THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday, belated Mother's Day

The Gipper

Not gay as in fag, gay as in happy. Haha no I just dont like there sound, a little before my time. You said who doesnt like the beach boys, well I dont but if I was older I might dig it...nah probably not

WTF does age or being before your time have to do with it? Am I supposed to NOT like today's music just because I am older? I like plenty of today's music.

I mean, Mozart made his music in the 1700s. should we not still enjoy his stuff because it is "old"? Good music generally transcends time.

WTF does age or being before your time have to do with it? Am I supposed to NOT like today's music just because I am older? I like plenty of today's music.

I mean, Mozart made his music in the 1700s. should we not still enjoy his stuff because it is "old"? Good music generally transcends time

Age has everything to do with it, music changes with every generation. I respect them for what they did, they have some catchy tunes its just not my style.

Age has everything to do with it, music changes with every generation. I respect them for what they did, they have some catchy tunes its just not my style.

You must be extremely young and naive to believe what you just said. An occasional new type genre comes along, like rap, that sounds a little different, but the basics of music have NOT changed from generation to generation. A good tune is a good tune whether it was made last year or 100 years ago. The only difference is that the new tune is....well, new. There isn't that much difference between what Miley Cyrus sings and what Leslie Gore sange. There have been some slight improvements in technology, but believe it or not, that has not always actually improved the songwriting.

I am not a musician, but I suspect that those who are will tell you that the structure/texture of most popular songs written

today is really no different than it was 50 or more years ago.

You want evidence? Look at one of the most popular music venues out there right now: American Idol. Let's see. That is a 2010 TV show with the largest ratings to a 2010 youth market. What were at least 3 of the themes of their recent shows?: Music by the Beatles/Lennon/McCartney, music by the Rolling Stones, and music by Frank Sinatra.

We just bought the Adam Lambert CD. His vocal stylings are very reminiscent of Freddie Mercury. Lamber has some good tunes, but Queen, I believe, wrote better songs than are on that album. But, in reality, you could have taken the songs Queen wrote 35 years ago and had Lambert sing them and they would have been just as good or better than what he put out. And you could have taken Mercury and have him sing Lambert's tunes and that would have been good too.

Again, though, as I said, I am no musician so I cannot speak to the technicalities involved but I am sure someone here can.

Im also 25, naw music hasnt changed over time Im just young and dum

You are right on both counts. The "Tool" song is nothing but warmed over Hendrix and Steppenwolf and Alice Cooper that they were putting out in the mid 60s. The stop action animation of that video is the same thing Gumby and Pokey were back in the 50s. Some of the technology is improved, but that is about it.

I think all music today sucks. That's it. If you don't agree, I don't care. The best music was in the 60's and 70's. Some 80's music included. But, if you ask my mother who is 85, she will tell you the best music was in the 40's and 50's, some 60's. ;)

I remember working at Geauga Lake in the water section when I was 16 and all they played from open to close was the Beach Boys. After 8 non stop hours of that I was ready to go insane.

Well too much of even a good thing is still too much.

By the way, you think things are so "new". Here is the original rapper, circa about 1966 or so:

So, whatever they are doing in rock or rap or whatever, they were doing it years and years and years ago. Have technologies been tweeked? Sure, some. But at heart the music is basically the same.

Gipper every artist has influences,Im sure if i dug deep enough I could find somebody the Beach boys have immulated. But you can use a concept that has already been done and sound completely different. With a drummer, basses, guitarist, and singer you can compare every band if you wanted to, its the sound that they make as a group that seperates genre's. If you had no idea who the Beach Boys were and I played them for you today, you would think it was made 50 years ago. You can tell buy the sound if it was from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's. For you to deny that is mind boggling

I think all music today sucks. That's it. If you don't agree, I don't care. The best music was in the 60's and 70's. Some 80's music included. But, if you ask my mother who is 85, she will tell you the best music was in the 40's and 50's, some 60's. ;)

