THE BROWNS BOARD

Cowher being pursued

We need Tom Tupa

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/20/...ursuing-cowher/

SOURCE: BROWNS PURSUING COWHER

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 5:00 p.m. EST

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Browns have approached former Steelers coach Bill Cowher regarding the possibility of becoming the next coach in Cleveland.

Per the source, the Browns are willing to give Cowher a contract worth $8 million to $9 million per year.

Presumably, Cowher’s arrival would occur only if G.M. Phil Savage were fired or significantly marginalized. (Maybe Savage can go work for the Bills — or if all else fails he can root for them.) Cowher would want final say over personnel, and Cowher would want to install one or more of his former Steelers colleagues into key positions.

Likely candidates, if they can finagle a path out of Pittsburgh, would be director of football operations Kevin Colbert and/or director of business operations Omar Khan.

Cowher played for the Browns (i.e., Ravens) from 1980 through 1982, and he served as special teams coach in 1985 and 1986. He was moved to defensive backs coach in 1987, and he remained in that position through 1988.

it worries me that he wants to be the GM as well as the HC. i just think that's too much for one person.

I will be very discouraged if we go through with this. I don't want ANY coach to have that much power in Cleveland again. I want Savage to remain. I'm not a big fan of Cowher at all, I would prefer Marty. Plus, it's going to be tough to get rid of Romeo when we go 8-8.

Jewdago if it were anyone else but bill cowher i would be inclined to agree he would be a newbie gm but a mean streaked one that would take no crap unfortunately marty has recently said he is done coaching...

Personally i would send opie back to mayberry in 1 second flat for cowher and would have already fired romeo with a severence package of lifetime dunkin doughnuts....

But i wouldnt buy to much into it all just yet i cant even imagine lerner turning his club over to a football man...or even a real coach.

Phil could stay but would have less say with cowher???

Gee its not like he has any say with RAC anyways he just sits there and lets romeo keep DA in amonst other things i hope we can get him but i wouldnt bank on it randy "pansy soccer punk" lerner doesnt have the balls to pull the trigger on this one..

It could also be cowhers nice way of telling soccer boy he doesnt want to coach for him so screw off..

I will be very discouraged if we go through with this. I don't want ANY coach to have that much power in Cleveland again. I want Savage to remain. I'm not a big fan of Cowher at all, I would prefer Marty. Plus, it's going to be tough to get rid of Romeo when we go 8-8.

Hard to get rid of Romeo for going 8-8? Marty got canned after going 14-2! (San Diego)

Sorry, guys, I don't believe for one instance that it will happen. Any speculation of Cower coaching anywhere is, just that, speculation.

Every game we lose there will be more speculation and every game we win, there will be guys jumping back on the Phil and RAC bandwagon.

The next rumor will be Phil bringing in his buddy, Ferentz.

i thought cowher had some GM duties during some part of his stay in pittsburgh. i could be wrong, though.

i'll say right now that i'm a savage guy. he identifies talent well and has put more of it on the field than any other new browns GM. i think he should stay on in some capacity, if not as the GM; director of scouting or director of player personnel seems along the lines of what i'm looking for.

it's romeo's decision to switch quarterbacks, not savage's. all savage does is put the team together. it's romeo's decision as to who starts, who plays, how many touches guys get, etc. putting quinn in wasn't savage's call. the only two people who have the final say over who gets to play and who sits are the head coach and the owner.

in the event we don't get cowher as our GM and head coach, who would you like to see take over as GM? we've discussed head coaches a lot, but no one's said anything about who they'd like to replace savage. since you're are dissatisfied with his work, who do you think would do a better job?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/20/...ursuing-cowher/

SOURCE: BROWNS PURSUING COWHER

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 5:00 p.m. EST

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Browns have approached former Steelers coach Bill Cowher regarding the possibility of becoming the next coach in Cleveland.

Per the source, the Browns are willing to give Cowher a contract worth $8 million to $9 million per year.

Presumably, Cowher's arrival would occur only if G.M. Phil Savage were fired or significantly marginalized. (Maybe Savage can go work for the Bills — or if all else fails he can root for them.) Cowher would want final say over personnel, and Cowher would want to install one or more of his former Steelers colleagues into key positions.

Likely candidates, if they can finagle a path out of Pittsburgh, would be director of football operations Kevin Colbert and/or director of business operations Omar Khan.

Cowher played for the Browns (i.e., Ravens) from 1980 through 1982, and he served as special teams coach in 1985 and 1986. He was moved to defensive backs coach in 1987, and he remained in that position through 1988.

Cowher is NOT going to work for Savage whom he probably regards as inadequate as good football people would. And Cowher was essentially GM and Coach his last several years in Pittsburgh after he and Tom Donahoe the former GM(sp and name both wrong) got tangled and the Steelers chose to give Cowher full throttle.

Why would an accomplished winner like Cowher work for an accomplished loser like Savage

Good....I hope it happens.

Cowher isn't going to take a Romeo deal where somebody else has roster control.

No good coach is.....only people desperate for the title would do that.

