THE BROWNS BOARD

Crennel vs. the Butch Davis Era

NW Ohio Brownie

There are two ways that guys appear to be 'quitting' on the field.

A) They are not playing hard/concentrating because they don't give a shit about the head coach they are playing for.

B) They are not playing hard/concentrating because they know they won't be held accountable by the head coach they are playing for.

Example A was the problem during the Butch Davis era. Example B is sinking the Good Ship Romeo.

No question about it. That's the type of 'quitting' we are hearing out of the accusatory mouths of players in Berea.

As a fan, quite frankly, I don't give a shit about the difference between A & B because they both mean more losses and fewer wins.

The Crennel Era has to end as soon as possible and the next head coaching search should focus on two things only: gaining players' respect and holding them accountable. Period.

There are two ways that guys appear to be 'quitting' on the field.

A) They are not playing hard/concentrating because they don't give a shit about the head coach they are playing for.

B) They are not playing hard/concentrating because they know they won't be held accountable by the head coach they are playing for.

Example A was the problem during the Butch Davis era. Example B is sinking the Good Ship Romeo.

No question about it. That's the type of 'quitting' we are hearing out of the accusatory mouths of players in Berea.

As a fan, quite frankly, I don't give a shit about the difference between A & B because they both mean more losses and fewer wins.

The Crennel Era has to end as soon as possible and the next head coaching search should focus on two things only: gaining players' respect and holding them accountable. Period.

We have both kinds of quitting as defined above on our team and it goes much higher than just the players..the assistants have big dreams of becoming the HC themselves and will sabatage the current HC as seen with grantham and now chud and tucker appear to be making their moves hiring and promoting from inside should only be done if the team is winning and working hard together hopefully lerners little experiment is over he and his father have proven for 10 yrs now that you cant run a football team like a lending firm and pray he digs deep and gets a real coach and or gm from outside the organization because our current team gaurdians are bad shepards...

Personally i thought davis was better than rac and savage combined and thats not sayin much..

We have both kinds of quitting as defined above on our team and it goes much higher than just the players..hopefully lerners little experiment is over he and his father have proven for 10 yrs now that you cant run a football team like a lending firm and pray he digs deep and gets a real coach and or gm because our current team gaurdians are bad shepards...

Right on Gips.

What makes it worse was that guys only started 'quitting' on Butch in his last season. We've seen this team quit on Crennel ever since his first season here.

Giving the fat fuck an extension after ONE winning season was the height of idiocy.

Right on Gips.

What makes it worse was that guys only started 'quitting' on Butch in his last season. We've seen this team quit on Crennel ever since his first season here.

Giving the fat fuck an extension after ONE winning season was the height of idiocy.

The SAD truth is SOMEBODY hired RAC and somebody hired Butch right?

And before those 2 guys were hired somebody hired Chris Palmer right? So WHY aren't MORE people worried about WHO is doing the hiring? They ought to start because I just counted strike 3.

- Tom F.

Jusy Flat Sucks! Romeo Must Go!!!

Only a handful of players will put it on the line for that Tub of ShiT!

Good Coaches make Teams Good Great coaches make Teams Great! Mediocre a players coach makes teams Suck!

Ask yourself this, the winning franchises do they put up with this nonsense?

I understand your frustrations, guys. I would love to have all the money in the world and send Larry Dolan packing and run the Tribe myself, but you can't fire the owners.

And with the way Randy runs things it's pretty clear he has little influence on coaching hirings. Crennel was hand-picked by Savage, make no mistake about that.

Crennel has proven to not be the guy THIS team needs. There are just a few too many unprofessionals in uniform right now with no one to hold them accountable. It's not unlike the situation Marvin Lewis is in down in Cincinnati. Too many Chad Johnsons and not enough Carson Palmers. Well, here we have too many Braylon Edwardses and not enough Jamal Lewises. That doesn't mean the team couldn't be successful. It could, but it just has to have the right coach.

Good coaches know how to handle the BE types while mediocre ones don't and can't.

Let me explain myself using Bill Parcells as an example with the initial disclaimer that Terrell Owens cannot be handled by any coach on this planet. Parcells was the perfect example of a head coach who commanded respect and held players accountable. He proved this over his career time and time again with guys who would have crossed the line and been a malcontent with other coaches. What did he get in return? Production, plain and simple. What players, you ask? Here's a few: LT, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn just off the top of my head. They simply played for the man, because they knew their ass was in a sling if they didn't get it right. And when they played for the man, he gave them their due.

