THE BROWNS BOARD

Position Update - RB

WPB Dawg Fan

This guy is amazing. He is now preparing to be in the backfield not only as a gimmick...but as a TRUE RB!!!

And he wants to do it on a more full time basis next year!!!

Cribbs ready for whatever's next

Steve King, Staff Writer

Some people have a full day at work.

Then there's the Browns' Joshua Cribbs.

He already returns punts and kickoffs, plays on all the special teams coverage units and works as a reserve wide receiver.

Now, because of a slew of injuries in the backfield involving running backs Jason Wright (stinger) and Jerome Harrison (hamstring), and fullback Lawrence Vickers (ankle), he may be asked to spend some time there as well on Sunday when the Houston Texans visit Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Correction. More time there. He's lined up next to the quarterback and as the quarterback from time to time this season.

And if there's more? Cribbs says bring it on.

"I've said all along that the more you can do for your team in the NFL, the better," Cribbs said before practice on Thursday. "I came into this league saying I'd play any position for my team, and whenever the situation arises, I'm honored to be counted on at that position."

On a temporary basis only, he insists, not wanting to step on anyone's toes.

"I can't fill those guys' shoes," he said of the running backs. "They're very athletic and very talented. It's not like I'm going in and taking anyone's spot. It's just an emergency precautionary step we have to take."

Emergency situations are Cribbs' specialty. He's built for chaotic situations because of his versatility.

Is there a position on the field he can't play?

"I would like to say no," he said. "I think I could step in at any spot. If we had a lot of linemen go down, put me at tackle or put me at guard. I can long snap. And in Pop Warner ball, I was a linebacker."

Cribbs had been a slash-type quarterback at Kent State, where he ran the ball about as many times as he threw it on his way to scoring a combined total of 93 touchdowns. He said when he came to the Browns in 2005, they were well-stocked at running back with the likes of Reuben Droughns, who had the team's first 1,000-yard season in 20 years with 1,232.

He never planned at being a pro quarterback, so "the next-best thing," as he calls it, was to move to wide receiver. After all, he explained, he threw to the wide receivers at Kent - sometimes, anyway.

Now, though, he's starting to think that running back may be his more natural position, and would welcome a switch there next season if the coaches think it would help the team. When he wasn't throwing, or running himself, at Kent, he was handing off to a back. No matter what he did, it all began in the backfield. That's where he has always felt most comfortable.

"When I ran in college at quarterback running the ball, it was, ‘Go follow those blockers and make a play,' " he said. "It's what you do at running back. It's what you do as a returner. Being a returner is just like being a running back."

Cribbs got his first rushing TD in his four-year NFL career last Monday night in the 29-27 win at Buffalo when he came roaring in from the flank, tookan insidehandoff and jumped over the goal line from two yards out.

"You try not to think about it, but you can't help but think about it," he said of his anticipation in getting a chance to carry the ball on Monday Night Football. "I knew when they called the play that it was going to go for a touchdown.

"I had a grin on my face as I was lining up, ready to score, but you probably couldn't see it because of the cold.

"There is no doubt when I get the ball that close to the goal line, it's going to be a touchdown."

It always was when he was with the Golden Flashes, so why not now?

"But this is not like college," Cribbs pointed out. "The players up here are bigger and stronger than they were in college."

But isn't he bigger and stronger, too?

"Exactly," he said.

"So we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

No doubt Cribbs will be ready on Sunday for whatever he's asked to do. Now, just how many more carries does he think he has in him?

"As many as it takes," he said.

That's just the kind of answer you'd expect from someone like Joshua Cribbs.

I LOVE THIS!!!

Could you imagine the sets we could put out there with Cribbs/Harrison/Lewis all alternating....and the 2 back sets? Who needs WR's when you have that plus K2 and Rucker at TE???

Hot damn I love that guy! Is there any position on the team where Cribbs ISN'T an option?

His attitude is great and he just doesn't go down on first contact. That's a boat load of TD's in college and he averaged nearly 1000 yards rushing per season. He's a phenom.

So, forget my threory on him being the #3 QB. It's just too much. BQ at #1, KD at #2, journeyman to be named later at #3, then Cribbs as an emergency.

Oh, and this just in. He's been named the back up for the mayor of Cleveland.

Hmm.

Exactly how big is Cribbs. Does he really want to shorten his career? If he changes positions your looking at another injury waiting to happen.

6'1" 215 but his heart is massive

You have been reported.

For being wayyy to funny. Hope thats an original cause it was a good one. :D

There is a reason my League 2 fantasy team is called the Cleveland Cribbs :P

I am SOOO tired of this TOO SMALL garbage!!!

Here are some interesting FACTS about the sizes of the TOP 10 RB's this year:

Height: 7 out of 10 are 6' or shorter (only AP 6'1", Jacobs 6'4" and Forte 6'2" are taller)

Weight: 8 out of 10 weigh 225 or less (only Jacobs 264 and Turner 244 weigh more), in fact 6 out of 10 weigh 217 or less

Here are some other interesting comparisons:

Harrison = Slaton (#12 this year) Both are 5'9"....(Harrison is 2 lbs heavier)

Harrison = C. Johnson (2" taller, but 5 lbs lighter)

Cribbs = AP (2 lbs heavier)

Cribbs = Forte (1" taller, 1 lb heavier)

So tell me again how OUR players can't do it...but THEIRS can...just based on size!!!

my question is, is there really any slack?

man. harrison must have fu-ked savage's, romeo's and chud's wives - to average 10+ yards per touch for the season and ride pine in this insanely exaggerated manner, anyway....

I think it is mainly in response to both Harrison and Wright still not practicing as of yesterday....and speculation over next year.

I have been asking for Cribbs to get a shot at RB since we drafted him, yet no one ever seemed to take this seriously. His college coach said he would be a first day draft pick had he played at RB in college. The kid has superhuman acceleration and thick legs. IF they give him a true shot at this, it could be his future.

Hot damn I love that guy! Is there any position on the team where Cribbs ISN'T an option?

His attitude is great and he just doesn't go down on first contact. That's a boat load of TD's in college and he averaged nearly 1000 yards rushing per season. He's a phenom.

So, forget my threory on him being the #3 QB. It's just too much. BQ at #1, KD at #2, journeyman to be named later at #3, then Cribbs as an emergency.

Oh, and this just in. He's been named the back up for the mayor of Cleveland.

Ready for this Ocon? As outrageous as this sounds I'd start him OVER either ILBer at this point. Does anyone ever watch him making tackle after tackle on kick coverages? Dude is an animal that never ONCE comes off the field and says: "I got blocked coach." Seriously, when Rogers dominates upfront the way he does, FAIR LBers should become decent LBers at the very least. How much easier can life be? When Rogers rotates out for oxygen - FAIR LBers become piss poor. In a 3-4 scheme, that's almost a white surrender flag.

As far as the RB thing goes, Harrison averaged about 11 yards a carry in the game 2 weeks ago and this last week that improved to about 27 yards a carry so I think we have talent at RB. I wish I didn't have to listen to the crackpipe logic that Harrison doesn't deserve to touch the ball more than 3 or 4 times per game while Lewis averages about 2 yards a carry. Defenses would stretch their alignments horizontally if they saw more of Harrison and that would create some rush friendly running lanes. But that would be too easy and RAC's motto is if he HAS to hear logical ideas from columnists BEFORE he's capable of thinking it up - his EGO would let it happen.

In a perfect world, Harrison becomes our Warrick Dunn and Cribbs becomes the solution to Candybones Stallworth. Now that DA is out of the lineup, we can run WR screens with Cribbs and do up some reverses.

- Tom F.

Archived