THE BROWNS BOARD

Rothlicksbooger wasn't liked by 60% of the steeler team

calfoxwc

Roethlisberger wasn't a popular Steeler, even before all this

Some former Pittsburgh Steelers teammates are kicking Ben Roethlisberger(notes) while he's down, telling ESPN that Roethlisberger wasn't well-liked in the locker room while they were there.

Kelly Naqi did a story for ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this weekend, focusing on Roethlisberger's image and reputation. She talked to former Steelers running back Najeh Davenport(notes), former Steelers safety about Mike Logan(notes), and some other people around the area. Here are some of the highlights.

• Davenport estimated that about 60 percent of the locker room felt like Roethlisberger thought he was "bigger than the team," and not focused on winning.

• Davenport also discussed a time when Joey Porter(notes) called out Roethlisberger in a team meeting for being the last one in to practice and the first one to leave. Porter also accused Roethlisberger of not being dedicated to the team, and criticized him for not fraternizing with his teammates.

• Mike Logan confirmed the incident where Porter addressed Roethlisberger, and said that all the things Porter mentioned were already being talked about in the locker room.

• Someone identified only as "a close friend of a Steelers player" said that the reason Roethlisberger had a bodyguard was because of an incident where a man put a gun to Roethlisberger's head because Roethlisberger was involved with the man's girlfriend.

• Naqi spoke with people who work at Pittsburgh bars and nightclubs, and they described Ben as someone who was condescending to the staffs and rude to other customers. One bar owner said Roethlisberger always expected he and his entourage to be given free food and drinks.

Roethlisberger wouldn't talk to ESPN for the story, and neither would Joey Porter. Roethlisberger did release a statement today about his suspension, though, apologizing to his teammates and fans and vowing to comply with the terms of the suspension.

This is the kind of report that wouldn't ever see the light of day if there weren't some other dastardly story about the guy. That's not to say that it isn't true -- Kelly Naqi's a fine reporter -- but is it a big deal? Should we care?

After all, no one said anything about Roethlisberger-related locker room troubles when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls. Maybe this is just a mountain-out-of-a-molehill thing that surfaces now, because it's convenient and fits the "Roethlisberger as dirtball" narrative.

If there's any practical issue here, I think it's this: If Roethlisberger has to mend some fences in the Steelers locker room, perhaps it'll be even tougher than expected. If someone didn't like him before the sexual assault allegations, it's hard to imagine they'll warm up to the guy now, no matter what he does.

We'll just have to wait and see how that plays out. Locker rooms have been divided over less.

Related: Ben Roethlisberger, Joey Porter, Pittsburgh Steelers

<H2 class=title property="dc:title">Roethlisberger wasn't a popular Steeler, even before all this</H2>By MJD

[/color]Follow Yahoo! Sports' NFL blog, Shutdown Corner, on Facebook.

Some former Pittsburgh Steelers teammates are kicking Ben Roethlisberger(notes) while he's down, telling ESPN that Roethlisberger wasn't well-liked in the locker room while they were there.

Kelly Naqi did a story for ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this weekend, focusing on Roethlisberger's image and reputation. She talked to former Steelers running back Najeh Davenport(notes), former Steelers safety about Mike Logan(notes), and some other people around the area. Here are some of the highlights.

• Davenport estimated that about 60 percent of the locker room felt like Roethlisberger thought he was "bigger than the team," and not focused on winning.

• Davenport also discussed a time when Joey Porter(notes) called out Roethlisberger in a team meeting for being the last one in to practice and the first one to leave. Porter also accused Roethlisberger of not being dedicated to the team, and criticized him for not fraternizing with his teammates.

• Mike Logan confirmed the incident where Porter addressed Roethlisberger, and said that all the things Porter mentioned were already being talked about in the locker room.

• Someone identified only as "a close friend of a Steelers player" said that the reason Roethlisberger had a bodyguard was because of an incident where a man put a gun to Roethlisberger's head because Roethlisberger was involved with the man's girlfriend.

• Naqi spoke with people who work at Pittsburgh bars and nightclubs, and they described Ben as someone who was condescending to the staffs and rude to other customers. One bar owner said Roethlisberger always expected he and his entourage to be given free food and drinks.

