Sign in to follow this  
The Gipper

The Gipper's Guide to America

If you ever get round abouts dc again gip check out balls bluff battlefield. It's a small relatively hidden civil war battlefield. What's interesting about it is that it's the only place to date where a u.s. senator has fallen in battle.

There's a WWII museum near the Akron-Canton airport.

Pretty cool. I wonder how the Air Force Museum in Dayton has changed over

nearly 40 years....

There's another military museum in Branson Mo. .... has all the names of WWII lost soldiers on

a long room's three walls. Pretty amazing, albeit sad and somber, display.

Are you talking about the MAPS Museum Cal? I thought that was a aviation museum...not strictly limited to WWII....unless we are thinking of something else? The old 356th Fighter Group restaurant is closed up now, no? Always liked that place.

There's an Indian wars battlefield in ohio not far from Toledo. I see the signs for it every now and again when I'm up that way. Been meaning to check it out. Since I'm here I'm fixing to add fort Sumter to my list of civil war battlefields visited over the next few days

I think you are talking about the Fallen Timbers/Fort Miami sites:

http://www.nps.gov/fati/index.htm

If you ever get round abouts dc again gip check out balls bluff battlefield. It's a small relatively hidden civil war battlefield. What's interesting about it is that it's the only place to date where a u.s. senator has fallen in battle.

I know about it, but have not been there. It is not a National Park Battlefield, perhaps a state park? It is up the Potomac toward Harpers Ferry from DC, no?

I know about it, but have not been there. It is not a National Park Battlefield, perhaps a state park? It is up the Potomac toward Harpers Ferry from DC, no?

Yeah it is. Took me a while to find it because it's literally at the back culdesac of a housing development. It's a really neat scenic park with the obligatory unknown soldier graveyard and historical markers. Sort of insignificant next to Antietam or Manassas or Gettysburg but definitely worth checking out

I will be visiting the Big Hole battlefield in a couple of weeks....plus I may make a return trip to The Little Bighorn.

Mission accomplished. Last week I went to the Big Hole and The Little Bighorn.

Also, FYI, I visited the Missouri Headwaters State Park. There, three rivers, the Jefferson, Madison and Gallatin join to form the Missouri. The area is known as The Trident. And just like in the Game of Thrones, there was a big "Battle of the Trident" right at the site of the confluence of these river. But this battle was between thousands of native warriors on each side in a tribal battle. No "white men" involved.

QUOTE (ballpeen @ Apr 9 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We agree on quite a few, don't we:

Best Sunset: Indian Rocks Beach, Fla....west coast of Fla. right? Its OK, I still prefer a Pacific sunset.

Gonna have to disagree with both of you tho this is less than 50 miles south of Indian Rocks Beach

314254_10150999927771511_1834744897_n.jp

One of many I've taken in my neck o the woods.. B)

Gonna have to disagree with both of you tho this is less than 50 miles south of Indian Rocks Beach

One of many I've taken in my neck o the woods.. B)

Meh?

Just last week I watched the sunset from Bali over the eastern volcanoes of Java. It looked something like this:

taj2-14.jpg?w=500&h=333

Those are all nice, but I still rank Cape Flattery on top of those. Here is a canned photo. What I saw was much much better than this:

495405281_4f2ebc6bcd.jpg

That's pretty. Looks like the contrasts have been played with - no way the water is that blue with the sun that low. But still, pretty.

As I said, that as just last week. It's a bit unfair as I get to watch the sunset across London every day now for a couple of months from my desk on the 40th floor in canary wharf.

That's pretty. Looks like the contrasts have been played with - no way the water is that blue with the sun that low. But still, pretty.

As I said, that as just last week. It's a bit unfair as I get to watch the sunset across London every day now for a couple of months from my desk on the 40th floor in canary wharf.

Do they have sunsets in London? I thought all you saw was drizzle? :P

Mostly. But because of all the cloud, we do get some gorgeous colours. Here's one I took the other day (from my phone, just for impressions):

10406541_10152444410858947_1151735354902

You don't get the full effect since it's a shitty phone camera, but with a decent camera you'd get some pretty stunning views.

Mostly. But because of all the cloud, we do get some gorgeous colours. Here's one I took the other day (from my phone, just for impressions):

10406541_10152444410858947_1151735354902

I see a hazy sunset with varying colors of gray.......

Yeah it's not a great picture, as I say. IRL, the orange spreads out across most of the sky, particularly when the clouds are sparse, you get reflection from the river (as well as the building on the right).

Not saying it's the best, but it's a decent standard every day.

Nice, very nice. Is that pointy thing in the distance "The Shard"?

Yep, that's the one.

In checking I see that I still have quite a number of "battlefield" or at least "war related" National Parks units which I have not been to. Here is a list of some I would like to visit at some point:

Revolutionary War related sites: Boston NHP (Bunker Hill, Old North Church). George Rogers Clark (Indiana)

War of 1812: Horseshoe Bend (really a battle with Creek Indians, but 1812 related)

Civil War: Pea Ridge, Ark. Andersonville Ga. Ft. Scott Kan., Peco, New Mex.

Indian Wars: Fort Smith Ark. Sand Creek Massacre, Colo. Fort Larned, Kan., Big Hole Battlefield, Mont., Washita Battlefield, Okla., Knife River, North Dak.

WWII: Tuskeegee Airmen Ala, Port Chicago Cal. Rosie the Riveter Cal., War in the Pacific, Guam.. Minidoka, Idaho (Japanese Internment camp)

Cold War: Minuteman Missile NHP, South Dakota.

I will be visiting the Big Hole battlefield in a couple of weeks....plus I may make a return trip to The Little Bighorn.

I did visit the Big Hole Battlefield this past October....and made a repeat visit to The Little Bighorn.

And I also plan to visit the Moore's Creek Battlefield in North Carolina....perhaps as soon as this coming Sunday (March 29, 2015)

That is a Revolutionary War Battlefield.

For those of you who mentioned Outer Banks/NC Coast sunrises.....I will be staying on a NC beach for a week starting Saturday. I will have to check out those sunrises/sunsets. Where I am staying they claim you can see the sun rise at one end of the beach and set at the other end.

Just last week I watched the sunset from Bali over the eastern volcanoes of Java. Chris

Say, is that like Sarah Palin can see Russia from her house? B)

Are you talking about the MAPS Museum Cal? I thought that was a aviation museum...not strictly limited to WWII....unless we are thinking of something else? The old 356th Fighter Group restaurant is closed up now, no? Always liked that place.

Actually, yes. It does have a lot of WWII stuff. I misspoke. And yeah, that restaurant is closed. Couldn't compete

with the Texas Roadhouses...

btw, next time you get near that airport. Email me, we aren't all that far.....

I did visit the Big Hole Battlefield this past October....and made a repeat visit to The Little Bighorn.

And I also plan to visit the Moore's Creek Battlefield in North Carolina....perhaps as soon as this coming Sunday (March 29, 2015)

That is a Revolutionary War Battlefield.

For those of you who mentioned Outer Banks/NC Coast sunrises.....I will be staying on a NC beach for a week starting Saturday. I will have to check out those sunrises/sunsets. Where I am staying they claim you can see the sun rise at one end of the beach and set at the other end.

Is the outer banks far enough out to actually watch the sun set over the water to the west?

Is the outer banks far enough out to actually watch the sun set over the water to the west?

Parts of it certainly is. I took a ferry across Pamlico Sound and could not see land either to the east or to the west.

FYI, I saw a sunrise....it wasn't all that. Just a sunrise over water....same as any eastern facing. Nothing to compare to Haleakala.