THE BROWNS BOARD

My few notes from the game.

Fooleeze

I have a few thoughts & issues with the game. . .

#1. . . we didn't see Harrison until a drive in the 2nd quarter, then didn't really see him after that again. Still this problem exists after all this time??? I just don't understand it. Play him more!

#2. . . I was watching on several plays where Lewis took the ball behind his lead-blocker (Vickers) then immediately when an opposite direction. On one specific play Vickers was blocking through a huge hole, and ended up about 10 yards down the field (through a hole on the left side), and Lewis was stopped for 1-2 yard gain through a non-hole on the right side. I saw it several times, Lewis is not following his lead blockers. Not sure what the deal is with that.

#3. . . Well, we may have lost DA for the season, and I know some people are really down on Dorsey, but he's a smart QB with a decent arm, I think he's going to be fine as a backup. He won't light the world on fire, but I think he'll do well enough.

#4. . . not sure if anyone else noticed, but after McDonald's interception, he jogged all the way down to the end-zone and handed the ball to a kid. It was a specific kid that he had pointed out, so I'm not sure what that was all about, but it was nice.

#5. . . Lost DA for the season, but I think we may have lost Shaun Rogers for the season, too. Not due to Injury. . . after the game ended, Rogers was on the field, took his helmet off, and threw it down the field, and walked off. I think his frustration is at its max, and I think that's bad news with him (just ask the Lions what happens when he gets frustrated).

With Anderson and Quinn out for the season, we won't win another game. No chance in hell of Dorsey beating any of these teams left on our schedule. Look at who we have left.....We gonna go on the road with our 3rd string QB who hasn't played any meaningful regular season minutes in how long and beat the Titans? NFW..How about the Eagles on MNF....as bad as they are...Dorsey isn't beating them either. The only chance we have is against Cincy and I don't think we beat them with Dorsey and Pittsburgh beats the shit out of us the last week of the season to end this misery. 4 and 12...where does that get us in the draft??

Guest Aloysius
#5. . . Lost DA for the season, but I think we may have lost Shaun Rogers for the season, too. Not due to Injury. . . after the game ended, Rogers was on the field, took his helmet off, and threw it down the field, and walked off. I think his frustration is at its max, and I think that's bad news with him (just ask the Lions what happens when he gets frustrated).

Shit.

Though the season's already over, you worry about that attitude carrying over into the offseason & next year, especially since we'll soon be firing the first NFL coach that Rogers played hard for.

One of the most important qualities we need in our next HC is a guy who can manage Big Baby. I'm worried that a guy like Cowher will just piss him off.

Here is my take on the game:

The Browns sucked and make the Tennessee Titans look like Don Coryell's high-flying San Diego teams.

Can't run and can't throw and can't catch.

Where is the coaching. Where is the will to win?

Dare I say that I wish the Browns never moved and today's Ravens still played in Cleveland?

In the middle of the week I said on here that because Lewis had a sit down with Chud that he would be featured and Harrison would be forgotten. What was Lewis 24 carries for 77 yards. After about 10 carries I think they knew what to expect.

I'm not really worried about Rogers and can understand his frustration because he played his heart out. What bothers me is can you remember hearing Shaun Smith or Davis's name called all day. With a 3-4 defense, the ILB should really stand out. He is like a ghost. Why not give Bell some reps and see what he can do.

But, the defense played a very respectful game. The offense totally sucked. The game plan sucked and I really hope that is the last I see Anderson in a Browns uniform. Even the anouncers commented on him not even looking where Stallworth was on the field. Instead, he just tries to force it into Edwards. The one time that he did throw deep to Stallworth, he was open by 5 yards for a TD and Anderson threw out of bounds. Blame the wind, I guess.

By the way Shaffer sucks and is a pussy.

I'm not really worried about Rogers and can understand his frustration because he played his heart out. What bothers me is can you remember hearing Shaun Smith or Davis's name called all day. With a 3-4 defense, the ILB should really stand out. He is like a ghost. Why not give Bell some reps and see what he can do..

Disagree on Rogers. I hope he can keep his head in it. Or he just "played" his last game of the season.

On our LB's: DQ notched about 45 tackles it seemed like. Davis was occupying blockers which allows DQ to make the tackle. The difference between our 3-4 & a good 3-4 is that the ILB who is getting the primary blockers can shed them and make the tackle.

