THE BROWNS BOARD

"Elevating the Dialogue"

Mr. T

THE POLITICS OF BLACKNESS: House negro vs. field negro – has everybody lost their minds?

So Al-Qaeda calls Barack Obama a “house negro” and now the debate between so-called “house Negroes” and “field negroes” is in full force.

Ayman al-Zawahri, Al-Qaeda’s No. 2 leader, insulted Obama on the Internet, saying he was “the direct opposite of honorable black Americans like Malcolm X,’’ according to The Associated Press.

The story quoted Al-Zawahri as calling Obama “abeed al-beit,” literally translated into “house slaves,” or, loosely, “house negroes.”

The story also said Al-Zawahri’s message included “old footage of speeches by Malcolm X in which he explains … saying black slaves who worked in their white masters’ house were more servile than those who worked in the fields… (also) using the term to criticize black leaders he accused of not standing up to whites.”

Now mind you, The Associated Press also quotes Al-Zawahri as saying, “America has put on a new face, but its heart full of hate, mind drowning in greed, and spirit which spreads evil, murder, repression and despotism continue to be the same as always ... Be aware that the dogs of Afghanistan have found the flesh of your soldiers to be delicious, so send thousands after thousands to them.”

Al-Zawahri also warned that Obama was “facing a Jihadi (holy war) awakening and renaissance which is shaking the pillars of the entire Islamic world; and this is the fact which you and your government and country refuse to recognize and pretend not to see.”

One would think that these strong words from a terrorist would elicit strong reactions from our government leaders as veiled threats. But nooooo!

The words that have caused an uproar were “house negro.”

This terrorist also called former and present Secretaries of State Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice “house Negroes,” but it was only when he referred to Obama that there was a problem.

It was alright to insult Powell, Rice and other prominent black Republicans, including me - but not Obama?

We’ve all heard the insults from Harry Belafonte and even ordinary black folk.

When asked in 2007 about Rice and Powell, the Rev. Al Sharpton sarcastically left no doubt that he considered them “house negroes” and himself a “field negro.” But now he is insulted that someone would have the unmitigated gall to make such disparaging remarks about Obama, calling them racists during an interview on “The O’Reilly Factor.”

Oh, so now you’re upset? Hugo Chavez can call President Bush “El Diablo,” but Al-Qaeda cannot call President-elect Obama a “house negro”?

My, my, my, what a difference a day makes. One day, it’s alright to insult the Republican president and his black Republicans. But after Nov. 8, nobody can insult the new president-elect.

Keith Boykin, editor of The Daily Voice, a CNBC contributor and BET political commentator, wrote in www.thedailyvoice.com “Oh no he didn’t.”

One blogger writes on www.narbosa.com “...now you insulted Black Jesus, you better be ready to throw down!”

The problem I have is who gets to decide when an insult is not an insult? Why is it OK to call Alan Keyes, Michael Steele or any other accomplished,

intelligent, articulate black Republicans “house negro” and not Obama or black Democrats?

Keith Boykin quotes Malcolm as saying “Back during slavery … there were two kinds of negroes…when the field negroes got too much out of line, (the house negro) held them back in check…he lived better than the field negro…ate the same food as master ate…wore his same clothes…talked just like his master...”

Did anybody ask Malcolm what he thought after he visited Mecca, when his other beliefs changed?

Those who play the house vs. field game seem to think house slaves didn’t suffer, weren’t talked down to, beaten, raped. Wonder how all those massa/slave babies were conceived? I’m sure massa wined and dined his slave before he impregnated her against her consent.

Frankly, I’m sick of this idiotic debate. A slave was a slave was a slave. And those who proudly call themselves “field Negroes” while they insult those of us they call “house Negroes” need to quit smoking those funny leaves they planted in the field. All it did was burn their brains.

Barbara Howard is president of Barbara Howard & Associates and the Florida state chair for C.O.R.E. (the Congress of Racial Equality).

That's an excellent letter. Partisanship has become the corruption of value systems.

Some on both sides will see ONLY what they want to see, and will be enraged

at those who see otherwise.

Mostly, I think, because it shows them to be hypocrites. And,

I apply my sentiment to both sides, to be fair.

Except around here.... ROF,L.

Archived