75 replies to this topic

#1 tampadawgs

tampadawgs

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

With one game remaining until the “end of the season” that was promised before any actions were taken, Pro Football Weekly reports that the Cleveland Browns will waste zero time when it comes to revamping their front office.

Joe Banner is cleaning house as soon as the season ends. He’s not going to waste much time. He’s been researching this thing for some time. They are going to move fast to get their guys.

Black Monday will undoubtedly cast clouds throughout the league and has been the case through many seasons within the last decade, the Browns will be a major player in the season-end game of musical chairs as head coach Pat Shumrur and general manager Tom Heckert are likely to be relieved of their collective duties.

Given that the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, as Shumur is staring at a combined record of 9-23 over the course of the last two seasons, the operative piece of the sourced quote is “their guys.”

Many names have been rumored to be linked to the (presently) 5-10 Browns in one capacity or another, including New England’s Josh McDaniels, Oregon’s Chip Kelly and Alabama’s Nick Saban. Who winds up being the next name on a laundry list of would-be leaders remains to be seen. What is known is that team owner Jimmy Haslam prides himself on continuity — whomever is brought in to be the next hopeful savior will be the man here for a long, long time. At least until he isn’t.

#2 hoorta

hoorta

Member since Dec 1, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,928 posts
  • Interests:Football, cycling, montaineering

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

With one game remaining until the “end of the season” that was promised before any actions were taken, Pro Football Weekly reports that the Cleveland Browns will waste zero time when it comes to revamping their front office.

Joe Banner is cleaning house as soon as the season ends. He’s not going to waste much time. He’s been researching this thing for some time. They are going to move fast to get their guys.

Black Monday will undoubtedly cast clouds throughout the league and has been the case through many seasons within the last decade, the Browns will be a major player in the season-end game of musical chairs as head coach Pat Shumrur and general manager Tom Heckert are likely to be relieved of their collective duties.

Given that the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, as Shumur is staring at a combined record of 9-23 over the course of the last two seasons, the operative piece of the sourced quote is “their guys.”

Many names have been rumored to be linked to the (presently) 5-10 Browns in one capacity or another, including New England’s Josh McDaniels, Oregon’s Chip Kelly and Alabama’s Nick Saban. Who winds up being the next name on a laundry list of would-be leaders remains to be seen. What is known is that team owner Jimmy Haslam prides himself on continuity — whomever is brought in to be the next hopeful savior will be the man here for a long, long time. At least until he isn’t.

As long as he doesn't bring back Lom-'tardi, I'm fine with a housecleaning. I do think Heckert deserves to stay.

#3 ballpeen

ballpeen

Member since Mar 5, 2007

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

I have mixed emotions on Heckert.

Indy and Seattle were as bad or worse than us last season and they are now playoff teams and we are still in last place, so it's not like Heckert is a mastermind.

#4 kamac19

kamac19

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:BROWNS, CAVS, PLAYING FIELD HOCKEY AND SOCCER

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Indy and Seattle were as bad or worse than us last season and they are now playoff teams and we are still in last place, so it's not like Heckert is a mastermind.

But again it just goes to show the importance of finding that QB that will make your team tick, and once again I dont think we have Russ. I hope we go all out and bring in Alex Smith from 49ers, he is the only QB that might be available that would make this team better right away. Otherwise we are just going to carry on hoping that will find a needle in a haystack that is a Franchise QB for the Browns.

#5 miktoxic

miktoxic

Number Hangs in the Rafters

• REGISTERED
  • 10,189 posts
  • Interests:not being interesting.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

^100%

that could be the solution in the short run. maybe weeds can grow from a FA 'veteran' QB.
BUT remember alex smith's problem before harbaugh was the switching between OCs every 2 years. so bring him in here to do the same thing?

i'm starting to feel queezy about banner. is this gonna be philly double squared?

puke.

#6 kamac19

kamac19

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

^100%

that could be the solution in the short run. maybe weeds can grow from a FA 'veteran' QB.
BUT remember alex smith's problem before harbaugh was the switching between OCs every 2 years. so bring him in here to do the same thing?

i'm starting to feel queezy about banner. is this gonna be philly double squared?

puke.

Yeah hopefully all the changes are made quickly with the front office, so we at least know who we have running the team. As for Alex Smith, he is Younger, Better and more suited to the way our offense is run at the moment than Weeden, saying that it will likely change again with a new Coach coming in. But I feel getting Smith if it didnt cost too much doing so would elevate the team to the next level right away.

#7 miktoxic

miktoxic

Number Hangs in the Rafters

• REGISTERED
  • 10,189 posts
  • Interests:not being interesting.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

gotcha.

at least some type of competitive fire burning under ANY QBs azz at this point would be a good thing,

weeden was 'wired up' for the u.s. version of 'sunday night football' and the only thing i remember about it was a coach going over to weeds and telling him how to talk up his offense.....really? if you're a winner you do that naturally. correct?

i want a dude that's on fire and will scream at his receivers for not running the right routes.

