THE BROWNS BOARD

As usual, Pluto hits the nail on the head

Guest Masters

"After the game, Crennel essentially said he didn't know what to expect from the Browns from week to week, whether on offense, defense or in their effort. Well, if the coach doesn't know, it's no surprise that the fans are confused and upset, too."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....of_failure.html

Well gosh, I seem to remember hearing those SAME GOD DAMN WORDS his first two seasons. Yet, this stupid piece of shit manages stumble into a winning season last year, when he should have been fired after season 2, and somehow gets an EXTENSION?

What. The. Fuck.

Love Terry. Always spot on.

Today's blame, in this order:

1. RAC

2. Chud

3. BE

4. Quinn

5. The D

There's no point discussing RAC any more. I honestly don't know what purpose he serves but "coach" is not on the list.

More mystifying is WTF happend to Chud? As I've said countless times, we have NO identity on offense. Are we a running team? Are we a deep passing team? Are we a controlled passing team? I don't have a clue and obviously the team doesn't either.

Edwards is a mess. The total lack of accountability with that guy is disgraceful. He should be benched until he shows he actually wants to play again.

Quinn was just bad. Hard to say what was because of the game plan (or lack thereof), the drops, the finger or whatever. But he looked like a rookie today. That being said, RAC pulling him was a horrifically bad move, like pulling a rookie pitcher in the third inning after giving up 2 solo homers. The game was hardly out of reach and the 2nd pick was at least half on BE's lame ass route. An obviously political move. Notice how he used the word "spark" twice in his presser? A shot back at Jim Brown maybe?

The D is what it is but they don't get a pass for being bad. Again, hard to know what's coaching and what's on the players but what's clear -- AGAIN -- is that we don't have enough talent on the field.

Guest Aloysius
Quinn was just bad. Hard to say what was because of the game plan (or lack thereof), the drops, the finger or whatever. But he looked like a rookie today. That being said, RAC pulling him was a horrifically bad move, like pulling a rookie pitcher in the third inning after giving up 2 solo homers. The game was hardly out of reach and the 2nd pick was at least half on BE's lame ass route. An obviously political move. Notice how he used the word "spark" twice in his presser? A shot back at Jim Brown maybe?

I read things differently. I thought it was a desperation move; Crennelephant thought DA gave the team a better chance to win the game, which would help RAC 'n ROLLS hold onto his job.

The problem is that once you've switched to an inexperienced QB, you can't succumb to that short-term temptation to switch back to the experienced guy. A young QB is going to struggle, and you can't kill his development by benching him whenever he makes a mistake in a close game.

And RAC's mistaken belief that he can save his job is hurting us at more than the QB position. Though it'd make sense to see less of McGinest & Davis and more of Hall & Bell, RAC's going to keep the young guys off the field if he thinks another 2-3 wins will save his job.

So while I'm not usually supportive of firing coaches midseason, I'm all for getting rid of RAC now. If we're going to get rid of him anyway, why risk having him f*ck up BQ's confidence or stifle our young LB's development any further?

Great point, Alo. The sad thing is that if RAC really felt like putting DA in gave us a better chance to win than it's back to: is BQ really that bad or is RAC really that dumb?

And you're right about the firing thing too. If the decision's been made than the change should happen NOW and the youth movement should officially begin.

Frankly, I'd be curious to see what unleashing the young guys would look like. We'd get faster and more aggressive, certainly, and though there'd be mistakes, it's hard to imagine that they'd be any worse than this.

As it is, we are the worst things a team can be: slow, undisciplined, lazy and unaccountable. Can't be much worse with all young guys if the "veterans" are helping us look like this.

Guest Aloysius
Frankly, I'd be curious to see what unleashing the young guys would look like. We'd get faster and more aggressive, certainly, and though there'd be mistakes, it's hard to imagine that they'd be any worse than this.

As it is, we are the worst things a team can be: slow, undisciplined, lazy and unaccountable. Can't be much worse with all young guys if the "veterans" are helping us look like this.

For sure. Great defenses like Baltimore & New England somehow manage to give young guys playing time, yet we stick to our scrubs like they're golden.

I was watching New England today, and UDFA Gary Guyton was getting a lot of time on the field. Either he's way better than Beau Bell, or RAC's just way too conservative (and desperate).

It could be the former, but I think it's the latter.

lemosley rac is not screwing up quinn. Brady had a terrible game last week and another this week against piss poor defenses. RAC should NOT have pulled Brady and let the kid work his way out.

Braylon Edwards is running incorrect routes, not running routes aggressively like he should (the second pick) jumping offsides, dropping balls (inside crossing patterns I suspect he does not want to be hit) Donte Stallworth is invisible and besides Winslow our recieving corp pretty much suck.

