THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Salary Cap

PoeticG

I'm not sure where we are in regards to our salary cap space available, as of March 13th or so we were 17.4 million under. We've made a couple of cuts and picked up a couple of FA on the DL, signed a few of our own back under contract... But my question is, How the hell are we only 17 mil under the cap? WHO DO WE HAVE THAT TAKES UP THAT MUCH MONEY? Are we that bad that we must pay out the ass to get anyone to come and play here or what?

This is BS man... while the Bengals were like 44 MILLION UNDER THE CAP!!! What the freak? The Ravens were reported to be around 8 or 9 million under the cap... how can this be when everyone says that the talent gap between Cleveland and Baltimore is sooo steep and they are only paying out 8 or 9 million more than we do? Something is just not right with this whole salary cap situation, I think something fishy is going on around here...

This could be why we aren't signing anyone in FA... we just really don't have any money to do it with. This doesn't make any sense what so ever. At this rate I wouldn't even bother buying a Haden jersey because with this kind of finacial burden within Cleveland we wont have the money to resign him anyway, and if we did then we would have to forefit our draft picks for lack of money to sign them...

AND TO HELL WITH SIGNING A FRANCHISE QB IN THE FUTURE, CAN'T AFFORD THAT EITHER... it's no surprise we can never win, the only person that I can think of on Cleveland that warrents big money is Joe Thomas but if he the one causing this catastrophe then I say screw it, cut or trade the guy, we just can't afford a LT that makes as much as the entire Offense combined... this is BULLSHIT.

this much i know. the 17.4mil cap room was calculated right after our initial cuts/signings. so, add 1.6 mil for the skins/cowgirl fiasco, and ~4.5 mil for steiny's cut....or about 23 mil. then we started signing a few folks. everyone prior to steiny's cut was already entered into the cap.

so, use that 23 mil, run off 8-10 mil for draft picks/UDFAs, take out rucker, patterson, parker, and whats left is around 8-12mil depending on the structure of the new contracts.

Dawson? Nope.

Think Bigger- we just locked up our LT for the rest of his career- probably not a cap friendly contract. Our DT- Rubin. and I think Alex Mack?

Also consider Haden, Jackson, Gocong.

Good news is we are locking up the right guys- Mack, Thomas, Rubin, Haden- but these guys don't stay on the team at low salaries.

Its why some on the forum say no to a DB with the #4 pick. We can't spend it all on Oline, Dline and our secondary.

...It sure doesn't seem like a 100 million dollar team as it stands right now. I just don't see how we could get any better, as in if we do get anybody good or any of our draft picks pan out and become stars we'll just have to cut them loose... I hate the salary cap right now.

I think Thomas and Haden account for 22 mil. of it (cap number) this season. Money well spent IMO.

Can you see us drafting a guy like Kalil or Claiborne?

The good news- we have guys like Fujita, Sheldon Brown- coming off the books next year. When you sign free agents like we did with these two- usually the end of their contracts aren't cap friendly.

Don't expect a team like Tampa to make a big splash next season or the year after in free agency.

Jeesh, we could unload Sheldon AND Fujita now and it's not like it would change ANYTHING ANYWAYS... they both stink.

The Browns have in excess of $75 Million tied up in 20 players:

Joe Thomas $11,900,000

Joe Haden $9,765,505

D'Qwell Jackson $6,200,000

Sheldon Brown $5,366,667

Chris Gocong $5,012,500

Benjamin Watson $4,996,666

Scott Fujita $4,316,667

Phil Dawson $3,810,000

Seneca Wallace $3,000,000

Jaqua Parker $3,000,000

Alex Mack $2,463,000

Brandon Jackson $2,250,000

Frostee Rucker $2,000,000

Usama Young $2,000,000

Evan Moore $1,868,750

Phil Taylor $1,866,000

Joshua Cribbs $1,438,000

Ray Ventrone $1,366,667

T.J. Ward $1,650,000

Jabaal Sheard $1,165,000

Add to that an estimated $5 Million for Dimitri Patterson, and $6.5 Million for Athyba Rubin, and you've eaten up $90 Million of the $120, and you still need to pay another 30 players and cover the dead bonuses attributed to Eric Steinbach, Jayme Mitchell... and I think you've got some leftover moneys attributed to Jake Delhomme, Shaun Rogers, David Bowens, and Eric Barton. It just depends on how they treated it last year.

It goes fast.

Cincinnati offloaded a nearly $20 million cap number in 2012 when they traded Carson Palmer last year. So that really affected their budgets for 2012. Most teams won't find themselves $30+ million under the cap.

-jj

Sheldon Brown $5,366,667

Chris Gocong $5,012,500

Scott Fujita $4,316,667

Phil Dawson $3,810,000

Usama Young $2,000,000

Jaqua Parker $3,000,000

...31 Million... That's 31,000,000 dollars on what?

Sheldon is not that good... certainly not worth 5 million dollars... I swear, if he falls down in man coverage again I'm going to lose it all...

GoCong- I'm not sure about Chris right now... still on the fence, but that's my point here- for 5 Million I SHOULD BE SOLD.

Watson- Okay, but personally I want to see the Moore and Cameron Duo Era come to fruition. He's had one good season though and was a nonfactor last year.

Fujita- Old and Slow. He's a leader but we need playmakers, we have a defensive coordinator, we need a playmaking/runstuffing linebacker.