#8 Browns149

Browns149

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Beer, Harley Davidson Motorcycles,Remington Shotguns, Browning Hand Guns

Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, New York Rangers, Liverpool FC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Seattle was no where near as bad as the Browns have been. THey won their division in 2010 (7-9) and won a playoff game that year. ANd in 2011 they were 7-9 also.

We have won 7 or more games only 3 times in the past 14 years

#9 Browns149

Browns149

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Beer, Harley Davidson Motorcycles,Remington Shotguns, Browning Hand Guns

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

But again it just goes to show the importance of finding that QB that will make your team tick, and once again I dont think we have Russ. I hope we go all out and bring in Alex Smith from 49ers, he is the only QB that might be available that would make this team better right away. Otherwise we are just going to carry on hoping that will find a needle in a haystack that is a Franchise QB for the Browns.

We need a coach to go with the QB. Alex Smith was a bust until Harbaugh got there

#10 b86b

b86b

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

watching Denvers offense made me want McCoy even more, could see Weeden running that offense very well...

#11 bringbackbrownie2

bringbackbrownie2

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Indy has 8 wins over teams with losing records - 7 of which have 5 wins or less. Wait until next year when they get a tougher schedule..

#12 Browns149

Browns149

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Indy has 8 wins over teams with losing records - 7 of which have 5 wins or less. Wait until next year when they get a tougher schedule..

and next year they won't be riding the emotional high of their coaches illness

#13 halfsane

halfsane

Pro Rookie

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Good. Shurmur is a big floppy pussy.

#14 Bob806

Bob806

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:All Cleveland sports teams, Ohio State sports, bowling, golf, & camping.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Seattle was no where near as bad as the Browns have been. THey won their division in 2010 (7-9) and won a playoff game that year. ANd in 2011 they were 7-9 also.

We have won 7 or more games only 3 times in the past 14 years

True, but you forgot about the epic 6-3 thriller last year when we beat their asses :rolleyes:

#15 Browns149

Browns149

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

True, but you forgot about the epic 6-3 thriller last year when we beat their asses :rolleyes:

I've been trying to forget that since it happened :o

#16 BrownsFan!

BrownsFan!

College Benchwarmer

• REGISTERED
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Alex Smith is as much an answer to any teams QB question as Mark Sanchez is. Alex Smith in all his years in the NFL has as many 300+ passing yard games as Weeden had this year.

#17 kamac19

kamac19

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Alex Smith is as much an answer to any teams QB question as Mark Sanchez is. Alex Smith in all his years in the NFL has as many 300+ passing yard games as Weeden had this year.

Well rookie, Russell Wilson seems to be doing a good enough job with averaging under 200yds a game, where does it say a team has to be successful by having 300yd+ passing yards a game, Browns best QB's avg less than 200yd+ per game apart from Kosar who was 202yds per game. Someone who can complete 60-65% plus passes and not throw many interceptions is the type of QB we need on the team, and at the moment the QB screaming out like that is Alex Smith, Weeden possibly is what Smith was when first entering the League but by the time he matures to Smiths level, he will be 34 years old. We just have to accept that we may have made another dumb move selecting Weeden, dont get me wrong I would love I I am wrong but I think most people with some sense of judgement and knowledge of seeing a QB behind a good O-Line like the Browns have got for 15 games and not being that impressed would have the right to bare judgement that he is not upto the task of what we need to go forward.

#18 bringbackbrownie2

bringbackbrownie2

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Well rookie, Russell Wilson seems to be doing a good enough job with averaging under 200yds a game, where does it say a team has to be successful by having 300yd+ passing yards a game

You don't have to throw for tons of yards to win games. But no QB has been able to consistently win while relying on QB sneaks as much as Newton, Wilson, and RG3 do... History tells us this type of QB style is figured out eventually..

#19 USFBrown

USFBrown

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Interests:football, programming, movies, weight lifting.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Good. Clean house. This team is still as very bad team but with more talent than the past few years.

I'd take Alex Smith in a heart beat. Give Weeds a competition.

#20 ballpeen

ballpeen

Member since Mar 5, 2007

• REGISTERED
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I do understand, but there is always circumstance that can alter results. The bottom line in all of this is Heckert is the GM of a team that finishes in last place.

The roster HAS improved, no question. However, it hasn't improved enough.

As I have said, if we elect to keep Heck, it won't bother me. If we dump him it won't bother me.

My guess is we make a clean break. on Monday morning about 10AM we will be informed both Heckert and Shurmer have been relieved of duty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users