THE BROWNS BOARD

Cowher says no

YtownBrownsBacker

With all the speculation about bringing in Cowher next year, it's time for a reality check.

First, the browns have not contacted Cowher. That has been reported by the Browns and by ESPN who talked to Cowher.

Second, Cowher has said on more then one occasion that he would never coach the Browns or any team in the AFC North as long as the Rooneys still owned the Steelers. He said it was about the respect that he has for the Rooneys.

So, please move on. He obviously isn't a consideration.

Know, are you looking for a retread or a up and coming assistant. Retreads usually end up being just that. Forget about Marty, and Green and Billick. They were fired for a reason and it usually was because they weren't winning.

New coaches that are winning in the NFL aren't the 30 year assistants, like Crennel and Nolan. Take a look around the league, Sean Payton, Zorn, Harbaugh, Mangini.

My vote goes for Spagnola. I don't want a college coach or a retread. I want a young energenic guy that will come in here and put a kick ass defense on the field. Someone who won't play a prevent defense in the 2nd quarter.

rex ryan! spags only runs a 4-3. ryan runs every defensive formation imaginable.

That's one of the reasons I want him..............................Scrap the 3-4. Spagnola runs a line up and go get the QB, kick ass defense. I think Ryan is very good and if he can bring Suggs and a ILB with him, I say welcome.

Maybe finally our organization will realize that it isn't the DL that makes the 3-4 work. It's the LBs and you also have to have a great SS.

Cowher has said on more then one occasion that he would never coach the Browns or any team in the AFC North as long as the Rooneys still owned the Steelers. He said it was about the respect that he has for the Rooneys.

It was a pipedream anyway. Lerner will most likely go ahead and hire some piece of shit retread like Andy Reid.

It was a pipedream anyway. Lerner will most likely go ahead and hire some piece of shit retread like Andy Reid.

Well, the newest rumor is Billick. Balt. won dispite Billick, not because of him.

Marty, Billick, Tice, Green and Reid.........................all retreads you can keep them.

rex ryan! spags only runs a 4-3. ryan runs every defensive formation imaginable.

Ryan is my preference. Not only does he run a 3-4 base...but it is aggressive. He won't mess with GM or OC positions....and we are stealing him from a division opponent who can't match the offer...(he is already an AHC....and they have a new HC this year in Harbough)....so he will NEED to look outside Baltimore for a promotion.

With all the speculation about bringing in Cowher next year, it's time for a reality check.

First, the browns have not contacted Cowher. That has been reported by the Browns and by ESPN who talked to Cowher.

Second, Cowher has said on more then one occasion that he would never coach the Browns or any team in the AFC North as long as the Rooneys still owned the Steelers. He said it was about the respect that he has for the Rooneys.

Know, are you looking for a retread or a up and coming assistant. Retreads usually end up being just that. Forget about Marty, and Green and Billick. They were fired for a reason and it usually was because they weren't winning.

New coaches that are winning in the NFL aren't the 30 year assistants, like Crennel and Nolan. Take a look around the league, Sean Payton, Zorn, Harbaugh, Mangini.

My vote goes for Spagnola. I don't want a college coach or a retread. I want a young energenic guy that will come in here and put a kick ass defense on the field. Someone who won't play a prevent defense in the 2nd quarter.

Marty was 14-2 his last season with the Chargers. He's won everywhere he's been. He was fired because he was not the choice of the GM for coach.

While I do not think Cowher is coming here, I present to you that Saban vehemently denied taking the 'Bama job while in Miami - under contract.

How many playoff appearances and victories do those guys have?

This team has tried rookie headcoaches every time with the exception of once. It has worked out exactly TWICE (Paul Brown, Marty Schottenheimer). Maybe it's time to try something different, espeically when you have a couple of headcoaches out there who are KNOWN to build winning cultures.

Keep your rookie headcoaches this time, please.

Im under the impression that no quality GM or HC types are going to want to work under randy lerner and his absentee ownership only appearing to hire and fire with no real football man ethics or philosophy who in their right mind other than an upstart like savage or crennel would dare stake their future to such an idiot owner?

Im under the impression that no quality GM or HC types are going to want to work under randy lerner and his absentee ownership only appearing to hire and fire with no real football man ethics or philosophy who in their right mind other than an upstart like savage or crennel would dare stake their future to such an idiot owner?

Actually you would think a good GM would think that to be an ideal situation. No owner to meddle around in your affairs as a GM. No Al Davis. An owner that lets you do your job without trying to influence you. Why would they not like that?

Actually you would think a good GM would think that to be an ideal situation. No owner to meddle around in your affairs as a GM. No Al Davis. An owner that lets you do your job without trying to influence you. Why would they not like that?

Exactly.

