THE BROWNS BOARD

Derek Anderson

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

This is not a thread for pissing on our starting QB, use the other couple hundred threads in-use on that subject.

What legit chance (if any) does this kid have at competing for the starting spot or even making a roster spot here next season?

I'd like to keep both DA & BQ, is that even a possiblity of happening?

We have so many problems, with Braylon Edwards being the poster-child, so just how much of a chance does DA have to get some looks from our organization and not just on the FA market?

What if players come out and rally around him and play hard? Will that be an endorsement for DA or Crennel?

I'd like to hear from DA fans only, or those that can reply with an open mind.

if you have something negative to say, stay out of this thread or we will be forced to make provisions to insure that you do. It has become very difficult to openly discuss favoring our starting QB here, and that needs to change.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he could come up with a 5 week stretch to rival his peak performance from last season, that would show alot. Especially since it would against much tougher competition: Colts, Titans, Eagles, Bengals, Steelers.

If he can pull that off his stock goes way up, both in Berea and around the league, which could only benefit us in the long run.

Doug

IMO I don't think DA wants to be in Cleveland next season. He went from the Pro Bowl to a second stringer in half a season, plus his head coach (for now) has already named an injured Quinn as the starter next year. So DA may as well use these last 4 games as an audition for a starting position on another team. Heck if he plays well and the Browns win 2 or 3 of those games he can have a pretty good swan song and walk out the door with his head up high.

I root for the Browns no matter who's starting at QB, RB, TE, etc., so I hope he plays well enough to win some games but I still think these will be the last 4 games that he wears a Browns uni.

Guest 88fingerslewy

I think what started this whole mess was DA's ability. Hear me out. If the team knew about his upside before the 2007 draft we wouldn't have drafted BQ. Savage still might've traded back into the 1st round but this time it would have been a top LB or DB. DA is still very green in my opinion. Sometimes getting to the next level is as simple as allowing yourself to do that.

Example if you play golf you'll get this. Do you remember trying to break 100 or 90 or 80. after 16 holes you're doing great, all of a sudden you shit the bed....AGAIN!!!! You get so mad at yourself you don't know whether to shit or go blind. The biggest problem with this is, it's all self-induced. He's got a calm demeanor, his team-mates like him; all he really needs to do is trust himself.

I love the Browns and I want nothing more than for them to win. DA's keeps his mouth shut, he's not controversial (in todays game is rare) and the one person who would love for DA to have a great finish to the season is DA himself. I wish him luck and come Sunday I'll be cheering for him.

He's got relatively no chance. He had 26 weeks to prove what he was, and he did just that. Although he gets a double standard from those DAfags who rip apart a WR for sucking but will never blame a QB for sucking, the front office sees him for what he is and it's going to take way too much to change that.

Guest ATENEARS
Although he gets a double standard from those DAfags who rip apart a WR for sucking but will never blame a QB for sucking, the front office sees him for what he is and it's going to take way too much to change that.

Just how many protesting threads have you put up about us releasing Sanders (again) this week? You guys keep telling us that benching BE isn't the same as benching DA for BQ because we have no one behind BE to replace him with. That would be a good point had our cast-offs not be lighting things up down in New Orleans right now and guys like Sanders never getting any opportunities. If I were Crennel, I'd put BE on the shelf for the remainder of the season and load up with practice squad WR's.

Couldn't get much worst than dropping home run balls repeatidly.

What's that about double standards? BQ got his chance, he didn't stay durable, not many QB's in this league do, it is part of the game and reason why we need two QB's, and the reason why you shouldn't bench the QB when healthy, when so many other aspects of the team are ill.

The simple fact is that if the team did not make the deal for Quinn, DA would be a god in this town. Pro-bowl QB's (i know- he was an alternate) don't come around here very often unless they are wearing a visitors uniform. The fact that the HC and his teammates love him and the fans don't is the weirdest thing that i've seen in all my years as a fan.

i cheered for Brady last week, and i'm cheering for DA this week.

BTW, did anyone notice that the best tackle by the Browns last week was by Quinn after his first interception? i'm thinking he can play Free Safety with that bad finger. The guy is a player. This coaching staff needs to get creative.

This is not a thread for pissing on our starting QB, use the other couple hundred threads in-use on that subject.

What legit chance (if any) does this kid have at competing for the starting spot or even making a roster spot here next season?