This is one of the silliest arguments I've ever seen here. I own music from all of those decades and a fair amount from the last few decades as well. There are musical genres that are not in my collection but not many. I have less of the current music because I don't have as much of an opportunity to listen to it and discover what I like. I have a lot of music from the 60's and 70's because that's when I had a lot of time to sit around listening to music and thumbing through the bins at the music store. I suspect much of my favorite music has less to do with the quality and more to do with the happy memories associated with it. I learned to love classical music, opera, jazz and the big bands by spending happy times with my parents. I shared the 60's and 70's music with lots of good friends. I have Satriani and several other musicians in my collection because I spent time listening to them when my son was studying guitar. I have mixed feelings about polka music because I loved dancing at weddings but didn't like being forced to watch Polka Varieties every Sunday.

The Beach Boys were the perfect complement to all the beach movies and the discovery of the joys of surfing. I think if any of us had a party with a beach/surfing theme, most of the guests would enjoy the Beach Boys music as a complement to the theme.

I spent countless hours as a young girl listening to The Lettermen and daydreaming about how I might some day meet the love of my life. That music no longer appeals to me as it did then but that doesn't reflect on the musicianship of its creators.

We like what we like for a variety of reasons. It doesn't really matter WHY we like it but I would argue that it's not nearly as simple as what age a person is.

That just further proves that age has alot to do with it. You say your favorite music is based on happy experiences you had with it. And you have alot of 60's and 70's because of time spent with friends and at the record store. For someone like me who was born early 80's I dont have them experiences prior to the 90's. My experiences were with bands of the 80's 90's and now 2000's. Somebody who as lived a longer life than I, it would be easy to say age is not a factor because you have lived through more musical changes than I have. You have experiences with each change that you can draw on that attracts you to that music. Im attracted to music that I have experiences with and have grown up listening to. Thats not to say that I dont like some bands before my generation, because theres alot that I do. But my main musical interest is from my generation.

That just further proves that age has alot to do with it. You say your favorite music is based on happy experiences you had with it. And you have alot of 60's and 70's because of time spent with friends and at the record store. For someone like me who was born early 80's I dont have them experiences prior to the 90's. My experiences were with bands of the 80's 90's and now 2000's. Somebody who as lived a longer life than I, it would be easy to say age is not a factor because you have lived through more musical changes than I have. You have experiences with each change that you can draw on that attracts you to that music. Im attracted to music that I have experiences with and have grown up listening to. Thats not to say that I dont like some bands before my generation, because theres alot that I do. But my main musical interest is from my generation.

But chronological age is not the ONLY variable nor is it, necessarily, the most important variable. If I ever become a grandparent I hope to share ALL of the decades of music with my grandchildren. Perhaps their musical tastes will be ageless. Why do you suppose American Idol asks their contestants to deliver songs from so many different eras and genres of music?

My teens and 20s corresponded to the 60s and 70s. The great thing for me is that this also happened to be an era of fantastic, original music that has really stood the test of time. Honestly ... I really consider most of the 80's to be a cultural wasteland. It's not very memorable compared to the preceding decades. :)

[/b]

my point exactly

MY point exactly. You only like today's music because it is today's music. Because it is what you may be familiar with. Not because there is anything instrinsically new or different about it in substance.

Gipper every artist has influences,Im sure if i dug deep enough I could find somebody the Beach boys have immulated. But you can use a concept that has already been done and sound completely different. With a drummer, basses, guitarist, and singer you can compare every band if you wanted to, its the sound that they make as a group that seperates genre's. If you had no idea who the Beach Boys were and I played them for you today, you would think it was made 50 years ago. You can tell buy the sound if it was from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's. For you to deny that is mind boggling

For you to believe that is mind boggling. You hear something from the 60s...and you know it is from the 60s and you say "aha" music from the 60s. But I can tell you right here and now that with a lot of it, the only difference in sound and structure is the technology on which they were recorded. See, the reverse is also absolutely true. I can hear many songs made today that if I didn't know them, you would think they were made 50 years ago. I gave you a perfect example. The Alice Cooper songs I linked are of little distinction from the Tool song you linked. If Tool had recorded Black JuJu or the other it would have fit right into their current repertoire of sound.

