THE BROWNS BOARD

Carlton Mitchell

CLEVELandMILIDH

Braylon is a poor man's Carlton Mitchell! Who is that QB? Dude made some throws!

Matt Grothe and BJ Daniels. Grothe is the Big East Career leader for total offensive yardage. Best thing to happen to USF, but he got injured last year early so BJ Daniels came in. Daniels played the FSU game.

Matt Grothe and BJ Daniels. Grothe is the Big East Career leader for total offensive yardage. Best thing to happen to USF, but he got injured last year early so BJ Daniels came in. Daniels played the FSU game.

Whoever #8 is. I like that kid!

The music sucked.

Yeah it did, but We may of just found that deep threat guy to stretch the field with this pick. Lets see if he will be able to get some seperation between himself and pro DB's then we will grade this pick with an A+

Mitchell chosen at No. 177

Matt Florjancic, Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Posted Apr 24, 2010

aaThe Browns chose South Florida WR Carlton Mitchell with the 177th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

The Browns got a big offensive target with the 177th pick overall in the form of 6-foot-3 wide receiver Carlton Mitchell from the University of South Florida.

After a strong junior season, Mitchell gave up his final year of eligibility. Now he finds himself with a chance to make an impact for the Browns offense.

“I’m told this is the perfect team, the perfect fit for me,” said Mitchell. “I’m very excited and feel very blessed to be in this situation. I just can’t wait to get there and start working.

“I stand by my decision,” he added. “I have no regrets in life. I have a love and passion for the sport and I’m ready for anything. I’m ready to go in and start working right now.”

Mitchell played in 37 games over three years with the Bulls after red-shirting in 2006. He started 18 of those games, including 10 during the 2009 season. He caught 40 passes for a school-record 706 yards and 4 touchdowns in his final season at South Florida.

He gave the Bulls a big-play threat at the wide receiver position and averaged 15.7 yards-per-reception over his three years in the program. He holds three of the top 11 longest receptions in South Florida football history.

“I played in a run-first offense and we based a lot of things off the quarterback,” said Mitchell. “Everyone played a part; it was a timing offense. Whatever role that was given to me, that’s all I could ask for. At the end of the day, I just tried to listen to my coaches and try to help the team win games.”

Mitchell comes from an athletic pedigree.

His father, Carl, played professional basketball in Europe. Mitchell’s mother, Angela, serves as the “cut-man” for several boxers, most notably former Ring, IBF, WBC and IBO light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver.

“It’s pretty exciting,” Mitchell said. “Watching boxing on TV and watching it in person, it’s a whole different speed. Being around the athletes and see the way they compete is amazing.”

Mitchell chosen at No. 177

Matt Florjancic, Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Posted Apr 24, 2010

aaThe Browns chose South Florida WR Carlton Mitchell with the 177th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

The Browns got a big offensive target with the 177th pick overall in the form of 6-foot-3 wide receiver Carlton Mitchell from the University of South Florida.

After a strong junior season, Mitchell gave up his final year of eligibility. Now he finds himself with a chance to make an impact for the Browns offense.

“I’m told this is the perfect team, the perfect fit for me,” said Mitchell. “I’m very excited and feel very blessed to be in this situation. I just can’t wait to get there and start working.

“I stand by my decision,” he added. “I have no regrets in life. I have a love and passion for the sport and I’m ready for anything. I’m ready to go in and start working right now.”

Mitchell played in 37 games over three years with the Bulls after red-shirting in 2006. He started 18 of those games, including 10 during the 2009 season. He caught 40 passes for a school-record 706 yards and 4 touchdowns in his final season at South Florida.

He gave the Bulls a big-play threat at the wide receiver position and averaged 15.7 yards-per-reception over his three years in the program. He holds three of the top 11 longest receptions in South Florida football history.

“I played in a run-first offense and we based a lot of things off the quarterback,” said Mitchell. “Everyone played a part; it was a timing offense. Whatever role that was given to me, that’s all I could ask for. At the end of the day, I just tried to listen to my coaches and try to help the team win games.”

Mitchell comes from an athletic pedigree.

His father, Carl, played professional basketball in Europe. Mitchell’s mother, Angela, serves as the “cut-man” for several boxers, most notably former Ring, IBF, WBC and IBO light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver.

“It’s pretty exciting,” Mitchell said. “Watching boxing on TV and watching it in person, it’s a whole different speed. Being around the athletes and see the way they compete is amazing.”

