THE BROWNS BOARD

Miserable city?

The Gipper

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

One bad side of town or neighborhood or suburb can kind of ruin things for a ciy or region happens now all over the world.

Just look at South Chicago or the east side of Cleveland or South Central LA or many other cities now. 

There are areas of Houston and Dallas I would definitely have on my concealed 9mm (I have the license to carry).

17 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

You might more likely be killed for some other reasons.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:34 PM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

There are areas in our wonderful country that even our well armed and trained police won't go without backup.  Sad.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

There are areas in our wonderful country that even our well armed and trained police won't go without backup.  Sad.

Sherlock Holmes said that he would rather hang around some of the worst slums of London rather than be out into the countryside because he thought crime out there was far worse so maybe it’s the same in this country maybe the cities are safer than the country. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sherlock Holmes said that he would rather hang around some of the worst slums of London rather than be out into the countryside because he thought crime out there was far worse so maybe it’s the same in this country maybe the cities are safer than the country. 

The bayous of Louisiana hold a lot of secrets. James Lee Burke is an excellent crime novel writer that brings that to life in his "Dave Robicheaux" books. But the best kept secret is the deep woods of East Texas. Rumor has it that the mafia that operated in Galveston years ago loved to "visit" The Big Thicket" with their former "friends".

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrEeNuIjjldVAkA9wwPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=the+big+thicket+east+texas&fr=yhs-pty-pty_packages&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_packages#id=68&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmyrahmcilvain.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2F20100330143955old_big_thicket.png&action=click

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The bayous of Louisiana hold a lot of secrets. James Lee Burke is an excellent crime novel writer that brings that to life in his "Dave Robicheaux" books. But the best kept secret is the deep woods of East Texas. Rumor has it that the mafia that operated in Galveston years ago loved to "visit" The Big Thicket" with their former "friends".

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrEeNuIjjldVAkA9wwPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=the+big+thicket+east+texas&fr=yhs-pty-pty_packages&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_packages#id=68&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmyrahmcilvain.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2F20100330143955old_big_thicket.png&action=click

Yep, been there to the Big Thicket.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 2:35 PM, mjp28 said:

Well my old favorite Forbes magazine 20 happiest and unhappiest cities in 2019........hello Ohio?  

Top 20 Happiest Cities in America https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2019/03/12/20-happiest-and-20-unhappiest-cities-in-america/#7a6bad483a70

1. Plano, Texas
  2. Irvine, California
  3. Madison, Wisconsin
  4. Fremont, California
  5. Huntington Beach, California
  6. Fargo, North Dakota
  7. Grand Prairie, Texas
  8. San Jose, California
  9. Scottsdale, Arizona
  10. San Francisco, California
  11. Bismarck, North Dakota
  12. Overland Park, Kansas
  13. Santa Rosa, California
  14. Austin, Texas
  15. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
  16. Pearl City, Hawaii
  17. Glendale, California
  18. San Diego, California
  19. St. Paul, Minnesota
  20. Charleston, South Carolina

20 Unhappiest Cities in America

1. Detroit, Michigan
  2. Toledo, Ohio
  3. Charleston, West Virginia
  4. Birmingham, Alabama
  5. Cleveland, Ohio
  6. Gulfport, Mississippi
  7. Little Rock, Arkansas
  8. Huntington, West Virginia
  9. Newark, New Jersey
  10. Mobile, Alabama
  11. Augusta, Georgia
  12. St. Louis, Missouri
  13. Fort Smith, Arkansas
  14. Cincinnati, Ohio
  15. Akron, Ohio
  16. Fayetteville, North Carolina
  17. Columbus, Georgia
  18. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  19. Memphis, Tennessee
  20. Shreveport, Louisiana

How was happiness or unhappiness measured what did they use a massive mood ring. 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Can't argue with what he posted ..

It's old but at the time very relevant. There were 5 Ohio cities on the list in his link from Forbes.

The hell I can't argue with what he posted. Why  on earth would you ever think that bullshit is inarguable?

