Sign in to follow this  
The Gipper

The Gipper's Guide to America

On 1/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, The Gipper said:

I would have told you to go to AAA for your rental car the first thing.  I nearly always just do it that way.

And VRBO is good.   Alternately look at AirBnB.     I am looking at doing something like that in New York City later this year.  You can rent whole houses on either one.

Edit.....I did a search on VRBO for you....for May, near Yellowstone.   There look to be a number of good choices for May  (still offseason).  A number that sleep 6-8.

our plans are coming along - we do want to do some easier hiking - no serious killer stuff.  But a few hikes well back into the park, to see a pristine lake - I may have to jump in and swim in it just to know i did. I found out that Yellowstone Park has it's own fishing licenses - no other one needed. We aren't much on tourist traps - just beautiful scenery, some adventure.

Like our trip to Tenn - we went horseback riding, white water rafting (safe, family rafting on Ocoee river)) and hiking.I know out there, I'll have my backpack set up for first aid, emergencies etc. Interesting - the #1 item to take with you out there, is a bear bell.

I wonder how many snakes are out in Yellowstone? I read where someone used double thick cardboard and made snake guards for below their knees...

that seems silly.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

our plans are coming along - we do want to do some easier hiking - no serious killer stuff.  But a few hikes well back into the park, to see a pristine lake - I may have to jump in and swim in it just to know i did. I found out that Yellowstone Park has it's own fishing licenses - no other one needed. We aren't much on tourist traps - just beautiful scenery, some adventure.

Like our trip to Tenn - we went horseback riding, white water rafting (safe, family rafting on Ocoee river)) and hiking.I know out there, I'll have my backpack set up for first aid, emergencies etc. Interesting - the #1 item to take with you out there, is a bear bell.

I wonder how many snakes are out in Yellowstone? I read where someone used double thick cardboard and made snake guards for below their knees...

that seems silly.

Oh yes....I have used Bear Bells.   The next best thing to that is to sing  the chorus to The Midnight Special by CCR.repeatedly.    Never heard about the snake guard thing.  My brother just wore his (cowboy)  boots.   Usually if you stay on the trails you won't have a problem with snakes as they prefer to hide. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, Axe said:

Canyon De Chelly... Northeastern Arizona.. 👍

31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Been there a couple of times

They have created another National Park Unit...in Kentucky  called Camp Nelson NHS.   It is a Civil War era site...though not a battlefield.

It is in a fortuitous location for me....being just south of Lexington KY.   I am actually going to that area in April and can stop by.

https://www.nps.gov/cane/index.htm

This makes NPS unit #418.   I have been to 351 of them so far.   I plan to go to another in mid Feb....if the BOM gets out of the way.

I just have to find a place to pan for gold wherever we do end up going. We decided to go to Yellowstone next year - most any place we could find to stay within reason, was already booked. It'll take more planning well ahead.

Meanwhile, we are going together somewhere. Probably Smokies? don't know. Acadia in Maine? don't know.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:22 PM, calfoxwc said:

I just have to find a place to pan for gold wherever we do end up going. We decided to go to Yellowstone next year - most any place we could find to stay within reason, was already booked. It'll take more planning well ahead.

Meanwhile, we are going together somewhere. Probably Smokies? don't know. Acadia in Maine? don't know.

I will be going to Acadia in June. 

• Upvote 1