THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gipper's Guide to America

The Gipper

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since we both got sick this past week we had to cancel going to Boston/R.I., but we have rescheduled to go again Memorial Day week with two of her sisters & husbands and are staying that Fri-Monday at Whaler's Inn in Mystic Seaport. One of the reasons I loved Melville's Moby Dick was the details in the book about how the whaling ships operated. This is the big attraction in Mystic for me, the last remaining wooden hulled whaler, Charles W. Morgan, which is moored there. Have any of you been there?

https://www.mysticseaport.org/explore/morgan/

Actually if you want the real Moby Dick thing go to New Bedford Massachusetts to the whaling Museum there. That is actually where they filmed parts of the Moby dick starring Gregory Peck

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I am right now in Marshall TX waiting for the Wonderland of lights to start......about 20 minuets to dark. 

That is worth seeing. Went to it about 10 years ago. Georgetown, Tx. also now has some pretty good amount of lights around the courthouse/town square lite up every night.

Some notes about my latest trip:

1.  Attended my second away Browns game in Houston.   Previous one was in Nashville a couple of years ago.

2.  Went to 2 National Park units I had not been to before:

A. New Orleans Jazz.   They have a visitor center near the French Market, but in asking them there, they said that the location of the park was anywhere in the city where jazz was being played.   So, I did stop here and there to listen to the music that was being played all over town. Every third building on Bourbon St. had a band playing....plus all around Jackson Square

B. Jean Lafitte National Historic Park.  There were a couple of sections of this I visited.  The Brarataria Preserve, south of the city....which was set in the swamps of where Lafitte held sway in his various endeavours.   Also, the Chalmette Battlefield.  aka, the site of the Battle of New Orleans,  where the scrabbled unit of Americans led by Andrew Jackson made mincemeat out of the professional British Army.   Only 20 Americans killed there compared to 1500-2000 Brits.

3.Also drove another portion of the Natchez Trace, from  Jackson Miss. to Natchez.

4.  Also did a bit of a grand tour around Louisian Bayou country....from New Orleans over to Lafayette to Lake Charles and along the Creole Nature trail. 

Ate Crawfish etouffe....and liked it pretty well.   Did not have to peel the crawfish, which was a bonus.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, The Gipper said:

Actually if you want the real Moby Dick thing go to New Bedford Massachusetts to the whaling Museum there. That is actually where they filmed parts of the Moby dick starring Gregory Peck

We did that last trip. Sat in church pew where there is a sign that he had sat there, the scene of the sermon in Moby Dick. Loved the whaling museum as well. We also went to the Mayflower replica and could not fool the actress on board into believing her friend Elizabeth Tilley and John Howland were the umpteenth great grandparents to my wife, "But sir, Elizabeth is only 13!". LOL!

PS-whenever we went to the beach in Texas we always dug for Lafitte's rumored buried treasure.

• Upvote 1

With my trip to the Battle of New Orleans site, I have visited most of the sites of the major battles of The War of 1812.  At least those that occurred on American soil.   There are several in Canada that I have not been to.(the most decisive of which is called the Battle of the Thames).

The only one that I really have not been to is the Battle of Plattsburgh.  But that is deceiving, as that battle is also called the Battle of Lake Champlain, and like the Battle of Lake Erie, it really took place out on the water.  Though, I believe, like Lake Erie, there is  a museum dedicated to the battle on the lake there in the town of Plattsburgh, which I will have to try to get to someday.

Also, with my trip to New Orleans and the two National Park units there,   I have now visited  351 out of the 417 National Park units.

A great place to visit is Monterey California. Awseome food, great golf, and so close to San Francisco

Just bring lots of money. Very expensive

11 hours ago, Browns149 said:

A great place to visit is Monterey California. Awseome food, great golf, and so close to San Francisco

Yes, been there....stayed in Carmel....I actually think Clint Eastwood was Mayor when I was there.   Went to the Monterey Aquarium. Did the 17 mile drive.  Walked on Pebble Beach golf course.  But did not drive down the Big Sur highway (except for a short way)...that is on my bucket list.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, Browns149 said:

Especially if you visit the local East of Eden "house".💃😛

Oh wait, that was Salinas! LOL!

On 12/18/2018 at 9:49 AM, The Gipper said:

Yes, been there....stayed in Carmel....I actually think Clint Eastwood was Mayor when I was there.   Went to the Monterey Aquarium. Did the 17 mile drive.  Walked on Pebble Beach golf course.  But did not drive down the Big Sur highway (except for a short way)...that is on my bucket list.

We didn’t stay in Carmel. Too expensive. We did do the 17 mile drive and the aquarium. Couldn’t get on the golf course. It was the following week after the tournament. So it was closed until they took all the stands down

• 4 weeks later...

So, our basic date to go with friends in NC, to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons is the end of May. We'll rent a condo for a week.

Like sight-seeing, easy hiking, animal watching.... maybe some fishing for supper etc, a little safe adventure?

stuff about this trip that folks know is "can't miss" ?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

So, our basic date to go with friends in NC, to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons is the end of May. We'll rent a condo for a week.

Like sight-seeing, easy hiking, animal watching.... maybe some fishing for supper etc, a little safe adventure?

stuff about this trip that folks know is "can't miss" ?

Thanks.

