THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Cushing could lose Defensive Rookie of the Year award

calfoxwc

Just another indication that drafting young players with CHARACTER is a terrific idea.

BTW, seriously, what the heyl is wrong with a diuretic?

Keeps you from holding water.... eh?

But isn't there an APPROVED list of drugs that they can take?

Cushing could lose Defensive Rookie of the Year award

By Doug Farrar

The hits just keep on coming for Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing(notes). Not only has he been suspended for the first four games of the 2010 regular season for a violation of the league's policies on performance-enhancing drugs, but the Associated Press is going to cast a new vote for the Defensive Rookie of the Year award that Cushing originally won. Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd(notes) finished second in the voting the first time. Though he is on the ballot in the re-vote, I'd give Cushing the same odds of winning again that I'd give myself of replacing him on the field. It's tough to argue the merit of this gesture. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Cushing failed his test last September but was allowed to play through the appeal process. While he maintains that whatever he took was not a steroid substance, Cushing ingested something that ran afoul of the NFL's policy on PEDs. That's really all we need to know.

Adding to the urgency of this action is that Cushing is the third Defensive Rookie of the Year to fail such a test -- former Carolina Panthers and current Chicago Bears defensive end Julius Peppers(notes) was suspended for the last four games of the 2002 season after testing positive for a banned diuretic. He won the award anyway after amassing 12 sacks and five forced fumbles. And in October of 2006, San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman(notes) was suspended for four games after a positive test -- he had won the DROY award in 2005. Neither player was stripped of their awards.

The Cushing suspension has raised more and more questions about the NFL's PED policy, and how well it's enforced. How is it that a rookie, who went through the pre-draft process with suspicions about his possible chemical intake all over the place, could test positive for a banned substance and then play a full season? That the AP feels the need to take matters into its own hands with a new DROY vote, is one more indication that the league needs to step up its pattern of action against such violators. As it stands now, the NFL looks more like Major League Baseball in the 1990s, when the profits generated by "illegal" home runs overrode any long-term integrity or player-safety concerns.

This thread should be about who should be in contention to win the award in 2010. Haden will be a hands down favorite as he frustrates the No.1's that he is covering week after week. Joe is causing overthrown sidelines passes and panicked inside dump-offs all seeason. He has three safety blitz sacks. and 14 other tackles at the line of scrimage. He ends the season with three interceptions as the opponents learn early in the season to keep the action away from him.

When Jackson goes down with a strained PP, Haden offers to step up and play LB. Coach Mangini, while tempted by the prospects of all those expected new stops at the LOS, sticks to his discipline of playing Haden on the corner. The desicion pays off as the Browns soar through the defensive rankings to the middle of the pack. Their play is a true inspiration for Jake and his covey of offensive weapons.

This turns out to be a team where the offense and defense truly respect and admire each ohter's contribution. i'll talk about the playoffs later.

How did this guy keep his award? What a joke the AP is. If I just give my students the answers to a test to boost their grades to make myself look like a better teacher, do I keep my job? Absolutely not. This guy gets caught breaking the rules and he saves face. I know it's only an award, but come on. Let's teach our kids to cheat to win because people will still love you. Give me a break.

How did this guy keep his award? What a joke the AP is. If I just give my students the answers to a test to boost their grades to make myself look like a better teacher, do I keep my job? Absolutely not. This guy gets caught breaking the rules and he saves face. I know it's only an award, but come on. Let's teach our kids to cheat to win because people will still love you. Give me a break.

Actually, because of the teacher's union you would not only keep your job, you may get a fat new salary!

All joking aside, he should have lost his award no doubt. While I agree with the NFL's 4 game suspension, there is no way he should have retained his award especially as a rookie award. What message does that send to young NFL players? But then again, maybe the banned substance wasn't one of the big no no's and so wasn't looked down on as harshly as some other ones. With the NFL's list of substances I wouldn't be surprised if he took stool softeners or something and was in violation.

It was probably a masking agent. When I saw some photos of this guy a year ago its the first thing that popped into my head.."Juicer". Now that he is under closer scrutiny the telling signs will be there...much smaller.decreased production

I was surprised when I heard he won the re-vote.

Yes, it was a masking agent ... so yes, he was on steriods. There is no other reason on earth for a young athlete to have fertiity drugs in his body.

I thought that Clay Matthews had a great season and that safety in Buffalo had nine interceptions ... but I guess the voters don't care that he cheated. I'm glad they did a re-vote though, good precedent.

Zombo

--Biggest shocker is how the Steelers did not get a hold of this roid head.

This revote was the dumbest thing they could have done. looks like they condone cheating now..Just don't revote and say its not the procedure, but to revote and still give him the reward is beyond moronic and a terrible message to send out to the public. there have been whispers about him for a couple years now..no shock

Archived