Just sall you comparing Beach Boys and Bone Thugs N Harmony, haha thats great. I dont see it....its music, I guess thats compareable.

Hello, McFly, is anybody home? They both apply almost the same vocal harmonic techniques. BTH could probably do a decent cover of a Beach Boys song. The Beach Boys could have probably done a decent cover of a BTH song. The biggest difference? Lyrics. BTH has this silly...say stupid...tendency to have everything be about N;;;;r this or N;;;;;r that. They ruins some really good music with that crap.

Again. you are being so clueless it is bordering on being pathetic. Of course age has to do with which artist's music you like, with which music was being played when you are growing up...with which bands you choose to follow. But it doesn't have anything to do with the music itself. With the intrinsic nature of that music. Even the style. Sure, my generations parents may have liked Frank Sinatra and Hank Williams, and My Generation may have liked the Beatles, the Stones, and The Who, and someone 20 years younger than me may have grown up liking Madonna, U2, or Van Halen, and someone in 2000s may like Coldplay, Radiohead, or The Gorillaz. But, like I said, and evidenced, in various cases, if Coldplay had sung a song written by Lennon/McCartney or the Gorillaz did a cover of say a Doors tune, ..or vice versa on each...it is highly probable that the intrinsic nature of the music would have been timeless and fit right in with the other bands repertoire. They were still all Apples, not apples and grapefruit.

Gipper you lost me in this argument. You seem to be arguing in my favor now. I say I dont like the Beach Boys because its before my time. You say what does age have to do with it? I say everything. Then later you say: " Of course age has to do with which artist's music you like, with which music was being played when you are growing up...with which bands you choose to follow."

You say musical concepts havent changed over the years. I say you can use the same concept and sound totally different. You prove my point by comparing Bone thugs n Harmony to the Beach Boys.

you go from Psychedelic to disco to hairbands to grunge to rap and death metal, those are changes in music over generations. Maybe the concepts are the same but the music changed.

Im done arguing about it cause I no you'll go on forever, believe what you want I'll believe what I want

Gipper you lost me in this argument. You seem to be arguing in my favor now. I say I dont like the Beach Boys because its before my time. You say what does age have to do with it? I say everything. Then later you say: " Of course age has to do with which artist's music you like, with which music was being played when you are growing up...with which bands you choose to follow."

You say musical concepts havent changed over the years. I say you can use the same concept and sound totally different. You prove my point by comparing Bone thugs n Harmony to the Beach Boys.

you go from Psychedelic to disco to hairbands to grunge to rap and death metal, those are changes in music over generations. Maybe the concepts are the same but the music changed.

Im done arguing about it cause I no you'll go on forever, believe what you want I'll believe what I want

You are the one arguing in circles. I am saying that you will like a certain current act over an "oldie" act purely for the fact that the new act is "current". NOT because the music is all that different at all.

I am saying that some "Psychedelic music" is basically the same style of some music that is being played today. Its just that you may not label it that. I am saying that "teenage pop" music is basically the same today as it was in the mid-60s. (recall the first thing I ever said is that Miley Cyrus and Leslie Gore could essentially be interchangeable). I am saying that "death metal" was being played in the 60s by Iron Butterfly and Steppenwolf.

The fact is, those changes you claim are NOT changes. They are simply the same kind of music, essentially, being done by artists with a different name. A "genre" change may be nothing more than a label change....an advertizing ploy, not a real substantive change in the music.

The one possible exception may be rap, but hell, elements of rap go back, as I said to the early 70s. See the following from like 1974:

I mean, its basically not far off what Eminem does.

Archived