THE BROWNS BOARD

Seahawks likely to be a dynasty?

Pumpkin Eater

The Seahawks are tied for the youngest team to ever win a Super Bowl. The other two youngest teams to win one (out of top 3) were the 71 Dolphins and the 74 stoolers. Both of those teams went on to win and play in more Superbowls. Can the Seahawks keep their team together and play in more Superbowls?

We'll see about the dynasty. They'll be good foe a few years if they stay somewhat healthy and more importantly, stay hungry. They also have to contend with the 49's.

I don't think the Browns are following their blueprint, but I do like the Defensive minded head coach and look forward to seeing what they're thinking going into the draft. I think the FO may finally realize that players and coaches throughout the NFL don't have the Browns high on their dream job list.

The Seahawks are tied for the youngest team to ever win a Super Bowl. The other two youngest teams to win one (out of top 3) were the 71 Dolphins and the 74 stoolers. Both of those teams went on to win and play in more Superbowls. Can the Seahawks keep their team together and play in more Superbowls?

Honestly, the way contracts and salary caps are it's hard to have a dynasty anymore. They're going to odds on to win again next for sure, but Sherman/Wilson/Chancellor etc are going to be one year closer to commanding huge contracts they'll get. Money talks and there's only so many players a franchise can pay. It'll come down to how well they draft which is always a crap shoot. It is possible though that's for sure.

Honestly, the way contracts and salary caps are it's hard to have a dynasty anymore. They're going to odds on to win again next for sure, but Sherman/Wilson/Chancellor etc are going to be one year closer to commanding huge contracts they'll get. Money talks and there's only so many players a franchise can pay. It'll come down to how well they draft which is always a crap shoot. It is possible though that's for sure.

Yep, they have been fortunate to have a 2nd year, third round draft pick playing QB and a 3rd year, 5th round CB as their best defensive player. Paying them peanuts. Gives them a lot of latitude to fill the roster with veterans.

Eventually Wilson will get a Flaccoesque contract and Sherman will become the highest paid corner to ever play the game. Then you have to let some of your starters go and lose depth.

They will always be contenders though because they have Coach + Quarterback.

Zombo

True and true, Z and jrb, but nothing says what they found once they cannot find again. They do have the advantage of knowing they are capable of assembling a Championship team.

Plus they have the advantage of having a HC/ organization that players love to play for, and since they allegedly select/ sign players that love the game above all else, that means many players may well be willing to take less pay to continue in Seattle. Very reminiscent of the Pats of the 2000's... arguably that decade's Dynasty.

Dynasty? If 2 more SB victories in the 2010's qualifies as a "Dynasty", I think they will be one. But one thing I know is that they will be relevant for some time to come.

Since Pete Carroll became the HC, their drafting has been incredible... Since 2010 they have drafted a franchise QB, 5 pro-bowlers, and 1 Super Bowl MVP...

12 of their 22 starters were drafted in the past 4 years... That's how you win...

In that same time frame, the Browns have drafted 2 non-franchise QBs, 3 pro-bowlers, and no Super Bowl MVPs...

and 9 of our 22 starters including Schwartz, Little, Sheard, Lauvao, Taylor, Cameron, Skrine, Haden, Ward... not impressive

See my "Team of the Decade" thread for some additional info on this subject.

But the answer is: could they become a dynasty? Sure, they could. But, we thought that about the Packers, and possibly the Giants. (not so much the Ravens because of their age).

And dynasties can come from who knows where? The Packers had actually been a lousy team since the mid-30s before Lombardi took over. For 40 years prior to the 70s that team over east were better known as the Pittsburgh Sackofshits.

Same with the 49ers. Except for a couple of years in the early 70s they were pretty much perennial losers.

So, why not the Seahawks?

Better the Browns.

But, who knows, look at it this way, the dominant teams of several decades didn't show their faces until toward the middle or end of those decades.

Well... if they do become a dynasty, then at least they cannot keep us from getting to the SB...

... so we have that going for us...

I don't think that they've just "lucked out" and found players with inherent Pro Bowl talent in the later rounds. I think 95% of players drafted have the ability to play in the Pro Bowl, they just have to be in the right system.

Seattle recognized that the attributes people claim as key for a position aren't necessarily important in their system. Size, stature and arm power aren't what makes a QB a QB. Olympic sprinters and undersized, quick twitch DB's won't fare well in their defense.

Seattle moneyballed the NFL. They're changing the dynamics of what makes a prospect a great prospect.

Yep, they have been fortunate to have a 2nd year, third round draft pick playing QB and a 3rd year, 5th round CB as their best defensive player. Paying them peanuts. Gives them a lot of latitude to fill the roster with veterans.

Eventually Wilson will get a Flaccoesque contract and Sherman will become the highest paid corner to ever play the game. Then you have to let some of your starters go and lose depth.

They will always be contenders though because they have Coach + Quarterback.

Zombo

we will see about the contract. Wilson does not strike me as the type of guy that needs big money or demands it. Especially if things go very well in Texas this spring. Man I'm growing a man-crush on this kid. He is a winner in every sense of the word.

True and true, Z and jrb, but nothing says what they found once they cannot find again. They do have the advantage of knowing they are capable of assembling a Championship team.

Plus they have the advantage of having a HC/ organization that players love to play for, and since they allegedly select/ sign players that love the game above all else, that means many players may well be willing to take less pay to continue in Seattle. Very reminiscent of the Pats of the 2000's... arguably that decade's Dynasty.

Dynasty? If 2 more SB victories in the 2010's qualifies as a "Dynasty", I think they will be one. But one thing I know is that they will be relevant for some time to come.

yep you're right on with that, solid veteran guys will take discounts to play there for a chance at a ring. In the end though it's going to come down to how well they draft, but the way they've drafted previously makes it hard to think they'll suddenly mess it all up. They could easily get there but will likely lose a guy like Thomas III or Chancellor paying other guys. It'll be interesting to watch, but my God they're gonna be tough to beat again next year barring injuries. I'm overall happy though, it least it's a fresh new team and not the Pats, Giants, Steelers and 49er's. They've won too much and it's sickening haha.

Personally I hope they suck next year. I'm tired of hearing about the fuckers already.

WSS

Keep some perspective....the fucking Ravens won last year......and we could be hearing about their sorry asses or the fucking Steelers.

Hearing about the Seahawks is a lot better than those alternatives, to me anyway.

But yea, sure, they won theirs. Now for some other fresh blood?:

Can the Falcons rebound from their bad year?

Can the Chiefs keep improving and go even farther?

Can the Chargers get past the first round?

Will the Lions actually play up to potential?

Will the Bengals deliver on their recent promise?

Will the Jets become more than just a blowhard team?

Will the Texans stop being DumbAsses?

Will the Panthers take additional steps?

...my God they're gonna be tough to beat again next year barring injuries.

Yup... and in that stadium... what an awesome design for a noise machine...

Any professional football team with a logo on the helmet can blow me.

LMAO...

In approaching three years here I have never seen a quote that captures the pulse of this place so succinctly that it deserves to be the official slogan of this site.

While I cannot make that happen, I can put it in my sig...

Well done, sir...

Archived