C. Gannet Peak

D. Harney Peak

E. High Point State Park

F. Humphrey Peak

G. King's Peak

H. Mt. Mitchell

I. Mt. Washington

J. Wheeler Peak

2. What 2 cities met in the final playoff for the first Stanley Cup that was decided by a playoff?

(note: first year of Stanley Cup, no playoff held)

3. The USA has hosted the most Winter Olympics(4). What country has hosted the second most?

4. The USA is tied with another country for hosting the most Summer Olympics. What is that other country?

5. What state posseses the most number of National Park Units?

6. Which Big 10 team or teams have never made the NCAA Final Four?

7. Which Big 10 team or teams have made the most Final Fours?

8. Five states have had at least 5 different colleges located there make the Final Four. Name these states.

9. Which Presidents attended a college that has won an NCAA Basketball Division 1 basketball tournament (including graduate school attendance)?

10. The reigning Grey Cup champions are the Montreal Alouettes. Where and what did they begin their football life as?

Here is some trivia on miscellaneous. Mostly sports, but not all:

1. Name the state for which the following are its highest point:

A. Boundary Peak

B. Campbell Hill

C. Gannet Peak

D. Harney Peak

E. High Point State Park

F. Humphrey Peak

G. King's Peak

H. Mt. Mitchell

I. Mt. Washington

J. Wheeler Peak

2. What 2 cities met in the final playoff for the first Stanley Cup that was decided by a playoff?

3. The USA has hosted the most Winter Olympics(4). What country has hosted the second most?

4. The USA is tied with another country for hosting the most Summer Olympics. What is that other country?

greece

northwestern and wisconsin

michigan state and indiana

8. Five states have had at least 5 different colleges located there make the Final Four. Name these states.

california, north carolina, florida, does washington dc count?, kentucky, and texas.

9. Which Presidents attended a college that has won an NCAA Basketball Division 1 basketball tournament (including graduate school attendance)?

10. The reigning Grey Cup champions are the Montreal Alouettes. Where and what did they begin their football life as?

Guest 88fingerslewy

10. Alouettes used to be the Baltimore Stallions.

Here's one for you Gip. Can you name the 1st round draft choice of the Alouettes the year they went bankrupt in 1987? BTW, this is the second version of the Alouettes.

1.a nevada b. ohio c. wyoming d. s dakota e. n jersey f.az g. idaho h. n carolina i.marylang j/ nmex

2 both teams were from montreal

3. france

4. england

5. california

6. northwestern and

7. the ohio state university

8. NC, TX, FL, PA, CA

9. slick willy clinton, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, polk, taft hoover, jfk

10. 1872. begin playing as the montreal hosers

A. Boundary Peak-Montana

B. Campbell Hill

C. Gannet Peak

D. Harney Peak

E. High Point State Park

F. Humphrey Peak

G. King's Peak

H. Mt. Mitchell- North Carolina

I. Mt. Washington- New Hampshire

J. Wheeler Peak-Alabama

Italy

Greece

Colorado

Penn St., Northwestern

Indiana, Mich State

North Carolina, Ohio, California, Michigan, Pennsylvania

Gerald Ford, Taft

A. Boundary Peak

B. Campbell Hill

C. Gannet Peak

D. Harney Peak

E. High Point State Park

F. Humphrey Peak

G. King's Peak

H. Mt. Mitchell

I. Mt. Washington

J. Wheeler Peak

All I know is none of them are in Montana.

Russia/Soviet Union

Greece

California

Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota

Indiana

North Carolina, California, Texas, Ohio

10. Alouettes used to be the Baltimore Stallions.

Here's one for you Gip. Can you name the 1st round draft choice of the Alouettes the year they went bankrupt in 1987? BTW, this is the second version of the Alouettes.

You got this one right. 1987 Alouettes pick? Off the wall guess: Lawrence Phillips?

1.a nevada b. ohio c. wyoming d. s dakota e. n jersey f.az g. idaho h. n carolina i.marylang j/ nmex

2 both teams were from montreal

3. france

4. england

5. california

6. northwestern and

7. the ohio state university

8. NC, TX, FL, PA, CA

9. slick willy clinton, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, polk, taft hoover, jfk

10. 1872. begin playing as the montreal hosers

How many of these did you google?

Guest 88fingerslewy
You got this one right. 1987 Alouettes pick? Off the wall guess: Lawrence Phillips?
CFL can't draft Americans. Hint: He's a Browns fan. Check out cfl.ca

How do you come up with these trivia questions? I dig it. I hardly answer because collectively, they make my head explode.

They just come out of fertile...or is that futile... brain. I know the answers to anywhere from 1/4th to half of them. And naturally I have to research the rest.

Not Spielman.Hint: He's a Canadian

OK maybe I read you wrong. I thought you said he played for the Browns, but, apparently not.

Drafted first by the Montreal Alouettes in 1987.

He's Canadian.

He's a Browns fan.

Are you gonna tell me his is now some WWE wrestler or something?