I did however like it when Winslow was lined up in the slot and we used Harrison more.

You don't pull your young QB because he struggles... you knew he'd struggle at some point. Crennel had selfish motives -- he puts in Anderson and Anderson "sparks" a win, then Crennel is the biggest winner of all. In fact, it might be the only way he returns next year, is if he can say "told you so" about Anderson.

Didn't play out that way and now the rift between coach and BQ is bigger than ever... and Crennel will be the one to go.

That has to be it, right?

I mean, does ANYTHING else make sense in that situation?

It's not like BQ was DREADFUL. He was just, well, DA-esque, complete with BE drops and poor routes hurting him just like it hurt DA.

It goes against every bit of football sense to switch to the young QB and then pull him out at the FIRST sign of a bad game. Quite literally, the FIRST bad quarter Quinn has had, like RAC was just waiting for the opportunity.

And that's CRAZY, right? I mean, it would be like pulling Edwards last week when he was actually dreadful in the 1st quarter and putting Losman in to provide a "spark".

It just isn't done. It makes you and the organization look confused and unsure. It sends all kinds of mixed messages to the team. And worst of all, it changes the whole dynamic of the offense. The players have to adjust to the new QB's cadence, his delivery, his timing, everything.

Granted, they'd all played with him extensively but not TODAY. How could it possibly be helpful?

And again, it can't be stated enough, it wasn't like Quinn was self-destructing out there. He got fooled by the DE zone play; not unheard of for a rookie starter. And then he threw to a spot on a slant and BE wasn't there. Is that totally on him?

And we were down TEN. It's not like we were being blown out where you MIGHT say, "hey, enough's enough, they got us today."

Today was truly the bottom of the barrel in every way. Everything we've been talking about, all RAC's weaknesses as a coach and a leader were exposed today with this move.

Just ugly.

I read things differently. I thought it was a desperation move...

Exactly as I read it Aloy. He knew if he didn't win this game, its officially throw in the towel time.

He thought to himself "hmm, every now and then, DA plays out of his skull good."

Its easy now to say he was wrong, but I'd bet most of us would not have pulled Quinn. The running game was just going. I agree those two interceptions where weird and the second one was downright demoralizing. But geez.

You don't pull your young QB because he struggles... you knew he'd struggle at some point. Crennel had selfish motives -- he puts in Anderson and Anderson "sparks" a win, then Crennel is the biggest winner of all. In fact, it might be the only way he returns next year, is if he can say "told you so" about Anderson.

Didn't play out that way and now the rift between coach and BQ is bigger than ever... and Crennel will be the one to go.

Amen!!! If anyone, ANYONE , thought that Quinn would come in and turn around this pathetic team in basically

his ROOKIE year they were whistling past the graveyard. Quinn (if he contiues to start) will have more stinkers

like this game. HE JUST MADE HIS THIRD START. Rosenfels has been around forever and he made some

terrible throws against the worst defense in the NFL.

RAC shot Brady's confidence today. Good QBs find a way to pick it up in the fourth quarter. We all know what

Anderson can do in the fourth (never brought his team back). Unfortunately now we don't know what Quinn

could have done. Quinn needed to get his shot today to rally his team. He deserved that much......

RAC shot Brady's confidence today. Good QBs find a way to pick it up in the fourth quarter. We all know what

Anderson can do in the fourth (never brought his team back). Unfortunately now we don't know what Quinn

could have done. Quinn needed to get his shot today to rally his team. He deserved that much......

RAC can't dent Quinn's confidence. That's why he hates him so much.

And Quinn likely would have done okay in the 4th quarter. He's not known for sulking a la our previous starter.

Quinn SHOULD have had his shot, because WE STILL NEED TO KNOW IF HE'S ANY GOOD.

But that's obviously of no concern to RAC. He won't be around to find out anyway.

lemosley rac is not screwing up quinn. Brady had a terrible game last week and another this week against piss poor defenses. RAC should NOT have pulled Brady and let the kid work his way out.

Braylon Edwards is running incorrect routes, not running routes aggressively like he should (the second pick) jumping offsides, dropping balls (inside crossing patterns I suspect he does not want to be hit) Donte Stallworth is invisible and besides Winslow our recieving corp pretty much suck.

I did however like it when Winslow was lined up in the slot and we used Harrison more.

Sev, I have to disagree - I really think RAC hates Quinn and will actively TRY to ruin him. This is just the start.

RAC has got to go, not just for the both QBs, but for basically all of the young players on this team.

He can take Tucker and Chud with him.

Lerner should be on the phone RIGHT NOW with Marty Schottenheimer or Bill Cowher begging them to come here and finish out the season - they can evaluate who should stay and who should go and build a plan for offseason changes. With 5 games left, they can probably get a good enough read to decide on who is worth keeping around.

Archived