Wimbley had decent game. So did Hall (in his limited appearances). I'd love to see Bell & Orr get some PT before the season is out. Both in the middle. Davis is just not cutting it.

Guest ATENEARS
I have a few thoughts & issues with the game. . .

#1. . . we didn't see Harrison until a drive in the 2nd quarter, then didn't really see him after that again. Still this problem exists after all this time??? I just don't understand it. Play him more!

#2. . . I was watching on several plays where Lewis took the ball behind his lead-blocker (Vickers) then immediately when an opposite direction. On one specific play Vickers was blocking through a huge hole, and ended up about 10 yards down the field (through a hole on the left side), and Lewis was stopped for 1-2 yard gain through a non-hole on the right side. I saw it several times, Lewis is not following his lead blockers. Not sure what the deal is with that.

Great topic. I have the perfect seats for seeing most of these holes heading toward the West endzone. You described it well (of not following Vickers/blocks). I was thinking that Harrison may have taken a couple of them holes to the house. Probably the biggest holes our O-line have cleared, and Jamal still didn't put up anything big.

Jason Wright hit the hole a couple of times and had good carries.

I'll probably attend the last Home game, but they've lost me too.

Can I add that Chud doesn't impress me at all with his play calling? He actually got lucky today that we didn't rack up 8 stratght 3-and-outs. The O-line had good run blocking, and it was the only thing that kept us in that game.

Defense my ass, that was the best we controlled the time of possesion ... EVER.

Defense my ass, that was the best we controlled the time of possesion ... EVER.

Well..it's clear that was the goal from the beginning of the game. We intended to limit the posessions and make the game short. The defense did enough to win and once again the offense couldn't take advantage of opportunities, just like last week and just like numerous other times this season. Of course we've had games like the Denver game where we scored a boat load of points and the defense played like shit so who knows with this team.

I'm concerned about Rogers too, along with others who have played hard & shown pride all season. I have been saying that allowing RAC to hang on until season's end will result in lost fans, player's saying "to HELL with this", & even more disgruntled players speaking out. I don't care if the water boy has to coach out the season, if we allow RAC to finish it, there may be irreparable damage done. I have never seen a team or organization in more confusion & turmoil than this one.

I think Rogers would play hard for a tough coach...the guy just wants to WIN...he obviously isn't playing like a loser, but management & ownership have to show him & our entire team that the Brown's hierarchy WANTS a winner....nothing less.

Mike

To address your points directly since they were all good ones:

1. Harrison needs to start and get 20 touches a game. That would almost guarantee a couple of TDs per game for our offense. Needless to say, Romeo is against scoring and so is Chud. F--king idiots all the way around, but we knew that.

2. Lewis never follows the fullback. Every time I see him running behind the fullback I say "Oh wow look he's running behind the fullback" and sure enough he will fork away from the FB right into a wall about 2-3 yards past the line of scrimmage instead of keeping on going behind him. He is obviously too proud to get yardage with someone's help (sigh).

3. I'd rather see Cribbs at QB than Dorsey at this point. Dorsey's career numbers are putrid. I guess we can always pray but it's kind of hopeless at this point. At least maybe they'll call some screen plays to Harrison for him.

5. Hey I'm sure the only reason he's been this calm this long is because Detroit still hasn't won a game, lol. Maybe he can sit on Romeo and suffocate him accidentally or something.

I think we should really think about going with Cribbs at QB...kinda like what we did back in 99 or 2000 ( I can't remember which year) but we played the Eagles and basically ran the same as the "WildDawg" offense most of the game and almost pulled off a huge upset. Why not try that next weekend as opposed to getting Dorsey killed by the Titans defense.

I think we should really think about going with Cribbs at QB...kinda like what we did back in 99 or 2000 ( I can't remember which year) but we played the Eagles and basically ran the same as the "WildDawg" offense most of the game and almost pulled off a huge upset. Why not try that next weekend as opposed to getting Dorsey killed by the Titans defense.

Nothing against Dorsey, but I'd rather see him get killed by the Titans defense than our Pro-Bowl KR/PR and leading special teams tackler.

I agree..

The point is that I don't think Cribbs will get killed. Dorsey is likely to get killed next weekend. Has any team ever lost 3 QB's on 3 straight Sundays?

Who is out there that we sign this week that will end up being our starter the next week in Philly?

Guest ATENEARS
I agree..

