THE BROWNS BOARD

Does anyone listen to good music these days?

Pumpkin Eater

A walk to and from my classes at my college campus reveals some of the shittiest music I've ever heard coming from cars. Hip hop and Reggaeton or how ever it is spelled is nothing but complete crap. And about reggaeton, what is the appeal of 2080987087070 different songs that sound exactly the same to the exact same beat?

New music is terrible and completely unoriginal.

A walk to and from my classes at my college campus reveals some of the shittiest music I've ever heard coming from cars. Hip hop and Reggaeton or how ever it is spelled is nothing but complete crap. And about reggaeton, what is the appeal of 2080987087070 different songs that sound exactly the same to the exact same beat?

Dude there is tons of good music out now. These are the same fags listening to Lady Gaga, actually thinking they are good musicians. You can't blame them, they are nieve and sheltered, it's easy and they don't have to think about the material. Every commercial rap song uses the same hyper egoistic mentality that spurs materialism, objectification of women and fear of gays. Today's "country" is worse then rap. If you want I can post 100 bands that rock and good some rap. People that actually have something to say and not say the same word for a 60 second chorus like in shit rap. Let me know....

Lets see it. Start with Posting the 10 worst bands.

But one guy everyone loves or appreciates is Johnny Cash.

Shit, I'm not going to rate them. Every artist brings something new to the table. And yes Cash is King.

White Stripes, The Black Keys, The Cold War Kids, Sage Francis, Spoon, The Kooks, Silversun Pickups, Ray LaMontagne, The Hives, Bright Eyes, Modest Mouse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mos Def, MGMT.

You might not like rap, but in the second video, at least this guy is saying something. Agree with it or not, as a musician writing lyrics like this is damn near impossible, especially relating it to the shit rap out there.

Shit, I'm not going to rate them. Every artist brings something new to the table. And yes Cash is King.

White Stripes, The Black Keys, The Cold War Kids, Sage Francis, Spoon, The Kooks, Silversun Pickups, Ray LaMontagne, The Hives, Bright Eyes, Modest Mouse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mos Def, MGMT.

You might not like rap, but in the second video, at least this guy is saying something. Agree with it or not, as a musician writing lyrics like this is damn near impossible, especially relating it to the shit rap out there.

Never heard of any of them

How old are you? If you're going to college, you're in the minority. I like all kinds of music, rock, classical, even some country. My favorite artists are the Doors, the Eagles, Journey, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Sting, Blue Oyster Cult, Janis Joplin, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Steve Miller Band, etc. I would have to agree with new music sucking. And Rap is shit.

How old are you? If you're going to college, you're in the minority. I like all kinds of music, rock, classical, even some country. My favorite artists are the Doors, the Eagles, Journey, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Sting, Blue Oyster Cult, Janis Joplin, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Steve Miller Band, etc. I would have to agree with new music sucking. And Rap is shit.

Those are all really good bands DieHard (Zeppelin is great), but there are only so many times I can hear Jet Airliner and Peace Frog. If you like Zeppelin and/or Allman Brothers you would like Akron's own, The Black Keys.

p.s. there is a lot of "new music" that sound like the bands you mentioned. It's just not on the radio.

This may need more cowbell.

Great tune. They had some stupid shit in the 80's sort of like ZZ Top, but from the 70's is where their better music came from. Rich Girl is a great tune as well.

T, have you watched the Sage Francis video I posted. I know you don't like rap. This shit is different. It actually makes you stop and think EACH measure. Like I said you might not agree with some of the stuff, but take it for what it's worth. It's very well crafted lyrics. I wish Steve would chime in on this.

At 1:33 he's talking about Kennedy. Don't worry about the beginning or end, just listen and watch the guts.

I'm about to turn 31.

My favorite popular bands are Pink Floyd, Avenged Sevenfold, Skynyrd, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Gerry Rafferty, G 'n R, Outkast, The Kinks, Metallica, Van Halen, Queens of the Stone Age, and Primus and of course Johnny Cash.

I do like Modest Mouse and the White Stripes, and some other relatively unknowns are Earl Greyhound, The Outlaws, Kings of Leon, Alberta Cross.

Some once popular but forgotten favorites are Canned Heat, Doc Watson, Scruggs & Flatt, Tonic

Dude there is tons of good music out now. These are the same fags listening to Lady Gaga, actually thinking they are good musicians. You can't blame them, they are nieve and sheltered, it's easy and they don't have to think about the material. Every commercial rap song uses the same hyper egoistic mentality that spurs materialism, objectification of women and fear of gays. Today's "country" is worse then rap. If you want I can post 100 bands that rock and good some rap. People that actually have something to say and not say the same word for a 60 second chorus like in shit rap. Let me know....

list some more, I agree with your assessment of popular music of today.

