THE BROWNS BOARD

Nfl Rumors: Banner To “Clean House” As Soon As Season Ends

tampadawgs

With one game remaining until the “end of the season” that was promised before any actions were taken, Pro Football Weekly reports that the Cleveland Browns will waste zero time when it comes to revamping their front office.

Joe Banner is cleaning house as soon as the season ends. He’s not going to waste much time. He’s been researching this thing for some time. They are going to move fast to get their guys.

Black Monday will undoubtedly cast clouds throughout the league and has been the case through many seasons within the last decade, the Browns will be a major player in the season-end game of musical chairs as head coach Pat Shumrur and general manager Tom Heckert are likely to be relieved of their collective duties.

Given that the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, as Shumur is staring at a combined record of 9-23 over the course of the last two seasons, the operative piece of the sourced quote is “their guys.”

Many names have been rumored to be linked to the (presently) 5-10 Browns in one capacity or another, including New England’s Josh McDaniels, Oregon’s Chip Kelly and Alabama’s Nick Saban. Who winds up being the next name on a laundry list of would-be leaders remains to be seen. What is known is that team owner Jimmy Haslam prides himself on continuity — whomever is brought in to be the next hopeful savior will be the man here for a long, long time. At least until he isn’t.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With one game remaining until the “end of the season” that was promised before any actions were taken, Pro Football Weekly reports that the Cleveland Browns will waste zero time when it comes to revamping their front office.

Joe Banner is cleaning house as soon as the season ends. He’s not going to waste much time. He’s been researching this thing for some time. They are going to move fast to get their guys.

Black Monday will undoubtedly cast clouds throughout the league and has been the case through many seasons within the last decade, the Browns will be a major player in the season-end game of musical chairs as head coach Pat Shumrur and general manager Tom Heckert are likely to be relieved of their collective duties.

Given that the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, as Shumur is staring at a combined record of 9-23 over the course of the last two seasons, the operative piece of the sourced quote is “their guys.”

Many names have been rumored to be linked to the (presently) 5-10 Browns in one capacity or another, including New England’s Josh McDaniels, Oregon’s Chip Kelly and Alabama’s Nick Saban. Who winds up being the next name on a laundry list of would-be leaders remains to be seen. What is known is that team owner Jimmy Haslam prides himself on continuity — whomever is brought in to be the next hopeful savior will be the man here for a long, long time. At least until he isn’t.

As long as he doesn't bring back Lom-'tardi, I'm fine with a housecleaning. I do think Heckert deserves to stay.

I have mixed emotions on Heckert.

Indy and Seattle were as bad or worse than us last season and they are now playoff teams and we are still in last place, so it's not like Heckert is a mastermind.

Indy and Seattle were as bad or worse than us last season and they are now playoff teams and we are still in last place, so it's not like Heckert is a mastermind.

But again it just goes to show the importance of finding that QB that will make your team tick, and once again I dont think we have Russ. I hope we go all out and bring in Alex Smith from 49ers, he is the only QB that might be available that would make this team better right away. Otherwise we are just going to carry on hoping that will find a needle in a haystack that is a Franchise QB for the Browns.

^100%

that could be the solution in the short run. maybe weeds can grow from a FA 'veteran' QB.

BUT remember alex smith's problem before harbaugh was the switching between OCs every 2 years. so bring him in here to do the same thing?

i'm starting to feel queezy about banner. is this gonna be philly double squared?

puke.

^100%

that could be the solution in the short run. maybe weeds can grow from a FA 'veteran' QB.

BUT remember alex smith's problem before harbaugh was the switching between OCs every 2 years. so bring him in here to do the same thing?

i'm starting to feel queezy about banner. is this gonna be philly double squared?

puke.

Yeah hopefully all the changes are made quickly with the front office, so we at least know who we have running the team. As for Alex Smith, he is Younger, Better and more suited to the way our offense is run at the moment than Weeden, saying that it will likely change again with a new Coach coming in. But I feel getting Smith if it didnt cost too much doing so would elevate the team to the next level right away.

gotcha.

at least some type of competitive fire burning under ANY QBs azz at this point would be a good thing,

weeden was 'wired up' for the u.s. version of 'sunday night football' and the only thing i remember about it was a coach going over to weeds and telling him how to talk up his offense.....really? if you're a winner you do that naturally. correct?

i want a dude that's on fire and will scream at his receivers for not running the right routes.