Roethlisberger wouldn't talk to ESPN for the story, and neither would Joey Porter. Roethlisberger did release a statement today about his suspension, though, apologizing to his teammates and fans and vowing to comply with the terms of the suspension.

This is the kind of report that wouldn't ever see the light of day if there weren't some other dastardly story about the guy. That's not to say that it isn't true -- Kelly Naqi's a fine reporter -- but is it a big deal? Should we care?

After all, no one said anything about Roethlisberger-related locker room troubles when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls. Maybe this is just a mountain-out-of-a-molehill thing that surfaces now, because it's convenient and fits the "Roethlisberger as dirtball" narrative.

If there's any practical issue here, I think it's this: If Roethlisberger has to mend some fences in the Steelers locker room, perhaps it'll be even tougher than expected. If someone didn't like him before the sexual assault allegations, it's hard to imagine they'll warm up to the guy now, no matter what he does.

We'll just have to wait and see how that plays out. Locker rooms have been divided over less.

Related: Ben Roethlisberger, Joey Porter, Pittsburgh Steelers

FYI this isn't anything new. It's been public knowledge at least with the Steeler fan base for over a year. It's just coming out on a more national level beause of the rest of the mess recently created. Big Ben will serve his suspension and hopefully will return with mimimal rust. I'm not at all worried about the Steelers. Chicken little doesn't reside in Pittsburgh.

When is the roth jerseys burning ? I hope most steeler fans show up, and the media is there.

Seriously, it's sad so many Steeler fans find all this out, and regret that their kids looked up to rothlicksbooger

and wore his jersey number.

"Not no more" I think.

It takes great or mad parenting skills to buy a kid a rottenburger jersey. :lol:

I figure if I was going to get a jersey by a guy that wore #7, it had better be Mickey Mantle.

Yea, Mantle was a drinker and a carouser, but by all indications he was beloved by all, especially by the "little people" he came into contact with. Instead of expecting to be given free food and drinks for himself and his whole party, Mantle was probably the kind of guy to buy the entire bar a round or two.

I figure if I was going to get a jersey by a guy that wore #7, it had better be Mickey Mantle.

Yea, Mantle was a drinker and a carouser, but by all indications he was beloved by all, especially by the "little people" he came into contact with. Instead of expecting to be given free food and drinks for himself and his whole party, Mantle was probably the kind of guy to buy the entire bar a round or two

Yes he was. The Mick was beloved by all. He had the charm to carry a clubhouse (and a marriage for that matter) despite his flaws.

60% hated The Rapist?

Well, I can't imagine it's any less now.

Yes he was. The Mick was beloved by all. He had the charm to carry a clubhouse (and a marriage for that matter) despite his flaws.

60% hated The Rapist?

Well, I can't imagine it's any less now.

Cant Imagine why it matters so much to YOU .

Cant Imagine why it matters so much to YOU .

I'll tell you why it matters Einstein.

It matters because I'm the father of a nine year-old girl who couldn't imagine some self-adoring, drunken, multi-millionaire trying to ply her and her college friends with alcohol so that he could score with her. It's not that simple though because rape isn't about sex. It's a power-crime. The problem with this guy is that he doesn't value women as people. He sees them as objects. He puts himself into these situations because he WANTS to.

That's why it matters to me....much like being on a Browns' board matters so much to YOU.

It matters because I'm the father of a nine year-old girl who couldn't imagine some self-adoring, drunken, multi-millionaire trying to ply her and her college friends with alcohol so that he could score with her. It's not that simple though because rape isn't about sex. It's a power-crime. The problem with this guy is that he doesn't value women as people. He sees them as objects. He puts himself into these situations because he WANTS to.

That's why it matters to me....much like being on a Browns' board matters so much to YOU.

