THE BROWNS BOARD

QB question

jnuh

So I just watched NFL access and they were talking about the Browns QB position and basically the fact that Delhomme is "eh" to say it nicely. My question is from the list of QBs that we could have realistically obtained who would you have liked to see ....

For me McNabb would have been a no brainer if we could have gotten him for the right price (I would have been ok with a second rounder) and we could have retained him past this season.

My other choice would have been

Kyle Orton if we could have gotten him for say a third rounder and Quinn

Jason Campbell for a similar deal the Raider got him

Lets hear what you guys think ...

I like Jake.

He is a Cajun....they now how to scrap and know good food.

He'll find his mojo this year and look like a all-pro.

I have always liked Jake . I think he is just what the doctor ordered for us this year of transition. He is a very good pro and in every way a plus going into this year with a solid back up in Wallace . I think it will be a great time to see how Mangini does in his new position of Head Coach (only) . I think there are many surprises ahead for us all as Browns fans , and this will be the BEST year since our return .

Go Browns

Thats a helluva lot of optimism fellas. I hope you are right, but Delhomme scares the hell out of me in regards to being a good fit here. I cant help but think his best years are behind him.

I like Jake.

He is a Cajun....they now how to scrap and know good food.

He'll find his mojo this year and look like a all-pro.

MMMMM crawfish boil. Anyway Jake is going to have probably the best line he has seen in years to throw behind. He wont have as good a runnig game but we are close in that regard. I like Jake, he is tough and i think perfect for the AFC North. Too bad he is up there in age, I wish we would have gotten him sooner.

i've been a closet Jake fan for years. It's time that i've come out. He's the guy that i've hoped would lead the Browns in 2010. When we obtained him, i went on record (on this Board when pressed for a prediction) that we wouldn't win more that 11 games. i'm sticking with that until at least the end of training camp.

i've been a closet Jake fan for years. It's time that i've come out. He's the guy that i've hoped would lead the Browns in 2010. When we obtained him, i went on record (on this Board when pressed for a prediction) that we wouldn't win more that 11 games. i'm sticking with that until at least the end of training camp.

Wow not more then 11 wins? don't go out on a lim here

Its gonna be a refreshing change to have a veteran QB under center...

This team is quietly morphing into a real football team and could be the surprise of the league this year...

This is sorta like spring training in baseball, everyones in 1st place with expectations being only optimistic...

Peace

T.Dawg

It totally amazes me that people can think that Jake somehow forgot how to play the position in one year?? He is an instant upgrade compared to who we had play the position last year. No, he's not gonna be our starting QB in 3 years, but that's not why he's here. He will provide stability to the position that needs it most, and be a beast in the locker room, that the young guys will learn from...................A perfect fit for a team in transition, which if just in case anybody missed it, is exactly what we are.

I'm intrigued by Jake and I think he's a one or two year player at best. I am specifically curious to see how that elbow of his responds in year 2 after Tommy John surgery (most pitchers need 2 years to recover).

I saw Jake play last year in person and he threw two picks that led to scores. One hit his receiver and deflected straight into the arms of Darelle Revis in one of the more bizarre interceptions you'd ever see.

McNabb would have been a longer commitment and he does have an uncanny ability to be a boom or bust performer (or so it seems).

I don't personally like Jason Campbell as a Brown because I think he's been such a scapegoat in DC and has gone through so many different offenses that I think the kid is seriously messed up from a football perspective. He's a stand up guy it seems but I'm not certain that he's any better than Jake at this point.

Remember also that Jake cost us dollars and no draft picks. We have a lot of needs so we needed all of those picks.

Wow not more then 11 wins? don't go out on a lim here

Dude, don't discount the importance of that prediction. i've stuck my neck out here (or kneck as Balpeen likes to call it), and this is a big step for me. My prediction is generally in the 9 to 10 games, but i sense somenthing special in this year's crop of veterans and newbies. i have exerted my leadership by extending my prediction to levels that are beyond the likes of anything that we've seen from you, Stan, Zombo, Riffer, Flugs, Hoorta, or anyone since before 1999. i'm breaking new ground here. i fully expect my record to remain unblemished, (but i welcome the challenge).

