THE BROWNS BOARD

Legalize Mary Jane??????

Chicopee John

Confession: Two Buried Dead Friend

1 Kills Self, 1 Charged After Fatal Night Of Drinking

David Eisenbach (COURTESY CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION / March 30, 2010)

March 30, 2010

WATERBURY - Eight days after 24-year-old Michael Weaving disappeared, his friend called police to confess that he had helped bury Weaving's body near a campsite in Southbury.

David Eisenbach, 23, told police that he and another friend, Thomas Curley, had been drinking on March 18 when they began picking on Weaving by lighting his blanket on fire. He said that Curley also lit Weaving's shirt and pants on fire and touched him with "hot coal sticks." At one point, Weaving didn't notice that he was on fire until his blanket was "halfway engulfed," according to court documents.

According to Eisenbach's statement, he left Weaving with Curley and returned the next morning to find Weaving's burned, lifeless body.

"I found Mike laying on his back burned, scarred and [with a] bloodied face," Eisenbach told authorities, according to an affidavit for an arrest warrant. "I ran over, took his pulse. It was silent and ice cold. So was his body."

Eisenbach, of 17 Pomperaug Trail in Southbury, was arraigned Monday at Superior Court in Waterbury on one count each of aiding and abetting murder, first-degree assault, reckless endangerment and sale of narcotics. His public defender asked for a mental health evaluation and requested that he be placed on suicide watch.

Eisenbach was held, with bail set at $2.5 million, and is scheduled to return to court on April 14.

Curley, who would have turned 22 on Sunday, killed himself last Wednesday in a shed behind his Naugatuck home with a single gunshot wound to the head, the warrant states. His mother found his body. Police had interviewed him earlier that day.

In court documents, Curley is listed as an accomplice in Weaving's death.

Eisenbach was arrested on Saturday. Police said he changed his story several times during interviews.

He initially told officers that he and Weaving drank vodka at Platt Park in Southbury before heading to a beach near Flood Bridge Road. At that point, he initially told police, they split off and he never saw Weaving again.

After learning of Curley's death, Eisenbach asked police, "I just want to know one thing: Did Curley leave a note?" the warrant states.

Eisenbach later admitted that he and Curley took turns lighting Weaving's blanket and clothing on fire. He said he left the campsite and went home on March 18, and when he returned early the next day, he discovered Weaving's body.

"Mike was laying on his back. ... His eyes were closed. His face was disfigured," he told police, according to the warrant.

Eisenbach told authorities that he helped carry the tools that Curley used to bury Weaving. Curley "covered him with leaves, then dug a hole and put him in and covered [him]," the warrant states.

Then Curley told Eisenbach: "You take this to your grave," according to court papers.

Weaving, an avid guitar player, was studying to become an X-ray technician, his uncle, Paul West, said in an e-mail Monday.

"He was the heart of the family. He was always pursuing his dreams," West said.

The state Medical Examiner's Office has not yet confirmed the identity of the remains found March 25 by state police troopers near the Pomperaug Trail.

-- Courant staff writer Bill Leukhardt contributed to this story

Confession: Two Buried Dead Friend

1 Kills Self, 1 Charged After Fatal Night Of Drinking

David Eisenbach (COURTESY CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION / March 30, 2010)

March 30, 2010

WATERBURY - Eight days after 24-year-old Michael Weaving disappeared, his friend called police to confess that he had helped bury Weaving's body near a campsite in Southbury.

David Eisenbach, 23, told police that he and another friend, Thomas Curley, had been drinking on March 18 when they began picking on Weaving by lighting his blanket on fire. He said that Curley also lit Weaving's shirt and pants on fire and touched him with "hot coal sticks." At one point, Weaving didn't notice that he was on fire until his blanket was "halfway engulfed," according to court documents.

According to Eisenbach's statement, he left Weaving with Curley and returned the next morning to find Weaving's burned, lifeless body.

"I found Mike laying on his back burned, scarred and [with a] bloodied face," Eisenbach told authorities, according to an affidavit for an arrest warrant. "I ran over, took his pulse. It was silent and ice cold. So was his body."