I'm about to turn 31.

My favorite popular bands are Pink Floyd, Avenged Sevenfold, Skynyrd, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Gerry Rafferty, G 'n R, Outkast, The Kinks, Metallica, Van Halen, Queens of the Stone Age, and Primus and of course Johnny Cash.

I do like Modest Mouse and the White Stripes, and some other relatively unknowns are Earl Greyhound, The Outlaws, Kings of Leon, Alberta Cross.

Some once popular but forgotten favorites are Canned Heat, Doc Watson, Scruggs & Flatt, Tonic

Kings of Leon, one of the best bands to come around in the last 5 - 10 years.

Jay Reatard RIP. I think the best song of 2009, and the verse is one of the best. Also a band I just saw, the video is great.....

p.s. Queens is one of my favorite bands of all time. Very complete.

I agree.

The problem is POP has been squeezed out of the market...or off the radio play lists.

Most of those people are steered to the country market...which is ok, but I like my country in the country/western mold more than the country/pop mold, but it is what it is. It still works.

Another big void in current music is the lack of black artists who play solid music that appeals to the masses. Back in the day people like Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Dianna Ross, Gladys Knight had a sound everybody liked. Now, you have to be pretty young or pretty dumb to listen to the crap.

Right now, Michael Buble tops my easy listening list. That Sinatra sound playing classic standards. The guy is fabulous.

Right now, Michael Buble tops my easy listening list. That Sinatra sound playing classic standards. The guy is fabulous.

He's a hack. I can sing better. Just listen to him, no vibrato AT ALL. He sings to hear himself sing, no point to it other than making money. Put down the Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche records.

He's okay, but I wouldn't compare him to the great Frank Sinatra.

All I said was the Sinatra sound, which he has.

I don't compare people to Sinatra, who I saw several times just as I don't compare people to Elvis who I also saw multiple time.

As far as being a hack....he is far from that.....Kosar is the hack.

Dude there is tons of good music out now. These are the same fags listening to Lady Gaga, actually thinking they are good musicians.

Lady Gaga is an outstanding musician.

It's just too bad that the only thing that sells is the shitty pop sound that's around now.

Proof:

All I said was the Sinatra sound, which he has.

I don't compare people to Sinatra, who I saw several times just as I don't compare people to Elvis who I also saw multiple time.

As far as being a hack....he is far from that.....Kosar is the hack.

Don't cry because you have no taste in music. Turn off the radio and put down the Jonas Brothers cd.

He's a hack. I can sing better. Just listen to him, no vibrato AT ALL. He sings to hear himself sing, no point to it other than making money. Put down the Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche records.

I like Buble a lot.

You say a reason he is a bad singer is because he has no vibrato?

First off, he does have some. Just listen to the song Ballpeen posted.

Second, I think that's a big reason a lot of people like him. He is just a really good singer. He doesn't try to do way too much. His music is just easy to listen to.

If his whole goal of singing is to make money, he's doing a pretty good job of it.

It's hard to list music favorites because you always feel like you leave someone off but here is my attempt.

Electric Light Orchestra is probably my favorite band of all time, up there with Queen, Chicago, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and The Traveling Wilbury's (though they only made two albums).

Favorite solo artists of all time are probably Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Jim Croce and Randy Newman.

New stuff? I like Jack Johnson, Jet, The Killers, Shery Crow, Five For Fighting, etc. I actually think there is a lot of good music out there but a lot of it just isn't what's most popular. You kind of have to look for it.

Yea right after watching this I am going to watch the Jonas Brothers. She's a joke.

What makes her successful doesn't define her level of talent. If you watch that video and still don't think she has talent, then you're just closed-minded and don't like the type of music she's playing. She would be very good at this genre of music, but the money's in pop, so that's what she went with.

Also, I didn't say anything about the Jonas brothers, they DO suck. Much, much worse than the video I posted.

I've been listening to a lot of State Radio recently. I prefer their older stuff personally, but I really enjoy their sound

I def agree with The Black Keys and The White Stripes as well. I'd also recommend Ben Harper, Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears, G. Love & the Special Sauce and even Cage the Elephant for some bluesy music.

Also recommend the new Hendrix album.

What makes her successful doesn't define her level of talent. If you watch that video and still don't think she has talent, then you're just closed-minded and don't like the type of music she's playing. She would be very good at this genre of music, but the money's in pop, so that's what she went with.

Also, I didn't say anything about the Jonas brothers, they DO suck. Much, much worse than the video I posted.

Sorry bro. I just think her music and talent is a dime a dozen.

Archived