Sorry, don't know.

Guest 88fingerslewy
OK maybe I read you wrong. I thought you said he played for the Browns, but, apparently not.

Drafted first by the Montreal Alouettes in 1987.

He's Canadian.

He's a Browns fan.

Are you gonna tell me his is now some WWE wrestler or something?

Sorry, don't know

He uses the name 88fingerslewy. No foolin'. I got drafted 8th overall in '87. That same year the Alouettes went bankrupt before the season started. They had a dispersal draft, too many players not enough roster spots with the other teams. They only dressed 34 guys in the CFL back then. Bad luck, what are ya gonna do? I played center, our quarterback was Walter Lewis, one of the last QB's to play under Bear Bryant.

There was a quota of 15 Americans, 19 Canadians per roster. Even the Americans were fighting a numbers game as the USFL had just folded and there was surplus from both countries who couldn't find work. Oh well.

If you go to cfl.ca and go to events. Click on draft. Then click on full results near the bottom of the draft page. There's a drop down list to select the year. 1987. 8th overall. There I am. A real heartbreak at the time but I have no regrets. BTW, our DB coach was none other than Kevin Gilbride. Awesome guy. Treated the rookies well. There's some trivia for ya Gipper. LOL

He uses the name 88fingerslewy. No foolin'. I got drafted 8th overall in '87. That same year the Alouettes went bankrupt before the season started. They had a dispersal draft, too many players not enough roster spots with the other teams. They only dressed 34 guys in the CFL back then. Bad luck, what are ya gonna do? I played center, our quarterback was Walter Lewis, one of the last QB's to play under Bear Bryant.

There was a quota of 15 Americans, 19 Canadians per roster. Even the Americans were fighting a numbers game as the USFL had just folded and there was surplus from both countries who couldn't find work. Oh well.

If you go to cfl.ca and go to events. Click on draft. Then click on full results near the bottom of the draft page. There's a drop down list to select the year. 1987. 8th overall. There I am. A real heartbreak at the time but I have no regrets. BTW, our DB coach was none other than Kevin Gilbride. Awesome guy. Treated the rookies well. There's some trivia for ya Gipper. LOL

That's awesome.

Did you try to get on a roster the next year or did you just move on to a career away from football? Interesting story...

Zombo

Here is some trivia on miscellaneous. Mostly sports:

Seems like this may have played itself out, so here are the answers:

A. Boundary Peak ....Nevada

B. Campbell Hill....Ohio

C. Gannet Peak...Wyoming

D. Harney Peak...South Dakota

E. High Point State Park...New Jersey

F. Humphrey Peak...Arizona

G. King's Peak...Utah

H. Mt. Mitchell...North Carolina

I. Mt. Washington...New Hampshire

J. Wheeler Peak...New Mexico

It was Montreal and Ottawa (not Toronto) in 1894

This would be France. One at Chamonix, one at Grenoble, and one at Albertville. France is one of only 3 countries in the bidding for the 2018 games. Annecy France, along with Munich Germany and Pyongchang, South Korea are the only 3 cities in the running (I believe S. Korea is the favorite).

US has host twice at Lake Placid, 1 at Squaw Valley, 1 at Salt Lake City.

This is Greece, with 3 Olympics. All at Athens. At the next Olympics, Great Britain will tie Greece with its third games in London (and obviously London and Athens will have tied as the city hosting it the most times). The head of the USOC has said that with the rejection of Chicago for the 2016 games and the rejection of New York of the 2012 games and with arguments over money that are apparently going on between the IOC and the USOC, that it is apparent that the IOC does not want the US to be hosting Olympic games, so the US will not be bidding for any upcoming games including the 2018 Winter games or the 2020 Summer games. The IOC gets well over 50% of its financial support from the US market. The USOC has been tempted to pull out all funding of the Olympic movement and tell the IOC to see how well they can get along without US dollars. It hasn't happened, but the two organizations are currently engaged in a major snit.

California with 27. Though I believe if you break all the units in Washington D.C. down into component parts, DC may have more. But officially, CA has the most.

Northwestern is the ONLY current Big Ten team to never make the Final Four. Penn St. has made the Final Four, but not while a member of the Big Ten. In fact, Northwestern has never even made an NCAA tournament appearance. This year they are on the bubble.

That would be The Ohio State University, with 10 Final Four apperances. The problem is that despite being there 10 times, they have only won once. Indiana has made 8 Final Fours but has won 5 times. Other Big Ten Final Four appearances: Mich. St-7, Michigan-6, Illinois-5, Iowa-3, Wisconsin-2, Purdue-2, Penn St.-1, Minnesota-1

Pennsylvania has had 8 schools make the Final Four. California-6 schools, and North Carolina, Texas, and New York 5 each.

Polk attended North Carolina. Nixon attended Duke Law. Ford attended Michigan. Clinton attended Georgetown. Hoover attended Stanford. Taft attended Cincinnati Law. LBJ attended but withdrew from Georgetown Law School. Kennedy attended but withdrew from Stanford Busines School.

