THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns coach Crennel says Brady Quinn remains the starting quarterback

Greythan

Cleveland Browns coach Crennel says Brady Quinn remains the starting quarterback

by Mary Kay Cabot Monday November 24, 2008, 1:00 PM

BEREA -- Browns coach Romeo Crennel said today that Brady Quinn is still his starting quarterback and that he's not on a short leash.

"It's not an issue because he's the quarterback,'' said Crennel. "We like the things he's shown us. We need to help him more going down the stretch. If we can do that, we might be able to win a game.''

Crennel re-iterated that he benched Quinn in the third quarter of Sunday's 16-6 loss to the Texans because of some misreads and because of his fractured right index finger.

"Because of some misreads and my knowledge of the finger situation, I decided to make the change,'' said Crennel. "If Derek Anderson had provided a spark, Brady Quinn would still be the starting quarterback.''

He said he told Quinn he had not lost his job, but that Quinn perhaps didn't fully grasp it because of his frustration.

Si.com's Peter King reported Monday morning that Quinn was told his problem "is not just a broken bone near the top of the index finger on his throwing hand. It's a damaged tendon, which makes it doubly difficult to spin the ball with the kind of rotation he usually has coming out of his right hand. You saw that against Houston Sunday, in his eight-of-18 performance before getting yanked for Derek Anderson.''

Crennel confirmed the damaged tendon.

Crennel declined to address rumors that he's gone after this season.

"My future is that I'm coaching for the next game,'' he said. "That's all that I can worry about.''

Man, I really want Quinn to succeed, but I'd be fibbing if I didn't admit all of this Ryan, Cassell and Flacco talk isn't bothering me.

I really wish RAC would have left Quinn in to see if he could have bounced back.

Lerner isn't Jerry Jones. He's not going to wake up the next morning, head into the office, and fire his head coach. He's just not firey like that.

I don't care that Quinn said the injury didn't affect his performance...you do not have a tendon injury in your index finger without it affecting the spin/trajectory of the passes.

This actually makes things a little more understandable....as the injury happened in the 1st quarter against the Bills. It would explain the passes not being as crisp and on target as they were in game 1....

So yes...lummy...it IS NOT an excuse...it is a VALID REASON!!!

Now, as for RAC....I don't see anyone on this team I would want as the interim. Nobody. So even though I hate what RAC is doing....I would rather to a complete review of all candidates and then make a decision instead of firing RAC now and making the end of the season a total debacle. At least keep things somewhat even so we can get a good read on BQ and some of the other players.

Any word on benching BE???

Screw this team, Im done watching as long as RAC is head coach.

Same here man I'm getting to that point quickly, this is pathetic. If I want to get angry on a Sunday I can always watch the Steelers.

This has nothing to do with being a real fan. It has to do with supporting your team and I'm supporting a fuking head coaching change by boycotting our idiot coach and the lazy ass piece of sh!t product he puts on the field with the help of Savagina so dont give me this you're not a real fan shit. Suck my d--k.

Nice! It sounds like you're a real fan. We'll see you again when they are playing well again. :angry:

Screw you, I have been watching this team my whole life lose. Im not a bandwagon fan if I was I wouldnt let every damn weekend be ruined by a team that gets paid millions to quit on the damn field every sunday. I am sick to death of rooting for losers and RAC is the biggest one of them all.

by Mary Kay Cabot Monday November 24, 2008, 1:00 PM

BEREA -- Browns coach Romeo Crennel said today that Brady Quinn is still his starting quarterback and that he's not on a short leash.

"It's not an issue because he's the quarterback,'' said Crennel. "We like the things he's shown us. We need to help him more going down the stretch. If we can do that, we might be able to win a game.''

Crennel re-iterated that he benched Quinn in the third quarter of Sunday's 16-6 loss to the Texans because of some misreads and because of his fractured right index finger.

"Because of some misreads and my knowledge of the finger situation, I decided to make the change,'' said Crennel. "If Derek Anderson had provided a spark, Brady Quinn would still be the starting quarterback.''

He said he told Quinn he had not lost his job, but that Quinn perhaps didn't fully grasp it because of his frustration.

Si.com's Peter King reported Monday morning that Quinn was told his problem "is not just a broken bone near the top of the index finger on his throwing hand. It's a damaged tendon, which makes it doubly difficult to spin the ball with the kind of rotation he usually has coming out of his right hand. You saw that against Houston Sunday, in his eight-of-18 performance before getting yanked for Derek Anderson.''

Crennel confirmed the damaged tendon.

Crennel declined to address rumors that he's gone after this season.

"My future is that I'm coaching for the next game,'' he said. "That's all that I can worry about.''

The fact that Crennel said if we can help him out that "we might be able to win a game" that quote right there says it all about what a complete and total loser Crennel has turned into.

Diehard fan here. I threatened my family that I was going to light a bonfire in my backyard and torch everything that said Cleveland Browns. Told a co-worker today that I am now going to root for the Ravens since they were the old Browns and are winining (not to mention a super bowl title). However, as I type this rant, I am wearing my Browns apparel and looking at my Bernie Kosar and Ozzie Newsome autograph photos. No matter how much I hate them this week and the next week for their crappy play and inept coaching, much like the last thirty-two years, I will always be in front of my NFL Sunday Ticket rooting for them while having a heart attack at the same time. The Browns are unique in the world of the NFL thats why they have a zillion fans around the globe. And count me as one of them for the rest of the time I am on this Earth.

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!! :D

Screw you, I have been watching this team my whole life lose. Im not a bandwagon fan if I was I wouldnt let every damn weekend be ruined by a team that gets paid millions to quit on the damn field every sunday. I am sick to death of rooting for losers and RAC is the biggest one of them all.

Okay, I just get frustrated with bandwagon fans. Some of the people who post here seem like they should be on an anti-Browns site like F The Browns

Let's keep it positive! Go Browns!

Guest 88fingerslewy

Cheering for the Browns is like being at your high school dance with a gym full of really hot chicks. Yet, song after song we ask the fat chick to dance hoping she might get better looking over time.

Truth is.... we all just have bad taste

Cheering for the Browns is like being at your high school dance with a gym full of really hot chicks. Yet, song after song we ask the fat chick to dance hoping she might get better looking over time.

Truth is.... we all just have bad taste

More bounce to the ounce bro

Nice! It sounds like you're a real fan. We'll see you again when they are playing well again. :angry:

And so long as you're willing to mindlessly buy the shit they throw out on the field each weak out of fear of becoming a "bad fan" there's no reason for anyone to improve the team.

Remember, the NFL is a buisness and we're the target consumer, and as long as we buy shit on a bun we'll keep on getting it.

I've been a Browns fan as long as I can remember (born in 76) and I'm sick of what I see every Sunday.

We have NOTHING on this team that makes me want to tune in and waste a couple of hours of my life anymore.

I can deal with losing, but watching the players AND coaches mail it in makes me sick and ashamed to be a fan.

As far as I'm concerned, cut the bulk of the lot, blow it up, start over and bring in some guys that play SMART and for the love of the game.

Archived