Double check the requirements for a fishing license. It’ll cost a little bit to pick one up. But note I too will be going to Wyoming for a week in October staying in Jackson Wyoming. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

any better idea than flying in to Salt Lake City? It's a bit of a drive from there, and annoying to leave and have friends drop us off at a different time...

Check out flights into Idaho Falls or depending on where your staying into Billings Montana. The last time I went to Yellowstone I flew into Billings. I still have not purchased my airfare for my October Wyoming trip so I am looking at both of those options. Do you know where you are staying during your trip?

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

no, working on finding a rental condo type deal. or a cabin. something like that.

I may actually be able to  help you with that.  Seriously.   There are some 1BR condos available on my Timeshare website for around the time you want to go.  For a reasonable price.   Around $700.00 maybe  (more if you go into June).   Accomodates 2-4 people.  They are in Jackson WY.  

I will PM you.

Edit.   Cal....tried to PM you.  It says you cannot accept messages.   Your message box may be full.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

no, working on finding a rental condo type deal. or a cabin. something like that.

I may actually be able to  help you with that.  Seriously.   There are some 1BR condos available on my Timeshare website for around the time you want to go.  For a reasonable price.   Around $700.00 maybe  (more if you go into June).   Accomodates 2-4 people.  They are in Jackson WY.  

I will PM you.

Cal:   Check this link out:

https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1013

Edit....this one maybe better:

https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&languageCode=en&resortCode=JPI&parentResortCode=JPI#.XD0Hq9QrK9I

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Tried to PM you Cal.   

Sorry, Gip. There are six of us - we have to rent a van, with all our gear, etc. Although, we could rough it and pitch our tent in the living room. hmmm.

I don't know how to access my messages anymore. "der"

Can't find em to delete em. Very odd.

57 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Sorry, Gip. There are six of us - we have to rent a van, with all our gear, etc. Although, we could rough it and pitch our tent in the living room. hmmm.

I don't know how to access my messages anymore. "der"

Can't find em to delete em. Very odd.

OK yeah this place would be too small for six people. Have you checked out the cabins that are available inside the park. I stayed in one of those one night a few years back     You would need to make early reservations on those plus you’d probably have to get two or three of them which would be very hard. You will probably have to find something outside the park in like the West Yellowstone or Cody or Gardner Montana 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Thanks Gip ! We are researching a lot this week. I wonder how much snow there might be in May?

Some, I am sure.   I assume you have consulted this site.  If not...do so:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Also....look at this link for lodging and camping in the park:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/eatingsleeping.htm

• Thanks 1

nope ! Thankis ! We're laughing over their getting there from NC and us getting there from OH, near to the same time,

can't find a van to rent? They want to fly non-stop, so it's Salt Lake City, though we could fly in from Cleveland to Billings...

But we're having fun planning.

lol. No, our friends don't camp. They rented a cabin we all stayed in the last big vacation, in Tennessee - they upgraded us to

an octagonal beautiful wrap around picture windows across the overlook, up on the mountaintop. We had a blast.

They are dear longtime friends.

Now, my Wife and I love tent camping - but backpacking camping is going to happen with her, lol, so - everybody has their limits.

Gotta have hot showers. I think I'm going to be working on this all evening.

If I call one more rental car place, and talk to one more foreign person who has an accent that I can't quite understand while they jibber jabber so fast...

I'm not going to be very nice.  Interesting - I called AAA, and this guy was an expert, found different solutions in about one minute.

He's been doing it for 30 years.

Said about a place to stay - go to Vacations Rentals by Owner. He has friends who use it a lot - they swear by it.

https://www.vrbo.com/home

I would have told you to go to AAA for your rental car the first thing.  I nearly always just do it that way.

And VRBO is good.   Alternately look at AirBnB.     I am looking at doing something like that in New York City later this year.  You can rent whole houses on either one.

Edit.....I did a search on VRBO for you....for May, near Yellowstone.   There look to be a number of good choices for May  (still offseason).  A number that sleep 6-8.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Found this on youtube concerning top 10 places to see for a western America trip.

I have been to all of these except the antelope Canyon which was not open to the public for tours when I went through that area. Also the valley of fire I have just driven through but not really spent a lot of time in it. Also they did not include Yellowstone on this list. I wondered if that is an oversight or if they intended to include Yellowstone is part of their Jackson hole entry. Also I don’t think I saw a crater lake in there. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have been to all of these except the antelope Canyon which was not open to the public for tours when I went through that area. Also the valley of fire I have just driven through but not really spent a lot of time in it. Also they did not include Yellowstone on this list. I wondered if that is an oversight or if they intended to include Yellowstone is part of their Jackson hole entry. Also I don’t think I saw a crater lake in there. 

I like the fact they keep Rocky Mountain National Park a secret. I loved hiking up the headwaters of the Colorado on the western slope there all by myself last Oct.😍

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I like the fact they keep Rocky Mountain National Park a secret. I loved hiking up the headwaters of the Colorado on the western slope there all by myself last Oct.😍

I think we could probably come up with another list of 10 Top Western destinations to see on top of the 10 they mentioned.

1. Yellowstone

2. Crater Lake

3. Rocky Mtn NP

4. Glacier NP

5. The Redwoods

6. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison

7. Arches and Canyonlands NPs

8. Bryce Canyon

9.  Sedona AZ

10.  Yosemite    

I don't think any of the above were listed in this video...were they?