Places I think they would want to avoid would be Washington, Oakland...in fact, here is a list of the bottom 17 owners in the NFL:

Worst Owners

Lerner comes in 20th...

20. Cleveland Browns – Randy Lerner: Some people in Cleveland, noting the promise displayed by the organization last season, might argue that Lerner should be higher on this list. I would argue that Lerner probably isn’t one of those people. Chances are, he’ll read this and shrug. He seems far more concerned with Aston Villa, the soccer team he owns in the English Premier League, and the frequent trips to London that gig necessitates. Perhaps because his late father, Al, was such a prominent figure in Cleveland – or perhaps because it’s, you know, Cleveland – the younger Lerner doesn’t appear to share the same enthusiasm for the home of the Browns. Lerner recently hired former league employee Mike Keenan as president, finally filling the job that opened after John Collins lost out to general manager Phil Savage in a power struggle in 2005. He also refuted a rumor that he’s moving to London fulltime to be Villa’s CEO. In terms of NFL dealings, one owner says of Lerner, “He’s not very decisive. Whoever gets to him last has got him, and he leads the way in terms of manipulating the revenue-sharing agreement to his advantage. It’s very disappointing.

So his bad traits are he is hands off...and that he manipulates the revenue-sharing to his advantage. Whaaa!

While I do not think Cowher is coming here, I present to you that Saban vehemently denied taking the 'Bama job while in Miami - under contract.

Thanks for the meaningless anecdote. You're not seriously comparing the character of Bill Cowher to that of Nick Saban are you? When Cowher says something, I believe it. When Saban does, I bet on the exact opposite.

That's the part that bothers me. If the man can't make a decision and his key people know that "whoever gets to him last has got him"...well, all they need to do is wait long enough to have his ear then they know they'll get what they want. In the meantime things back at the farm are going to hell in a handbasket.

I've had bosses like that and they suck.

Hands off is good (it takes someone extra 'special' to like micro-managers) but wishy-washy, spineless flip-floppers are useless.

That's true too. It could be because of his limited knowledge.

Thanks for the meaningless anecdote. You're not seriously comparing the character of Bill Cowher to that of Nick Saban are you? When Cowher says something, I believe it. When Saban does, I bet on the exact opposite.

I have heard enough BS from every coach in the NFL and NCAA to know that your misguided belief in Cowher's words is Naïveté at its finest.

I have heard enough BS from every coach in the NFL and NCAA to know that your misguided belief in Cowher's words is Naïveté at its finest.

Yeah, Bill Cowher (by all accounts a stand-up guy and a class act) is going to make a promise to his employer of what, 15 years?, that he would never coach the Browns, or any team in the AFC North as long as they still owned the Steelers, and break it to take over this mess? Please, bro, this isn't Nick Saban talking here...sorry you've become so jaded.

Guess I'm just being naive here, Desert Dawg.

Yeah, Bill Cowher (by all accounts a stand-up guy and a class act) is going to make a promise to his employer of what, 15 years?, that he would never coach the Browns, or any team in the AFC North as long as they still owned the Steelers, and break it to take over this mess? Please, bro, this isn't Nick Saban talking here...sorry you've become so jaded.

Guess I'm just being naive here, Desert Dawg.

I never said Cowher was taking the job did I? In fact I have stated over and over he is not taking the job, asswipe. I said I don't believe any coach when he says "I will NOT be coaching next season."

I have been civil on this board and if you want to start shit take it to PM.

I don't want to start anything. I just felt the need to call out your ridiculous statement what I saw it, which, ironically, is pretty much what you thrive on around these parts.

Asswipe?

I would think just the opposite. Why wouldn't a GM want to come to a team where he has say so in most football operations and is provided the money he needs. Lerner has never closed the purse strings and he doesn't interfere in the football decisions of the staff.

Hell, I wish my boss would give me the tools and money I need, go away, and then judge me on the bottom line at years end.

I like your thinking Ytown about Cowher at least........it is hilariious to think he is coming here to work for our loser buffoon SEWAGE..............as far as coaches do not throw college guys under the bus.........winners are winners and the level of coaching is not the issue it is about getting players to play big and have schemes to help them

sumitimes I think the most overrated crap is assistants working for big time head coaches...................duh Crennel and Weis

cowher does not owe the rooneys anything,business now adays is we pay you for your services ,espically it seems that way in th nfl.forget the loyal crap.

the steelers always did loose good players once they peaked because they wont pay,same with cowher he want's paid as a top teir coach period..

8 or 9 mill. he might just come..

not my first post had to re-register..

Guest Ghoolie

Bill Cowher wouldn't wipe his ass with Phil Sewage let alone work for him.

PULLLLLEEEZE, can we stop being stupid here?

NO QUALITY candidate will work for Phil Sewage FORGET ABOUT IT.

Archived