Here's another good article

2010 NFL Draft Results: Is Cleveland Browns' Carlton Mitchell the Next Colston?

by Daniel Wolf Written on April 24, 2010

With their first of two sixth round picks in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns selected South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchell.

First of all, Mitchell is a developmental project at receiver, just like any other sixth round pick in the draft so don't look for him to make any major contributions in the 2010 season.

The Browns have a promising, but young group of wide receivers on their roster and Mitchell may be one of the most intriguing prospects in the group now that he will be wearing the orange and brown.

At 6'3" and 215 pounds, Mitchell is the perfect standard height and weight when it comes to being a possible top-notch receiver per NFL standards.

Playing at a smaller college like South Florida, Mitchell may not be prepared to face NFL-caliber cornerbacks, but then again who would have thought that Saints receiver Marques Colston would be as successful as he has been being a seventh round pick himself.

Colston played for Hostra, which is a smaller school as well and he is of similar height and weight to Mitchell.

Granted this comparison is a very loose one, but Colston was very confident and motivated after getting passed over by all over team for six-plus rounds which led to his success in his NFL career thus-far.

Mitchell needs to mirror himself after what Colston has done and perhaps even find his number to call for advice.

If Mitchell can follow the same or at the very least a similar path as Colston did, he could make many opposing teams hate the fact they passed on him and endure himself to Browns fans everywhere by focusing himself to be one of the best.

He certainly has the size, skill, and speed to do so too.

Let's just just hope that Mitchell can be everything we thought Braylon Edwards was supposed to be for the Browns' offense in the future.

If Mitchell can follow the same or at the very least a similar path as Colston did, he could make many opposing teams hate the fact they passed on him and endure himself to Browns fans everywhere by focusing himself to be one of the best. Daniel Wolfe.

With his work ethic, I am sure he will quickly be noticed and ENDEAR himself to Browns fans everywhere,

as we ENDURE Daniel using the wrong word once in a while.

one thing that i can't find is how his speed is. i'm guessing for a 6th round pick, it's in the 4.6 range. otherwise, he would have gone sooner.

nevermind. i googled it and it said he ran a 4.49. that's a really solid time. why didn't this guy go a lot sooner in the draft?

The chance of any of our picks in rounds 5-7 making teh team are very slim. The same goes for the undrafted Free Agents. But you at least when you look at these guys you get a clear vision of what the team saw in them and that makes me feel good about Mangini and Heckert. Mitchell looks incredibly talented and pretty fricken fast. You can't really tell how well he runs routes or reads zones, but from that footage but you can see that he gets open a lot. And considering he was their only WR, that makes me feel good.

nevermind. i googled it and it said he ran a 4.49. that's a really solid time. why didn't this guy go a lot sooner in the draft?
small school, unimpressive numbers (with good reason imo), different team needs, how they set-up their board and who on it fell, prioritizing things like character and toughness differently than H3 and EM did...all these things and many more could explain why he fell.

Mitchell did what was asked of him at USF. USF was a run first school. They rotated 3-4 backs constantly and had a scrambling QB when he was there.

I've heard complaints about his route running, which may be true. But the guy can get open and catch the ball. Something the Browns receivers haven't been able to do often, whether that was QB fault or not. I'm not saying he's going to be great, but he has great potential to develop into a great slot receiver.

Draft Diary: Mitchell's dream realized

Carlton Mitchell works out at minicamp for the Cleveland Browns.

Carlton Mitchell watched as 19 wide receivers were selected before him in last weekend's NFL draft.

At his mom's house in Tampa, Mitchell kept rotating between different locations, trying to be patient and remind himself that finding a team that was the right fit was more important than where he was selected.

An hour in front of the TV. A half-hour in his room, trying to take a nap. A few minutes on the balcony.

"Watching that clock come down and players getting picked, it does something to your mind," he said.

And then the call came around 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon, during the sixth round.

"I was sitting on the couch, thinking that the first team that calls me is going to be making the best decision of their life," Mitchell said. "I was kind of mad at other teams for passing me up and just wanted to use that as motivation. As soon as that thought went through my head, Cleveland called."

As Mitchell answered, friends and relatives let loose. After watching the draft for more than 10 hours, their time had come.

"My mom was very excited. She was screaming," Mitchell said with a laugh. "I don’t know who she started calling. She started calling somebody. It was a very exciting moment."

With the Browns, Mitchell gets a shot to have an immediate impact for a team with a giant need at wide receiver. Cleveland's leading wideout last year was rookie Mohammed Massaquoi, who had 34 catches for 624 yards and three touchdowns. The second-leading wide receiver was Chansi Stuckey, who had just 19 catches for 198 yards.

Mitchell said he isn't too familiar with Ohio, but in the age of social networking, it didn't take long for the fans to introduce themselves to him. During the draft process, he always joked with his agent and friends about starting a Twitter account once he got selected. It didn't take long for members of the Dawg Pound to start following and welcome him to Cleveland.

"The fans have already been amazing," he said. "They welcomed me with open arms. As soon as I set up my Twitter account, a whole bunch of Cleveland people started congratulating me and showing me support."

Minicamp is already under way, and so begins the next chapter in Mitchell's career. From Florida to Ohio. The Big East to the AFC North. The South Florida Bulls to the Cleveland Browns.

"This is a very exciting time," he said. "All I wanted was an opportunity, and now I'm ready to take it and run with it. My dream's coming true."

more re: Carlton Mitchell

Did you mean CM is a poor mans Braylon?
um...i'm pretty sure he didn't. ;)

a physical specimen with solid hands, immense heart, high character, AND leadership ability?!? awww Heck, Mangini...and it's not even my birthday!

THAT is a HUGE steal, I think. We'll see, but he's a class kid, and with that attitude, and his talent... the sky is the limit.

I do note, that he should tuck the ball away after the catch...@@ but that's easy to coach with a wr with smarts.

some more old news for posterity's sake.

Receiver Carlton Mitchell shines on USF Bulls pro day

By Greg Auman, Times Staff Writer

In Print: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 TAMPA — On a day when two of USF's best NFL draft prospects didn't run — defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul didn't need to, and safety Nate Allen had a nagging quad injury — receiver Carlton Mitchell continued to improve his draft stock, running the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds, according to USF's results.

"I had a great time. I'm very fortunate to be here," said Mitchell, who checked in at 6 feet 3 and 213 pounds and improved on an official time of 4.49 seconds at the NFL combine four weeks ago.

Mitchell, a former Gaither High standout, has been diligent in training since deciding to skip his senior year after becoming USF's career leader in receiving yards in three seasons. He's in a position to be taken on the draft's second day, which would be the second or third round.

"There's a lot of good talk — they like my size and my speed, my ability, my character," Mitchell said. "At the same time, they want to see me pluck the ball better, keep it away from my body, sink my weight and create separation."

Strong turnout: There were more than 50 representatives from 26 NFL teams at USF's soccer stadium, including three head coaches — the Giants' Tom Coughlin, the Bengals' Marvin Lewis and the Bears' Lovie Smith.

Pierre-Paul, projected as a mid first-round pick despite playing one season of major college football, should be the first Bulls player taken, potentially as the highest ever from USF. In all, six or more Bulls are expected to be drafted.

Pierre-Paul ran well enough at the NFL combine that he didn't run Tuesday but looked solid in extensive position drills with former All-American George Selvie.

"It went pretty well — a great experience," said Pierre-Paul, one of three Bulls represented by agent Drew Rosenhaus. "It's competition — you come out here and do your best, and hopefully they like it."

Back scrambling: Six months after his college career ended with a knee injury in September, quarterback Matt Grothe ran through all the drills, running a 4.84 in the 40. That time would have ranked sixth among the 15 quarterbacks timed at the NFL combine workouts last month.

"I've come a long way in a short time, and I'm proud of myself," said Grothe, who has a workout scheduled with the Bucs on April 8. "I feel real good. I don't know exactly what my times were, but I heard rumors that it was pretty good for where I'm at right now. I thought I threw the ball exceptionally well."

Training again: Former USF walk-on Nick Schuyler, who made national news as the lone survivor of a boating accident that claimed the lives of three others last spring, attended as well, having worked as the personal trainer for USF defensive lineman Aaron Harris and tight end Ben Busbee.

"Nick is awesome. I've never been around somebody who motivated me so much," said Harris, who has added 20 pounds since last season ended. "His whole attitude about life — obviously he's been through a lot. He's as tough as a box of nails."

Schuyler, who is training out of a gym in North Tampa, said he has had informal discussions about making a movie from his book, Not Without Hope.