[/color]

Stan, if his AGENT wasn't overrating his skills off of a schedule rich in 4 win opponents - MORE people might like him back in a backup capacity. As a starting QB this year, whether we want to pin it all on Braylon Edwards or not, he's throwing screen passes for TDs to the opponent in tight ball games. No excuse. Count how many TDs that defense has scored on DA including the second matchup of 2007 and you'll find the following Ratbird defenders have woutscored our WRs:

Ed Reed once, Ray Lewis twice and T Suggs once.

In fact, if we counted how many of his INTs have gone for TDs in the last 2 years it slam dunks why we're not good enough for playoffs. Arizona scored on an INT and if they didn't would we have needed the jump ball out of bounds DA threw up as a Hail Mary while we threw up as a Hail No? Dude is dumb. Winslow would have WON position to his inside but I'm sure somebody is going to want to tell me the desert wind gusts took the ball.

I want a QB that can start cold and overcome a BAD beginning if necessary. When DA starts bad he finishes atrocious. Someone like John Elway became a Hall of Fame QB for his ability to overcome forgettable 58 minute periods in lieu of the big stage in the final 2 minutes. It's where legends are made or in our case, it's also where backups are born.

Think back to the REAL teams we played in 2007. I've shared the 2nd half possessions a few times vrs Pitt in the second matchup. Our offense didn't get a SINGLE first down following our first 7 possession changes. 1 of those was a 97 yard kickoff return for a TD by Cribbs so we can cut him a tiny break for that one. BUT, when I shared this, the first thing that caught my eye was our defense actually stopped Pitt's first possession and I think their second possession when our offense fumbled the ball back to them.

TIGHT ball games is all about the QB that makes more plays and/or less fatal mistakes. The BEST wail to bail out a 31st ranked defense when they've made the opponent punt isn't to go an entie half without a single first down. SOMETIMES your QB has to move the sticks with his brains or his feet so DA's choices are the single cell upstairs or the heavy size 15's he's been known to trip over.

When Sipe and Kosar played Pittsburgh, we never had to blame Kosar when Slaughter dropped a few passes because in OT he'd find Slaughter again and we'd score the game winning TD.

Last year when we played NE we ran our first drive to their 2 yard line and this set the tone of expectation from DA for the rest of the day. DA dropped back to pass and there were 7 defendres KNOWING were going to throw the ball for some STRANGE reason. In any event, the dline and 1 LBer came slanting toward DA's right arm and our strong side of the formation where we had Winslow (meaning we weren't going to block the edge). Less experienced QBs like Matt Cassel and Joe Flacco would have SEEN there's actually NO bodies to his left and it would have been easy to run it in. DA's not that smart, forced the throw, and it was predictably picked. Message to Browns' fans and teammates for the rest of the day - DA doesn't feel like he's worthy of the matchup with Brady so who's kidding who? We score there and we compete on a day where NE's offense didn't bring their A game.

I've seen Sipe AND Kosar overcome shakey starts, which left me confortable to call them OUR QB. DA is a doofus that has more Dilfer in him than we care to see again. If he was INDEED a starting QB in this league - more intelligent front offices would have him like say the Baltimore franchise he came from.

- Tom F. (Sorry man, I've had enough passing game indigestion to excuse a QB with a 40 somethign completion percentage. Braylon dropped 3-4 passes at Buffalo BUT it's NOT like our QB used up all his accurate throws on those 3-4 for the day)

Very small. He'll stick around only if he looks like he can handle it over the next 5 games. The football gods handed him ANOTHER opportunity. If he pisses this one away like the last two (last year and this year's first eight), I think he's headed for backup city full time. But, if he finds confident DA again and can balance his picks (they will come) with his TDs (they MUST come), he's at least back in the conversation.

I'd like to keep both DA & BQ, is that even a possiblity of happening?

Yes, but only if Quinn's finger is a question and/or our new coach isn't sold on Quinn. I could see a legit competition under either or both of those circumstances.

We have so many problems, with Braylon Edwards being the poster-child, so just how much of a chance does DA have to get some looks from our organization and not just on the FA market?

See first answer. All depends on him. But there's no doubt that there are no more excuses for his play. Put up or shut up time. Last chance.

What if players come out and rally around him and play hard? Will that be an endorsement for DA or Crennel?

