THE BROWNS BOARD

Letters to Juliet Review

Letters To Juliet

Summit

PG 105 min

Ya know, just like when I go to see a kids’ movie I need to remind myself that they’re the ones the film is made for. That’s the mindset a guy needs to be in before even considering seeing LETTERS TO JULIET. Now THE GODFATHER or ROCKY, well those are guys movies and if girls don’t get it, well too damn bad.

Well I was the only male in the audience for this perfect embodiment of the term “chick flick.”

Trust me I have nothing against the genre, in fact there are plenty of things aimed toward the fairer sex I’ve liked a lot; hell I cried at LOVE STORY.

Anyway this one won’t be remembered that long; in fact the clock is ticking as we speak before it’s forgotten completely.

Oh it’s not particularly bad, and there’s nothing overtly bad about it, just well, forgettable.

The new girl on the romantic comedy block is Amanda Seyfried (Sophie) who is one of those girls that other girls seem to think is pretty. She seemed a little bland to me, but then again they aren’t selling this to WWF fans. She seems to be a non-threatening figure.

She’s a bright young thing engaged to a charismatic but self-absorbed young man, obsessed by his budding restaurant. Unfortunately his preoccupation with food and the word “incredible” doesn’t seem to include her.

Anyway on a trip to Italy he takes off to do chef things while she visits the home of Shakespeare’s legendary Juliet.

Every day troubled lovers place letters on the wall and a small group of ladies “Juliet’s secretaries” collect and answer them. Kinda sweet actually. Sophie finds one nearly fifty years old from an English woman (Vanessa Redgrave) who met and left her true love a half century ago.

Well Sophie answers back with a “seek your dream” kind of message and soon the old girl is in Verona to find the man of her dreams.

A rather uptight grandson (Chris Egan) who thinks this whole idea is foolish accompanies her, albeit reluctantly.

You wanna bet that he will see the light and fall head over heels for Sophie as the quest to find the elusive lover unfolds?

Of course the men are all flawed but not so much that redemption can’t be found through a woman’s love, and of course there are romantic comedy clichés galore.

Still the group of ladies in the theater with me was giggling up a storm so I’m guessing it hit is mark.

C+

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived