THE BROWNS BOARD

OG Shawn Lauvao

CLEVELandMILIDH

Here's his combine workout video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0900...ut-Shawn-Lauvao

Share Shawn Lauvao NFL Draft scouting report

Shawn Lauvao

6'2 7/8, 315 pounds | Guard | Arizona State

Awareness: Started 33 consecutive games to end his career at Arizona State. Played at left tackle during 2009 and has the smarts to pick up stunts and rushes from linebackers deep on the outside.

Initial quickness: Lauvao displayed good but not great quickness of the line of scrimmage. His second stop, where you power slide back, is lacking.

Movement: His lack of movement is what makes Lauvao a guard prospect at the next level. He didn't pull much as a senior because he was playing tackle. But when he does move around, Lauvao is heavy footed. He doesn't maintain very good balance and his strength gets negated.

Pass blocking: Held up well enough in pass blocking as a senior. Is more of a phone booth blocker and he should be much better on the inside as a pro. Consistently gets good reach with his ams to keep defenders back.

Run blocking: Lauvao has the skills to be a good power run blocker at the next level. He's aggressive and really strong in his upper body.

Size: Has good height at nearly 6-foot-3 and long good arm length. Has a very strong upper body, but has room in his legs to get stronger.

Strength: Is a really powerful guard who can dominate in one-on-one situations against power tackles. Has a really powerful and jarring hand punch to knock defenders off their blocks. Known as a player who loves the weight room.

Technique: Even though Lauvao has only played high school since his junior year in high school, he uses good technique with his hands. He extends well and rarely lets blockers into his frame. Could keep his base better in pass protection as he has a tendency to get narrow.

Final word: People have been underrating Lauvao all year because he played at left tackle. He was decent on the outside, but is a much better guard. That's where he played for nine games in 2007 and eight in 2008. The other 16 starts in his career were at both tackle spots.

That versatility should do Lauvao well. He's a powerful player and is above-average in every area.

Shawn Lauvao | 67 | G

Height: 6-3 Class-Eligibility: GS-Sr

Weight: 305 Born: 10/26/1987

Birthplace: Honolulu, HI

Scouting Report

Lauvao had an impressive performance at the combine, ranking among the leaders in the bench press (33 reps) and 3-cone drill (7.56 seconds), and placing first among all offensive linemen in the 20-yard shuttle (4.51 seconds). Runs a 5.26 40-yard dash - good for an interior lineman of his size. The excellent showing at the combine likely won't vault Lauvao into the top echelon of guards, but it does make him nearly a sure bet to get drafted, most likely in the middle-to-late rounds. He was named to the All Pac-10 second team as a senior, and received all-conference honorable mention in 2008. He started all 12 games for Arizona State as a senior, the constant on a shaky offensive line effected by injury on a Sun Devils team that stumbled to a 4-8 record. The durable Lauvao concluded his career with 33 consecutive starts. A native of Hawaii, he was ranked the sixth-best prospect in that state coming out of high school in 2005. Though he projects as a guard at the next level, he also saw time at tackle at Arizona State, due in part to the unit's lack of depth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did we reach a bit for this guy? What other linemen were out there with better creditials?

Lauvao has mangini's fingerprints all over him and i believe he will be our new RG this guy is way underestimated..

Has there been anything said about which side he will play on? I figured he was more than likely Steinbach's replacement.

I got the feeling last year that Mangini wasn't a fan of Eric....Didn't like his lack of weight.

Has there been anything said about which side he will play on? I figured he was more than likely Steinbach's replacement.

I got the feeling last year that Mangini wasn't a fan of Eric....Didn't like his lack of weight.

Wow, good point. I guess I was just under the impression he was the savior on the Right side, hadn't thought of Steinbach's replacement.

Wow, good point. I guess I was just under the impression he was the savior on the Right side, hadn't thought of Steinbach's replacement.

He might be the RG...I have no idea. I haven't heard.

I just know that Mangini didn't seem overly excited about Steinbach and Lauvao is a LG and LT

He might be the RG...I have no idea. I haven't heard.

I just know that Mangini didn't seem overly excited about Steinbach and Lauvao is a LG and LT

I don't think that's necessarily true, out of the starters on the offensive line last year, the left side played superb and it was the right side that was lacking, mostly due to John St. Clair.

he's either going to be RG or RT, but probably RG, Steinbach is fine.

He is going to be the swing man and possibly compete to start at RG. Steinbach is one of the better all around guards in football and together with Mack and Thomas constitutes the best left side in the game.

However, every year come this time and then into camp, Steinbach is generally cast aside as too small and the coaches don't care much for him. It's kinda guaranteed like Colt McCoy having his arm strength bashed.

You can almost bank on the idea that Lauvao won't be the last interior lineman that will be drafted by this regime. Next year, look for another OG to come off the board to the Browns in the 2nd/3rd round range.

We have two young cornerstones at LT and C. Hopefully we now have one at guard now, too. If so, that's 3/5 of your line for the next 10 years. That's an eternity in this league. You add one next year along with some playmakers on the edge and all of a sudden, the Cleveland Browns offense is a force to be reckoned with.

I agree. I am thinking LG.

Maybe not this year....I doubt the guy is ready to start this early in his career.

I agree. I am thinking LG.

Maybe not this year....I doubt the guy is ready to start this early in his career.

Same here...I read where he didn't start playing football until his Junior year in High school? They may be thinking that his upside is huge and will want to groom him for awhile.

Not sure where guys on this board are thinking Steinbach is an elite Guard. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago this was true. He's 30 and in the twilight of his career now.

This guy will play RG for a couple of years, I can't see him taking Steinbach as LG for at least 2 years, unless he explodes onto the surface or Steinbach just completely falls off the map. I am thinking Steinbach has like 2 or 3 years left on his contract, so we got a guy and getting him experience now, at RG and a position of need will only help him, then if we line him up next to Thomas and Mack in the future, the dude should look great.

From the Plain Dealer:

Lauvao inside: Third-round offensive lineman Shawn Lauvao, who played both guard and tacke at Arizona State, will work at both guard spots here. "He's also done some snapping in college," said Mangini. "It's not something he's done a lot of but we'll continue to work with him there. The important thing for a guy like that is to have flexibility be able to go in and do some work at center if need be."

Bottom line is I think Lauvao is a solid pick-up.

I think much of his rating was due to him playing LT his final year and many were grading him as such.

The guy have moved all over the line and it sounds that is what we hope to get out of him for a while until he unseats one of the other guards and claims the position.

As was said, not many question his ability to drive block, which is going to fit right in with the type of pound it out O we can probably expect to see until we find a qb who can air it out and receivers who can get open and catch.

It's all adding up. Bring in 2 big strong drive blockers in Pashos and Lauvao. Bring in 2 big strong one cut runners in Hillis and Hardesty and it tells us what is going to happen this year....at least hope happens.

It wouldn't surprise me if we ran the ball nearly 65% of the time this year.

I think much of his rating was due to him playing LT his final year and many were grading him as such.

The guy have moved all over the line and it sounds that is what we hope to get out of him for a while until he unseats one of the other guards and claims the position.

As was said, not many question his ability to drive block, which is going to fit right in with the type of pound it out O we can probably expect to see until we find a qb who can air it out and receivers who can get open and catch.

It's all adding up. Bring in 2 big strong drive blockers in Pashos and Lauvao. Bring in 2 big strong one cut runners in Hillis and Hardesty and it tells us what is going to happen this year....at least hope happens.

I am in agreement that this kid was a solid pick up; my guess is he will battle with Womack for the right guard spot and Pashos (sp?) will be the RT

Even if Lauvao doesn't earn a starting position, I have no doubt you'll see him in short-yardage situations where Joe T. might be an eligible extra tackle on the line. Meaning you might see this across the line:

Thomas Lauvao Steinbach Mack Womack Pashos Royal

Then this in the backfield:

Delhomme Massaquoi (split out)

Vickers

Hardesty

For the record, that's Delhomme to Hardesty off left tackle, which means you have 225 pounds carrying the mail behind 660 pounds of beef in Joe 'n Lauvao, with a 220-pound raving lunatic lead blocker who'll knock your frickin' head off if you even dare to show your face in the hole.

End result: 1) First down Browns/Touchdown Browns & 2) Carnage. Pure carnage.

Considering how we ended the season and the improvements we've made, i think running the ball should be our focus. Do what you do well and tweak it for the ultimate sucess. (meaning when you must pass have someone who can actually make a few plays)

Even if Lauvao doesn't earn a starting position, I have no doubt you'll see him in short-yardage situations where Joe T. might be an eligible extra tackle on the line. Meaning you might see this across the line:

Thomas Lauvao Steinbach Mack Womack Pashos Royal

Then this in the backfield:

Delhomme Massaquoi (split out)

Vickers

Hardesty

For the record, that's Delhomme to Hardesty off left tackle, which means you have 225 pounds carrying the mail behind 660 pounds of beef in Joe 'n Lauvao, with a 220-pound raving lunatic lead blocker who'll knock your frickin' head off if you even dare to show your face in the hole.

End result: 1) First down Browns/Touchdown Browns & 2) Carnage. Pure carnage.

Maybe so.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him spell Steinback, or even take his job at some point.

Steiny isn't a drive blocker....which seems to be the direction we are taking.

Archived