This implies they HAVEN'T or DIDN'T already rally around him for the last 16 games. What the heck is different now? And even if it did happen, what kind of leader are they rallying around? One who gets it going only when the season is lost? If that's the case, they ALL should go and we really should start from scratch.

I'd like to hear from DA fans only, or those that can reply with an open mind.

I'm not a DA fan and I don't have an open mind towards him at all. But, as I've said countless times before, I'd LOVE for him to prove me wrong!

I honestly hope DA plays well for the rest of the season and its for reason only. so we can unload his ass for a better draft pick. Im not a BQ fag, but after a year and half its obvious DA is not the man for the job in Cleveland. I not saying that BQ is either but at least we havent really seen what he can do. Ive seen DA throw away games.

Guest ATENEARS

I don't understand Crennel coming out and stating that Brady Quinn is the starter next season. The kid played 3 games and not only went 1-2, but also really didn't do much but run a safe system into defeat.

I'm not bashing Quinn, I like the kid and want him on our team, I just don't understand eliminating the competition at this point. If you were going to keep this competition going for as long as it has, why end it before someone actually earns it?

Hell, just as last season, I favor bringing in another veteran to push these two youngsters. Dorsey isn't even an option no matter how bad these two play. Who's he really mentoring? He's a dead roster spot. Starting Josh Cribbs would put more asses in the seats.

I say keep the starting spot open through the first third of next season's training camp ... it can only increase both's value.

We played our card and we had no reason to, IMO. It's like getting all goo-goo eyed over Tim Couch all over again and not even considering HUGE options such as the Ditka deal. STFU, and let it play out.

It isn't like Anderson had a bad couple of weeks. We're talking about a season's worth of starts -- 16 -- with a passer rating of right at 70. That's worse than Frye. It's horrible.

I really don't get why benching him is so controversial. His time in the sun was relatively short.

This thread is supposed to be positive about DA.

I think he has a good arm and throws a nice pass.

I think he can get hot.

I think he aired it out pretty good last year through 9 games.

He's tall.

He seems to be a decent guy.

Guest ATENEARS

I know that it might not say a whole lot about the guy, but I like the fact that suits up every week and has only seen injury in the preseason.

I like that he has balls, and will throw deep and go for the big plays.

I like that he gets rid of the ball ... which has become a bit too quick without reading coverage, but he definately ain't Tim Couch or Frye and stand back there patting the ball and always be a second late delivering it.

I think the kid needs better coached, put in better schemes. I think this is the biggest fear I have with releasing him to a better format that will kill the league with him under center.

On two separate occasions, Brian Sipe threw SIX interceptions to the Steelers in a game.

So you like being winless against them instead. You're in love! Why do I feel like I'm arguing with Clay's Aiken?

Botom line: Sipe had 3 seasons in a row where he averaged over 4000 yards passing, was a finalist in MVP voting winning it once, and we made playoffs in that span. Now here's the BEST part, this was back when DBs weren't so handcuffed with rule changes/enforcements downfield so it was WAY more challenging than now.

Sipe could ERASE a bad first 58 minutes with game winning drives your boyfriend can't do. It is what it is. That said, I'll put you down as the ONLY fan in the world that can pretend Brian Sipe is inferior to Dumb Ass with a straight face and a stinger.

It's difficult to reason with you because when a homecoming princess sees his homecoming prince, the thing between his thighs makes his Levi's rise. I haven't misunderstood you got wood. It just gives me the willies.

- Tom F. (Isn't it funny how good the coaching always looks when you got the right starting QB? The noise about replacing Wade Phillips suddenly ended while Barry Switzer has a Superbowl Ring on his finger)

I don't understand Crennel coming out and stating that Brady Quinn is the starter next season. The kid played 3 games and not only went 1-2, but also really didn't do much but run a safe system into defeat.

Because thats how RAC works, which i'm guessing it is a motivational tool. It certainly doesn't inspire competition, kinda like a little league tourney where everyone gets trophys.

Guest ATENEARS

I agree Tom, Derek Anderson is the ONLY QB in the past twenty years we could mention in the same breath as Brian Sipe.

Sipe wasn't afraid to air it out, most times in nothing-to-lose games coming from behind. Imagine how many games would have went down the shitter if his top receiver lead the league in drops each of those four years Sipe put up big numbers?

If we get a new head coach, I think there is a good chance DA could still be on the team.