This and that: Fifteen Bulls from last season's team worked out, along with seven former Bulls from previous seasons, including defensive end Jarriett Buie, who was cut by the Bucs in the preseason last year. … Allen, who did not run at the NFL combine because of a quad injury, has private workouts set with the Cowboys and Chiefs in the next two days. He hopes to run the 40 before the draft and had a 34.5-inch vertical Tuesday, best among the Bulls. … Cornerback Jerome Murphy, projected to go in the first three rounds, was timed at 4.51 seconds, a slight improvement on his time at the combine, despite a slight hamstring injury.

Carlton Mitchell a WR sleeper to watch by Armando Salguero

My source tells me four scouts clocked Mitchell with the wind at: 4.40, 4.42, 4.41 and 4.46. Obviously, different scouts get different times but it's safe to say Mitchell can run a 4.4 in the 40.

Against the wind, my source tells me Mitchell was in the high 4.4s and low 4.5s: 4.47, 4.5, 4.48, 4.51.

Mitchell's agent Christina Phillips tells me Mitchell's vertical was actually 36 inches.

"I have him as my 5th best WR behind Dez Bryant, Demaryious Thomas, Arrelious Benn, and Golden Tate," Cordero said. "I give him a late second to early third round grade. He could develop into a No. 1 WR."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in...l#ixzz0nYWmBuYm

Carlton Mitchell-WR - Browns Mar. 31 - 1:25 pm et

South Florida WR Carlton Mitchell ran in the 4.41-4.42 range with the wind and 4.48 against the wind in the forty-yard dash at Tuesday's Pro Day.

According to the NFL Network, though, he wasn't overly impressive in position drills. Raw coming from an extremely run heavy South Florida offense, Mitchell needs to improve his pass-catching fundamentals and route running.

Carlton Mitchell-WR- Browns Apr. 24 - 2:35 pm et

Browns selected South Florida WR Carlton Mitchell with the No. 177 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

Projected by many to go in the second or third round, Mitchell is a raw receiver with outstanding measurables coming from USF's run-first attack. Though he landed in an ideal spot with the receiver-needy Browns, he'll need to develop his route running and fundamentals before making an impact at the next level. Ultimately, he's a deep threat with size and plenty of potential.

04/26/2010 - A closer look at the Browns' picks: Round 6/177 -- Carlton Mitchell, WR, 6-3, 215, South Florida, Mitchell is a big target at a position of need. The knock on him is he uses his chest to catch the ball too much.

Overview

A physical receiver in the mold of Denver's Brandon Marshall, Mitchell became the Big East Conference's premier deep threat as a junior, despite missing several games with an ankle sprain. He played in just 37 games for the Bulls, but he set both the school career (1,648) and season (706 in 2009) records for receiving yardage.

"Carlton can flat fly," USF wide receivers coach Phil McGeoghan stated recently. "He has all the tools, all the ability. He is very diligent in his route running and his assignments. He is getting better, I see him improving everyday. He comes out here, works early and stays late. Carlton Mitchell is just a very talented guy who is big, tall, athletic, and has all the gifts you want in a receiver."

What surprised many within the Bulls organization was Mitchell's decision to forgo his senior season to enter the 2010 NFL Draft. With his injury issues and playing in a run-oriented offense at USF, the talented split end has never caught more than 40 passes in any season, or scored more than four touchdowns in a campaign. He reached his decision before USF had fired coach Jim Leavitt, so the two transactions aren't directly related.

No one can question his athletic bloodlines. Mitchell also performed on the USF track team, competing in the 400 meters and the long jump during the 2007-08 outdoor campaign. His father, Carl Mitchell played professional basketball in Europe. Even his mother, Angela, has long ties to the sports industry. She presently serves as the "cut man" for professional boxer, Antonio Tarver.

Mitchell lettered three times in football and basketball at Gaither High School. He garnered All-County honorable mention from the Tampa Tribune and was a member of the Class 5A All-District V team during his senior season with the Cowboys. He was rated the 19th-best player in Tampa Bay area by the St. Petersburg Times.

The senior was ranked 64th-best player in the state of Florida by Rivals.com, placing 55th among the nation's receivers. Scout.com ranked him as Florida's 87th-best prospect, even though he played in a ball controlled offense that limited him to nine catches for 207 yards as a junior.