The point is that I don't think Cribbs will get killed. Dorsey is likely to get killed next weekend. Has any team ever lost 3 QB's on 3 straight Sundays?

Who is out there that we sign this week that will end up being our starter the next week in Philly?

Tim Couch

could anyone blame rogers for quitting? when the defense plays well and gives their all (one of the few times they actually do so this season) and the offense scores six points and gives a team the game-winning touchdown, why should he be anything but furious?

at least we'll have better draft position with him taking the last four games.

i don't think we'll do any irreparable damage by letting rac coach the last four games. bringing in a new coach is a new beginning, especially if we hire a new GM to go along with him.

lewis is done. he's horrible. can't gain yards for shit. looks like shaun alexander. enough with him, already.

i don't know if chud is really that bad; i just think the offense isn't executing what he calls. it's hard to tell when you've got lewis not following blockers how the run game should look.

as for a QB, we're screwed. if dorsey goes down, we'd be better off signing someone who wasn't drafted than any of the rejects that are out there right now. tim rattay? tim hasslebeck? shoot me.

Chud is to conservative and after missing first downs because he is to conservative he panics and trys to air it out he sucks and any coaching staff that leaves players on the field that shouldnt be there and are hurting the team suck as well this crew lacks the get it done or get off the field mentality it takes to win or build a solid team..

I know a lot of you guys like chud because he is a buckeye but he still sucks...the players dont like what he is calling either..

i don't know if chud is really that bad; i just think the offense isn't executing what he calls. it's hard to tell when you've got lewis not following blockers how the run game should look.

Just a point of clarification.....................Chud is responsible for designing offensive schemes - they are all of that - and also is responsible for overseeing the coaching and development of players.

He doesn't live in a vacuum. He is THE GUY on offense.

PS He doesn't impress me.

3. I'd rather see Cribbs at QB than Dorsey at this point. Dorsey's career numbers are putrid. I guess we can always pray but it's kind of hopeless at this point. At least maybe they'll call some screen plays to Harrison for him.

If Cribbs were in at QB he would likely have more interceptions than completions. Anybody who thinks Cribbs can play QB in the NFL is, like Anderson said, on crack.

Might as well have Donte Stallworth play QB.

lewis is done. he's horrible. can't gain yards for shit. looks like shaun alexander. enough with him, already.

I agree with you dude, he is totally killing us.

Look at all these teams having success with running backs who can stretch the field.

Name me one freakin runningback who is a number 1 RB who is a big lug and having a great season this year.

Don't say Lendale White, he's in a RBBC headed by a rookie speed demon RB.

All of the successful runningbacks are ones that can make people miss, not ones that can plow them over. 10 years of plowing has reduced Jamal to a slug.

@ chicopee: while chud designs the schemes, he's not the guy running the ball. if lewis runs like shit and doesn't go where he's supposed to, chud can't control that.

he may, however, be the guy keeping lewis in the game, and if he is, he sucks.

Guest ATENEARS

Which group of you guys ripped me a new a-hole about 6 weeks ago when I called out Jamal Lewis as being done?

After seeing some of the nice holes we opened up for him yesterday or the good lead blocks Vickers threw for nothing, I'm completely convinced that Lewis is washed-up. A decent NFL back would have put up 120 yesterday. Lewis in his heyday would have put up 160.

Lewis isn't washed up, but he has lost a few steps. He's still a powerful runner, and a leader on the offense.

Beanie Wells would be a nice complement to him, with his power AND excellent speed... for next year.

Guest ATENEARS
Beanie Wells would be a nice complement to him, with his power AND excellent speed... for next year.

Beanie gets nicked up too often. I question his durability. Love the kid, but I hate injuries.

i pretty much agree with inspecta. lewis could still help us if he weren't playing all the time, but it's having him out there every down that's killing us more than having him on the team.

as we've all said many times, it's just that our coaches don't want to be smart and use a RBBC like successful NFL teams do.

I agree with every sentiment on this board...

Play calling is to conservative..

Jamal is running like he is running into retirement. Running into walls of flesh instead of looking for holes.. Reminds me of that other running back. William Green... Never hit the line hard at all, and never seem to be the kind of back that could improvise...

Which we have seen Harrison do.

Harrison doesn't get enough time, but when he does, he get's yardage... Why is Jamal still on the field.

Dorsey might be ok. Anyone remember Steve Young.

Get the ball in Cribbs hands more...

Archived