Phil Dawson- Love Dawson but C'mon... Franchised the kicker?! - ****!!!!

Seneca- Horrible teammate and horrible QB... Cut bait and draft the Wilson kid who has much more potential.

Brandon Jackson- WTF- Dude shouldn't get a dime until he takes a snap... reminds me of Bentley.

Young- He's decent but 2 million?

Parker- He's old but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play in our D.

-It's this kind of crap that keeps us in the cellar. I hope that I know this front office enough to trust they are seeing the same things that I am and they decide to unload these guys at the end of their contracts. GoCong WAS pretty solid last year and seems to get better the longer he's here so I'm trusting Heck on him and Parker... But Brown, Watson, Fujita, Seneca and Jackson need to go....

Why does anyone give a flying fadoodle about the money these guys make? They are not going to share any of it with you. Let the GM and the bean counters worry about the salary cap. Just tell us you are bringing in good players. Even if they make only $100,000.00 a year that is probably far, far more than just about anyone who patronizes this board.

Sheldon Brown $5,366,667

Chris Gocong $5,012,500

Scott Fujita $4,316,667

Phil Dawson $3,810,000

Usama Young $2,000,000

Jaqua Parker $3,000,000

...31 Million... That's 31,000,000 dollars on what?

Sheldon is not that good... certainly not worth 5 million dollars... I swear, if he falls down in man coverage again I'm going to lose it all...

GoCong- I'm not sure about Chris right now... still on the fence, but that's my point here- for 5 Million I SHOULD BE SOLD.

Watson- Okay, but personally I want to see the Moore and Cameron Duo Era come to fruition. He's had one good season though and was a nonfactor last year.

Fujita- Old and Slow. He's a leader but we need playmakers, we have a defensive coordinator, we need a playmaking/runstuffing linebacker.

Phil Dawson- Love Dawson but C'mon... Franchised the kicker?! - ****!!!!

Seneca- Horrible teammate and horrible QB... Cut bait and draft the Wilson kid who has much more potential.

Brandon Jackson- WTF- Dude shouldn't get a dime until he takes a snap... reminds me of Bentley.

Young- He's decent but 2 million?

Parker- He's old but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play in our D.

-It's this kind of crap that keeps us in the cellar. I hope that I know this front office enough to trust they are seeing the same things that I am and they decide to unload these guys at the end of their contracts. GoCong WAS pretty solid last year and seems to get better the longer he's here so I'm trusting Heck on him and Parker... But Brown, Watson, Fujita, Seneca and Jackson need to go....

This moronic crap needs to stop. Do you understand that alot of these contract as base salaries, what are considered average or near average for someone their age and at their respective positions (minus Dawson). We can't fucking pay every single person who doesn't make the pro bowl or who doesn't start league minimum. Get your head out of your ass and realize this.

This moronic crap needs to stop. Do you understand that alot of these contract as base salaries, what are considered average or near average for someone their age and at their respective positions (minus Dawson). We can't fucking pay every single person who doesn't make the pro bowl or who doesn't start league minimum. Get your head out of your ass and realize this.

Okay, so you're fine with paying THE pathetic backup QB Seneca Wallace 3 MILLION DOLLARS to ride the pine, bring nothing to the team, contribute nothing, do nothing but pout and be a lockeroom cancer when that 3 MIllion could have went to resigning Hillis or bringing back Vickers... yeah, you're right- THIS DOES NEED TO STOP!

Okay, so you're fine with paying THE pathetic backup QB Seneca Wallace 3 MILLION DOLLARS to ride the pine, bring nothing to the team, contribute nothing, do nothing but pout and be a lockeroom cancer when that 3 MIllion could have went to resigning Hillis or bringing back Vickers... yeah, you're right- THIS DOES NEED TO STOP!

What Wallace gets paid (which is about average for a veteran back up regardless of what kind of teammate he is) has ZERO affect on who the Browns sign while the cap room they have. Hillis didn't get resigned not because of a 3 million dollar contract, but because they don't want to deal with his shit and Vickers isn't going to get resigned not because the Browns can't afford him but because he is a shit WCO fullback who is also shitty in the lockeroom. If the Browns wanted either guy, they would still be here and none of the players on your list have shit to do with it.

Harry Buffalo... I usually agree with most of what you say but how can you say that Vickers was "shit" in the locker room? The guy was the heart and soul of our offense and a leader in the locker room. Tough as nails and never needed any glory, never a me guy, always doing the dirty work and letting the other guys get all the glory... c'mon man. Releasing Vickers was the biggest flaw of THIS FO so far.

Harry Buffalo... I usually agree with most of what you say but how can you say that Vickers was "shit" in the locker room? The guy was the heart and soul of our offense and a leader in the locker room. Tough as nails and never needed any glory, never a me guy, always doing the dirty work and letting the other guys get all the glory... c'mon man. Releasing Vickers was the biggest flaw of THIS FO so far.

Is that why both FO of the two teams he has played on the past two years said he was a crappy lockerroom player? Sorry I guess they all lied because they needed a reason to not resign him other than the fact he can't catch when both system require a FB who can at least grab the ball out of the air 50% of the time.

Bitching about what current players are getting paid (which is league average almost across the board for most players) is pointless. Anyone who isn't a third string player is going to get paid more than minimum.

Archived