There's just no accountability with Romeo and that's sad, because his connection to the Parcells tree is well-documented.

Remember Tony Dungy's failures in Tampa? Remember Keyshawn going off on him after Dungy's last playoff loss there and saying how they need to 'bring somebody in here who won't put up with that sh*t, period'? Of course, Keyshawn's "somebody" was Parcells and the "shit" he was referring to was guys like Warren Sapp who were all mouth and no production. Now Dungy is successful in Indy. Why? Because he isn't overrun with the Ocho Cincos of the NFL. He has low-maintenance superstars like Manning, Harrison, Clark, and Sanders to name a few.

Am I vindicating Crennel? Hell, no. I am trying to show that we, in the words of Keyshawn, need to bring somebody in here who won't put up with that shit, period.

Edwards isn't catching, defense isn't tackling, offense is stalling, team seems lackluster, disgruntled players..................

WHERE is the coaching?

Personally, I will NOT judge players on this team until I am confident they are in the right hands, & RAC & his bunch are NOT the right ones. The coaching staff is the "common denominator" in this whole mess. It is not ONE player or one facet of this team that is under achieving....it's the whole damn team. I don't buy the "pros shouldn't have to be taught fundamentals" theory. The greatest coaches I've seen in different sports PREACH fundamentals! If they need tackling drills to win, then damnit, DO tackling drills. If an all pro receiver needs splinters in his butt while a lesser athlete tries to fill his shoes, then PUT his tail on the bench. This team needs discipline & direction.

To go one step further, I am really starting to think that Savage is one step higher on the ladder than his comfort level. Seems to me that a total house cleaning may be in order.

Mike

It's more than that- to quote what Bum Phillips said about Don Shula. "First he'll take his'uns and beat your'uns, and then he'll take your'uns and beat his'uns." The great coaches get the absolute most out of the talent they have available. In that regard, Romeo has utterly failed. To keep Jerome Harrison riding pine because he can't pass block, when the guy is averaging something like 10 yards a touch is criminal in my book.

Seems like Romeo finally got it in the Texans game- about 2 years too late.

May as well bring in Jim Mora Sr. to finish out the year, we could at least get some insanely hilarious sound bytes out of this pathetic waste of a season.

PLAYOFFS, YOU KIDDING ME? PLAYOFFS? I JUST HOPE WE CAN WIN A GAME! ANOTHER GAME!

May as well bring in Jim Mora Sr. to finish out the year, we could at least get some insanely hilarious sound bytes out of this pathetic waste of a season.

PLAYOFFS, YOU KIDDING ME? PLAYOFFS? I JUST HOPE WE CAN WIN A GAME! ANOTHER GAME!

We might as well lose out and get a better draft pick. Not that it will help we have had what 9 out of 10 years of a top ten pick and blew all of them.

We might as well lose out and get a better draft pick. Not that it will help we have had what 9 out of 10 years of a top ten pick and blew all of them.

So far Joe Thomas is looking like the only first rounder not to be a bust from Savagina... a maybe on Quinn and a huge maybe on Braylon

Guest Aloysius
The SAD truth is SOMEBODY hired RAC and somebody hired Butch right?

And before those 2 guys were hired somebody hired Chris Palmer right? So WHY aren't MORE people worried about WHO is doing the hiring? They ought to start because I just counted strike 3.

- Tom F.

Everybody should read (or re-read) this classic Don Banks piece:

Distrust costs Davis - Former Browns player: 'Guys just didn't trust him, point blank'

When it comes to giving extensions to bad coaches, Lerner certainly is a pro:

Browns players were especially befuddled -- as were Cleveland fans and the media for that matter -- when Davis somehow earned himself a two-year contract extension this offseason, no mean feat coming off a desultory 5-11 record in 2003. Inside the team complex, there were whispers this summer that Davis had gone to team owner Randy Lerner and threatened to take a college coaching job if he didn't receive an extension past 2005.

While a source in Davis' camp refutes the notion that the head coach sought a contract extension in the first place, the rumors of Davis' supposed power play fed the perception among Browns players that he put his own self-interest above all else. Again, the mistrust factor hurt Davis in his attempts to get the most out of the players upon whom his coaching success depended. Davis could not be reached for comment on his offseason negotiations.

"We knew Butch was going to take care of Butch,'' the Browns player said. "It's sad, because it's a young team with a bunch of talent. But you reap what you sow. He shouldn't have gotten an extension last (offseason). That's for damn sure.''

Archived