They began as the Baltimore Stallions of the CFL. When the Ravens were placed in Baltimore, they scrammed up to Montreal. They became the second version of the Montreal Alouettes, the first having folded in the late 80s, early 90s. (Tom Cousineau played for the original Alouettes)

To illuminate further on question 8, here are the schools from the 5 states involved that made the Final Four:

Pennsylvania...8 schools: Villanova, LaSalle, Temple, Duquesne, Pitt, Penn St., St. Joseph, Penn

California...6 schools: UCLA, USC, San Francisco U., California, Stanford, UC Santa Clara

New York: Syracuse, CCNY, NYU, St. John's, St. Bonaventure

North Carolina: North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, UNC-Charlotte

Texas: Houston, Baylor, Texas, SMU, UTEP

FYI, from Ohio, Ohio St., Cincinnati, Dayton

Indiana has had Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, and Indiana St. make it.

Illinois has had Illinois, Loyola Ill., DePaul, and Bradley

1. FYI, the aloueettes do not recognize Baltimore or any of it's record as part of the official team history.

2. BTW, wtf is an alloueette???

3. Take off hoser and have a smoke, eh!

4. True that...I did not deny cheating NOR did i confirm your pestilential accusation

Guest 88fingerslewy
Did you try to get on a roster the next year or did you just move on to a career away from football? Interesting story...

Zombo

I went back to school to finish my degree and coach but hadn't had any calls so I went to England in April '88 to play semi-pro in the Budweiser league. Arrived Friday. Played the London Ravens Saurday, and tore my ACL second day I was there. The following day the Hamilton Tiger-Cats called me in England and wanted to sign me. Bad luck again. ACL reconstructs back then weren't as successful as they are now so I decided that was it for me.

Get this. My contract was a 3 year deal. $5,000 signing bonus. $32,500 1st yr. $37,500 2nd yr. $42,500 3rd yr.

Training camp pay, the rookies made $3 a day. That's not a typo. $21 a week. All that for being an 8th overall pick. Now you can see why a guy that has no ties to Cleveland or Ohio would cheer for the Browns. I love the underdog. Thanks for letting me brag a little. It's been awhile.

Guest 88fingerslewy
1. FYI, the aloueettes do not recognize Baltimore or any of it's record as part of the official team history.

4. True that...I did not deny cheating NOR did i confirm your pestilential accusation

An Alouette is French for Lark.

I went back to school to finish my degree and coach but hadn't had any calls so I went to England in April '88 to play semi-pro in the Budweiser league. Arrived Friday. Played the London Ravens Saurday, and tore my ACL second day I was there. The following day the Hamilton Tiger-Cats called me in England and wanted to sign me. Bad luck again. ACL reconstructs back then weren't as successful as they are now so I decided that was it for me.

Get this. My contract was a 3 year deal. $5,000 signing bonus. $32,500 1st yr. $37,500 2nd yr. $42,500 3rd yr.

Training camp pay, the rookies made $3 a day. That's not a typo. $21 a week. All that for being an 8th overall pick. Now you can see why a guy that has no ties to Cleveland or Ohio would cheer for the Browns. I love the underdog. Thanks for letting me brag a little. It's been awhile.

The only problem I have with your statement is the characterization of Cleveland as an underdog. Cleveland has more professional football championships than any other city, including New York, Chicago or anybody.

We are the ultimate in football championship cities (in the US). We have been granting all the other towns out there 45 years grace to try to catch up with us. So far, no one has.

Why would not the Alouettes "recognize" any part of its record from Baltimore? Do they wish to disassociate themselves with anything American? Many of the franchises here who have moved still carry forth their records from their previous homes (Cardinals, Rams, Colts, etc.). Note: The Browns franchise did NOT leave Cleveland.

Do they consider themselves actually a continuation of the original Alouette franchise as opposed to the Stallion franchise?

Why would not the Alouettes "recognize" any part of its record from Baltimore? Do they wish to disassociate themselves with anything American? Many of the franchises here who have moved still carry forth their records from their previous homes (Cardinals, Rams, Colts, etc.). Note: The Browns franchise did NOT leave Cleveland.

Do they consider themselves actually a continuation of the original Alouette franchise as opposed to the Stallion franchise?

Gipmeister...i dunno

Guest 88fingerslewy
The only problem I have with your statement is the characterization of Cleveland as an underdog. Cleveland has more professional football championships than any other city, including New York, Chicago or anybody.

We are the ultimate in football championship cities (in the US). We have been granting all the other towns out there 45 years grace to try to catch up with us. So far, no one has.

Well Gip, I'm 47. And as long as I've been watching the Browns, they've been an underdog. The GOOD Browns teams I saw in the '80's, went on to lose in the AFC Championship to a team that went on to lose in the Super Bowl. Underdog by my standards for sure. Anyways, whatever; this is just splitting hairs.

Archived