It is hard to imagine a new coach being hired who will comfortable with a starting qb who has 2 games of experience and his hand fresh out of a cast.

I wish the guy well and hope he rips it up the next several weeks.

There is no reason at all for anybody to hope less, unless the Dorsey fans start to come out of the woodwork.

If DA plays well, it does one of 2 things...it increases his value if we do trade him, or it gives the new coach something to consider....and his consideration is the weight that counts...Romeo's opinion means little.....that is unless people really think he will remain the coach.

Romeo telling me who the starter is next season is about as important and on point as President Bush telling us what our strategy in Iraq will be in 2 years.

I know that it might not say a whole lot about the guy, but I like the fact that suits up every week and has only seen injury in the preseason.

I like that he gets rid of the ball ... which has become a bit too quick without reading coverage, but he definately ain't Tim Couch or Frye and stand back there patting the ball and always be a second late delivering it.

I think the kid needs better coached, put in better schemes. I think this is the biggest fear I have with releasing him to a better format that will kill the league with him under center.

Change the bong water Stan,,,without being an ass...I still say he sucks...even Skip Bayless thinks hes gonna be better than Quinn or Trent Edwards.,...That in itself should scare anyone!

Just how many protesting threads have you put up about us releasing Sanders (again) this week? You guys keep telling us that benching BE isn't the same as benching DA for BQ because we have no one behind BE to replace him with.

Really? This is how desperate you have become to vindicate DA/Lum/whomever??? Come on, Stan. Let's get serious here for a minute.

First, you're wondering why there aren't any "Fuck, Steve Sanders was cut!" threads? It's because nobody cares. More accurately, it's because it doesn't matter at all. He's never been a major component of the team/prospective future component.

Second, let me explain why "benching" BE and "benching DA" are different things, at least to me. Braylon Edwards had a real all-pro season for us last year, he was completely dominant. I'm sure you watched. Many, if not most of us, believe last year's BE is the real BE, and is just struggling with attitude, motivation, whatever, this season. Prima donna...perhaps. Awesome talent...certainly. Plus, he has no viable replacement whatsoever. Steptoe? If anything, he is a respected threat and merits defensive attention freeing up other players. On the other hand, DA had a good first half and a vomitous second half, and his downright awful showing this season showed us who he really is; a marginal NFL QB. Plus, he had a viable replacement in a 2nd year 1st round pick that fans (and I would have to assume, the organization) want to get some real game footage of, and it isn't like you can use you piece-of-garbage QB as a decoy.

I don't give a fuck if DA puts up 30 TDs to no INTs with a 5000 QB rating in these last five games, he has proven he isn't the QB of the future here. Who knows if Quinn is, but at least he's going to get his shot.

I don't give a fuck if DA puts up 30 TDs to no INTs with a 5000 QB rating in these last five games, he has proven he isn't the QB of the future here.

I'm sure you'd love it if that were the case.

But like another BQ Fag said in another thread......a good showing from DA over these last 5 games would be the BQ Fags' "biggest nightmare".

Neither of those are good things, Ate. He doesn't throw the ball quick, deep, and into coverage every time because he's "brave." He does it because he's a Retard.

The simple fact is that if the team did not make the deal for Quinn, DA would be a god in this town.

Yeah, that's ridiculously simple.

Not saying you're wrong (after all, this is the town that has made Gods out of Omar Vizquel and Casey Blake), just that I can't imagine another town that would deify a QB who has been, well, as ordinary as DA has been over his last several starts.

Love his potential, not sold on his production. Same goes for Quinn. Can't picture another town that would call either of the two a "God" at this point.

I'm hating the whole DA/Quinn thing on this board. Most every thread involves someone calling another a fag or a worshiper or some such nonsense, no matter the topic. The crazed Oregon guy (can't remember his name) is in every thread railing on people and then the masses seek him out and yell right back at him. Almost always devolves into one person calling the other a guy who likes to have sex with squirrels when other guys aren't available.

Zero fucking creativity.

Beanpot

What a crap thread.

This forum is starting to turn into a joke

Strange that ATE didn't start this thread when BQ was the starter. That being said, I hope DA wins some games for us before the season is over. I highly doubt he does, but I truly hope he increases the 5th round draft pick that we will get for him at this point. Plus, his good buddy Fraley won't be playing Ole' with the opposing teams DT now.

Archived