THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC Playoff Picture

WPB Dawg Fan

The big news coming out of last week almost all in the AFC East. The Bills have dropped to 4th...and the Jets have captured the lead for the moment...with MIAMI actually ahead of NE for the WC spot. The Steelers squeaked out a victory over SD giving them sole lead in the North...and Indy continued it's streak and is now temporarily back in the playoffs. Denver's win solidified it's lead in the West.

Here are the standing as of now:

East: NY Jets 7-3

West: Denver 6-4

North: Pittsburgh 7-3

South: Tennessee 10-0

And here are the CURRENT wildcard leaders:

WC #1: Indianapolis 6-4

WC #2: Baltimore 6-4

The next group is:

Miami: 6-4

New England: 6-4

Buffalo: 5-5

Still Alive (but barely)

San Diego: 4-6

Cleveland: 4-6

Jacksonville: 4-6

As for the key games this coming week:

NY Jets @ Tennessee - Jets handled NE, but Tennessee is on an entirely different level. I really don't see Favre getting the time needed to have a big game...and without that, the Jets won't win. Expect a close game, but Tennessee at home should prove victorious!

Indianapolis @ San Diego- Indy is playing for their playoff lives...and winning!!! SD is playing for THEIR playoff lives...and LOSING. The lack of a pass rush from SD will prove to be their undoing and Manning will sit back and pick them apart.

New England @ Miami - Cassel is the flavor of the month...but he has done it against D's that don't get after the QB. Miami and Porter DO get after the QB...and Pennington knows how to beat the NE defense. Miami will continue its miracle turnaround and NE will come back to earth.

Other Games

Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh - Steelers are having problems. They have lost 2 of the last 3 and even the win was a squeaker. The Bengals have found new life, going 1-0-1 over their past 2 games (and a bye) and did it against good teams. This will be a tough game that Pittsburgh SHOULD win....but Cinci isn't listening to SHOULD!

Houston @ Cleveland - It was UGLY! It was SCARY! It was TOO CLOSE! But it was a WIN! And the offense is averaging 29.5 points per game with Quinn at QB. It has also had 6 and 7 scoring drives respectively. Houston gives up 28.7 points per game...so expect more of the same...a shootout!!! Cleveland gets healthy at home with it's 2nd straight win.

Buffalo @ Kansas City - Buffalo has now lost 4 straight games...and KC has been SOOO close lately. I think the demoralized bills go into KC and lay an egg!!!

Philadelphia @ Baltimore - Baltimore got embarrassed by the Giants...and McNabb doesn't even know that OT is sudden death. He won't know much of anything after this game as Baltimore is going to take it ALL out on them. Low scoring game...but Baltimore sends a message and pounds Phili.

If games go as expected, the Browns will be 5-6 and tied with Jax and Buffalo...but have the tiebreaker on both. They will trail NE by only 1 game...with Miami, NY Jets, and Indy only 2 game up. It is still a long shot...but they would still be alive theoretically.

The big news coming out of last week almost all in the AFC East. The Bills have dropped to 4th...and the Jets have captured the lead for the moment...with MIAMI actually ahead of NE for the WC spot. The Steelers squeaked out a victory over SD giving them sole lead in the North...and Indy continued it's streak and is now temporarily back in the playoffs. Denver's win solidified it's lead in the West.

The next group is:

Still Alive (but barely)

NY Jets @ Tennessee - Jets handled NE, but Tennessee is on an entirely different level. I really don't see Favre getting the time needed to have a big game...and without that, the Jets won't win. Expect a close game, but Tennessee at home should prove victorious!

Indianapolis @ San Diego- Indy is playing for their playoff lives...and winning!!! SD is playing for THEIR playoff lives...and LOSING. The lack of a pass rush from SD will prove to be their undoing and Manning will sit back and pick them apart.

New England @ Miami - Cassel is the flavor of the month...but he has done it against D's that don't get after the QB. Miami and Porter DO get after the QB...and Pennington knows how to beat the NE defense. Miami will continue its miracle turnaround and NE will come back to earth.