Seattle was no where near as bad as the Browns have been. THey won their division in 2010 (7-9) and won a playoff game that year. ANd in 2011 they were 7-9 also.

We have won 7 or more games only 3 times in the past 14 years

But again it just goes to show the importance of finding that QB that will make your team tick, and once again I dont think we have Russ. I hope we go all out and bring in Alex Smith from 49ers, he is the only QB that might be available that would make this team better right away. Otherwise we are just going to carry on hoping that will find a needle in a haystack that is a Franchise QB for the Browns.

We need a coach to go with the QB. Alex Smith was a bust until Harbaugh got there

Indy has 8 wins over teams with losing records - 7 of which have 5 wins or less. Wait until next year when they get a tougher schedule..

Indy has 8 wins over teams with losing records - 7 of which have 5 wins or less. Wait until next year when they get a tougher schedule..

and next year they won't be riding the emotional high of their coaches illness

Seattle was no where near as bad as the Browns have been. THey won their division in 2010 (7-9) and won a playoff game that year. ANd in 2011 they were 7-9 also.

We have won 7 or more games only 3 times in the past 14 years

True, but you forgot about the epic 6-3 thriller last year when we beat their asses :rolleyes:

True, but you forgot about the epic 6-3 thriller last year when we beat their asses :rolleyes:

I've been trying to forget that since it happened :o

Alex Smith is as much an answer to any teams QB question as Mark Sanchez is. Alex Smith in all his years in the NFL has as many 300+ passing yard games as Weeden had this year.

Well rookie, Russell Wilson seems to be doing a good enough job with averaging under 200yds a game, where does it say a team has to be successful by having 300yd+ passing yards a game, Browns best QB's avg less than 200yd+ per game apart from Kosar who was 202yds per game. Someone who can complete 60-65% plus passes and not throw many interceptions is the type of QB we need on the team, and at the moment the QB screaming out like that is Alex Smith, Weeden possibly is what Smith was when first entering the League but by the time he matures to Smiths level, he will be 34 years old. We just have to accept that we may have made another dumb move selecting Weeden, dont get me wrong I would love I I am wrong but I think most people with some sense of judgement and knowledge of seeing a QB behind a good O-Line like the Browns have got for 15 games and not being that impressed would have the right to bare judgement that he is not upto the task of what we need to go forward.

Well rookie, Russell Wilson seems to be doing a good enough job with averaging under 200yds a game, where does it say a team has to be successful by having 300yd+ passing yards a game

You don't have to throw for tons of yards to win games. But no QB has been able to consistently win while relying on QB sneaks as much as Newton, Wilson, and RG3 do... History tells us this type of QB style is figured out eventually..

I do understand, but there is always circumstance that can alter results. The bottom line in all of this is Heckert is the GM of a team that finishes in last place.

The roster HAS improved, no question. However, it hasn't improved enough.

As I have said, if we elect to keep Heck, it won't bother me. If we dump him it won't bother me.

My guess is we make a clean break. on Monday morning about 10AM we will be informed both Heckert and Shurmer have been relieved of duty.

OK, so maybe Banner is going to "clean house" immediately after the end of the season....Happy New Year.

But....I don't think he can make any moves to replace those he dismisses right away until after the college bowl season ends....or maybe even until the NFL playoffs are over

Names bandied about like Saban and Kelly have to close out their bowl games, and I don't think that all happens until like January 7th or something.

And if a guy like Josh McDaniels is on the list, they will have to wait until the Pats are out of the playoffs....which, if the Pats go to the Super Bowl could be until Mid February.

So look for that as a sign....If someone is hired right after the Bowl games, then a current NFL coordinator may never have been on their list....but if it drags on, then you will know that their sights are set on a McDaniel, or someone still in the NFL playoffs.

I think he should completely clean house.

Get Your people in from the start.

Fans, get used to Heckert being gone. He wasn't that great.

Dawson and Cribbs will probably never be Browns again either. I love those guys ... but it's over.

It's going to be a complete new regime, let's hope it ends the 4-12/5-11 nightmare that has become the Cleveland Browns.

Zombo

I like heckert better than any GM we have had since the browns return however if banner replaces tom heckert with someone he believes can impact this teams draft and FA prospects even more i am all for that to, (catch 22 incoming) as long as banner dont try to sell us a POS known as mike lombardi as that guy..