JMO

i've learned to not believe any local sports rumor unless it is reported in the Plain Dealer or on local TV news. This story was on Channel 5 this evening. If we get Bill, it will be the best Browns news that i've heard since the announcement that the team was returning in 1999. The part that is weird is that if Bill won't partner with Savage, then who is approaching him? And if it is a close confidant of Lerner's, who leaked this? Again, this was covered on local TV. It's more than an internet rumor.

For the record, i believe the odds of Bill coming here are 50/50, and will remain at that level until he makes a decision.

Of course Cowher wants some control over the personnel. This team is full of shitty draft picks, especially at linebacker. He wants to put his own twist on things, probably bring some Squealers over like Savage brought his Rat Turds over.

i will not root for a cowher team. we'd never hear the end of it from the stools.

If Cowher joins the team, he'd be the most hated man in Pittsburgh. That's reason enough for me to want him.

i know where you're coming from. i hated Bill Nelson. The moment we got him in a trade with the Steelers (for QB Dick Shiner), he was instantly one of my favorites. Now that was a player with heart. He could have put up HOF numbers if he didn't start his career with such a lousy Steeler team. He had virtually no knees left when he came to the Browns, and yet led the team to the playoffs in 3 out of 4 years.

I would be ECSTATIC with Cowher as head coach. What's not to like about the guy? Capable, confident, a winner, fiery, demands respect, a true leader, knows when to get out of the way of his coaches.

His youngest daughter's a senior this year. Empty nester as of May.

I'd say the odds of him coaching next year are 100%. With us? I'd say better than 50/50.

Jewdago if it were anyone else but bill cowher i would be inclined to agree he would be a newbie gm but a mean streaked one that would take no crap unfortunately marty has recently said he is done coaching...

Personally i would send opie back to mayberry in 1 second flat for cowher and would have already fired romeo with a severence package of lifetime dunkin doughnuts....

But i wouldnt buy to much into it all just yet i cant even imagine lerner turning his club over to a football man...or even a real coach.

Phil could stay but would have less say with cowher???

Gee its not like he has any say with RAC anyways he just sits there and lets romeo keep DA in amonst other things i hope we can get him but i wouldnt bank on it randy "pansy soccer punk" lerner doesnt have the balls to pull the trigger on this one..

It could also be cowhers nice way of telling soccer boy he doesnt want to coach for him so screw off..

Great effin post!...I laughed my ass off!

Guest ATENEARS

It's mid-season .... there is no way this would leak down to the level of dollar figures and terms of a deal. Hell, such details aren't usually even available AFTER a signing, let alone in this situation.

No, this is yet another assine belly-aching whine from collerctive Browns fans that will once again tarnsih another half a season. They got their whiney ass way with Brady Quinn and before that dust settles, they get their cries heard regarding something else (a coaching change).

Yeah ... Cowher has to be real interested in coming here ... to coach for this fan base ....

Maybe he is out of touch with reality and thinks this is the same fan base we had here in the 80's, and not the cry babies we are today.

Bellichick has got to be laughing in his film room.

He could have put up HOF numbers if he didn't start his career with such a lousy Steeler team. He had virtually no knees left when he came to the Browns, and yet led the team to the playoffs in 3 out of 4 years.

I agree.

Bill Nelson is sort of a forgotten man when people talk about Cleveland Browns QBs.

I thought he was one of the better ones we ever had.

I am honestly on the fence with all of this.

On the one hand...I think we need a change at coach.

On the other hand....I am not sure Cowher is what we need.

Just one of the reasons I have reservations is Cordell Stewart - Cowher had blinders on for this guy at QB...and it cost the Steelers on a regular basis!!!

I just believe that Newsome and the front staff as a whole did a great job of giving him players that fit the mold of smashmouth football...and Cowher never had to make any major adjustments.

Also, I think that combining the GM/HC position is a HUGE mistake.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Just one of the reasons I have reservations is Cordell Stewart - Cowher had blinders on for this guy at QB...and it cost the Steelers on a regular basis!!!

I just believe that Newsome and the front staff as a whole did a great job of giving him players that fit the mold of smashmouth football...and Cowher never had to make any major adjustments.

Anyway, just my opinion.

"Smashmouth" being the key word. I believe that comes from the coaching staff and team leaders. Cleveland hasn't had it in years. I don't know who the perfect coach would be, but I do believe that "Smashmouth" is again the key word....and Romeo....not so much!

Anyway, just my opinion.

Also, this gives Pitt fan even more leverage against us. If Cowher doesn't turn this team into a winner all we'll hear is how we can't even win by hiring the enemy. I just see more bad than good coming out of this, and you are exactly correct regarding Queerdell. A lot of Pitt die hards never were that much in love with Cowher and had lots of issues with his failure to advance far enough with a lot of really, really good teams.

Basically, until he got the gift in the Indy game and won the Referee Bowl, he was looked at as a failure in a lot of ways.

That being said, I can't say I would be horribly upset with this if it did happen, although I don't believe he should have too much control nor should he want it. I would think he and Phillip could work together amicably.

Archived