Again...here are the criteria that the article he posted used:

Our Misery Measure takes into account:

unemployment,

taxes (both sales and income),

commute times,

violent crime

and how its pro sports teams have fared over the past two years. We also factored in two indexes put together by Portland, Ore., researcher Bert Sperling that gauge

weather and

Superfund pollution sites.  (Superfund sites are ground pollution issues. Why is not air and water pollution a factor as well?

Lastly we considered corruption based on convictions of public officials in each area as tracked by the Public Integrity Section of the U.S. Department of Justice.  (I am trying to figure out how this particular matter has anything to do with overall happiness)

I guess I could go through these all again and demonstrate how Cleveland is NOT anywhere near at the top of these lists than many, many other cities. 

If I were to get updated to 2018 data....similar to what I had put on here before, again, I can guarantee that a city like San Diego suffers even worse in all these categories than does Cleveland.  Hell...as I said, they had another sports team leave town....where Cleveland had teams in the sports championship finals 5 times in the last  5-6 years. 

Unemployment for 2019:

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Cleveland at  4.7%.  About average for all US metro areas.

All of the following had higher:

Danville, IL Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.7 308

Elizabethtown-Fort Knox, KY Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.7 308

New Bern, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.7 308

Waterbury, CT Metropolitan NECTA

4.7 308

Wheeling, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.7 308

Clarksville, TN-KY Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Goldsboro, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Greensboro-High Point, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Memphis, TN-MS-AR Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Salinas, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.8 316

Baton Rouge, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.9 323

East Stroudsburg, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.9 323

Prescott, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area

4.9 323

Bay City, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.0 326

Beckley, WV Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.0 326

Decatur, IL Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.0 326

New Orleans-Metairie, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.0 326

Tucson, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.0 326

Grants Pass, OR Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.1 331

Saginaw, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.1 331

Sebring, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.1 331

Walla Walla, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.1 331

Bremerton-Silverdale, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Chico, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Greenville, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Hattiesburg, MS Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Homosassa Springs, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Houma-Thibodaux, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Lafayette, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Parkersburg-Vienna, WV Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

The Villages, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.2 335

Albuquerque, NM Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Jackson, MS Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Jacksonville, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Johnstown, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Kennewick-Richland, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Olympia-Tumwater, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Rockford, IL Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.3 344

Bellingham, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.4 351

Fairbanks, AK Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.4 351

Flint, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.4 351

Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.4 351

Pine Bluff, AR Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.4 351

Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.5 356

Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.6 357

Brownsville-Harlingen, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.6 357

Spokane-Spokane Valley, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.6 357

Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.6 357

Alexandria, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.7 361

Anchorage, AK Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.7 361

Fayetteville, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.7 361

Shreveport-Bossier City, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.7 361

Monroe, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.8 365

Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.8 365

Cumberland, MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.9 367

Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS Metropolitan Statistical Area

5.9 367

Stockton-Lodi, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.0 369

Flagstaff, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.1 370

Rocky Mount, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.1 370

Hammond, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.2 372

McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.2 372

Yakima, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.2 372

Farmington, NM Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.3 375

Lake Havasu City-Kingman, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.3 375

Las Cruces, NM Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.3 375

Sierra Vista-Douglas, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.3 375

Modesto, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.5 379

Longview, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.7 380

Yuba City, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

6.7 380

Madera, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

7.0 382

Fresno, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

7.1 383

Hanford-Corcoran, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

7.9 384

Bakersfield, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

8.0 385

Merced, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

8.1 386

Visalia-Porterville, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

9.1 387

El Centro, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

18.6 388

Yuma, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Sports "misery".   

While Cleveland could have had this claim for a while....it is no longer the case:

Cavs  4 straight finals and a title.  Indians in the World Series.

Compare to these:  

San Diego...no title since 1963.  Two teams left town.   Clippers/Chargers

Buffalo...no title since 1965.

Milwaukee...no title since 1971....unless you count the Packers

Portland...not title since 1977

Salt Lake City....no title since early 70s

While these are newer markets....places like Charlotte/Nashville/Memphis/Orlando/Jacksonville/Las Vegas/OK City/ and others have never had a team win a title.