THIS IS NEW AND INSPIRED FRONT OFFICE, A HUNGRY BUNCH OF VETERANS, AND AN ITCHTY GROUP OF ROOKS THAT WANT TO HIT SOMEBODY! My prediction is well researched. i'm sticking to it.......... for now.

roach (Flugs has become an academic that unfortunately debates with those that don't really watch the games (what a waste), while Zombo steels umbrellas from those that do. Watch out for him.

So I just watched NFL access and they were talking about the Browns QB position and basically the fact that Delhomme is "eh" to say it nicely. My question is from the list of QBs that we could have realistically obtained who would you have liked to see ....

For me McNabb would have been a no brainer if we could have gotten him for the right price (I would have been ok with a second rounder) and we could have retained him past this season.

My other choice would have been

Kyle Orton if we could have gotten him for say a third rounder and Quinn

Jason Campbell for a similar deal the Raider got him

Lets hear what you guys think ...

McNabb is a proven loser and a high paid loser. Orton will never be more than a journeyman!

Franchise QB's win Championships the move were all good moves

I say we win no more than 10 games......and will betcha a case of beer on who is closer

We are moving at warp speed in the right direction...thank god at last

If Jake has a good year, I hope you can handle it. In 2003, when Carolina went to the superbowl, they were called the cardiac cats because so many games were won in the final few minutes. No team was blown away.

Rodney Peete started the first game of that season, and Carolina had 38 total yards in the first half. When Carolina got the ball in the second half, they were behind 17-0. The only substitution was at quarterback, but Carolina was a totally different team both running and passing. And the winning pass to Proehl was with seconds left.

I say we win no more than 10 games......and will betcha a case of beer on who is closer

We are moving at warp speed in the right direction...thank god at last

What the hell. You are on for a case. In case we push and we beat the Steelers twice- you buy. If we push and those faggots beat us twice- you buy. Deal?

I think the key to Jake's success and ours will be to play the way we won the last four games. Smash-mouth, run-first football. Boring as it may be, it was really effective. Kept the D fresh and off the field. And the timing between the running backs and the line was there. Combine that with Jake's passing abilities (to keep the opposing D honest) and I think we have a shot at .500 or better.

Dude, don't discount the importance of that prediction. i've stuck my neck out here (or kneck as Balpeen likes to call it), and this is a big step for me. My prediction is generally in the 9 to 10 games, but i sense somenthing special in this year's crop of veterans and newbies. i have exerted my leadership by extending my prediction to levels that are beyond the likes of anything that we've seen from you, Stan, Zombo, Riffer, Flugs, Hoorta, or anyone since before 1999. i'm breaking new ground here. i fully expect my record to remain unblemished, (but i welcome the challenge).

THIS IS NEW AND INSPIRED FRONT OFFICE, A HUNGRY BUNCH OF VETERANS, AND AN ITCHTY GROUP OF ROOKS THAT WANT TO HIT SOMEBODY! My prediction is well researched. i'm sticking to it.......... for now.

roach (Flugs has become an academic that unfortunately debates with those that don't really watch the games (what a waste), while Zombo steels umbrellas from those that do. Watch out for him.

The prediction is very vague which is why I said not to go out on a lim. "No more then 11 wins" Means we can have 5 again and you are right or we can have 11 and have a great years and you are right. Saying no more then 11 wins is pretty much a no brainer though. A team with 3 very tough teams in the division doesn't jump from 5 wins to more then 11 over night.

Every off season I feel like me, and every other Browns fan I know in real life or on the internet is overly optimistic and it just results in a long season and all my non Browns freinds fan telling me "I told you so" or "same old Browns" or whatever they decide is a fun stab at my decade of pain, suffering and misery. And to make matters worse I live in NYC so I have to subscribe (waste money) to sunday ticket and I travel to Cleveland atleast once a year and I go to whatever road games I could make a day trip out of ... always Jets/Giants games when they play in NYC and then I will go to Philly, Balt, Washington, and this year I will prob fly to florida for one the the games down there as I have friends throughout that state. So aside from the pain of watching my optimism slowly deflate as the season moves on I watch my money also slowly deflate because I waste so much of it on this team. And quit frankly it is begining to take a toll on me. I am a diehard fan and its the only way I know to be.