Other Games

Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh - Steelers are having problems. They have lost 2 of the last 3 and even the win was a squeaker. The Bengals have found new life, going 1-0-1 over their past 2 games (and a bye) and did it against good teams. This will be a tough game that Pittsburgh SHOULD win....but Cinci isn't listening to SHOULD!

Houston @ Cleveland - It was UGLY! It was SCARY! It was TOO CLOSE! But it was a WIN! And the offense is averaging 29.5 points per game with Quinn at QB. It has also had 6 and 7 scoring drives respectively. Houston gives up 28.7 points per game...so expect more of the same...a shootout!!! Cleveland gets healthy at home with it's 2nd straight win.

Buffalo @ Kansas City - Buffalo has now lost 4 straight games...and KC has been SOOO close lately. I think the demoralized bills go into KC and lay an egg!!!

Philadelphia @ Baltimore - Baltimore got embarrassed by the Giants...and McNabb doesn't even know that OT is sudden death. He won't know much of anything after this game as Baltimore is going to take it ALL out on them. Low scoring game...but Baltimore sends a message and pounds Phili.

If games go as expected, the Browns will be 5-6 and tied with Jax and Buffalo...but have the tiebreaker on both. They will trail NE by only 1 game...with Miami, NY Jets, and Indy only 2 game up. It is still a long shot...but they would still be alive theoretically.

Thanks for all the info- but do we really need to punish ourselves with playoff talk?

j/k but football gods don't let 4-6 teams into the playoffs.

Thanks for all the info- but do we really need to punish ourselves with playoff talk?

Yes, we should punish ourselves. I couldn't be a fan otherwise. We're not out until mathmatically eliminated. So, we're right in the hunt and control our own destiny. 10-6 gets us in and I bet 9-7 has a shot. Probable? No. Possible? Yes!!!

TEAMS.....................CHANCES

Houston....................YES

Indianapolis...............NO

Tennessee.................NO

Philadelphia...............NO

Cincinnati..................YES

Pittsburgh..................NO

We are currently 4 - 6 , realistically we can only go 6 - 10. Sad but true.

TEAMS.....................CHANCES

Houston....................YES agreed

Indianapolis...............NO give up 22.4 per game, no rushing attack (32nd @ 77.7 per game) and in Cleveland

Tennessee.................NO considering we play better against better teams....

Philadelphia...............NO sandwiched between NYG and Was games....and again poor rushing game (26th @ 95.3 per game)

Cincinnati..................YES agreed

Pittsburgh..................NO 2-2 over last 4, with both losses at home...and they play @ Ten the week before (we come off of Cinci)

We are currently 4 - 6 , realistically we can only go 6 - 10. Sad but true.

I agree that chances are we are NOT a playoff team....but there are stranger things that can happen. The Browns have scored 23+ in their last 4 games, and 29.5 per game under Quinn. The D has struggled mightily the last 3 games...but they also held teams to 17 or less in the previous 4 games...and 5 of the first 7...and only gave up 20 yesterday.

With a little luck and a good attitude this team could get on a roll. Not expecting it....but I really see us going at least 7-9...and maybe as good as 9-7.

No reason to give up hope on the playoffs yet especially in a year where the AFC is really weak and banged up.

With BQ under center, the offense has stablized. No TO's in two games is huge and if we keep that up, we stay in every game.

Two things that MUST happen:

*The running game must get untracked. Harrison must get more touches and Lewis needs to hit holes faster. He's running like he still can accelerate through a late-developing crack and he really can't. Someone needs to speak the truth to him and turn him into a straight-ahead bruiser. His only big runs will come when he hits the hole and breaks the first tackle and he'll only do that when he hits it fast and hard.

*The D has to get more aggressive. Bend-don't-break is fine in theory but I believe it's costing us late in games as the D gets tired and tentative. The D needs to up the aggressiveness and let the chips fall where they may.

