THE BROWNS BOARD

What was the first car you ever owned? or your Favorite car

Mr. T

then 1971 Opel GT (google image)

orange of course

The mini Corvette, I had a 1975 'vette in Corvette Orange

the handling over bumps in the Opel was awful - felt the road too much- how about in the Vette?

like you I fixed my own stuff - and I learned that on my first cars to save $$ (alot of trial and error)

The old vetts (prior to 1968 mako shark restyling) were true sports cars light and rough then they started to make them heavier, more plush, rattle and sound proofing, more comfortable as we called them "pussy wagons". Even chicks were buying them.

My first vette a 1975 I bought in 1977 for $7,900 with 14,000 miles was owned by a girl, easy riding compared to 1963, 1967 and others I've been in.

Oh BTW I had a friend a local TV weatherman that collected Opals, bought rough ones and fixed them up.

my very first car, if I haven't said it way earlier....was a 1962 Ford Falcon, a funny graduation gift from my Parents.

I knew how to do all my own work within reason on it. The first car I bought was a 1966 Chevy Belaire.

3 on the column, (standard), and a beautiful metallic dark cherry red. Had a Chevy 250 engine.... 155 hp.

4 door. We double dated in it a lot, drove it to central Ontario with 86,000 miles on it - was perfect. I should

have kept that engine. Probably would have always kept that wonderful car, but the shock mounts rusted off...

added an eight track tape player to it. below the dash....but got tired of listening to my best friend's brother's tape of

3 Dog Night. You can only listen to "Jeramiah was a bullfrog" so many times, so I took it back out....my

Beach Boys tape went bad and broke, so.........lol

1966_chevrolet_bel_air-pic-5900521691142

Oooohhh 3 on the tree. Just like my dad's new 1963 Ford station wagon that I learned to drive in.

Got it in 1962 when I was 12 and built our new house with it in 62-63, and seemed like hundreds of trips to 84 lumber in Brookfield, OH.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 8:46 AM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

2694db54a545889f3b4762c4fb1e5b97.jpg

Nice! A buddy had a 1965 GTO 389 red convertible with white leather interior  when he was in high school! Worked in a gas station two houses up from his house.We had a ball in that car for a few years. 

While my first car was a hand-me-down from my parents, a mint-green '85 Toyota Tercel hatchback, technically my first car was a '50 Chevy Coupe. I bought it when I turned 16 with grand plans to fix it up, but then realized how incredibly expensive that is to do on what was a 40+ year old car, especially when you know next to nothing about cars. I did get to drive it around the block a few times (man, what a boat), it had a Powerglide automatic transmission. Was lucky enough to sell it for what I paid for it years later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2010 at 4:18 PM, The Gipper said:

I also later had a car just about like the one in the French Connection, same color and all, except, I am sure, without the beefed up engine:

511.jpg

On 7/28/2017 at 6:32 AM, FairHooker11 said:

1969 Pontiac Custom CC-33-114-800.jpg

Theres a couple that get me going^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^......my first car was a 1971 Pontiac LeMans T-37.....and that started my Pontiac love affair that led to 2 Trans Ams.....3 1967 Firebirds....2 other LeMans.....a Grand Prix.....and a couple Bonnevilles.....

Here is my latest '67......completely restored by moi.....

230437_1370846487432_6028539_n.jpg.49fef2539038492b4f5cf25c8d04d235.jpg

1 minute ago, Mudfly said:

Theres a couple that get me going......my first car was a 1971 Pontiac LeMans T-37.....and that started my Pontiac love affair that led to 2 Trans Ams.....3 1967 Firebirds....2 other LeMans.....a Grand Prix.....and a couple Bonnevilles.....

Here is my latest '67......completely restored by moi.....

230437_1370846487432_6028539_n.jpg.49fef2539038492b4f5cf25c8d04d235.jpg

very nice-Is that  a 68 Formula 400?  

I remember my dad taking me with to (then) Jay Pontiac (in Bedford?) when he traded in his 65 Galaxie 500 to buy himself a brand new blue 67 Firebird.

Best car I ever owned was a V-8 '67 Mustang. Loved that car. 

I currently own a 2014 Mercedes CLA 250, metallic black, brown leather seats and all. It's right up there with and outperforms the Mustang with its turbo 4 cy.

Worst came with my wife, a '64 Chevy Corvair. Fortunately I kept the better of the two.:D

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I currently own a 2014 Mercedes CLA 250, metallic black, brown leather seats and all. It's right up there with and outperforms the Mustang with its turbo 4 cy.

Worst came with my wife, a '64 Chevy Corvair. Fortunately I kept the better of the two.:D

Ha.....I had a Corvair that I got for $100....worst car everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 minute ago, FairHooker11 said:

nice work -  I remember, his had a 326 also - (chevs 327 counterpart)

detail right down to the correct paint! 

+ armstrong steering too? haha

Yes.....hahaha.....manual everything......it's a workout to drive(and takes 2 feet to stop)   :)

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

thanks for the memories! 

never a better era than the late 60's for a tough car, sleepers included from any of the big 3!

dad ended up getting the firebird over (first) the camaro then the mustang...

he wasnt a chrysler guy

I had a 65 mustang, 69 Mach 1 but never got a 69 BOSS but thought about it got it's Chevrolet counterpart the 69 Camara Z-28 (both made originally for class C Trans Am racing circuit).

Never could get into a car with a chicken on the hood. But it's choice that made the 60s era American muscle car the best ever!

• 8 months later...

Football is in a down period but it's always favorite car time......any more?

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Football is in a down period but it's always favorite car time......any more?

Bought two modes of transportation when I got back from Vietnam, a 71 Toyota Corona with an AT in it that could probably beat any tortoise alive at that time. Let's just say getting up to interstate speed from an on ramp was a challenge.

And the other was a Honda CB 350 motorcycle. Now the dealer tried to sell me a 500cc squared off clunky looking thing "on sale" for just a few hundred $$s more, but in 1971 I had never heard the name BMW. When I told my German brother in law about buying the Honda over the BMW on sale I thought he was gonna kill me. He personally educated me as to what I had passed up.

what I always wanted since I was a teen - Dad said they rode pretty rough over chuckholes....lol

WWII Willys jeep. Someday.......

1200px-Covered_Willy's_jeep_Wings_Over_W

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

STRANGE MOTORCYCLE SADDLE W/ SIX GUN - HOLSTER AND BULLETS!

Texas license has changed from Conceal Carry to License to Carry which allows both concealed and open carry. Same exact qualifying rules for both and class covers it all since the rules are a bit different for whichever way you carry it here. I have actually rarely ever seen anyone carry it open other than in gun shops.

That picture looks like the old west has just changed the horse power out.:D

Archived