Amusing. Is your 9 year old daughter when she's in college going to walk around a bar underage with "DTF" on her shirt? Is she going to follow a NFL superstar through 3 different bars with her own entourage continuously throwing herself at the player in question? Did you happen to read the one former sorority president and now advisors comments in one of the press releases about how most girls that are now members of sororities use alcohol as a means to be sexually aggressive? It's easy to paint this girl as the victim and if all of the above weren't factors maybe she would have actually been a victim. However all of the above was VERY PRESENT and one of the exact reasons there wasn't a case, well that and next to no DNA evidence anywhere, as well as several eye witness reports. Oh and in case you aren't aware "DTF" stands for "DOWN TO F.UCK"... classy group of ladies.

Yes Big Ben had no business being involved but he was and now he's suspended. He's getting his second chance and I'd bank on him making the most of it. I don't give a sh.it if you have a daughter. College sluts are abundant something I can speak on first hand. Women are painted as the weaker sex but in situations like these it's the GIRL with the agenda. PERIOD. SOooo amazingly tired of the "I have a daughter argument" Shut the f.uck up.

EDIT: Those same "innocent young women" viewed Big Ben as a object. A multi-millionaire with a responsibility problem. Oh the innocent slutty co-eds. lol

Amusing. Is your 9 year old daughter when she's in college going to walk around a bar underage with "DTF" on her shirt? Is she going to follow a NFL superstar through 3 different bars with her own entourage continuously throwing herself at the player in question? Did you happen to read the one former sorority president and now advisors comments in one of the press releases about how most girls that are now members of sororities use alcohol as a means to be sexually aggressive? It's easy to paint this girl as the victim and if all of the above weren't factors maybe she would have actually been a victim. However all of the above was VERY PRESENT and one of the exact reasons there wasn't a case, well that and next to no DNA evidence anywhere, as well as several eye witness reports. Oh and in case you aren't aware "DTF" stands for "DOWN TO F.UCK"... classy group of ladies.

Yes Big Ben had no business being involved but he was and now he's suspended. He's getting his second chance and I'd bank on him making the most of it. I don't give a sh.it if you have a daughter. College sluts are abundant something I can speak on first hand. Women are painted as the weaker sex but in situations like these it's the GIRL with the agenda. PERIOD. SOooo amazingly tired of the "I have a daughter argument" Shut the f.uck up.

EDIT: Those same "innocent young women" viewed Big Ben as a object. A multi-millionaire with a responsibility problem. Oh the innocent slutty co-eds. lol

They may have an agenda but he keeps allowing it to happen. You have no right to be foul-mouthed about it. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

You have to remember that Big Ben is 28 year old, and is an adult. And this is a guy who is supposed to be a role model. He goes into bars and gets girls drunk. Think about it. Who wouldn't want their daughter around this guy?

They may have an agenda but he keeps allowing it to happen. You have no right to be foul-mouthed about it. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

I apologize for my final declaration. I shouldn't have told you to STFU but I'm more than tired of the "daughter" argument. It's a argument that CANNOT be made unless of course you choose to be naive to the "slut culture" that runs rampant through EVERY college in the United States. I went to a catholic school my freshman year. I was on a sports scholarship and even at the "blessed" catholic school girls were throwing themselves all over the place. I could have gotten myself in to A LOT of trouble but I've always been a relationship guy and not the "one night stand" type. Thankfully by not being a total "jiggalo" I ended up with a fantastic gf that I'm still with to this day. Had I decided to be a dog she may not have given me the time of day. Girls are ridiculously aggressive these days, especially when alcohol is involved. The situation that got Ben suspended is no different. Trust me.

You have to remember that Big Ben is 28 year old, and is an adult. And this is a guy who is supposed to be a role model. He goes into bars and gets girls drunk. Think about it. Who wouldn't want their daughter around this guy?

He's been given a chance to change and I think he will. I agree 100% on him being a dog in this regard. He tried to pick up my sister two years ago. She told him "she wasn't interested in being a part of the meat market".

He'll come full circle, I whole heartedly believe that and once again Sorry earl for cussing you out.

He's been given a chance to change and I think he will. I agree 100% on him being a dog in this regard. He tried to pick up my sister two years ago. She told him "she wasn't interested in being a part of the meat market".

He'll come full circle, I whole heartedly believe that and once again Sorry earl for cussing you out.

Wait you're serious?

Wait you're serious?

