THE BROWNS BOARD

10 Questions with Carlton Mitchell

Browns57

Prospect Profile: 10 More Questions With Carlton Mitchell

{ Wide receiver prospect Carlton Mitchell gives his answers to 10 more unique questions about his life. }

Author: Carlton Mitchell, Special to NFLPLAYERS.COM Posted: 3/29/2010

In a feature called Prospect Profiles, Carlton Mitchell of the University of South Florida takes his turn in the spotlight. A junior wide receiver, Mitchell is a 6-foot-3, 215-pound prospect who has been projected to be drafted in the second round. Among wide receivers at the Scouting Combine, Mitchell tied for sixth in the broad jump, eighth in the bench press and placed 10th in the 40-yard dash. His mother, Angela Mitchell, is the only female “cutter” in men's boxing, working as the cutter in Antonio Tarver's corner, and has worked with Roy Jones Jr. and others. In the second of three profiles on Mitchell leading up to the NFL Draft, find out what hardly anyone knows about this NFL prospect.

The NFL player I would compare myself to is …

I never really try to compare myself to any player; I’ve always tried to borrow from a whole variety of players—from Jerry Rice and Brandon Marshall to Reggie Wayne. They all have a certain style and technique that I like. My offensive coordinator compared me to Braylon Edwards and my receivers coach compared me to the late Chris Henry. But me personally, I just try to take a little bit from everybody.

The one thing I’m going to miss most about being in college is …

My boys—my teammates—the bond we had in the locker room and how well everybody got along. We had some random moments on that team, and some of those guys are gonna be in my wedding.

If I could meet any famous person, I would choose …

Jamie Foxx. He does so much—he can sing, he can act very well and he’s also a comedian; he’s very funny. His lifestyle would be pretty cool.

My favorite food is

Fried okra. I was born in Gainesville, Fla., and every Sunday after church, we’d go to a place called Church’s Chicken. My grandma always ordered me a family-sized fried okra, and I’ve loved it since I was little.

What I have that nobody else in this draft does is …

The ability to be a complete receiver. I feel like I can be a complete receiver full-time, not just a deep threat, but also if they need me to get to the first-down sticks, run a reverse, get a block or be a decoy—I can do that as well. Not only do I want to contribute to a team and be accomplished on the field, but at the same time, doing things off the field because I take a lot of pride in my character. I just know I’ll never have any off-the-field issues. I really want to help out and get into the community. I know a lot of people say that, but that’s something I really want to do. I want to help kids from high school on down.

I won’t be a bust in the NFL because …

Of my passion and my love for the game. I’m truly dedicated and I will never say I’m satisfied because once I say I’m satisfied, that’s when I’m gonna have problems. So, just keeping a mindset of watching Jerry Rice and Michael Jordan, how they worked so much. You can’t get comfortable because there’s always someone that’s gonna be bigger, stronger or faster, so you always have to push through everything.

Right now, on my iPod is …

A lot of Lil’ Wayne—most of his stuff. My favorite song by him is “I’m a Go Getta.” That song got me through a lot—some workouts, the season, my training for the Combine—all that.

The NFL player I will be completely star-struck by is …

Brett Favre. He’s going down as the greatest. When I was younger, I remember watching him as a little kid. Now I’m a grown man and I’m about to enter the NFL, and he’s still playing! To meet him would be great.

The top three things on my bucket list are …

I’m gonna go skydiving one day. I want to play in—and win—a Super Bowl one day. When it’s all said and done, of course I want to be successful, but at the same time, I want to be someone that’s known as a great person on and off the field and someone who’s born to do big things—like Jerry Rice, Reggie Wayne and Larry Fitzgerald. I want to be considered one of the top guys. I’m not a selfish person—I mean that in the most humble way—I just want to be known as a team guy that always did the right thing and was very dedicated to the game.

The best prank I ever pulled or witnessed was …

At a practice one day in camp, the play was over and I ran down the field, and I fell. I wasn’t moving; I stayed still the whole time. They yelled to go get our sports medicine person, all the trainers ran over, and I got up and ran off the field. It may sound kinda cruel, but in the moment, it was very funny. A lot of coaches got a kick out of it. We were just messing with them.

- As told to NFLPLAYERS.COM Editor Khalil Garriott

Prospect Profile: 10 More Questions With Carlton Mitchell

{ Wide receiver prospect Carlton Mitchell gives his answers to 10 more unique questions about his life. }

Author: Carlton Mitchell, Special to NFLPLAYERS.COM Posted: 3/29/2010

The best prank I ever pulled or witnessed was …

At a practice one day in camp, the play was over and I ran down the field, and I fell. I wasn’t moving; I stayed still the whole time. They yelled to go get our sports medicine person, all the trainers ran over, and I got up and ran off the field. It may sound kinda cruel, but in the moment, it was very funny. A lot of coaches got a kick out of it. We were just messing with them.

- As told to NFLPLAYERS.COM Editor Khalil Garriott

Hey carlton if you had done this on mangini's clock i would be saying:

Congratulations kiddo you made a funny and just put yourself deep in the dogpound with mangini and daboll 2 of the most boring, prank hating ,spiteful and miserable human beings to ever coach in pro football...you will now join colt mccoy who talked to mangini to much about cows at the bottom of the opportunity list with a side note saying "do you think it was funny now'...colts side note will say "do you feel like going back to the pasture yet"...hehehehe

This kid looks like the next braylon edwards maybe he can catch because he sure cant get seperation...;)

Well

Congratulations kiddo you made a funny and just put yourself deep in the dogpound with mangini and daboll 2 of the most boring, prank hating ,spiteful and miserable human beings to ever coach in football...you will now join colt mccoy who talked to mangini to much about cows at the bottom of the opportunity list with a side note saying "do you think it was funny now'...colts side note will say "do you feel like going back to the pasture yet"...hehehehe

Well the prank wasn't all that clever or funny. ;)

WSS

I really like this kid. We might end up with a good one as long as he catches better than Braylon. Let us hope.

I thought it was funny how he said we went to this place called Churches Chicken. When I tell stories I often say I went to this place called Burger King and got me this thing that they call a Whopper. Lol

I can't wait for this kid to be the steal of the draft.

I see blazing fast Jerry Rice in him... how did the Browns have the

PATIENCE to wait so long to draft this kid? How did they know?

The Browns just may end up stealing some good ones from this draft & I believe Carlton Mitchell WILL be one of those steals. It normally takes receivers 2-3 years to get going good in the NFL, so we'll see, but I feel good about this kid.

Mike

I can't wait for this kid to be the steal of the draft.

I see blazing fast Jerry Rice in him... how did the Browns have the

PATIENCE to wait so long to draft this kid? How did they know?

He is a little bit of a gamble since he played in a run first offense and came out early, but he was rated as the eighth best receiver in the draft. There were a few receivers who were rated high who came off the board late. I know that Riley Cooper came off of the board right before Cleveland picked in the 5th. With that happening they probably figured that he or maybe another receiver that they liked would still be there. But what do I know? Just a guess.

Archived