I am at the point now that they need to prove something to me before I go out on a lim for them anymore. I am sick of looking like an idiot. Every year I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick a feild goal when Lucy pulls the ball away .... every year I get hyped and every year Lucy pulls the ball away from chuck and he just falls flat on his a$$

Sorry for the rant I am just getting frustrated with this team and I really hate the Delhomme move. The dude has had injury problems, has been an interception machine is 35/36 years old and was handed they keys to the orginzation at the tune of half way decent money too. Atleast Orton or Campbell if they panned out are young enough and still are hitting there prime and cold have given us a few years. If Delhomme pans out its pretty much for a year or 2 tops. And in all honesty he only had a couple good years and they were in 04 and 05 thats 5-6 years ago.

I like Jake but personally I would of rather had Campbell. He's younger and he has shown that he can play despite the Brady Quinn type hands he has been dealt. His numbers are much better than Quinn's and he was in a very similiar bad situation. I think if he were available before we got Jake, we would have went for him. BUT! I like having Jake here and I expect him to sling it around the yard up until November when we start hammering Hillis and Hardesty through the gaps.

Thats a helluva lot of optimism fellas. I hope you are right, but Delhomme scares the hell out of me in regards to being a good fit here. I cant help but think his best years are behind him.

I don't think there is any doubt his best years are behind him.

I just think the remaining years will be good enough while this teams transitions from poor to good.

Jake can't sling it around as he once could, so we run and work shorter, ball control routes....a perfect set-up for a year or two from now when Colt gets his shot to show if he has it or if he doesn't.

That year or two also gives our staff a chance to get a feel if Colt has what it takes....allowing us to draft a plan B...or maybe new plan A while all of this plays out.

I don't think there is any doubt his best years are behind him.

I just think the remaining years will be good enough while this teams transitions from poor to good.

Jake can't sling it around as he once could, so we run and work shorter, ball control routes....a perfect set-up for a year or two from now when Colt gets his shot to show if he has it or if he doesn't.

That year or two also gives our staff a chance to get a feel if Colt has what it takes....allowing us to draft a plan B...or maybe new plan A while all of this plays out.

Then again we'll need to suck pretty badly to pick up next years Bradford...

WSS

Personally i wasn't a fan of the Delhomme pick up BUT very much understood why the Browns did it. They didn't want to go into the season with DA or Quinn and then after grabbing Seneca, they wanted to make sure they had a guy who's been a good QB in his career here. Last year was terrible for him BUT i suppose a way to look at it would be, we wouldn't have had ANY shot at getting him if he was still playing like he usually does.

I think he's either going to bounce back OR fail terribly. I sense no middle ground on this.

The move has grown on me and i like the guys attitude on things i've seen about him on the Browns website.

Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

He's suceeded at a high level and done so for multiple seasons, which is why people believe in him. Much like you, i'm unsure of what will happen. The guy clearly cares, so that is always a big positive in terms of everything and the talent WAS there, now we'll find out if it still is. I'm pretty confident if Jake lays an egg, we won't have to see him very long. This guy was brought in to install stability and if he cannot do that, we will see Seneca Wallace out there.

Jake wasn't brought to stretch the field, if he does great, if not he"ll get you that 9 yards whenn you need 7 or 8. I was 14 in 1964 when the Browns won it all. I can't remember ever seeing from any pro team a more pathetic, impotent & nauseating performance than DA & Quinn. Run & gun Jake, he could do it left handed!

I know he wasn't brought in to stretch the field, but he was brought in to not turn the ball over and his track record the past couple season tells a different story. The interceptions worry me the most.

Also when I started this thread I asked a simple question which was... what QB would you have like to see our Brownies bring in and everyone has avoided that question and just commented about Delhomme. I can't possibly imagine that everyone who has posted in this thread wanted Delhomme before we got him. It is kind of slow around here and I was interested in hearing different people opinions, but I haven't really gotten that at all.

Archived