THE BROWNS BOARD

@the Gipper: Trivia Question

kshutchins

Last night one of my co-workers chatted with a guest speaker at an event. This person passed around one of his Super Bowl rings for folks to try on. It was one of three he had won: one as a player, one as an assistant coach, and one as head coach. Can you name the person with the rings? (The fact that I'm in SC should be a hint.)

Now this part I don't know: Are there any other folks who can claim the same trifecta?

Not sure of the Carolina connection.....Ditka won as a player for Dallas, a asst for Dallas, and a HC for Chicago, and Tom Flores won as a player for KC, and a asst and HC for Oakland.

Ditka played his college ball for Pitt, not sure where Flores played, but I am pretty sure it wasn't in SC.

Not sure of the Carolina connection.....Ditka won as a player for Dallas, a asst for Dallas, and a HC for Chicago, and Tom Flores won as a player for KC, and a asst and HC for Oakland.

Ditka played his college ball for Pitt, not sure where Flores played, but I am pretty sure it wasn't in SC.

Those are two that I didn't know.

Tom Flores did it I believe.

Ballpeen mentioned Flores. Not the guy I'm thinking of, who earned his rings from three different teams. There are multiple South Carolina connections.

Last night one of my co-workers chatted with a guest speaker at an event. This person passed around one of his Super Bowl rings for folks to try on. It was one of three he had won: one as a player, one as an assistant coach, and one as head coach. Can you name the person with the rings? (The fact that I'm in SC should be a hint.)

Now this part I don't know: Are there any other folks who can claim the same trifecta?

Can we assume that he received those rings as a member of the Winning SB team? I believe the losers also receive rings.

Forrest Gregg may have got a Super Bowl loser ring, plus a player and asst. coach ring. Dan Reeves also may have gotten one as a losing HC, plus as a player and asst. coach.

It could be Ditka, IF he was a player on the Cowboys 1971 SB team...but I don't recall him as a player with them then. Perhaps I am wrong.

Ditka is probably the best guess.

Dungy WAS a member of the 1978 Steelers that won a SB, plus he obviously won as HC of the Colts. Somewhere along the line he very well may have been an asst. coach on a SB team.

He wasn't.

Zombo

Guest CardDawg

Sam Wyche.

Can we assume that he received those rings as a member of the Winning SB team? I believe the losers also receive rings.

Good question.

Good question.

Well, when people talk in terms of having a "Super Bowl Ring" the presumption is that they got that ring for winning, NOT losing the Super Bowl.

For the question to be legit, it has to be a Super Bowl winning player, asst. coach, and HC!!

To be perfectly honest, I posted the question based on what I was told by my co-worker. I didn't do the checking necessary to make the question more specific until later. But.... I'm not really sorry it turned out that way. It made everyone rub a few neurons together to come up with the answer and I thought it was an interesting exercise as well as an interesting fact.

For anyone who missed it, the correct answer is Sam Wyche. He has multiple ties to South Carolina. He played college ball here in Greenville at Furman University. He was an assistant coach for the Gamecocks at USC and has most recently been involved in local politics in Pickens, SC which is here in the Upstate.

Ring #1 he got for playing with the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. He coached quarterback Joe Montana from his rookie year to the 49ers' first Super Bowl victory in Super Bowl XVI, hence ring #2. The last minute (34 seconds remaining) loss to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII completes the Trifecta.

I guess to satisfy The Gipper, the trivia challenge should have read: "My co-worker recently got to try on a Super Bowl ring from the owner of three such pieces of jewelry. One ring was obtained as a player, another as an assistant, and the third as head coach. Who is this individual with ties to South Carolina?" My apologies to anyone who was offended by the wording of the question.

(I'm sure you'll correct me if I got any of my facts wrong.) :)

Sam never won a ring as a head coach did he???

I thought that was one of the criteria??

At any rate, I always liked Sam, I thought he was a good coach.

I like that golf course Furman has as their home course.....I think it is University owned....first class.

http://www.furman.edu/golf/news-pictures.htm

To be perfectly honest, I posted the question based on what I was told by my co-worker. I didn't do the checking necessary to make the question more specific until later. But.... I'm not really sorry it turned out that way. It made everyone rub a few neurons together to come up with the answer and I thought it was an interesting exercise as well as an interesting fact.

For anyone who missed it, the correct answer is Sam Wyche. He has multiple ties to South Carolina. He played college ball here in Greenville at Furman University. He was an assistant coach for the Gamecocks at USC and has most recently been involved in local politics in Pickens, SC which is here in the Upstate.

Ring #1 he got for playing with the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. He coached quarterback Joe Montana from his rookie year to the 49ers' first Super Bowl victory in Super Bowl XVI, hence ring #2. The last minute (34 seconds remaining) loss to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII completes the Trifecta.

I guess to satisfy The Gipper, the trivia challenge should have read: "My co-worker recently got to try on a Super Bowl ring from the owner of three such pieces of jewelry. One ring was obtained as a player, another as an assistant, and the third as head coach. Who is this individual with ties to South Carolina?" My apologies to anyone who was offended by the wording of the question.

(I'm sure you'll correct me if I got any of my facts wrong.) :)

OK, but, in checking, the same criteria ALSO apply to Dan Reeves. He was a player on the Cowboys 1971 SB winners. He was an assitant coach for the Cowboys when they won the SB in 1977, plus, of course, he was the losing HC of 4 different teams Super Bowl teams....3 Broncos and 1 Falcons....AND Dan Reeves attended the University of South Carolina!!

OK, but, in checking, the same criteria ALSO apply to Dan Reeves. He was a player on the Cowboys 1971 SB winners. He was an assitant coach for the Cowboys when they won the SB in 1977, plus, of course, he was the losing HC of 4 different teams Super Bowl teams....3 Broncos and 1 Falcons....AND Dan Reeves attended the University of South Carolina!!

But my co-worker didn't try on Dan Reeves' ring. Plus... the hint was, that the correct person wears the ring he got as a player for the Redskins.

Yessssssssss!!! I was the first to answer correctly. what do I win?

please tell me it isn't a bernie kosar bobble head.

It isn't a Bernie Kosar bobble head. :)

Since I didn't declare a prize, I guess bragging rights will have to do.

Archived