Serious about what? That I think he'll change under the suspension and the possibility of ruining his NFL career, absolutely. I don't believe we'll be hearing about Big Ben from a negative stand point in the news again. If we do he's no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I apologize for my final declaration. I shouldn't have told you to STFU but I'm more than tired of the "daughter" argument. It's a argument that CANNOT be made unless of course you choose to be naive to the "slut culture" that runs rampant through EVERY college in the United States. I went to a catholic school my freshman year. I was on a sports scholarship and even at the "blessed" catholic school girls were throwing themselves all over the place. I could have gotten myself in to A LOT of trouble but I've always been a relationship guy and not the "one night stand" type. Thankfully by not being a total "jiggalo" I ended up with a fantastic gf that I'm still with to this day. Had I decided to be a dog she may not have given me the time of day. Girls are ridiculously aggressive these days, especially when alcohol is involved. The situation that got Ben suspended is no different. Trust me.

My wife works in college health. Trust me when I say I know exactly what you're talking about. As much as he was targeted, he also forced the issue. Perhaps he was set up but the point is that this isn't the first time he's found himself in this situation and it's not the first woman who's brought these types of allegations. The daughter argument is irrelevant; you're right. He's been an asshole in his own right (and my having a daughter doesn't change that). This guy has a lot of growing up to do and a lot of responsibility to assume. You have to have your locker room's support. If Ben is this selfish (and I have no problem believing that he is) then his stay in the Burgh won't be for much longer because Tomlin and the Rooneys won't put up with his crap. Reading the affadavits, it's entirely clear that he has no respect for women (whether they deserve it or not).

My wife works in college health. Trust me when I say I know exactly what you're talking about. As much as he was targeted, he also forced the issue. Perhaps he was set up but the point is that this isn't the first time he's found himself in this situation and it's not the first woman who's brought these types of allegations. The daughter argument is irrelevant; you're right. He's been an asshole in his own right (and my having a daughter doesn't change that). This guy has a lot of growing up to do and a lot of responsibility to assume. You have to have your locker room's support. If Ben is this selfish (and I have no problem believing that he is) then his stay in the Burgh won't be for much longer because Tomlin and the Rooneys won't put up with his crap. Reading the affadavits, it's entirely clear that he has no respect for women (whether they deserve it or not).

I just hope it all changes and I think it will, if it doesn't the Steelers will cut him without hesitation. I agree with everything you said by the way. A lot of people in Pittsburgh do.

EDIT: ANd I don't believe the "divided locker room" scenario is a factor any longer. He said a while ago that he was a bad teammate and I believe he's worked hard over the last few years to change that...the stuff popping up involving Porter and Davenport is obviously old.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Looks like Big Bens crumblin down, gotta love it!!

he'll be booed by his own fans next year, I hope his suspension is only 4 games so we can beat his ass

-----

PS. Why our so many stoohler fan on our board?, its a disgrace. I dont care if some of them are nice. They are steeler fans!!

I am the Father of TWO teenaged Girls. I raise them to stay the Hell outta clubs and tell them to Do stuff that you wouldnt mind doing If God himself as standing next to you. Ben Roethlisberger is a Product of our culture. And is FAR from alone.... while NOT a Rapist he is lurking to "get some" ..hmmm.. Thank you Mr. Heffner and those who treat women as objects Yet are Lauded by society. The Freaking HS your Daughter will go to and My Daughters HS has guys like Ben. Trained up by our culture to "Satisfy" thier every whim. And yes let go over WHY Steeler fans frequent your board AGAIN. Stop obsessing with ALL Things Steeler and we will lose interest. Its really that simple.

I wish to hell that slut culture had been around when I was in college. I mean, excuse me but are you really trying to play the "aggressively sexual female" card as an excuse for BR? Maybe he should have stayed home and away from all those predatory females.

I wish to hell that slut culture had been around when I was in college. I mean, excuse me but are you really trying to play the "aggressively sexual female" card as an excuse for BR? Maybe he should have stayed home and away from all those predatory females.