Eisenbach, of 17 Pomperaug Trail in Southbury, was arraigned Monday at Superior Court in Waterbury on one count each of aiding and abetting murder, first-degree assault, reckless endangerment and sale of narcotics. His public defender asked for a mental health evaluation and requested that he be placed on suicide watch.

Eisenbach was held, with bail set at $2.5 million, and is scheduled to return to court on April 14.

Curley, who would have turned 22 on Sunday, killed himself last Wednesday in a shed behind his Naugatuck home with a single gunshot wound to the head, the warrant states. His mother found his body. Police had interviewed him earlier that day.

In court documents, Curley is listed as an accomplice in Weaving's death.

Eisenbach was arrested on Saturday. Police said he changed his story several times during interviews.

He initially told officers that he and Weaving drank vodka at Platt Park in Southbury before heading to a beach near Flood Bridge Road. At that point, he initially told police, they split off and he never saw Weaving again.

After learning of Curley's death, Eisenbach asked police, "I just want to know one thing: Did Curley leave a note?" the warrant states.

Eisenbach later admitted that he and Curley took turns lighting Weaving's blanket and clothing on fire. He said he left the campsite and went home on March 18, and when he returned early the next day, he discovered Weaving's body.

"Mike was laying on his back. ... His eyes were closed. His face was disfigured," he told police, according to the warrant.

Eisenbach told authorities that he helped carry the tools that Curley used to bury Weaving. Curley "covered him with leaves, then dug a hole and put him in and covered [him]," the warrant states.

Then Curley told Eisenbach: "You take this to your grave," according to court papers.

Weaving, an avid guitar player, was studying to become an X-ray technician, his uncle, Paul West, said in an e-mail Monday.

"He was the heart of the family. He was always pursuing his dreams," West said.

The state Medical Examiner's Office has not yet confirmed the identity of the remains found March 25 by state police troopers near the Pomperaug Trail.

-- Courant staff writer Bill Leukhardt contributed to this story

Huh? I've been on a few drunken binges in my life, but I have never done this. I blame the people involved. Obviously these people had other issues.

That story is so damn crazy, it sucks they were such assholes, there had to be somekind of underlining problem there. Its so wierd that three topics the last forever in an argument is GOD, GOVERNMENT, and WEED.

Based on this story then the answer here John is to make alcohol illegal. I wouldn't be a fan of that but it's not as if MJ has no long term effects. Marijuana has been studied enough to know that there are changes in brain and lung tissue. People argue about amotivational syndrome but I do believe it's real. Cognitive decline with poor analytic skills is real for MJ as it is for alcohol. Marijuana has as many, if not more, irritants and carcinogens than tobacco smoke. I think that the arguments to legalize it are weak and basically rationalizing the wishful thinking.

I've got a 48 year old guy in my practice right now who's demented from booze and it's freakin' sad.

Just one doctor's opinion.

BTW, I read that article this weekend and that. is. messed. up.

Based on this story then the answer here John is to make alcohol illegal.

Thanks for your perspective, Earl. Being a physician, you know what you are talking about.

If MJ is illegal then, by all means, so should alcohol. I've been known to tip one or two now and then and I have seen plenty of misery sourced from alcohol. But I like it.

You've done a pretty good job describing the ill-affects of alcohol. I can't see how MJ - from a medical, not political perspective - is any worse than booze. Therefore..............

It's the distinction that bothers me the most. I have enough trouble handling a couple of drafts so I don't see a need to graduate to something else. However, .......

Just some thoughts to compliment yours.

Thanks for your perspective, Earl. Being a physician, you know what you are talking about.

If MJ is illegal then, by all means, so should alcohol. I've been known to tip one or two now and then and I have seen plenty of misery sourced from alcohol. But I like it.

You've done a pretty good job describing the ill-affects of alcohol. I can't see how MJ - from a medical, not political perspective - is any worse than booze. Therefore..............

It's the distinction that bothers me the most. I have enough trouble handling a couple of drafts so I don't see a need to graduate to something else. However, .......

Just some thoughts to compliment yours.

John, that's a fair assessment. I would add that while I don't like the idea of legalizing MJ, at least it does have one medical application which cannot be said for booze.

Archived