THE BROWNS BOARD

White Sox unretire Aparicio’s No. 11 for Vizquel

Kosar_For_President

Pretty cool of Aparicio. And shows Omar will be a Hall of Famer first ballot.

Link

Very similar careers both offensively and defensively.

Vizquel has 2,704 hits - 433 doubles - 74 triples - 78 HR - 389 SB - 11 Gold Gloves

Aparacio had 2,677 hits - 394 doubles - 92 triples - 83 HR - 506 SB - 9 Gold Gloves

Zombo

Very similar careers both offensively and defensively.

Vizquel has 2,704 hits - 433 doubles - 74 triples - 78 HR - 389 SB - 11 Gold Gloves

Aparacio had 2,677 hits - 394 doubles - 92 triples - 83 HR - 506 SB - 9 Gold Gloves

Zombo

Yep and Omar even beats Aparacio on some of the "new" stats that adjust for era. Or at least he did a year ago when I last looked at WARP3 and some of the other stuff out there. His defense isn't looked at quite so fondly by many of the new metrics - at least they greatly put to rest the idea he was anything close to Ozzie without the back-flips - but the gold gloves are going to matter far more to HOF voters than any of the new junk.

He'll be an interesting case, to be sure. I can't at ALL imagine he'll be elected on the first ballot. Certainly not based on his career numbers. Say what you will about the idea of a player being more worthy six years after he stopped playing than he was one year earlier, but the voters sure cling to the idea that it's important. There have been what, ~40 guys elected in their first year on the ballot? The list includes a couple of head-scratchers with the benefit of historical context, but most all of the players on it are far, FAR superior to a very good player like Omar. I mean, twenty-two years in the league speaks volumes about his worthiness of being called a terrific player. They do the same when it's noted he appeared in three all-star games and on one MVP ballot (1% share in 1999) in that lengthy career. The longevity comes across loud and clear, the lack of recognized "greatness" does the same.

What's going to be fun to follow is just how the voters handle all of the steroid tainted players coming up in the next few years. Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Mussina and Palmiero are going to be butting heads with Piazza, Biggio, Bagwell, Thomas, Griffey, Schilling, Glavine, Maddux, Pedro and others. And those are just the new guys on the ballot. There are going to be some voters who ignore each and every guy who didn't pass their roi-dar test and others who will hold their noses and simply look at the numbers. Either way, there are going to be hold-overs for more than a few years to come.

Given that list, I just can't picture 75% of the voters, in 2015/16/17/18/?, looking at Omar Vizquel and agreeing that he's at all worthy of being elected to the HOF on the first ballot. Honestly, I think he'll struggle to get in at all.

Beanpot

Still stunned about Robbie's omission, Bean? I kid.

I think with Omar's extended farewell tour he's getting so much good will and "That guy should be a hall of famer" hubbub from the announcers and media, I can see him picking up that momentum and carrying it to the voting.

Plus he's not exactly Bonds on the likeability scaled. Crazier things have happened.

Still stunned about Robbie's omission, Bean? I kid.

Hey now, it's not that at all. Just a delay.

But really, I didn't give a thought to Alomar while posting that. I too can picture Omar riding a wave of good-will into the HOF. I still think it'll be a struggle and that there's no chance in hell he's voted in on the 1st ballot, but I'm not going to bet against it happening eventually.

Beanpot

I have a question. I read this earlier yesterday and it's a great story but I swear that I read a few weeks ago that Omar signed with the Twins. I don't know where I am getting this and I am a bit confused (insert smart comments here) but if it wasn't Omar that signed with the Twins, can someone enlighten me as to if it was another former Indian that is going to Minnisota or has my brain finally frozen? :wacko:

Not even sure if I shoulda posted this in this thread but I stuck it in anywho.

Heidi

I have a question. I read this earlier yesterday and it's a great story but I swear that I read a few weeks ago that Omar signed with the Twins. I don't know where I am getting this and I am a bit confused (insert smart comments here) but if it wasn't Omar that signed with the Twins, can someone enlighten me as to if it was another former Indian that is going to Minnisota or has my brain finally frozen? :wacko:

Not even sure if I shoulda posted this in this thread but I stuck it in anywho.

Heidi

You're thinking of Rich Yett.

Beanpot

Thank you! I need to slow down while using the remote, apparently I fly past those little bits of info way to fast.

Heidi

Well don't I feel like a dick. I was kidding about Yett - he was drafted by the Twins, appeared in one game and was then moved to the Tribe in the Blyleven deal. Spent four fun-filled years with the good guys before finishing his career in Minnesota.

Was just trying to have a little fun.

The real man you're looking for is Dan Schatzeder.

Beanpot

Well don't I feel like a dick. I was kidding about Yett - he was drafted by the Twins, appeared in one game and was then moved to the Tribe in the Blyleven deal. Spent four fun-filled years with the good guys before finishing his career in Minnesota.

Beanpot

Oh you're mean!!! lol. I'm feezing my whatsis off and thinking I'm nuts and you're messing with me? Okay, so it was funny.

I'm gonna do some searching and see if you're yankin' my chain again. I'm keeping an eye on you now buddy. :angry:

Heidi

Oh you're mean!!! lol. I'm feezing my whatsis off and thinking I'm nuts and you're messing with me? Okay, so it was funny.

I'm gonna do some searching and see if you're yankin' my chain again. I'm keeping an eye on you now buddy. :angry:

Heidi

Research? No!

Please allow me to get to Keith Atherton before you ruin the fun.

Beanpot

Research? No!

Please allow me to get to Keith Atherton before you ruin the fun.

Beanpot

Well, I went snooping on the Twins website and realized where my confusion occured. It was a FORMER Indian that the Twins signed. My bad. it's Jim Thome. There, I feel better.

Heidi

Beanpot

Oh no you don't. fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don't think the Twins wanna sign a 56 year old man. And besides, Schatzeder signed with the Indians Feb. 9, 1988 and was released by the Tribe on June 22 of the same year. Then he signed with the Twins on June 27th of '88. (She says hoping not to look like an idot with egg on her face).

Heidi

Archived