Weather:

Highly...highly subjective.  

I have ALWAYS said a winter in Cleveland is better than a summer anywhere in the south.

Here is one opinion....which includes bad cold weather cities, and bad hot weather cities:

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/these-30-places-have-the-worst-weather-in-america-51814#lubbock-weather

So...Cleveland better than Houston/LA/Orlando/Jacksonville/Tampa/Portland/Seattle/New Orleans/Mobile/Dallas/Las Vegas/Phoenix/Tuscon

So  Bob Vila agrees essentially with me.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The hell I can't argue with what he posted. Why  on earth would you ever think that bullshit is inarguable?

Why? I'm not a blind homer, .. Plus it was damn near 10 yrs ago..  Who gives a shit?

The man posted a link to a Forbes list as of 2010.. This was at the time when you started this misguided thread.. There ARE 5 Ohio cities on that Forbes list...  You stated " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine".. I don't know who this guy is/was or if he was the "peckerwood troll" you referred to because this was before my time here.. But the man DID break it off in your ass with proof.. That much is inarguable.. And THAT was my point...All the rest has been silly deflection...

Why use a one time puppet name of baseballboomhaue? No idea.. Maybe the Forbes writer's last name holds a clue.. Perhaps he simply wanted to escape the pointless rage googling...

15 minutes ago, Axe said:

Why? I'm not a blind homer, .. Plus it was damn near 10 yrs ago..  Who gives a shit?

You, apparently...since you keep bringing it up.

The man posted a link to a Forbes list as of 2010.. This was at the time when you started this misguided thread.. There ARE 5 Ohio cities on that Forbes list...  You stated " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine".. I don't know who this guy is/was or if he was the "peckerwood troll" you referred to because this was before my time here.. But the man DID break it off in your ass with proof.. That much is inarguable.. And THAT was my point...All the rest has been silly deflection...

Why use a one time puppet name of baseballboomhaue? No idea.. Maybe the Forbes writer's last name holds a clue.. Perhaps he simply wanted to escape the pointless rage googling...

Does your obtuseness know no bounds.  Forbes...or whomever can claim whatever they want...and I am free to challenge what they claim...based on their own criteria.   I challenged it then and showed it was BS...based on their own criteria....and I challenged it again just now...8-9 years later...based on their own criteria, and again showed that it was BS. 

You say, apparently that you can't argue with what someone says.....simply because they say it.  Why then, Can I make any unsubstantiated statement about anything and have you declare it incapable or being argued with?

I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? :lol:

(by the way, the same said Forbes magazine stated that my son's school, Kenyon, had the most beautiful college campus in the world.  I didn't disagree with that.....but maybe other would.   So, you see, it can all be subjective sometimes.  But when you set out specific criteria...and do NOT adhere to that...you are subject to challenge.

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I keep bringing it up? WTF are you talking about?

You posted " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine ""..

Then someone  posted a link to the Forbes magazine article in which 5  Ohio cities" WERE listed!! Talk about obtuse.. 🤣

I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? :lol:

I honestly wouldn't give a shit. You get used to people that don't like what you do along with those that do.. As long as those that do greatly outnumber those that don't then I'm happy..

Here.. I'll prove I'm a shitty guitarist.. The latest release "Against My Will"

21 minutes ago, Axe said:

I keep bringing it up? WTF are you talking about?

You posted " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine ""..

Then someone  posted a link to the Forbes magazine article in which 5  Ohio cities" WERE listed!! Talk about obtuse.. 🤣

I honestly wouldn't give a shit. You get used to people that don't like what you do along with those that do.. As long as those that do greatly outnumber those that don't then I'm happy..

Here.. I'll prove I'm a shitty guitarist.. The latest release "Against My Will"

You know that I was just yanking your chain with the guitar comment 

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You know that I was just yanking your chain with the guitar comment 

Oh absolutely ;)

And any publicity is good publicity B)

Let me rephrase that, I try not to miss an opportunity to promote our wares :D