THE BROWNS BOARD

Time to Choose...

Tour2ma

Dear Coach Pettine,

I know you hoped the decision would be obvious after tonite. But sometimes things just do not work out as well as we'd like them.

The one thing that was obvious is that you need to name a starting QB.

It's time to chose.

Sincerely,

Tour2ma

P.S. I do like your defense.

Honestly I would give Shaw some first reps this week at camp and two or three series with the first team in the third game to see what he truely has.

Stranger things have happened.

Leave it to us browns fans to grasp at the third string undrafted rookie QB who illuminated what was otherwise a horrific performance from the incumbent and the supposed "future".

Something interesting I noticed is how strained both Hoyer and Manziel looked in their post game interviews. I think this whole competition is wearing down on them mentally, which is obviously what you do not want in a Quarterback. They need to be able to handle pressure as a QB in the NFL and these two didn't seem to do it. On the other hand Shaw who has been sliding under the radar (for obvious reasons) played ten times better because he was loose. Clearly he was playing against guys who will more than likely be cut, but it was refreshing to see someone move the ball down the field without penalties.

All jokes about Connor Shaw aside, we are in serious trouble. If you have watched all 8 quarters and don't have that feeling in the pit of your stomach, then you are a better fan than I.

Something interesting I noticed is how strained both Hoyer and Manziel looked in their post game interviews. I think this whole competition is wearing down on them mentally, which is obviously what you do not want in a Quarterback. They need to be able to handle pressure as a QB in the NFL and these two didn't seem to do it. On the other hand Shaw who has been sliding under the radar (for obvious reasons) played ten times better because he was loose. Clearly he was playing against guys who will more than likely be cut, but it was refreshing to see someone move the ball down the field without penalties.

Browns are great at mind focking QB's

I agree that you have to name the starter and as shitty as it is, that should be Hoyer for the first three games. Re-evaluate in the bye week and move forward. The coach has a very serious responsibility to handle this right, and no one wants a Crennel repeat.I'm also not sold on Rex Grossman being on this team. Depth Chart should be Hoyer/Manziel/Shaw.

JF is just not ready, so I would start Hoyer and hope he gets his act together. I agree we need to reevaluate at the bye. Right now my concern is that we don't have an NFL caliber quarterback for 2014. I hope I'm proven wrong. After all Hoyer hit a receiver in the numbers and threw a TD pass - both of which were dropped.

Honestly I would give Shaw some first reps this week at camp and two or three series with the first team in the third game to see what he truely has.

Stranger things have happened.

Leave it to us browns fans to grasp at the third string undrafted rookie QB who illuminated what was otherwise a horrific performance from the incumbent and the supposed "future".

One more performance like that from Shaw, and he's on the regular roster, if not already. Make Grossman assistant qb coach. Rex has no upside. Shaw might have plenty.

All jokes about Connor Shaw aside, we are in serious trouble. If you have watched all 8 quarters and don't have that feeling in the pit of your stomach, then you are a better fan than I.

Win with defense, don't make mistakes on offense. Looks like what Pettine is planing.

Could be Shannahan's system is so complex, players are befuddled.

Dear Coach Pettine,

I know you hoped the decision would be obvious after tonite. But sometimes things just do not work out as well as we'd like them.

The one thing that was obvious is that you need to name a starting QB.

It's time to chose.

Sincerely,

Tour2ma

P.S. I do like your defense.

Pressure might have gotten to both of them tonight.

The dumbest decision was playing two series and switching out qb's. How is anyone going to get into any rhythm like that, especially with all the hype surrounding Johnny Football. Neither looked comfortable, and both were pressing, which showed Pettine absolutely nothing ,but showed me he's still a high school coach. He has until Sept. 6th to name a starting QB as far as I'm concerned.

The dumbest decision was playing two series and switching out qb's. How is anyone going to get into any rhythm like that, especially with all the hype surrounding Johnny Football. Neither looked comfortable, and both were pressing, which showed Pettine absolutely nothing ,but showed me he's still a high school coach. He has until Sept. 6th to name a starting QB as far as I'm concerned.

exactly. You have two guys that arent familiar with what is supposedly an extremely complicated system and neither one has gotten enough reps in practice or preseason to get used to it. Doesn't sound like ia very good plan to me.

It isn't good for either of them.

We

4 observations:

1. The R side of the O line is in big time trouble especially at T. Feet are just not there.

2. I agree with those above who say Pettine screwed this up with the 2 possession rotation. He should have honestly given JM all 1st team reps the whole week and given him all the 1st team reps in the game just as he did for Hoyer the 1st game. This was unfair to all concerned and doomed to utter failure for both QBs.

3. The Browns D will have to carry the season until the O line is fixed. Watch the waiver wire very carefully for a RT. otherwise that is the first person to draft next year.

4. Goes without saying the WRs once again did not help the QBs. However that is only secondary to a better O line.

We're so desperate at QB, that people are calling for Shaw? Really? Did these people watch the game or just look at the stats?

Yes, we're already splitting time with the ones for twoQBs, lets split it into thirds now!

Start Hoyer. Johnny panics too much. He needs time to learn.

We're so desperate at QB, that people are calling for Shaw? Really? Did these people watch the game or just look at the stats?

Yes, we're already splitting time with the ones for twoQBs, lets split it into thirds now!

Start Hoyer. Johnny panics too much. He needs time to learn.

Hopefully no one is serious about him. Name your starter and be done with it, although judging from last night that will be hard

Johnny is not quite there yet, he's going to be the better QB, but it is time to think about the 2104 season which starts in less than three weeks. Tell Hoyer he's the man, tell 21 yo old Johnny to "be ready", install Hoyer as your leader and be done with it.

Steelers, Saints and Ravens to start the season ... those teams do not fuck around ... so it is time for us to stop fucking around and get ready for them.

Zombo

Yep...I think they should just name Hoyer the starter too. Clearly Johnny isnt ready....It's time to get on with preparing the team to play a real game, working on offensive timing, game planning, etc......wasting anymore time hoping for one of the QB's to flash would be, well, a waste of time....and burning the last of quality practice time to figure out the final few roster spots will not make this team better...

Im just praying our defense shows up every week, because they will be the difference between winning and losing this year......

Archived