As for the new HC im expecting a near no name, nothing awesome like kelly or saban i would consider almost anyone within the college rank HCs and a few nfl OCs like josh mcdaniels or jay gruden an excellent upgrade over pat shurmur..

The problem with most of the existing nfl OCs and or DCs is that very few of them are genuinely HC material..

I like heckert better than any GM we have had since the browns return however if banner replaces tom heckert with someone he believes can impact this teams draft and FA prospects even more i am all for that to, (catch 22 incoming) as long as banner dont try to sell us a POS known as mike lombardi as that guy..

As for the new HC im expecting a near no name, nothing awesome like kelly or saban i would consider almost anyone within the college rank HCs and a few nfl OCs like josh mcdaniels or jay gruden an excellent upgrade over pat shurmur..

The problem with most of the existing nfl OCs and or DCs is that very few of them are genuinely HC material..

Brad Seely, our old Special Teams coach, been doing Assistant HC at 49ers aswell as when he was here for a year, and he certainly seems to know how to put together special team units, so might be worth the gamble on him being just as good with running the team overall, just my little input to an outside bet for our new HC.

I think he should completely clean house.

Get Your people in from the start.

Fans, get used to Heckert being gone. He wasn't that great.

Dawson and Cribbs will probably never be Browns again either. I love those guys ... but it's over.

It's going to be a complete new regime, let's hope it ends the 4-12/5-11 nightmare that has become the Cleveland Browns.

Zombo

I may be crazy, but now that Art Modell is dead, I think we start to ascend. The guy fired Paul Brown, and we've been well below .500 ever since. Hell, we haven't even hired an experienced NFL coach since 1963.

Let's hope Haslam gets it right. If any fan base "deserves" a winner, it's us. This season made me sick, with Shurmer playing so damn conservative, and perhaps blowing the 22nd pick.

The roster doesn't need a complete overhaul, we're missing speed on defense and an impact LB. Make LB a priority, and address the guards so we can run block. Get a high energy coach that can teach...sounds easy, we'll see.

I'm sick of seeing many teams go from 4-12 to 10-6, and not us. We're long overdue. I believe we have the NFC North & AFC East next year, so it won't be easy.

Brad Seely, our old Special Teams coach, been doing Assistant HC at 49ers aswell as when he was here for a year, and he certainly seems to know how to put together special team units, so might be worth the gamble on him being just as good with running the team overall, just my little input to an outside bet for our new HC.

Both Bill Cowher and Gunther Cunningham went from being a special teams coaches to HCs, so the move is not unprecedented. In Cowher's case, it was a success. Not so much with Cunningham.

I may be crazy, but now that Art Modell is dead, I think we start to ascend. The guy fired Paul Brown, and we've been well below .500 ever since.

I would have to check, but I do not believe that is true at all.

Hell, we haven't even hired an experienced NFL coach since 1963.

Yes, both Nick Skorich and Eric Mangini were experienced HCs.

Let's hope Haslam gets it right. If any fan base "deserves" a winner, it's us. This season made me sick, with Shurmer playing so damn conservative, and perhaps blowing the 22nd pick.

The roster doesn't need a complete overhaul, we're missing speed on defense and an impact LB. Make LB a priority, and address the guards so we can run block. Get a high energy coach that can teach...sounds easy, we'll see.

Agree

I'm sick of seeing many teams go from 4-12 to 10-6, and not us. We're long overdue. I believe we have the NFC North & AFC East next year, so it won't be easy.

Agree...though in 2007 the Browns did go from like 4-12 to 10-6 no?

Both Bill Cowher and Gunther Cunningham went from being a special teams coaches to HCs, so the move is not unprecedented. In Cowher's case, it was a success. Not so much with Cunningham.

Gunther was a DC.

Cowher started as a ST but became a DC then a HC.

The only ST coaches I remember becoming a HC was the disaster that was Frank Ganz in KC, and the success that is John Harbaugh in Baltimore.

I like Seely a lot.

Zombo

Gunther was a DC.

Cowher started as a ST but became a DC then a HC.

The only ST coaches I remember becoming a HC was the disaster that was Frank Ganz in KC, and the success that is John Harbaugh in Baltimore.

I like Seely a lot.

Zombo

I think I was confusing Ganz and Cunningham....I think they both were with KC, no?

Archived