Yes, we should punish ourselves. I couldn't be a fan otherwise. We're not out until mathmatically eliminated. So, we're right in the hunt and control our own destiny. 10-6 gets us in and I bet 9-7 has a shot. Probable? No. Possible? Yes!!!

Oh great, more punishment. As long as they evaluate what talent if any is sitting on the bench. Plenty of time to do draft research and FA backround checks.

If this team finishes 9-7 it would only cry out the bonehead moves already displayed this year.

The next group is:

Still Alive (but barely)

Other Games

None of this will matter at all unless the Browns take care of business against Houston at home something they have not been able to do the last 2 games they have played at home against Baltimore and Denver. You said the Browns were going to win both of those games as well 2-3 weeks ago and how did that turn out?? Houston will also be no walk in the park for the Browns as well. They took the Colts who have been playing very well the last few weeks to the limit in Indy last week and had numerous chances to win that game. Rosenfals and that offense can put up points, so if the Browns arent careful in this game like they weren't against Baltimore and Denver at home the samething will happen in this game that happened in those games...BTW how is that predicition of yours going where the Browns will be one game behind the Steelers for the AFC North title come the last week of the season when they play one another?? Much like I stated a few weeks ago the Browns would be 3 games behind the Steelers at the end of November if you will go back and look at it. And that's exactly where it most likely will be at the end of the weekend unless of course the Browns shit the bed at home once again against Houston like they did against Baltimore and Denver.

As for the other games you said first of all to correct you the Steelers have won 2 out of 3 not lost 2 out of 3. They beat the Redskins and Chargers 2 out of the last 3 weeks while losing to the Colts in between. The Bengals will not come in here against this defense and win.

If the Chargers and their explosive offense and passing game couldnt move the ball and score on this offense how in the hell do you expect the Bengals to do that with Ryan Fitzpatrick especially with their starting right tackle out as well.

I dont think KC beats Buffalo like you said. I do think the Chargers will upset the Colts in San Diego on Sunday night because the Chargers will be desperate to win and the Colts are due for a letdown game since they been playing so well.

The Miami Pats game can go either way. Ill take the Pats to barely win this game just because Belichick has had 10 days to get ready for this game which should allow them enough time to figure out how to stop the Dolphins and find a way to win. Baltimore and Philly will be a good game and can go either way but Ill take the Ravens in a close one at home. And I also think Tennessee will win and move to 11-0 and beat the Jets...

So nice to be a Steelers fan here and see your team in control of it's own destiny to get into the playoffs, and not have to deal with 5 billion different scenarios of how the Browns can still get a wildcard spot every single week. When you start having to worry about 5-6 other teams having to lose to get into the playoffs you're in trouble...

As Flugs would say "God bless ya Holmes."

I rarely read your posts, but for the most part you're not a total pud so I leave you alone. I just find it funny you have to come here all the time and make long posts defending your Steelers to us.

You got the upper hand, you won for now so I hope you're really, really proud.

Good on ya guy.

If anyone truly cares anymore....

Look it up yourself...it ain't worth my time!!!

Well here is one scenario for ya the Browns will be officially eliminated from winning the division on Sunday I believe with either a loss to Indy in Cleveland or a Steelers win in New England. A Browns loss to Indy would give them 8 losses and since the Steelers already have 8 wins and can finish no worse then 8-8 and 4-2 in the AFC North and the Browns can finish no better then 8-8 and 3-3 in the AFC North that right there is my math is correct would eliminate them officially from the division title race even before the month of December. The same can be said if the Steelers do win and get to 9 wins on Sunday as well the worst they could then do is 9-7,and the Browns could even win out and they still would not get the tiebraker over the Steelers because of the division record tiebraker.

Guess you insisting to me back in late September early October that the Browns would stay tooth and nail with the Steelers the rest of the season, and the Steelers were going to fall apart after the Philly loss or the Giants loss, and the Browns would be 1 game behind the Steelers going into the last game of the season went to complete shit and them some...Nice try though buddy maybe next year you will do a better job of making predicitions because the ones you made this year weren't even close.

Archived