Mitchell spent the 2006 season at the University of South Florida performing on the scout team. Even though he started just five games in 2007, he set the school freshmen season-records with 37 receptions (led the team) for 537 yards (rank fifth on the USF annual record list), as his four touchdowns were one shy of another freshman mark. He was the only player on the team to gain over 100 yards receiving in a game in 2007, accomplishing that feat twice.

Mitchell had a "sophomore slump" that relegated him to just three starting assignments in 2008. He placed fourth on the team with 28 catches, gaining 405 yards (14.46-yard average) with one touchdown. He added a pair of solo tackles and produced at least one reception in 10 games, including his final seven.

Mitchell received All-Big East Conference third-team honors in 2009. He led the team with 40 receptions for a school season-record 706 yards (17.65-yard average), that included four touch-downs. He suffered a left high ankle sprain vs. West Virginia that forced him to miss the Rutgers and Louisville contests, seeing limited action vs. Miami upon his return.

Analysis

Release: Gets to top speed much faster than expected for his height, eating up cushion and blowing by corners without great speed. Can hesitate to lull defender to sleep, then accelerate to get separation. Is not pressed much because of his size and speed, but seems comfortable giving a shake and using his hands to free himself from the jam.

Hands: Inconsistent hands and traps the ball against his chest more often than not on short to intermediate throws. Tracks balls over his shoulder, able to secure the catch when stretched out on deep balls or throws to the sideline. Excellent red-zone threat. Better adjusting to high throws than low ones, but can get down to make the grab if given room to do so. Loses concentration on easier passes at times.

Route running: Will round off routes at times, but sinks his hips coming in and out of routes pretty well for a 6-4 receiver. Stop and comeback routes are sudden, a dangerous combination with his potential as a deep threat. Uses a head fake to sell routes. Willing to find holes in zones over the middle.

After the catch: Not many tall receivers are used on quick screens, but his surprising quickness and length allows him to succeed. Turns on the jets after the catch, with his long strides making it difficult for defenders to catch him. Can be elusive on screens but fails to avoid defenders when on a dead run. Height makes him a target to be chopped down in the open field by better corners.

Blocking: Has the desire and length to take defenders out of the play when he knows the run is coming, but a failure to break down and mirror his man allows them to avoid his grasp. Runs hard and extends his arms to keep safeties at bay while blocking for fellow receivers downfield. Resorts to ineffective cut blocks at times despite have the size advantage on the edge.

Intangibles: Tough player who bounces up after the big hit. Confident, well-liked in the locker room who has worked hard to be more than a track star playing football.

Career Notes

Mitchell started 18-of-37 games at South Florida, catching 105 passes for 1,648 yards (15.70-yard average) and nine touchdowns, adding 24 yards on five carries (4.8-yard average) while scoring 54 points and recording four solo tackles … His 105 grabs rank fifth on the school career list, topped by Hugh Smith (131, 1999-2002), Huey Whittaker (117, 2001-03), Taurus Johnson (112 2005-08) and Jessie Hester (107, 2005, 2007-09) … His 40 receptions in 2009 tied Hugh Smith (2001) for the fifth-best season performance by a USF player … his 139 yards receiving vs. Syracuse in 2009 was the fifth-best game performance in school annals … Mitchell's five 100-yard receiving performances for the Bulls set a school all-time record, topping the previous best of four by Hugh Smith (1999-2002) … Mitchell holds the USF career-record with 1,648 yards receiving, topping the previous mark of 1,523 yards by Hugh Smith … His 706 yards receiving in 2009 broke Smith's old Bulls season-record of 661 in 2002 … His nine touchdown catches rank behind DeAndrew Rubin (14, 1999-2002), Taurus Johnson (12, 2005-08), Hugh Smith (10, 1999-2002) and R.J. Anderson (10, 1998-99) on the USF career-record chart … Mitchell's 85-yard reception vs. Syracuse in 2009 was the second-longest in school history, topped by DeAndrew Rubin (95 vs. Northern Illinois in 2002), while his 75-yarder vs. Central Florida in 2007 rank tied for seventh on that chart.

Injury Report

2009: Suffered a left high ankle sprain when he was tackled for a loss with two minutes left vs. West Virginia (10/30), sitting out the next two games vs. Rutgers and Louisville before returning in a limited, reserve role vs. Miami (11/28).

Agility Tests

Campus: 4.56 in the 40-yard dash … 1.63 10-yard dash … 2.65 20-yard dash … 3.84 20-yard shuttle … 6.72 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 9'7" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 17 times.

Archived