Did I say it was exclusive to Big Ben? I encountered it plenty and if you actually READ my post that point was pretty clear. I could have gotten in to A LOT of trouble in college because of the "slut culture" that was abundant. I guess at the same time I was/am a jock, in great shape, dressed well and like to think I'm not an asshole so the "sluts" certainly aren't available to everyone. BIg Ben was/is most definitely a target and one that was willing to participate and his willingness is the very reason he's now in trouble. He'll turn it around.

Ben Roethlisberger is a Guy who grew up as a teen , going to his "Youth Group" , going to Sunday Services with his Parents. He became a Star... Got drafted ...became a Bigger Star ... Won a couple SBs and became a Bigger Yet Star. All the while fading away from the Values he grew up with. Money and Fame ... poisoned him . Add to that a Single Guy with Hot young ladies offering it up ... Yikes. Add the liquid Spirits ( Thank you Jamie Foxx and others nice message to the Youth of America "Blame it on the Al..al..al..al..al...Alchohol" SO Very responsible of You) Its all a recipe for SIN and Sickness. And WHO hasnt , doesnt struggle with the Vices of life.

The bottom line is Ben can Change... now its up to him . But hes no worse than Many guys posting here now , many in accusatory fashion. Its hard to live right and the More $$$$$ and Fame you have , the tougher it is. Time to step up and live right.

well The Guy has Raped nobody or he would be LOCKED up. Thats bottom line. The World watched this ... the Georgia Authorities were not gonna screw this up. It time for Ben to Stand up and be the person he was raised to be. And Who in here didnt improve as a person , between the ages of 28 and 32 ?? I Know I did. Lets see what happens. I am sure you guys are too bitter to listen to reason ...but here we go anyways.

It is certainly more prevalent today than "Back in the day ".

well The Guy has Raped nobody or he would be LOCKED up. Thats bottom line.

You don't know this anymore than I know he did do it..... It's simply a case where there were the facts were not there for the DA to charge him and take him to trial.

The bottom line is that this guy is not a quality human being, regardless how he was raised.

You don't know this anymore than I know he did do it..... It's simply a case where there were the facts were not there for the DA to charge him and take him to trial.

The bottom line is that this guy is not a quality human being, regardless how he was raised.

INVESTIGATED ... Not Charged. Thats pretty cut and Dry. Even OJ was sent to Trial... this isnt a Guy who was charged and "Got Off" . He wasn't even Charged. As a Nation watched and waited t Judge the Police. They still couldn't Charge him. No Rape. And I aint happy that he was even, in the process , of "Doing " a girl in a Restroom. Its ridiculous , to behave like that . Classless... wrong. But He is a Human being , bent toward doing whats wrong (as we all are to a point) . He can change the course of his life. And like it of not ... if they could change him them certainly would have. They couldn't ... and The whole "College Slut" thing carries a lot of weight. Its an epidemic. DOESN'T Make it right for a man to take advantage of it , but Many would. He now has opportunity to Change the course of his life.

I never said it was news...the point was to contonuoisly illustrate the mental gymnastics tequired for you to continiously defend the rapist. You assume a lack of charges implies no wrong doing....

You get sick of daughtet excuse in the same way I'm sick of the slutty money grubbing whore excuse. If ben dodnt act the complete moron, and prey on the youngings he couldn't land when he wad their age, they wouldn't get a chance to run him over.

You reap what you sow....its clear he uses his fame to get laid, and he pays for silence. When he doesn't, they take it to the courts

Spin it however ya want...you harbor and defend a douchebag of the highest caliber for nothing more than braggong rights in a sport. What else do ya have to hang your hat on....ketchup?

Did I say it was exclusive to Big Ben? I encountered it plenty and if you actually READ my post that point was pretty clear. I could have gotten in to A LOT of trouble in college because of the "slut culture" that was abundant. I guess at the same time I was/am a jock, in great shape, dressed well and like to think I'm not an asshole so the "sluts" certainly aren't available to everyone. BIg Ben was/is most definitely a target and one that was willing to participate and his willingness is the very reason he's now in trouble. He'll turn it around.

Honestly, I don't really care if he does or doesn't. He ain't my friend, he ain't my family. I don't care if he is a rapist or an altar boy (or both). I only care that he lose games for the Steelers. And I only care about that because they compete in the same division as the Browns.

Archived