that have him being taken in the Top 15-20 picks.

So I don't get where I said anything close to what you said I did.

makes me wonder how many workout warriors actually make it in the league. i'm guessing very few: vernon davis is nowhere near the player he should be, mike mamula was too often injured, vernon gholston hasn't even gotten on the field (though he's still a rook).

but johnson makes me nervous nonetheless.

one thing i don't get is why 6'7" would preclude him from being an OLB. would it make it too easy for people to block him by getting lower than he can? and, if so, wouldn't that also make it really hard for him to play DE, too?

Guest Aloysius

That's part of it.

Also, it's very hard for a guy that tall to drop back into coverage and move laterally across the field.

It's kind of like how it's very rare that you get a CB who's 6'2"-6'3"; at a certain point, the advantages of being taller are outweighed by the decrease in backpedal ability.

And though I'm sure that there are guys capable of doing it, the inter-sport division of labor probably has those guys playing basketball instead. If you have a guy who's 6'7" and is athletic enough to drop into coverage, he's also athletic enough to be a solid small forward.

Anyways, we should probably wait until draft workouts & the Combine to judge Johnson. When Mathias Kiwanuka was at BC, he was listed as being over 6'7", yet he measured slightly under 6'6" at the Combine. And I'm sure many of us would be comfortable having him man one of our OLB spots.

More importantly, the workouts will indicate whether he's capable of playing LB. Last year, Derrick Harvey looked good in LB drills, which played a role in the Jags trading all the way up to pick #8 to get him. Not because they wanted him to play 3-4 OLB, but because his value across the league surged once he became valuable to 3-4 teams.

Archived